Australian and New Zealand ETA

If you will be visiting Aust and NZ, then naturally you need to fill in the Visa waiver for both countries as we are separate and independent countries. 🙂 Ensure you use the government websites. There are private companies who will 'help' you with the easy process, but at extra cost of course.

What cruise line are you travelling with? Some time ago P&O Aust used Verifly when we needed to up-load details of our COVID vaccination status etc. That isn't needed now and we didn't to fill it in for our cruises in the last few months.

Edited by Aus Traveller

2 hours ago, kelsea82301 said:

We are US citizens going on an Australian / New Zealand cruise.

Do we need to fill out ETA’s for both countries? 
If so, are these the apps we need to use?

Also, do we need to fill in Verifly?

IMG_9520.jpeg

IMG_9521.jpeg

Yes they are the apps you download from your mobile phone's app store. And yes you have to have both. If you have any problems I suggest you ask on the Australia and New Zealand Ports of Call board which has a pinned thread on Australian Visas/ETAs and perhaps do a search for the NZeTA -

Ports of Call - Australia and New Zealand

We can only give you general information here as the majority of us who post on this board are Australians and New Zealanders and we don't need ETAs or NZeTAs to enter each other's country.

There is also a handy pinned thread on Tipping in Australia and New Zealand which may help you as well.

10 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

If you will be visiting Aust and NZ, then naturally you need to fill in the Visa waiver for both countries as we are separate and independent countries. 🙂 Ensure you use the government websites. There are private companies who will 'help' you with the easy process, but at extra cost of course.

What cruise line are you travelling with? Some time ago P&O Aust used Verifly when we needed to up-load details of our COVID vaccination status etc. That isn't needed now and we didn't to fill it in for our cruises in the last few months.

Thank You!  We are cruising on Holland America. I had a friend that told me we needed to do Verifly but when I went in to do it, it only let me choose American Airlines and we are flying Delta.

8 hours ago, possum52 said:

Yes they are the apps you download from your mobile phone's app store. And yes you have to have both. If you have any problems I suggest you ask on the Australia and New Zealand Ports of Call board which has a pinned thread on Australian Visas/ETAs and perhaps do a search for the NZeTA -

Ports of Call - Australia and New Zealand

We can only give you general information here as the majority of us who post on this board are Australians and New Zealanders and we don't need ETAs or NZeTAs to enter each other's country.

There is also a handy pinned thread on Tipping in Australia and New Zealand which may help you as well.

Great! Thanks for your help! I will go check those out!

2 hours ago, kelsea82301 said:

Thank You!  We are cruising on Holland America. I had a friend that told me we needed to do Verifly but when I went in to do it, it only let me choose American Airlines and we are flying Delta.

Verifly was required when HAL (and others) required proof of covid vaccinations. That ended here in August.

15 hours ago, kelsea82301 said:

We are US citizens going on an Australian / New Zealand cruise.

Do we need to fill out ETA’s for both countries? 
If so, are these the apps we need to use?

Also, do we need to fill in Verifly?

IMG_9520.jpeg

IMG_9521.jpeg

Thanks for the laugh this morning.  Asking whether you need separate ETAs for both NZ and Aust is like asking whether you would need separate ETAs for Canada and USA.  Tipping customs top the list.  

Just use the official government websites for both countries to apply. Mostly they are granted the same day, but some of the visas for Australia are chosen for manual processing, and that can literally take months.

You will also need different currencies for each country. You can't use US dollars here. However, most things can be paid for with credit cards.

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2023 at 1:06 PM, MMDown Under said:

Thanks for the laugh this morning.  Asking whether you need separate ETAs for both NZ and Aust is like asking whether you would need separate ETAs for Canada and USA.  Tipping customs top the list.  

On 11/23/2023 at 1:06 PM, MMDown Under said:

I’m glad you had a laugh. 😁 But I’m not sure you took it how I meant it. I have traveled to several foreign countries and have never had to get a visa before so I didn’t know if both countries required a visa or just Australia. 😉

Edited by kelsea82301

19 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Just use the official government websites for both countries to apply. Mostly they are granted the same day, but some of the visas for Australia are chosen for manual processing, and that can literally take months.

You will also need different currencies for each country. You can't use US dollars here. However, most things can be paid for with credit cards.

Great info! Thank You!

Kelsea,  you will make your trip much easier if you do more research on Australia and New Zealand before you come.  A good starting resource for Australia is the www.australia.com

website.   Here's their information on visas:

https://www.australia.com/en/facts-and-planning/visa-and-customs/australia-visa-and-entry-requirements-faqs.html

I'm sure there is a similar one for NZ, which someone will helpfully point you towards. Feel free to ask anything here, once you have done some more research into our two countries - there are no silly questions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kelsea82301 said:

I’m glad you had a laugh. 😁 But I’m not sure you took it how I meant it. I have traveled to several foreign countries and have never had to get a visa before so I didn’t know if both countries required a visa or just Australia. 😉

I laughed because it is a common question.  BTW The airlines used to gather this information on passengers prior to arrival.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

BTW The airlines used to gather this information on passengers prior to arrival.  

Having worked for a US carrier, the reason they checked the the ETA before boarding the flights, is because the Australian immigriation could  fine the airline for transporting people without the proper documents. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Kelsea,  you will make your trip much easier if you do more research on Australia and New Zealand before you come.  A good starting resource for Australia is the www.australia.com

website.   Here's their information on visas:

https://www.australia.com/en/facts-and-planning/visa-and-customs/australia-visa-and-entry-requirements-faqs.html

I'm sure there is a similar one for NZ, which someone will helpfully point you towards. Feel free to ask anything here, once you have done some more research into our two countries - there are no silly questions.

Oh thank you so much! It is a bit overwhelming especially since I have been researching things to do and the visa info and I have read so many different answers. I just don't want to mess up and miss something. I was even told to come to this specific forum to ask the question.

We are going with 3 other couples and our plans are to fly in to Sydney, fly to Cairns for 4 days for the GBR, and then back to Sydney for 3 days. Then on to our cruise with HAL starting in Sydney and ending in Auckland. There are 4 couples and we are all researching and trying to find the best and not to be missed things to do.  One of my assignments was to check on the visas etc. which is why I am trying to be so careful and not miss anything. I will check out your website!  Thank You!!

3 minutes ago, kelsea82301 said:

Oh thank you so much! It is a bit overwhelming especially since I have been researching things to do and the visa info and I have read so many different answers. I just don't want to mess up and miss something. I was even told to come to this specific forum to ask the question.

We are going with 3 other couples and our plans are to fly in to Sydney, fly to Cairns for 4 days for the GBR, and then back to Sydney for 3 days. Then on to our cruise with HAL starting in Sydney and ending in Auckland. There are 4 couples and we are all researching and trying to find the best and not to be missed things to do.  One of my assignments was to check on the visas etc. which is why I am trying to be so careful and not miss anything. I will check out your website!  Thank You!!

Just note that the Australian ETA can only be done on the government official app and the NZeTA can be done either online here or on the NZ government official app.

From a visitor’s perspective, book both a tour and a performance (do that in advance) at the Sydney Opera House!

If you plan to snorkel or dive from Cairns, go with one of the smaller boats (100 pax or so) that “anchors” rather than a larger boat or a tour that goes to one of the artificial islands. 

• Like 1