Ginger biscuits

Fred C. Nelles

41 minutes ago, Fred C. Nelles said:

Has anyone had any success using ginger biscuits (cookies) for sea sickness?  TIA

Somebody suggested Ginger Root capsules.I tried that but it did not work.A neighbor suggested glazed ginger chewable and that worked great for me.

1 hour ago, Fred C. Nelles said:

Has anyone had any success using ginger biscuits (cookies) for sea sickness?  TIA

Some lines have dishes of candied ginger on a dish by the exit door of most restaurants on board

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fred C. Nelles said:

Ginger cookies (snaps) contain minimal ginger, being largely cookie batter.  Candied ginger - essentially sweetened pure ginger root - is effective at settling the stomach.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Ginger cookies (snaps) contain minimal ginger, being largely cookie batter.

Also if you don't "need" them, gingersnaps are going to be unappealingly stale by next cruise, while unopened or tightly sealed crystallized ginger has a pretty good shelf-life. I also have some sealed ginger tea dating pre-pandemic -- should probably buy a new supply.

14 hours ago, Fred C. Nelles said:

Questions for you:

1) Have you cruised before and been seasick?

2) Or, is this something that you are fearful of happening and you are just preparing?

Ginger biscuits will not have enough ginger.

Ginger Ale does not have enough ginger.

Go to your pharmacy and discuss with your Pharmacist as there are OTC remedies for seasickness that you can have with you as a precaution.

We used Gravol for the Drake Passage on the way to Antarctica (11 Metre Waves) and it was all that we needed.

There is also a relatively new product under the same name, and if you cannot find it in your pharmacy it is available on Amazon.

image.thumb.png.049b87e3573d97a9d685ba14984360dc.png

I carry ginger tea. That helps a lot. You could also consider asking the sushi restaurant on board for some raw ginger if it gets bad. 
I always carry tamarind candies. They are amazing for nausea. But I get them in Ecuador and don’t know if they are in the US. If you are traveling abroad, go to a local pharmacy. They have many otc remedies we don’t. 
Another remedy is bitters and soda. Any good bartender knows this cure. 

3 hours ago, Fred C. Nelles said:

Thank you all for your responses and advice.  I am susceptible to sea sickness, and I was hoping for an easy alternative to Dramamine, et al.  I now have many options to pursue.  Thanks again.

Another recommendation: we use Ginger Rescue, a chewable tablet that works for us. Some studies have shown that ginger is more effective than medicine, although my wife still takes Dramamine.

image.png.9897c085878aae88f8dc65e048ff4280.png

Edited by YourWorldWithBill
added image
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Fred C. Nelles said:

Thank you all for your responses and advice.  I am susceptible to sea sickness, and I was hoping for an easy alternative to Dramamine, et al.  I now have many options to pursue.  Thanks again.

I neglected to say, Welcome to Cruise Critic! Where most are helpful!!!

BTW, I found the crystalized ginger in the Asian food section of Sprouts when I lived near one. 

If you are in the US and live near a Trader Joe's market, pick up a tub of the Double Ginger cookie and take some with you.  They have chunks of ginger in them besides the usual.  If nothing else, you have some tasty cookies to eat on your cruise!!!

Ginger anything is helpful for seasickness.
I have had the best results with ginger chews, ginger capsules, and ginger beer (not ale). You can get ginger beer at any of the bars. It is not alcoholic, it's just a major ingredient of Moscow Mules.
All three have high ginger content, in the order I listed.

If the ship is rocking side to side it's far worse for seasickness than front to back. When it's side to side, I take some ginger and go to bed.