Question for those that have done Hawaii from West Coast Departure

mommycruiser

Hello,

I need to start packing and was wondering if there will be some cold days while we travel to Hawaii from San Francisco. Any suggestions on what to pack are much appreciated.  I am coming in from Texas so we always have hot weather. Traveling on December 20th on the Crown. 

Thanks!

Edited by mommycruiser

3 minutes ago, mommycruiser said:

Hello,

I need to start packing and was wondering if there will be some cold days while we travel to Hawaii from San Francisco. Any suggestions on what to pack are much appreciated.  I am coming in from Texas so we always have hot weather. Traveling on December 20th on the Crown. 

Thanks!

Yes, you will definitely have chilly weather on the first days out and the last days back. Bring layers with you and maybe a hoodie or two to feel more comfortable outside. The temperatures will warm the closer you are to the islands.

• Like 2

Just now, snoozecrooze said:

Yes, you will definitely have chilly weather on the first days out and the last days back. Bring layers with you and maybe a hoodie or two to feel more comfortable outside. The temperatures will warm the closer you are to the islands.

Thanks for the advice Snoozecrooze.

7 minutes ago, mommycruiser said:

Hello,

I need to start packing and was wondering if there will be some cold days while we travel to Hawaii from San Francisco. Any suggestions on what to pack are much appreciated.  I am coming in from Texas so we always have hot weather.

Thanks!

Yes, you most likely will encounter some cold weather.  It sounds like you will be coming in to SF shortly as you are beginning to pack.  We live just a few miles east of SF and it is in the 30°s here in the morning and colder tomorrow morning.   If you want to be out on deck while sailing under the Golden Gate, it will be downright freezing.  But even over in Hawaii in December, you could have some weather that could be kind of on the cool side.  But, a light sweater should suffice.  It’s usually quite pleasant there on the islands.  

Edited by Cruise Raider

8 minutes ago, mommycruiser said:

Traveling on December 20th on the Crown. 

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco. --Mark Twain.

Bring a lined windbreaker jacket, not a sweater. It's the wind blowing off the water.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yes, you most likely will encounter some cold weather.  It sounds like you will be coming in to SF shortly as you are beginning to pack.  We live just a few miles east of SF and it is in the 30°s here in the morning and colder tomorrow morning.   If you want to be out on deck while sailing under the Golden Gate, it will be downright freezing.  But even over in Hawaii in December, you could have some weather that could be kind of on the cool side.  But, a light sweater should suffice.  It’s usually quite pleasant there on the islands.  

Thanks, Cruise Raider will definitely take your advice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Bring a lined windbreaker jacket, not a sweater. It's the wind blowing off the water.

Actually, it’s been attributed to Twain but did he actually ever say that? 

4 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Love the quote and it sure will feel that way as I am used to 70-plus weather!

24 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

You ask as if I am old enough to know firsthand. Some say Walpole, but it has Twain's wit.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mtnesterz said:

You ask as if I am old enough to know. Some say Walpole, but it has Twain's wit.

Not really asking that but as one of my all time favorite quotes, it doesn’t really seem to have been him that said it.  
I use it often when family from Florida come to visit and ask me if it is always this cold in the summer.  

32 minutes ago, mommycruiser said:

Hello,

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Windbreaker is the secret, especially for out on deck.  I live in San Francisco, (yes actually San Francisco) and my favorite is a Coaches Jacket.  It is a light, lined nylon jacket with a hood.  It won't be 30 degrees, but even 50-60 degrees (typical temp. in San Francisco and on the way to Hawaii) will feel like 30 with a breeze.  A windbreaker will keep you comfortable.

35 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

29 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

This has been debated ad infinitum, Snopes has an interesting conversation about it.  While a lot say Mark Twain never said it, to my knowledge, no one has ever been able to verify who said it.  It does fit Mark Twain's wit, and he spent a lot of time in San Francisco.

• Like 1

Layers. Rain jacket if you have one. Hoodie, sweatshirt or similar. Crossing the Pacific to Hawaii can be choppy and rolling. Carry sea sick meds. Also bring along some sort of cover up for inside. It can get cool in the theater, DR and other locations around the ship.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Windbreaker is the secret, especially for out on deck.  I live in San Francisco, (yes actually San Francisco) and my favorite is a Coaches Jacket.  It is a light, lined nylon jacket with a hood.  It won't be 30 degrees, but even 50-60 degrees (typical temp. in San Francisco and on the way to Hawaii) will feel like 30 with a breeze.  A windbreaker will keep you comfortable.

Thanks this sure helps.

Looking good in the islands up to 12/22.  high: 80 / Low 70.  The low of 70 is "cold" to islanders.  I needed to throw on a jacket at 73...lol.

Recommend a wind breaker rain repellant jacket + umbrella for Mauka/mountain morning showers.

We just had 4 days of rain with a Kona/southernly front.  aka sheldon cooper....we shouldn't get any more rain for a few months!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Looking good in the islands up to 12/22.  high: 80 / Low 70.  The low of 70 is "cold" to islanders.  I needed to throw on a jacket at 73...lol.

Recommend a wind breaker rain repellant jacket + umbrella for Mauka/mountain morning showers.

We just had 4 days of rain with a Kona/southernly front.  aka sheldon cooper....we shouldn't get any more rain for a few months!

People here in Portland don’t use umbrellas. If we see someone with one we figure they are tourists or recent transplants

• Haha 1

Enjoy your cruise. I was born & raised in Portland in the SW hills on the other side of Council Crest. I came to San Francisco in the Navy. I still have some family in Portland. One cousin owns John Helmer’s Haberdashery on Broadway across from the Hilton Hotel. 

Hopefully you’ve got some time to visit our City. 

Tom😀

19 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Enjoy your cruise. I was born & raised in Portland in the SW hills on the other side of Council Crest. I came to San Francisco in the Navy. I still have some family in Portland. One cousin owns John Helmer’s Haberdashery on Broadway across from the Hilton Hotel. 

Hopefully you’ve got some time to visit our City. 

Tom😀

I just had holiday tea at the Heathman Hotel. I moved from Oakland to Portland awhile ago