Will Starlink Internet Connectivity Change the Atmosphere on Board?

Smokeyham

I reading about many ships adding Starlink satellite equipment to improve internet connectivity.   If this results in improved internet speed/reliability, and decreased cost to access, I am wondering if this will change the atmosphere on board?  I'm thinking that more people be on their phones, making calls and also more people will be working while on board.  

There are already a fair number of people, including ourselves  using devices on board but it still seems to be less than in other public locations such as airports.  Will the increased connectivity mean that people will be focused on their devices in bars and other venues so there will be less social interaction?

What are your thoughts?

16 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I suspect it will, for the reasons you state. It has certainly made internet access much easier, and the cruise lines seem pretty generous in that they (at least the cruise lines I am familiar with) aren't limiting access in any way.

Of course, there are advantages to the increased connectivity but I am a bit worried that the sense of a group of people being together on a journey will be lost if we are more connected to the outside world.

27 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

Of course, there are advantages to the increased connectivity but I am a bit worried that the sense of a group of people being together on a journey will be lost if we are more connected to the outside world.

Are you concerned that less people will be reading hard copy books, reading their electronic books, playing cards, reading a hard copy newsletter, sitting in the library, etc and that more people will be socializing via their wifi connected devices?

I don't see how having access to wifi causes issues. I remember my grandfather complaining about having a phone in his house. His thoughts were that if he wanted to speak to someone, he'd just go visit them.

If anything, it makes life easier. I could have taken more cruises had I been able to connect my computer remotely and had wifi calling that was reliable for work purposes.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Are you concerned that less people will be reading hard copy books, reading their electronic books, playing cards, reading a hard copy newsletter, sitting in the library, etc and that more people will be socializing via their wifi connected devices?

I don't see how having access to wifi causes issues. I remember my grandfather complaining about having a phone in his house. His thoughts were that if he wanted to speak to someone, he'd just go visit them.

If anything, it makes life easier. I could have taken more cruises had I been able to connect my computer remotely and had wifi calling that was reliable for work purposes.

I wonder if passengers will be more focused on being connected, via devices, with people they already know than in creating new friends and connections on board.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

This, but it already got to be that way, for the most part, at least for us.

When it became clear that DH really had zero interest in retiring, but... the remaining time to "take those dream trips" was, er, getting shorter, I told him:

"I'd much rather that you have your laptop on your laptop on a ship or resort balcony than on a desk at home... let's get going!😁

And so we did!

(And I had my laptop on my laptop, too. 😉

(We made one early very expensive mistake in not understanding how the connection rates worked if one didn't get some plan at the very start of the cruise, but... live and learn!  After that, we *always* get an unlimited plan if it's available, and one usually is, so he doesn't have to worry about logging off while he drafts an email reply or such or if there's just more online needed than expected.  We just consider that as "part of the cost of the trip", and not as something optional.  To some extent, just "knowing he could log on whenever he wanted to" took away some of the "away from work" worries.)

GC

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smokeyham said:

I reading about many ships adding Starlink satellite equipment to improve internet connectivity.   If this results in improved internet speed/reliability, and decreased cost to access, I am wondering if this will change the atmosphere on board?  I'm thinking that more people be on their phones, making calls and also more people will be working while on board.  

There are already a fair number of people, including ourselves  using devices on board but it still seems to be less than in other public locations such as airports.  Will the increased connectivity mean that people will be focused on their devices in bars and other venues so there will be less social interaction?

What are your thoughts?

I don't think you can compare to an airport waiting area.  But yeah, I expect there will be more on-line activity.  And more folks who need to conduct business will be able to do that business.  Will it be noticeable?  Your guess is as good as mine.  I don't really consider it a negative.  People are gonna do what they are gonna do.   

• Like 3

Even with the less capable current connectivity, with the internet plans offered on board and the number of people purchasing them, there already is a large number of connected people using their devices on a daily basis for posting photos, checking emails, surfing the internet, and accessing the many social media sites.  Not sure if this will change dramatically, but certainly better, cheaper (if in fact it becomes so) service will attract many who maybe are not as connected on board currently.

But so be it.  As others have suggested, what other passengers do on board regarding the internet has no affect on me or how I enjoy my cruising.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

If people feel a need to make friends and connections  or just want to socialize with other cruisers they will; regardless  of their ability to have decent internet. The only big difference I forsee with Starlink is the decreased incidence of the air turning blue around people when their connections drop or their device is constantly buffering. 

• Thanks 1

As long as they're not slowly walking down the hall looking at a phone, stopping dead in the middle of everything, or having loud conversations, I won't care.  I do feel sorry for people who would rather play with a device than enjoy a ship or a port ... but it's their problem, none of my business.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

It has already changed.

We are seeing many more Americans loudly chatting on their mobile telephones in public areas, disturbing other guests.

Something we really enjoyed in Japan was the cultural norm not to have conversations while on a cell phone on trains and other public transport.

5 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Something we really enjoyed in Japan was the cultural norm not to have conversations while on a cell phone on trains and other public transport.

We were on the Koningsdam with non-Starlink internet for 16 days last New Year (and many cruises before the pandemic), and I cannot recall hearing/overhearing an audible phonecall. That is what texting/messaging is for! When my husband had to join a conference call, we went to the cabin. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

It has already changed.

We are seeing many more Americans loudly chatting on their mobile telephones in public areas, disturbing other guests.

So, conversations are now to be discouraged in public areas? Because,  if one person talking on a phone is disturbing, then multiple people talking to other people must be many more times as disturbing.  I would say that in most public areas onboard ship, it is the loudness of any  conversations that can be problematic,  and not the conversation itself.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It will change things. It will allow younger cruisers to travel a lot more. Instead of waiting till retirement we can work from our stateroom during the day and enjoy the ship the rest of the time. I am looking at eventually cruising for 3-4 months a year and working as I travel. I think you’ll see a lot more middle age cruisers who aren’t just on a one week vacation when they can get away from the office.

So the change could very well be reducing the average age by a few years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mom says said:

So, conversations are now to be discouraged in public areas? Because,  if one person talking on a phone is disturbing, then multiple people talking to other people must be many more times as disturbing.  I would say that in most public areas onboard ship, it is the loudness of any  conversations that can be problematic,  and not the conversation itself.

My personal observation is that people tend to talk louder when on their phone.  And that it's even worse when they have it on speaker.

• Like 6

I've been pleased to notice that no one has been on their phones at our tables in MDR, in Diamond Club, or other venues we've spent time in on our last couple years of cruises.

However, this week, at home, I'm noticing something I find very strange.

I joined a group on another site because we thought we might book that cruise. That cruise is now happening, and every day I get multiple messages from people onboard.

"Where is ----"

"Do they sell --- onboard?"

"Anyone want to play cards?"

"I lost my ----"

(And another one that was much too personal to repeat here, IMO.)

Why are they posting this online, instead of turning to another passenger or a crew member, or Guest Services, or walking to the shops?  Are they all sitting in their cabins, looking for all their answers online?  Is any face-to-face contact going on this week?

We have been on several cruises with Starlink and yes, more people are on their phones, especially in coffee shops and on the pool deck. 

It hasn’t negatively impacted our cruises. 🤷 

@BruceMuzz Incessant, loud talking on the phone (or on speaker phones) is not something only Americans do … 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2023 at 1:07 PM, Smokeyham said:

I wonder if passengers will be more focused on being connected, via devices, with people they already know than in creating new friends and connections on board.

I test out as an "extreme extrovert" but my interest in "creating new friends etc." is between slim and none.  There are people that I have short exchanges with and they're pleasant but that's pretty much it for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2023 at 12:40 AM, BruceMuzz said:

Are those generally older people...and I'm one of those. I find younger people make little to no noise. Ear buds in place, quiet talk. They've been at this a long time now.

• Like 2

My turn to preach :).  The Internet and connectivity is only part of the issue.  We have watched the changes in cruising over fifty years and the changes are dramatic.   When we started in the 70s. cruising was much about socialization, bringing folks together, etc.  Everyone dined at fixed seatings and there were very few 2-tops.  The norm was generally tables for 6 or more.  When I think back to our cruises in the 70s and 80s, the best voyages are memorable because of the new friends we made...often at shared dining tables.  We are still in touch with several of those folks, have had visitors from Europe (that we dined with in Asia) and we have visited several old cruise friends in Europe and the USA.

Now, folks fight to get 2-tops.  They post here on CC about "we don't know what to talk about with strangers,"  "don't want to meet folks," etc.  In the 70s and 80s most would have called the current behavior "antisocial."  Today, many insist it is the norm.  Some folks will sit at a dinner table (at home, restaurant, or cruise ship) and ignore everyone so they can text, read their e-mails, browse the web, etc.  DW and I have actually watched couples in good restaurants spend their entire meal on their phones....never communicating with each other (unless they are texting).

As Internet improves on ships, more folks will use it as a convenient excuse to avoid socialization.  I think (and this is my own opinion) that many younger folks do not have the skills necessary to enjoy a conversation, face to face, with strangers.  They often hide behind their screens and social media.  It is easy to post on social media (when you can be anonymous and avoid confrontation) as opposed to actually talking with a person and exchanging ideas.  DW and I have long followed a rule in our home which is no phone calls or texting at the dinner table with one exception...if it is the grandchildren (shoot us for being hypocrites).  

Whenever I am on a Princess ship, I enjoy spending the early morning near the International Cafe enjoying my cappuccino (DW is still asleep).  At one time it was easy to start chatting with others at nearby tables, and those early mornings have led to some long lasting friendships.  Today, you will usually see nearly everyone with their faces focused on their phone screens.  Kind of sad.

Hank

• Like 3

If anything and it brings a little less engagement then that means the ship may just be less busy and so there's more room out there there on the deck, more space, and more quiet for me! :classic_biggrin:

Jk kinda sorta not rlly idk :classic_ninja:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Harry Lake said:

I test out as an "extreme extrovert" but my interest in "creating new friends etc." is between slim and none.  There are people that I have short exchanges with and they're pleasant but that's pretty much it for me.

^^^ This ^^^

I have not been cruising as long or as numerous-ly as Hank, but I did start in 1995 and suffered the forced togetherness of fixed dining on three ocean and three river cruises up to 2012. They are decidedly not my fondest memories. Certainly no one that I am still in contact with. Actually only the wife of one couple and one solo (at the same riverboat table) that I can even draw to mind.

Then came "free style" on NCL followed shortly by other lines. I believe this is the slippery slope for Hank. No longer were you attached at the hip with people you had nothing in common with. You could sit with NEW people (that you had nothing in common with) nightly and get a big smile from the Maitre-d' when you didn't insist on a 2-top.

As the extrovert in our couple, I got to engage with the table as my food inevitably got cold.

So for the OP's question: Will Starlink Internet Connectivity Change the Atmosphere on Board? I can only say, hopefully. Will it let me stay in touch with my almost-homebound mother? And my perpetually in isolation chronically-ill sister? Will it let me cruise for 35-days, when I otherwise could not think of doing so? Will it let my husband and I sit quietly together, even if it's reading on our Kindles? If that's what we enjoy.

This is not "Kind of sad." This is the new world of connection. 

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1