Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

13 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

John says Visas and YF vaccine will be provided. That helps 

That vaccine isn't  as safe for people 60 and over, it's more safe if you are younger.

People aged ≥60 years may be at increased risk for serious adverse events (serious disease or, very rarely, death) following vaccination, compared with younger persons. This is particularly true if they are receiving their first yellow fever vaccination.

https://nathnacyfzone.org.uk/factsheet/20/individuals-aged-60-years-and-older

Edited by Jimbo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I didnt read every word but sounded like someone was keeping the company going and working thru the bankruptcy filing. They arent out of business just filling bankruptcy and goig to keep on. Not a file and stop sailing filing. 

I hope you dont lose any money.  

No the website clearly states all cruises are cancelled.  😧 

I have an email into the owner of the beautiful winery guest we are staying at in Dundee Oregon.  They have those 2 weeks available, just waiting to hear back to give them the money.   Actually I think it will work out for the best anyway, I have had serious doubts about the American Empress anyway due to bad reviews that have come about since I booked.  

The worst thing is...I will probably never see my money refunded...that company is that bad.  Will give them 30 days, then hiring a lawyer.  Even if the lawyer takes half...I am still that far ahead of zip.  😉 

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

If you have had the YF vaccine in the past your r good to go. They used to be good for 10 years but now WHO says they have enough data that they are good for life. I have had it twice in the past but they have now changed my certificate for my last YF vaccine to show that it is good for “lifetime of bearer”. I had both of mine before 60 and no side effects. My husband had his first YF vaccine after 60 and did not have any side effects.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, ringers0815 said:

If you have had the YF vaccine in the past your r good to go. They used to be good for 10 years but now WHO says they have enough data that they are good for life. I have had it twice in the past but they have now changed my certificate for my last YF vaccine to show that it is good for “lifetime of bearer”. I had both of mine before 60 and no side effects. My husband had his first YF vaccine after 60 and did not have any side effects.

Back in 1966 (when I started to travel internationally) YF vaccination was still required to get back in the U.S.. Not sure when that policy was eliminated, but my understanding at the time was that the vaccination requirement was intended for travelers to protect the country you were entering, not the country you were coming from.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

I have an email into the owner of the beautiful winery guest we are staying at in Dundee Oregon.  They have those 2 weeks available, just waiting to hear back to give them the money.   Actually I think it will work out for the best anyway, I have had serious doubts about the American Empress anyway due to bad reviews that have come about since I booked.  

The worst thing is...I will probably never see my money refunded...that company is that bad.  Will give them 30 days, then hiring a lawyer.  Even if the lawyer takes half...I am still that far ahead of zip.  😉 

Sorry you are having to deal with this. Hoping that you recover all the money that you've paid in.

• Like 3

Sunset last night.

IMG_1279.thumb.jpeg.047b85ba3aac65e499a96989e9a2aded.jpeg

We had a shower this morning then beautiful sunny skies. First of 4 sea days on our way to French Polynesia.

IMG_1318.thumb.jpeg.2ee4378dbfda4dbdd98a499eaebf2ff3.jpeg

IMG_1301.thumb.jpeg.329a9fa8247536447628df8fe0c331f0.jpeg

A bit of wind and waves but the Serenade rides the waves very well.

IMG_1325.thumb.jpeg.5e51190c7eed00d7ae77ba844bc70658.jpeg

These show up in our stateroom very often. Not sure if Royal does this for all cruises (we have not cruised with them in recent years) or just for the world cruise but it’s nice.

IMG_1297.thumb.jpeg.b4fb5cb0a37f15b24b6ae725c8a80ecb.jpeg

we are well treated on this cruise. The food has been excellent so far, the crew is very friendly and the service is great.

• Like 35

21 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Back in 1966 (when I started to travel internationally) YF vaccination was still required to get back in the U.S.. Not sure when that policy was eliminated, but my understanding at the time was that the vaccination requirement was intended for travelers to protect the country you were entering, not the country you were coming from.

Yes the vaccine is both to protect you and so you don’t bring it with you. Many countries won’t let you in if you have been to a country where YF is endemic and you are not vaccinated. That is why many people may have had at least one YF vaccine already. And now that it’s recognized to be good for life (not just 10 years) it makes life simpler for many travelers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Pat, see below. Hope it helps.

Thanks...but if you click on that...it times out.   Will not advance, believe me...I have tried multiple times...sigh. 

But thanks anyway.   And all calls to the number listed on the website...gets disconnected.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CSHS1979 said:

My sister gave us the YF vaccine, along with typhoid...before we left Miami.   And yes, we are both over the 60 plus group.  

BTW...my sister is doctor of infectious diseases...a professional, even the FBI consults with her on possible bio attacks.    She knows what she is doing, versus the "pretend doctors" that get their information online.    😉 

Definitely get John to do the YF vax.  🙂 We had no side effects at all.  Contrary to pretend docs advice.  😄 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Sorry you are having to deal with this. Hoping that you recover all the money that you've paid in.

Ehh..."poop" happens.  Will continue to battle to get our $$$ back, but could be a lost cause.  I am actually quite happy with the end result.  Talked to the winery owner on the phone, and she is setting us up as an additional two weeks at their guest house. 🤗 I think we will enjoy it more.  😉 

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, ringers0815 said:

Sunset last night.

IMG_1279.thumb.jpeg.047b85ba3aac65e499a96989e9a2aded.jpeg

We had a shower this morning then beautiful sunny skies. First of 4 sea days on our way to French Polynesia.

IMG_1318.thumb.jpeg.2ee4378dbfda4dbdd98a499eaebf2ff3.jpeg

IMG_1301.thumb.jpeg.329a9fa8247536447628df8fe0c331f0.jpeg

A bit of wind and waves but the Serenade rides the waves very well.

IMG_1325.thumb.jpeg.5e51190c7eed00d7ae77ba844bc70658.jpeg

These show up in our stateroom very often. Not sure if Royal does this for all cruises (we have not cruised with them in recent years) or just for the world cruise but it’s nice.

IMG_1297.thumb.jpeg.b4fb5cb0a37f15b24b6ae725c8a80ecb.jpeg

we are well treated on this cruise. The food has been excellent so far, the crew is very friendly and the service is great.

Beautiful pictures.   🙂 Thanks for sharing!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks...but if you click on that...it times out.   Will not advance, believe me...I have tried multiple times...sigh. 

But thanks anyway.   And all calls to the number listed on the website...gets disconnected.   

Try at 3am - 4am, with less traffic on the site hopefully.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL...this was payment in advance over a year ago...but thanks anyway.  😉 

Actually you can still dispute this charge with your credit card. I worked at amex in disputes. There are things you buy in advance that can be disputed. Like a wedding dress for a wedding in the future or retail stuff like custom furniture being made. 

Stuff that is to be delivered in the future can be disputed. They may  not want to take the dispute, but legally you can dispute charges past the usual 90 day limit for items to be delivered at a later date. The phone or site might bump it out on date of charge but I've done charges past the usual date like this. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Actually you can still dispute this charge with your credit card. I worked at amex in disputes. There are things you buy in advance that can be disputed. Like a wedding dress for a wedding in the future or retail stuff like custom furniture being made. 

Stuff that is to be delivered in the future can be disputed. They may  not want to take the dispute, but legally you can dispute charges past the usual 90 day limit for items to be delivered at a later date. The phone or site might bump it out on date of charge but I've done charges past the usual date like this. 

OK...worth a try...thanks!   🙂   Will be hitting all the options over the next few weeks.  Won't give up. 

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Actually you can still dispute this charge with your credit card. I worked at amex in disputes. There are things you buy in advance that can be disputed.

I was going to say the same thing. YMMV 

We were on a Mardi Gras cruise to New Orleans a few years ago.  We purchased tickets to a restaurant on the parade route for dinner, drinks and grandstand seating.  They did not deliver.  I submitted my receipt, the advertisement for the experience and even a picture of the space where the grandstand should have been with the grandstands for the adjacent restaurants.  We had paid way in advance but got all of our money back. It is worth a try. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Did you have travel insurance?  Some policies and companies will pay for tour bankruptcies...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, island lady said:

OK...worth a try...thanks!   🙂   Will be hitting all the options over the next few weeks.  Won't give up. 

We hate old charges too big to write off. I took the job to get health benefits at the time. But I know the law. The 90 days only is for regular charges not ones where the product was scheduled to be delivered or service at a date in the future. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Wasn't there supposed to be a webinar today?  What happened?

They answered some questions for us -- as John said, they will provide YF vaccines for any who need it (for free) and will also compensate those not on the ship yet but scheduled to join Segment 3 in Dubai for the YF shot they would need to get a few weeks before they join. I understand, too, that they will provide malaria tablets should we need those for destinations.  They indicated that visas for most of the nationalities onboard shouldn't be a problem and they will deal individually with people from nations that might need help getting visas for places. They will not be opening any legs for sale to the public -- but if those onboard have friends for family who want to join, that will be possible. Voting for the two options will occur between now and February 26. I think they will announce the winning itinerary on the 27th. They discussed the math that will be used for calculating whatever the OBC or refunds would be and it's basically "actual fare you paid divided by 274" to figure your "price per day" and then it depends on how many days you end up deviating what amount you will get.  If you opt to leave the ship in Dubai and then re-join at another point rather than do either Option 1 or Option 2, you can leave your stuff aboard and just take your medications, valuables, documents and things you'll need as they won't be re-selling any of the cabins.  They said that once the new itinerary is selected, that will be what it is even if the world situation changes because there is too much involved with the logistics and planning, which makes sense. They will work on getting shore excursions available after the itinerary is selected and we should see those in April.  Also, they said that things will be done by individuals -- so if, for example, a husband and wife on the full cruise decide that the husband doesn't want to do either of the new itineraries, but the wife does, he can opt to leave and she can opt to stay and the amount of money each gets depends on what they choose to do.  I think Royal Caribbean is trying their best to make the most out of a difficult world situation and to give people enough options to feel like we can still salvage some aspect of what our hopes were when we booked this cruise.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

35 minutes ago, LadyZolt said:

They answered some questions for us -- as John said, they will provide YF vaccines for any who need it (for free) and will also compensate those not on the ship yet but scheduled to join Segment 3 in Dubai for the YF shot they would need to get a few weeks before they join. I understand, too, that they will provide malaria tablets should we need those for destinations.  They indicated that visas for most of the nationalities onboard shouldn't be a problem and they will deal individually with people from nations that might need help getting visas for places. They will not be opening any legs for sale to the public -- but if those onboard have friends for family who want to join, that will be possible. Voting for the two options will occur between now and February 26. I think they will announce the winning itinerary on the 27th. They discussed the math that will be used for calculating whatever the OBC or refunds would be and it's basically "actual fare you paid divided by 274" to figure your "price per day" and then it depends on how many days you end up deviating what amount you will get.  If you opt to leave the ship in Dubai and then re-join at another point rather than do either Option 1 or Option 2, you can leave your stuff aboard and just take your medications, valuables, documents and things you'll need as they won't be re-selling any of the cabins.  They said that once the new itinerary is selected, that will be what it is even if the world situation changes because there is too much involved with the logistics and planning, which makes sense. They will work on getting shore excursions available after the itinerary is selected and we should see those in April.  Also, they said that things will be done by individuals -- so if, for example, a husband and wife on the full cruise decide that the husband doesn't want to do either of the new itineraries, but the wife does, he can opt to leave and she can opt to stay and the amount of money each gets depends on what they choose to do.  I think Royal Caribbean is trying their best to make the most out of a difficult world situation and to give people enough options to feel like we can still salvage some aspect of what our hopes were when we booked this cruise.  

And yet their attitude towards mini segmenters, particularly those stranded in Dubai has been curt and dismissive.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tatra603 said:

And yet their attitude towards mini segmenters, particularly those stranded in Dubai has been curt and dismissive.

Sadly it does sound like what they told you is correct though, you will not be able to book the Dubai/Africa leg (unless you have any friends onboard).

2 minutes ago, kernow said:

Sadly it does sound like what they told you is correct though, you will not be able to book the Dubai/Africa leg (unless you have any friends onboard).

Even that is vague. Anybody want to be my friend?

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, kernow said:

It is a good thing that most of us have a "friend" aboard.

• Like 4