Will Starlink Internet Connectivity Change the Atmosphere on Board?

Smokeyham

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

My turn to preach :).  The Internet and connectivity is only part of the issue.  We have watched the changes in cruising over fifty years and the changes are dramatic.   When we started in the 70s. cruising was much about socialization, bringing folks together, etc.  Everyone dined at fixed seatings and there were very few 2-tops.  The norm was generally tables for 6 or more.  When I think back to our cruises in the 70s and 80s, the best voyages are memorable because of the new friends we made...often at shared dining tables.  We are still in touch with several of those folks, have had visitors from Europe (that we dined with in Asia) and we have visited several old cruise friends in Europe and the USA.

Now, folks fight to get 2-tops.  They post here on CC about "we don't know what to talk about with strangers,"  "don't want to meet folks," etc.  In the 70s and 80s most would have called the current behavior "antisocial."  Today, many insist it is the norm.  Some folks will sit at a dinner table (at home, restaurant, or cruise ship) and ignore everyone so they can text, read their e-mails, browse the web, etc.  DW and I have actually watched couples in good restaurants spend their entire meal on their phones....never communicating with each other (unless they are texting).

As Internet improves on ships, more folks will use it as a convenient excuse to avoid socialization.  I think (and this is my own opinion) that many younger folks do not have the skills necessary to enjoy a conversation, face to face, with strangers.  They often hide behind their screens and social media.  It is easy to post on social media (when you can be anonymous and avoid confrontation) as opposed to actually talking with a person and exchanging ideas.  DW and I have long followed a rule in our home which is no phone calls or texting at the dinner table with one exception...if it is the grandchildren (shoot us for being hypocrites).  

Whenever I am on a Princess ship, I enjoy spending the early morning near the International Cafe enjoying my cappuccino (DW is still asleep).  At one time it was easy to start chatting with others at nearby tables, and those early mornings have led to some long lasting friendships.  Today, you will usually see nearly everyone with their faces focused on their phone screens.  Kind of sad.

Hank

Yes, times have changed over the years and technology is just one big part of that change.  People do what they enjoy doing, as they should.  That doesn't always match what you or I enjoy doing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Harry Lake said:

I test out as an "extreme extrovert" but my interest in "creating new friends etc." is between slim and none.  There are people that I have short exchanges with and they're pleasant but that's pretty much it for me.

This is us, too.  On vacation, my husband and I want to spend time with each other.  We have great dinner conversations - with each other.  We don't need any extra parties to liven that up.  We're friendly and smile and greet people, and will have a short conversation if engaged, but we're not looking to make new friends.  If we wanted to be with friends on vacation, we would have brought some along. 

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Whenever I am on a Princess ship, I enjoy spending the early morning near the International Cafe enjoying my cappuccino (DW is still asleep).  At one time it was easy to start chatting with others at nearby tables, and those early mornings have led to some long lasting friendships.  Today, you will usually see nearly everyone with their faces focused on their phone screens.  Kind of sad.

I don't think there's anything sad about people relaxing on their vacation, or other downtime, in their chosen way.  Some people enjoy chatting; others don't.  Others do like to chat but might not want to do so first thing in the morning.  Others are sociable but don't want to be approached by strangers.  People who want to socialize, will, and those who don't, won't, regardless of internet connectivity. 

I also don't agree this is "young people these days" behavior. Reading in public, wearing earbuds, and playing electronic games is not new nor is it limited to any demographic.  People read books and newspapers in public long before they did so on phones or Kindles.  The Sony Walkman came out in 1979.  The Nintendo Game Boy came out in 1989 but before that there were portable electronic games as far back as the 70's. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Harry Lake said:

Would you have the same reaction - and sadness - if they were reading the paper version of a newspaper?

ROFL.  I used to live newspapers when they were focused on journalism.  Tiday, the few that remain are political rags pushing their agendas.  But even in the day, we never read papers at the dinner table.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think (and this is my own opinion) that many younger folks do not have the skills necessary to enjoy a conversation, face to face, with strangers. 

Wow, you must be hanging out with the wrong "younger folks." Day in and day out, I don't have that experience. At all.

• Like 1

I enjoy reading, so my face is usually down too, but generally on a paper page. I also do crosswords and coloring books. I don't see that it's any different except that some folks don't ever look up. My introvert self will carry on a conversation, but doing it all the time wears me out, so I have to socialize in scheduled doses.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

ROFL.  I used to live newspapers when they were focused on journalism.  Tiday, the few that remain are political rags puOshing their agendas.  But even in the day, we never read papers at the dinner table.

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry that your focus has gone that way. Maybe try a few of these.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/berlinschoolofcreativeleadership/2017/02/01/10-journalism-brands-where-you-will-find-real-facts-rather-than-alternative-facts/?sh=66973408e9b5

" But even in the day, we never read papers at the dinner table."

Now that's a funny mental picture. I've never seen anyone reading while they're eating. Before and after, especially with the person that you eat three meals a day with, gives us something new to talk about. Chuckle.

Electronic devices are not the problem in and of themselves; they're quite wonderful actually.  The problem is having your nose on a phone as you cross 6 lanes of traffic, as you have dinner with your family, as you share activities with friends.  That I find sad.  The other behaviour of blocking walkways, talking loudly in confined spaces, ignoring the cashier as you check out of the supermarket, using the speaker, stumbling into people  ... that's rude.  It reflects ignorance.    

• Like 2

Some people on here sound like my day 30 years ago or my grandpa 50 years ago. Grandpa complained that his dang kids had to go to school rather than work the fields. Dad complained about them worthless long haired hippy types generation who did nothing to improve the world.

Gives credence to the ole saying, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harry Lake said:

Now that's a funny mental picture. I've never seen anyone reading while they're eating. Before and after, especially with the person that you eat three meals a day with, gives us something new to talk about. Chuckle.

I've read newspapers at the dinner table before, back when newspapers were a thing. I probably did some reading of them while eating, though I won't swear to it. If I did, it was when no one else was dining with me at the table. Newspapers take up a huge amount of space.

I read other things all the time at the family dinner table. We weren't big on dinnertime conversation back in the day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying the various viewpoints here.  My girlfriend is more introverted than and I and much prefers a table for two for our meals.  Many people do, so I think it is good that there is that option.  Although I might prefer more people to share dinner with I do find that we still get to meet other people on board.

Very much agree that the instances of people having conversations on their cell phones in loud voices, or stopping abruptly in the the middle of a passageway, are very annoying.

On 12/1/2023 at 6:26 PM, Harry Lake said:

Oh my goodness, I'm sorry that your focus has gone that way. Maybe try a few of these.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/berlinschoolofcreativeleadership/2017/02/01/10-journalism-brands-where-you-will-find-real-facts-rather-than-alternative-facts/?sh=66973408e9b5

Used to read newspapers over the breakfast table all the time.  Especially on Sunday morning.   

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

Used to read newspapers over the breakfast table all the time.  Especially on Sunday morning.   

Yup, the breakfast paper tradition has always been acceptable.  How nice today that family members can just bring a tablet to breakfast and not have to bother with the pesky papers themselves.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Yup, the breakfast paper tradition has always been acceptable.  How nice today that family members can just bring a tablet to breakfast and not have to bother with the pesky papers themselves.

And help save the planet in the process. From the person who buys shoes made from recycled water bottles!