Canada Place to Seattle

putty27

We will be on Koningsdam Alaska round trip Vancouver from August 24 - 31 and then we have to get to Seattle for the Japan cruise on Westerdam 

September 1st. Any ideas of the best way to get from Canada Place to a hotel in Seattle. Will probably Uber it to pier 91 on Sept 1.

Thanks for any suggestions.

4 minutes ago, putty27 said:

We will be on Koningsdam Alaska round trip Vancouver from August 24 - 31 and then we have to get to Seattle for the Japan cruise on Westerdam 

September 1st. Any ideas of the best way to get from Canada Place to a hotel in Seattle. Will probably Uber it to pier 91 on Sept 1.

Thanks for any suggestions.

You have a number of options from Vancouver to Seattle

Bus - Quick shuttle departs from Canada Place to Seattle, with a number of options for disembarking in Seattle.

Train - Amtrack departs the Main St train station. You can catch a cab/Uber/Skytrain from Canada Place to the train station

Car Hire - you can hire a car 1-way, but you have the potential for long queues at the border, plus Seattle traffic is crazy.

Fly - You can get cab/Uber/Skytrain/Bus out to YVR and take a short flight down to Seatac.

Ferry - Take the bus down to Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal and catch a BC Ferry to Swartz Bay. Then catch the local bus to Victoria, taking the Clipper high speed ferry to Seattle. Lots of changes, much longer, but more scenic.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Rent a car. They are available at Canada Place itself. Take a leisurely drive down, and drop the car off there. 
My friends and I did that a few years ago, and it worked out well. 

Having driven to and through Seattle way too many times, I certainly wouldn't describe many of the trips as a leisurely drive. Depending on the day and time, you could have up to a 4 hr delay at the border, and then traffic from Everett into Seattle (about 30 miles) is often gridlocked for most of the I-5/I-405.

From our house to Seatac is less than 150 miles, but on some days it can take well over 7 hrs.

8 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Having driven to and through Seattle way too many times, I certainly wouldn't describe many of the trips as a leisurely drive. Depending on the day and time, you could have up to a 4 hr delay at the border, and then traffic from Everett into Seattle (about 30 miles) is often gridlocked for most of the I-5/I-405.

From our house to Seatac is less than 150 miles, but on some days it can take well over 7 hrs.

ABSOLUTELY!!  I live in Everett in the next county north of King (Seattle).  My house is only approx 30 miles from downtown Seattle and I only drive down there under extreme duress.  

During the Amtrak covid shutdown I have driven my car from my home to Vancouver and back a couple of times.  Easy peasy except (as @Heidi13 said) at the border.  But it's the driving in the Seattle metro area that's the pits and something I WOULD NOT recommend for someone unfamiliar with the area.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 3

We took the HAL transfer from Canada Place to SeaTac.  It was fine except we had time constraints because of a flight.   I would not recommend it for a same day flight.  

You could then transfer to a hotel and then to ship.  

7 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

ABSOLUTELY!!  I live in Everett in the next county north of King (Seattle).  My house is only approx 30 miles from downtown Seattle and I only drive down there under extreme duress.  

During the Amtrak covid shutdown I have driven my car from my home to Vancouver and back a couple of times.  Easy peasy except (as @Heidi13 said) at the border.  But it's the driving in the Seattle metro area that's the pits and something I WOULD NOT recommend for someone unfamiliar with the area.

Totally agree. Vancouver to Everett is a pleasant drive, if you time the border correctly. Last few times I headed south of Seattle, I left the house to be passing Everett at 05:30. That was a few years ago, so probably need to be even earlier now.

• Like 1

Amtrak trains run only very early or late,  otherwise it is buses with a stop at the border crossing, slow!  Same with the shuttle buses No matter how you dice it, it’s not quite easy. It’s good you have an overnight!

24 minutes ago, Gigi1977 said:

We took the HAL transfer from Canada Place to SeaTac.  It was fine except we had time constraints because of a flight.   I would not recommend it for a same day flight.  

You could then transfer to a hotel and then to ship.  

Did you find the transfer in with the shore excursions, or some other way?  We have to go from SeaTac to Canada Place next September.  

I would love to take the train but the very early and very late departures aren't convenient.  Quick Shuttle is fine if you really love riding on a bus and making a lot of stops!  Amtrak does run a bus a few times a day from the King Street station on better times, that can be an option but in the end we might just do the one hour flight unless HAL offers a shuttle.

@Cruise NH,  the transfer from Canada Place to Seatac isn't considered to be a shore excursion.  Go into your booking and look for pre and post cruise.  There you'll see the transfers and hotels.  If you can't find it contact your TA and have them add it. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Roz said:

@Cruise NH,  the transfer from Canada Place to Seatac isn't considered to be a shore excursion.  Go into your booking and look for pre and post cruise.  There you'll see the transfers and hotels.  If you can't find it contact your TA and have them add it. 

Thanks. I’ll check that out.

4 hours ago, Cruise NH said:

Did you find the transfer in with the shore excursions, or some other way?  We have to go from SeaTac to Canada Place next September.  

I would love to take the train but the very early and very late departures aren't convenient.  Quick Shuttle is fine if you really love riding on a bus and making a lot of stops!  Amtrak does run a bus a few times a day from the King Street station on better times, that can be an option but in the end we might just do the one hour flight unless HAL offers a shuttle.

It is not with Shore Exc.  You will find it with pre and post cruise travel

with Flight Ease.  

I just checked on Expedia and a one-way one-day rental car from downtown Vancouver to downtown Seattle for Aug. 31 - Sept. 1 will cost between US$160 and $200, depending on vehicle size/type.  For two passengers that works out at $100 pp plus fuel (nominal.)  Those costs include the one-way drop fee.

That's probably more expensive than the bus; it's roughly half what flying would cost (not counting the cost to get to YVR and from SEA locally.)  Both the bus and flying alternatives would require a hotel night in Seattle, at very high cost.  

What I would do is to go the car route.  Monitor the reader boards along BC 99 as you approach the border and go with the crossing with the shortest waits (either the Peace Arch or the Pacific Highway/Truck Crossing, just east of the Peace Arch) then take your time heading south - visit Fairhaven and go along Chuckanut Drive (a very scenic alternative to the I-5 freeway.)  Stop in picturesque La Conner for a late lunch, but then continue south but stop short of Seattle for the night.  By doing so you can (hopefully) avoid Seattle hotel prices for the night, and also parking fees that come with downtown hotels.  There are decent hotels in some of Seattle's northern suburbs; again, if it was me I'd see if there was space in the very cool Silver Cloud Hotel built on piers next to the ferry terminal in Mukilteo, just south of Everett and around a 40-minute drive from Seattle.  

The morning of the first, drive to the rental car station in Seattle, drop the car, Uber to Pier 91, done.  

Note that's Labor/Labour Day weekend in both countries, so traffic won't be typical.  The big rushes at the border will be on Friday and Monday; you'll be traveling on Saturday and Sunday.  

To me, that would present a good combination of economy and a terrific drive.  Map - https://maps.app.goo.gl/zV1dP4ucD75H7WA66

The only option I would consider is flying, period (border crossing and Seattle traffic would be a hard NO for me!)  Getting to YVR from CP is easy, and there is a good light rail system to downtown Seattle from SeaTac.

• Like 1

We used the train after disembarking in Vancouver one trip. Dropped our bags with the bellman at the Pan Pacific and then went exploring for the day. Vancouver has a lot to do. Caught the late afternoon train to Seattle. Worked well and much more comfortable than a bus.

• Like 1

I always take the Bus ( I think it is run via Amtrak).  It's about a 4 hour ride from Vancouver-Seattle.  Stops at the border.  everyone gets out, luggage taken off, go thru x-ray and border check, then everything and everyone gets back on the bus.  Usually there is 1 bathroom break.  Arrives at King Street staton.  Easy to get ride share or Light Rail to your destination.  If you decide to take a train, just make sure you are departing from Vancouver BC...and NOT Vancouver Wa.  The Vancouver BC route does not run at very good times, that's why I take the bus.

On 11/19/2023 at 6:09 PM, Heidi13 said:

Ferry - Take the bus down to Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal and catch a BC Ferry to Swartz Bay. Then catch the local bus to Victoria, taking the Clipper high speed ferry to Seattle. Lots of changes, much longer, but more scenic.

I would not have contemplated the ferry route, but you're absolutely on-point for it being a distinct travel route. It does require attention to the details for making the connections, but if one is up for doing that, then it is practicable. The day of travel, August 31, 2024, will be a Saturday, so the ferry will depart Victoria at 6:30 p.m. (arriving at Pier 69 in Seattle at 9:15 p.m.), so that would be plenty of time to get from Canada Place to Victoria in time, either via local public transportation (Canada Line from Waterfront station to Bridgeport station, 19 minutes; bus route 620 from Bridgeport station to Tsawwassen, 35 minutes; BC Ferries from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay, 1 hour 35 minutes; bus route 70 from Swartz Bay to Victoria, 54 minutes; total travel time excluding waiting time 3 hours 23 minutes) or by Wilson's BC Ferries Connector bus (from Pacific Central station to Victoria, total time including waiting time 3 hours 50 minutes). Great suggestion for an adventurous and scenic trip!

Theoretically, one could also take the Black Ball ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles, and the connecting Greyhound Lines bus from Port Angeles to Seattle, but by the time you got to Port Angeles you would have missed the last connecting bus. Years ago I had taken the Washington State Ferries from Swartz Bay to Anacortes, and the connecting Evergreen Trailways bus from Anacortes to Seattle, but the connecting bus was discontinued several years ago, and now the Washington State Ferries no longer travel internationally. Thus, the only practicable ferry route is the Victoria Clipper service between Victoria and Seattle.

Easiest trip, however, is Quck Coach Lines, direct from Canada Place cruise level departing at 9:10 a.m. or 10:45 a.m., or from Waterfront station at 1:45 p.m., arriving in downtown Seattle at 1:30 p.m., 3:45 p.m., or 6:45 p.m., respectively.

Edited by GTJ
  • Like 1

Slightly off topic, but @putty27, I will let you know that I was on the 26 day Seattle-Japan cruise on the Westerdam this past October (2023).

I would strongly suggest that you try to pack light, buy the laundry package, and bring clothes for warm weather, as it was a lot warmer in Japan than what we were expecting.

Have an amazing time.  Japan is beautiful.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Was going to do the Holland transfer from Canada Place to SeaTac for $168/2 but found out if 15 or less sign up they put you on Quick Shuttle. So booked Quick Shuttle on my own for $100 less and will stay at Coast Gateway Hotel with free shuttle from SeaTac and Uber to pier 91. Seemed the easiest with having to haul luggage.

• Like 3