Club Class Mini Suite

Goody

We purchased a mini suite on Ruby Princess for a 10 night cruise in January.  They are asking us to bid on an upgrade to Club Class which looks to have an exclusive dining area featuring expedited seating with no wait, additional menu options, dedicated waitstaff and tableside preparations.  Plus a few other odds and ends.  Does anyone have personal experience with this?  Is it worth much to do this upgrade?

You will find many opinions on various searches.  There are a few benefits with Club Class/Reserve cabins:

1.  Location, more midship in most situations.

2.  I love the no reservations/no waiting/sometimes a few extra menu items.  

Usually desserts (flambé), lobster thermidor, lamb chops, Caesar Salad, etc.

3.  Keep in mind that you would either need to be the first in or choose 60-90 minutes for next "seating". I have arrived at 5:30 and, depending on port days, may not have to wait.

4.  If you want the same wait staff, let the assistant manager know.  

5.  Priority boarding, disembarkation, and I'm not sure about tendering.

I am not sure if you are aware these cabins are NOT full suites.

Now, is it worth the upbid or extra cost?  Only you can decide what your budget will allow.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

3.  Keep in mind that you would either need to be the first in or choose 60-90 minutes for next "seating". I have arrived at 5:30 and, depending on port days, may not have to wait.

I have never had to wait for Club(Reserve) Class dining and we arrive about 6.30 to 7.15

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Never had to wait more than a couple of minutes no matter what time I arrived - that is the whole point of Reserve Dining.

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

.  Keep in mind that you would either need to be the first in or choose 60-90 minutes for next "seating". I have arrived at 5:30 and, depending on port days, may not have to wait.

Same as the others. If you are saying that you might have to wait like this with Reserve Class then that just isn't true. I've done Club Class then Reserve Class several times. No wait, ever, beyond the minute it takes the host to return to the entrance.

In fact, it appeared to me, but I do not know for certain, that the RC section could accommodate the entire Reserve Class passenger set. It is the same people, at the same tables (or close by) every night.

RC dining is one of the best perks of RC. No wait whatsoever.

• Like 2

It is walk in anytime the DR is open. Reports have been little or no wait. DR open the same hours as the other MDRs for breakfast and dinner each day and lunch on sea days. On the Ruby the Reserve Class (formally Club Class) DR is the starboard side of Da Vinci DR on deck 6 mid ship. The menu is the same as the MDR with one additional menu item each evening, plus some extras. Service is greatly improved. The Reserve Class mini suite cabins are mid ship, deck 9 on the Ruby Princess. They are the same as other mini suite cabins. Dining is the most important benefit. 

There is only one extra dish offered that's not on the menu. The lack of waiting for a table is the main perk of reserve class, the food is the same as the main dining room. Since you're already in a mini suite the cabin will be identical, the location will change. If you're in a mini suite on deck eight you have a fully covered balcony and if you switch to reserve class you will be on deck 9 , not a covered balcony so location is personal choice as to which is a better location. In reserve class there are seldom sharing tables, they are mostly 4 tops and a few 6 tops for bigger groups. 

• Like 1

Clarification:  You may have to wait a few minutes.....

I was on the Diamond Princess:  Club Class/Reserve didn't start to fill up until after 6 PM.  (Late diners).

I was on the Grand/Caribbean:  Line up at the door by 4:45 (5 couples).  The rest trickled in.  Tables filled in during the first hour.  There were always one or two couples "waiting" for me to leave at 6:30/7 PM.  

I was on the Grand (solo) and decided to do dinner between 6:15 - 6:45.  Often I had to wait for "my table/wait staff" for a few minutes as the previous passengers finished up their coffee and dessert.

Wait time is minimal, but sometimes the host/hostess will have you sit in the overflow area until a table opens up.  Once, I mentioned that I would wait at Vines instead.  Hostess came down to let me know that my table was ready.  

Wait time is nearly non-existent if you don't want a window, same table, or the same wait staff.  

On the CB in July, we found crew that we really liked in the overflow area.  Never had to wait.  "Our" table was always available.  On the CB in October, by the end of the second week, I was almost always first in line when the doors opened and walked straight to my favorite table.  

It takes about an hour to 90 minutes to complete dinner.  If you arrive during the first "seating", then you will probably have to wait (for a few minutes).  I did not want to give the impression that Club Class/Reserve dining was "always" a no wait walk in venue.  

Once I saw a family of 4 seated at a small round table for 3.  They didn't want to "wait" for a. table in the larger section.  They were seated next to us in the overflow area and began meal service.  Their order was taken, and they began with cocktails and bread.  THEN they moved to the main area for the rest of their meal.  

I am not implying that the overflow area is bad.  There are 4 - 6 tables in that area.  It can be noisy when the Party Band is in the Piazza.  But it is very entertaining to watch people coming and going.  We happened upon a terrific wait staff and decided to stay with them.  I do like "traditional dining".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, I prefer to eat around 6:30.  Missed too many cocktail hours and tea times.  I seem to pick the "wrong" cabin mates...lol... Sailing solo has its benefits.  

6:30 cocktails 7:30-8:00 dinner. See everyone in the Wheelhouse

• Thanks 1

We had eight cruises on Ruby this year and enjoyed it very much.  I love the Reserve dining area and the lack of waiting.  (Though on one of the Ruby cruises, people lined up an hour ahead!  The staff couldn't figure out why and told folks they didn't need to do it.)   I think the crew in the Reserve area are more laid back and relaxed, maybe because they aren't dealing with large tables.

We only book Reserve minis or suites.

18 hours ago, Goody said:

We purchased a mini suite on Ruby Princess for a 10 night cruise in January.  They are asking us to bid on an upgrade to Club Class which looks to have an exclusive dining area featuring expedited seating with no wait, additional menu options, dedicated waitstaff and tableside preparations.  Plus a few other odds and ends.  Does anyone have personal experience with this?  Is it worth much to do this upgrade?

Depends..Quicker seating. Extra menu items are really nothing to write home about. We had Spaghetti & meatballs as a special(seriously?!) you'll sit with the suite pax. The new Sphere class in 2025 has  restaurants dedicated to both the Reserve Class as well as the Suites. Similar to Cunard or Celebrity(about damn time!)The attention to detail is much better. No feeling of being "rushed". BabsinTX pretty much hit it on the head.