Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

2 hours ago, island lady said:

That's good.  We have been sticking to first traditional for a few years ago.  It works well for us.  

Dave knows what I am talking about.  😉 

I sure do. We switched from MTD back to TD the same year, on the same ship and on the same sailing you did. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Though the little buggers are way too fast for me to get a good picture of them.  Great spotting with the binoculars though.  🙂 

I gave up trying to get pics of fast creatures. Now I just flip to video and use that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Ran the numbers for Icon as well, sailing the same week as the Silver Sea cruise, and a GS on Icon is ~$400/day more than Silver Sea😱

But is that just the new factor that afflicts most large cruise lines?  Looking forward to sailing Icon…in about 3 years 😜

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

OOOhhh...my favorite cabin class on Wonder, though GS is always our favorite go to cabin, but it's even better on Wonder.   🥰   Love the location on same floor CK/SL.   🤗

Enjoy your cruise!  🙂 

thanks! That’s why we book it on Wonder! It’s all about location, location, location 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Ran the numbers for Icon as well, sailing the same week as the Silver Sea cruise, and a GS on Icon is ~$400/day more than Silver Sea😱

Which Silver Sea were you looking at?  I’m thinking of doing a shorter cruise for the first time and I found a nice one to Alaska which is on our bucket list but we’ve never don’t yet.

51 minutes ago, jakeil7 said:

But is that just the new factor that afflicts most large cruise lines?  Looking forward to sailing Icon…in about 3 years 😜

Point is that on Icon for your $$$ you get nothing, and for RCL's sister cruise line (including their brand new ship the Silver Nova delivered last year), for fewer $$$ you get Everything.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Which Silver Sea were you looking at?  I’m thinking of doing a shorter cruise for the first time and I found a nice one to Alaska which is on our bucket list but we’ve never don’t yet.

The Silver Nova (which is currently sailing around South America) is scheduled to be doing 7 night Alaska cruises (Vancouver to Seward and Seward to Vancouver) all summer 2024. Prices for 7 night cruises start at ~$3,600/pp for "port to Port" and ~$6,300/pp door to door.

Capture.JPG

Edited by orville99

8 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Point is that on Icon for your $$$ you get nothing, and for RCL's sister cruise line (including their brand new ship the Silver Nova delivered last year), for fewer $$$ you get Everything.

Totally different experience and a different market. C'est La Vie

• Like 1

How did this become thoughts, impressions, and observations of Silver Sea?

How about we go back to the good stuff on Serenade. 

Edited by CSHS1979
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Another_Critic said:

You must be new here.  😉

Kind of, but 'live' threads are not supposed to be hijacked off topic. A little bird told me that😉

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

Totally different experience and a different market. C'est La Vie

Yep, and sailing on an amusement park on steroids is not a demographic with whom I choose to associate. If I am going to spend my money, it will be where we find the maximum satisfaction for us. YMMV.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

How did this become thoughts, impressions, and observations of Silver Sea?

How about we go back to the good stuff on Serenade. 

Because 50 pages ago (or so) someone on this thread asked a reasonable and logical question about what other world cruises were available, and a few pages ago Pat posted about how nice the Silver Nova looked.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The Silver Nova (which is currently sailing around South America) is scheduled to be doing 7 night Alaska cruises (Vancouver to Seward and Seward to Vancouver) all summer 2024. Prices for 7 night cruises start at ~$3,600/pp for "port to Port" and ~$6,300/pp door to door.

Capture.JPG

I’m actually getting a quote for the 14 night Vancouver to Vancouver itinerary. May 22 - June 5.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, doghog said:

I sure do. We switched from MTD back to TD the same year, on the same ship and on the same sailing you did. 

Yup, indeed...we both opened our eyes on that cruise.  Have been happy with first traditional ever since.  Love being able to just walk in and head right to our table...no lines...no waiting.  😉 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Which made it very easy to spot a huge pod of jumping Spinner Dolphins.

We had huge pods of dolphins chase us (within 10-15 yards of the ship) off the west coast of Panama on our B2B in November - hopefully they will still be active when you get up there.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Because 50 pages ago (or so) someone on this thread asked a reasonable and logical question about what other world cruises were available, and a few pages ago Pat posted about how nice the Silver Nova looked.

Yes I did.  Thank you!  Simply posting real experiences about ships that we encounter along our journey.   And yes...I fell in love with that ship at first sight.  😉  Just cannot not help but research each one we associate with as we travel and post info about them.  Always find it interesting, and hope others do as well.   Love thy neighbor.  😄 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Lunch today at Chops with dear friends Lee and Adida.   Such a great time.  Our favorite breakfast waiter.  On a side not, Ellen came in briefly to say hello.  She has a badly pulled muscle in her calf and has not been in for awhile.  We miss her.  

20240125_104939.jpg

20240125_105820.jpg

• Like 13

51 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We had huge pods of dolphins chase us (within 10-15 yards of the ship) off the west coast of Panama on our B2B in November - hopefully they will still be active when you get up there.

We had a large pod of spinner dolphins swimming by during lunch today, and passed some seals popping their heads up shortly after that!  We’re always glad to see wildlife!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CSHS1979 said:

Kind of, but 'live' threads are not supposed to be hijacked off topic. A little bird told me that😉

I agree 100%, but it is what it is.
I don't follow this excellent thread to read about retirement plans or debates on other cruise lines/ships. I do a pass on those posts and read the live reports that real cruisers actually on this cruise post. I really appreciate them taking their time out the vacation of a life time to take us along with them virtually.

• Like 11

Kind of a random question for anyone on the WC - what's the trivia like? We love to play the various trivia's and I was wondering how the CD crew was getting along on the WC? Not like the typical week long cruises when you can recycle weekly... 🙂

Not much land to see at all on this sea day, but with the binoculars can just now see a large high point of land/peninsula called Antofagasta.   Pulling up info on it, looked like a pretty little harbor near the mountain.  Shame we had to miss it.  Very arid now, and from the looks of it...next port Arica is very dry and almost desert like.  Will be an interesting port...and very hot!   From totally cool/cold weather to very hot just like that.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1