Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

26 minutes ago, island lady said:

Only the 600 plus full world cruisers are allowed to bring wine on board at various ports....as I explained to friends of ours that were quarter cruisers like us.  And they found out the wine was taken from them as they came on board.  

Chocolate...no problem..,,,have brought many bars on board already.  

Well a trade you a chocolate bar for a bottle of wine trick should work.🤣.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Coming out from the harbor that holds Ushuaia, to rejoin the Beagle Channel, I noticed a set of small rock islands with a light house at the end.  This we had to come around to circle back north.  The rocks looked like they were frosted with icing.  Ummm...yeah...stinky icing.  😛

Though my crappy phone camera cannot pick it up...binoculars showed hundreds of Penguins on the rocks, and a bunch of Sea Lions.  One tour boat circling for photo shots.  

20240118_130308.jpg

20240118_130351.jpg

20240118_130406.jpg

Patricia,

I was on one of those excursion boats this morning.  Here are a few photos:IMG_7153.thumb.jpeg.6f305b29d9b083dd28f03fd9c0f3585e.jpeg

Lighthouse at the end of the World

IMG_7177.thumb.jpeg.411cce49efe6b33b57777c1575db6672.jpeg

IMG_7193.thumb.jpeg.d11a4c4734e5e906a97c14a2d9e1016c.jpeg

Pat2

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

How do you handle getting monthly medications on a trip like this?  Insurance won't fill more than one month at a time.  Can't get deliveries on a boat.

Many insurances will override their max limits if you contact them and explain the extenuating circumstances.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, taznremmy said:

Patricia,

I was on one of those excursion boats this morning.  Here are a few photos:IMG_7153.thumb.jpeg.6f305b29d9b083dd28f03fd9c0f3585e.jpeg

Lighthouse at the end of the World

IMG_7177.thumb.jpeg.411cce49efe6b33b57777c1575db6672.jpeg

IMG_7193.thumb.jpeg.d11a4c4734e5e906a97c14a2d9e1016c.jpeg

Pat2

Oh wow...so cool!  Thanks!  I could see the same thing with my binoculars, but frustrated I could not get these close up shots like you did...my phone camera not really a camera.  😉 

Great shots!

Was it really stinky when your tour boat was down wind?  I could smell it from the ship when we went around the other side.  😲😉

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

How do you handle getting monthly medications on a trip like this?  Insurance won't fill more than one month at a time.  Can't get deliveries on a boat.

Both of our doctors regularly give us 90 day supplies....for years.  And my insurance does indeed cover that 90 day supply.   Since we opted for 1st and last quarter (63 nights each)....was not a problem for us.  

Current position.   Due to arrive Punta Arenas at 9 am....though no way we will tender there.  Forecast for 60 mile an hour wind gusts there.  Currently calm here on the east side of one of the big land masses while we tootle up the Magellan strait.  Mother Nature in control of the weather at each port.....not us.  So we just go on cruising.  😉 

Strange route captain took last night...but made for some nice viewing until I could not stay awake and the light was dimming.  The glaciers and the many, many waterfalls were mesmerizing.  

Oh...and BTW....this map they show on the TV is not very good.  Punta Arenas and Magellan straits locations are wrong. 😉   I wish they had the better TV system like on the larger ships.  

20240119_051120.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Oh wow...so cool!  Thanks!  I could see the same thing with my binoculars, but frustrated I could not get these close up shots like you did...my phone camera not really a camera.  😉 

Great shots!

Was it really stinky when your tour boat was down wind?  I could smell it from the ship when we went around the other side.  😲😉

What do you gave for a phone?

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Android.  Big fan of Google.  

Maybe a bit more specific?😉 Samsung has some pretty good cameras in its flagship phones. I haven't even brought a stand alone camera along on my past couple of cruises.

• Like 4

8:10 am captain made the official announcement of no tendering.  Port of Punta Arenas closed the port to small boats (which of course cancels our tender boats).   Then 20 minutes later was the announcement that the port then closed to all shipping and actually told ships at the port of all sizes to leave.  Getting wicked out there.  

Funny how clueless some pax are though.  Several at breakfast argued with me that we would still tender...which they proclaimed at 10 minutes before the Captain's announcement.  For some reason they were a tad quiet after that.  huh....  😉  I can't be the only one that bothers to check the weather in advance for upcoming ports? 😳

So...Mother Nature said sorry about your cancelled plans...but will send you off with a view of one of my rainbows.  😉   We are going to have some beautiful sights again by this afternoon of more glaciers and waterfalls.  For some reason I just can't get enough of those.  🥰

20240119_064848.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 19

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Maybe a bit more specific?😉 Samsung has some pretty good cameras in its flagship phones. I haven't even brought a stand alone camera along on my past couple of cruises.

Ooops sorry...yes Samsung Galaxy A10e.   Probably at least 5 years old.  I am comfortable with it, though indeed takes crappy pictures.  I guess if I were a real camera nut...I would buy an actual camera.  😉 

At some point, probably time to upgrade the phone...but I am lazy of the type..."If it ain't broke...don't fix it".   😄 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, island lady said:

Ooops sorry...yes Samsung Galaxy A10e.   Probably at least 5 years old.  I am comfortable with it, though indeed takes crappy pictures.  I guess if I were a real camera nut...I would buy an actual camera.  😉 

At some point, probably time to upgrade the phone...but I am lazy of the type..."If it ain't broke...don't fix it".   😄 

The cameras between my Samsung S8 and my S22 are like night and day. It took a bit before I trusted it enough to leave my camera at home but I'm very pleased with the pictures it takes.

Anyway, I don't want to sidetrack your awesome thread.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The cameras between my Samsung S8 and my S22 are like night and day. It took a bit before I trusted it enough to leave my camera at home but I'm very pleased with the pictures it takes.

Anyway, I don't want to sidetrack your awesome thread.

Gosh no...thanks!   I may have to finally get off my laziness and upgrade!  🙂 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, island lady said:

Coming out from the harbor that holds Ushuaia, to rejoin the Beagle Channel, I noticed a set of small rock islands with a light house at the end.  This we had to come around to circle back north.  The rocks looked like they were frosted with icing.  Ummm...yeah...stinky icing.  😛

Though my crappy phone camera cannot pick it up...binoculars showed hundreds of Penguins on the rocks, and a bunch of Sea Lions.  One tour boat circling for photo shots.  

20240118_130308.jpg

20240118_130351.jpg

20240118_130406.jpg

Not Penguins 

20240117154042_IMG_0843.thumb.JPG.f3fc92736c01ecc25a1c6be1c1d78089.JPG

20240117152609_IMG_0809.thumb.JPG.1b4d12f87475bcd674dace8635f671ce.JPG

20240117152121_IMG_0802.thumb.JPG.0ba4594875a1cd5e36623cae5760a567.JPG

20240117151740_IMG_0794.thumb.JPG.0e5dc3cb036b4913b522dcb559ebdfec.JPG

20240117151217_IMG_0765.thumb.JPG.2717891c9cf1d6cf9e2a5b4d5adcb060.JPG

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

Nice! Though I'm not at all impressed with the crowd at the rail. Laura didn't appear all that happy with it either. It reminds me somewhat of the old style safety drills.🫥

• Like 3
  • Haha 1