We went "overboard" for our first cruise, and probably wont do that again..

D_And_K_gocruising

couldnt be that much fun, the ship sank, and jack drowned . while i always try and book a suite if affordable, or a club balcony. ( i need a balcony to make me happy) ,ive posted many times before, as long as im on a cruise ship going to exotic locations, im happy as a pig (in whatever makes a pig being happy in). But chief jrkmate, i wont be satisfied until we meet up and have a scotch or two (or more)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm going solo for the first time so doing it (mostly) cheap: inside cabin, no to the drink package, most expensive shore excursion is $29 and I'm still wavering on that one. And the biggest cut of all: no wife.

I am splurging for the thermal spa pass and two extra specialty dinners. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, complawyer said:

couldnt be that much fun, the ship sank, and jack drowned . while i always try and book a suite if affordable, or a club balcony. ( i need a balcony to make me happy) ,ive posted many times before, as long as im on a cruise ship going to exotic locations, im happy as a pig (in whatever makes a pig being happy in). But chief jrkmate, i wont be satisfied until we meet up and have a scotch or two (or more)

Yeah, that's life.  I guess the quote should be "do whatever makes you happy until the ship sinks."  If cheap wine and steerage is fun for you, then just do that until the ship sinks.  The ship always sinks (eventually).

• Like 2

One of the things that we appreciate about NCL (and modern cruising reply) is the ability to pick and choose what you want.

We don’t sit around outdoors for long, and usually hang around where there are quiet bars, so Vibe doesn’t offer us much. Hate being “pampered” so the Spa is equally uninteresting to us.

However, I think a few coffees, we both enjoy sparking water, my wife likes a few glasses of champagne and I like to have a bigger wine selection, so the P+ beverage package works for us.

We could certainly cruise cheaper, but we get a lot out of the bits we do pay extra for. It’s a nice balance.

• Like 2

What I love about cruising is it offers something for everyone, from an inside to a suite. I love to sail the Haven, I have to fly from Australia so prefer longer cruises to make the loooong flight worth it. So save up, fly up the front and enjoy it. However sometimes is not possible and steerage it is, as long as I have a balcony and the FAS so I can get a drink I’ll be happy anywhere. 

13 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

We cruise for the destination so we usually splurge for a balcony or suite, use only the FAS perks plus our Platinum Status for dining - we also enjoy the MDRs and even the buffet.

I hear folks saying they cruise for the destinations. My in laws always say it. but what I have found the majority of destinations in the Caribbean are real similar. So now I cruise mainly for the ship there are some I like some I don't and some I want to try. If the cruise is in Europe or something more substantial I would defiantly cruise for the destination. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

What are your thoughts on "going cheap"?  

We went from inside cabins to balcony cabins, to upgraded this and that, to almost doing a Vibe pass, to using the spa treatments, to a spa pass etc.  Now...we are back to an inside cabin.  We found we just never used the balcony to justify the added cost, we enjoy being out and about.  We still get the spa package as we enjoy that early in the morning to start a day.  We don't upgrade anything else, again we did and we wasted the money.  So now we added more days on board in leiu of a balcony and added costs.  Above someone said it comes down to what you want for an experience and I could not agree more.  One of my hobbies has a saying, hike your own hike, that sentiment applies more so to a cruise some love the Haven and a pampered experience, me I enjoy waiting a bit for a drink and chatting with folks from all over, heck I meet some great people that way (I also get to ID some to simply stay clear of lol)  Either way, enjoy your next one!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks for walking us through it.  You kind of reflect my feelings about Moderno and Tepenyaki.  I do like Modernos's salad bar.  The meats?  I am like you....not my fave.  Teppanyaki....have eaten at those types of restaurants many times.  They're all about the same.  You pay for the show.  Although, they do a nice "non fried" calamari.

I vacillate....sometimes I'll go all out if I find a deal on the Haven ($4,500 or less).  But, I've been known to cheap out, too.  A year ago last Fall I found a New England/Canada cruise.  ~$800 all in with FAS.

Never found the value in the VIBE.  I can always find a bar that's not crowded and am always able to find a seat somewhere outdoors, particularly on the -Away and Away plus ships.  But, I know I'm in the minority.

My good friend @ChiefMateJRK is a pro at finding $100 (or less)/nite cruises.

I'm with you the VIBE does not do it for us, but to be fair we are not SUN worshippers and i definitely would not get it to get to a bar that's not busy.  There are plenty of bars to get drinks from i never really have a problem.  Especially if you have a favorite, flip the guy a $20 when you first get ont he ship and see the difference it makes when you looking for a drink with others around.  The bartenders know who there cash cows are.

We personally make good use of the therapy pool aft the SPA so we usually spring for those passes on 10 day or longer cruises.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I used to always go cheap.  That's why I can now cruise in the Haven. 

As you get closer to your sunset, you will recognize the truth in these sayings:

"Life is too short to drink cheap wines." 

"If you don't fly first class, your grand kids will."

10 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Great quote. Love it and try to live by it. 

A good friend made this observation shortly after I retired:

He said that I would enjoy retirement more if I was able to come to grips with this.

All your life you've been focused on the acquisition of capital, investing, savings, etc.

Now, you're at a point where you should focus on divesting that capital.  You can't take it with you.  Spend it and enjoy it.

Someone else remarked that sitting on the front porch of an assisted living home reviewing your stock portfolio isn't as much fun as it might seem.  

Another friend, a stock broker said there is nothing sadder than having a client remark that having all that money is grand, but I wish I'd had more fun.  

The other thing is wife and I have two wonderful standard poodles.  Brothers from the same litter.  We like to cruise but we don't like placing them in kennel.  Therefore, we limit ourselves one cruise a year.  A caribbean cruise that only requires 10 days in the kennel.  Even then, it's $1000 for the kennel.  Since it's only once a year, there's no reason to go cheap.  We do the Haven with all the perks, FAS+, etc.  No cheap wine for us.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 3

All cruise lines have a wealth of extras you can drop your coin on.  Personally, I find Carnival's "Faster to the Fun" charges crazy. You mean I have to pay Carnival for the privilege of getting on board sooner to spend more money first before everyone else?  Sure..that sounds like a great idea.  No intent in demeaning Carnival cruisers who like it.  I just don't get it.

Royal's START CLASS cabins are crazy expensive.  You think the Haven costs a lot?  Go look at the similar Royal Star Class Suites.

NCL has their own dollar extraction methods.  We all know what they are.  

There was a brouhaha on these boards recently because NCL changed out the FAS+ Champagne from one brand for another.  I think that discussion went on for pages and pages with outrage.  Seriously?

I like the FAS package.  They have the bourbons, vodkas, gins, beers, etc that I like.  If they don't have a particular one, I'll move to another.  It's not worth it to get all bent about.

I used to like the VIBE.....when it was $69/pp.  I could kind of see the value in that.  Private area to hang out, no crowded hot tubs to contend with.  Then, NCL raised the price...A LOT......over a relatively short period of time.  I don't know what they charge currently, but last I looked it would be ~$250 for the VIBE.  Not something I'm willing to pay THAT much for.  Not sure what that nets me other than some couches and a bartender who's fun to hang with.  Plus, the last time I was in the VIBE, it turned into a mini crazy drunk fest like you'd find around the main pool area....just with fewer drunks.  But, perhaps it's changed.  It's been a while for me.

Depending in itinerary, the Thermal Spa may or may not be attractive to me.  If it's the typical Caribbean/Mexico/Bahamas cruise, where I'll be outside most of the time, not attractive.  I did sign up for it on my last Canadian cruise.  It was in the Fall.  Days were sunny and nice.  But, it got chilly in the late afternoon.  I enjoyed retreating to the Thermal Spa for those times.  

I know people who feel the Haven is way too expensive.  I tend to agree most of the time.  But, if I find a good deal on a Haven fare, I'll snag it every time.  It trumps the VIBE, the Thermal Spa, extra charges for extra Specialty Restaurants, etc. It includes all of that and adds the Butler, the Concierge nicer cabins, nicer places to just hang out.  But, even there, I see people talking about spending high 4 figures and 5 figures for the Haven.  Not happening with me.

I'm retired.  But, my old company asks me to do contact work every once in a while.  At first, I tried 20 hours/week.  Didn't like that as it still seemed I was working full time given their projects and deadlines.  Rejected doing that.  I told them they could find someone cheaper than me to do the projects and they certainly could find someone younger.  They kept coming back to me.  Finally, I told them I won't work more than a week at a time and never back to beck weeks.  We came to an understanding.  I have my retirement and my contract work for "play" money (including cruise fares).

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

All cruise lines have a wealth of extras you can drop your coin on.  Personally, I find Carnival's "Faster to the Fun" charges crazy. You mean I have to pay Carnival for the privilege of getting on board sooner to spend more money first before everyone else?  Sure..that sounds like a great idea.  No intent in demeaning Carnival cruisers who like it.  I just don't get it.

Royal's START CLASS cabins are crazy expensive.  You think the Haven costs a lot?  Go look at the similar Royal Star Class Suites.

NCL has their own dollar extraction methods.  We all know what they are.  

There was a brouhaha on these boards recently because NCL changed out the FAS+ Champagne from one brand for another.  I think that discussion went on for pages and pages with outrage.  Seriously?

I like the FAS package.  They have the bourbons, vodkas, gins, beers, etc that I like.  If they don't have a particular one, I'll move to another.  It's not worth it to get all bent about.

I used to like the VIBE.....when it was $69/pp.  I could kind of see the value in that.  Private area to hang out, no crowded hot tubs to contend with.  Then, NCL raised the price...A LOT......over a relatively short period of time.  I don't know what they charge currently, but last I looked it would be ~$250 for the VIBE.  Not something I'm willing to pay THAT much for.  Not sure what that nets me other than some couches and a bartender who's fun to hang with.  Plus, the last time I was in the VIBE, it turned into a mini crazy drunk fest like you'd find around the main pool area....just with fewer drunks.  But, perhaps it's changed.  It's been a while for me.

Depending in itinerary, the Thermal Spa may or may not be attractive to me.  If it's the typical Caribbean/Mexico/Bahamas cruise, where I'll be outside most of the time, not attractive.  I did sign up for it on my last Canadian cruise.  It was in the Fall.  Days were sunny and nice.  But, it got chilly in the late afternoon.  I enjoyed retreating to the Thermal Spa for those times.  

I know people who feel the Haven is way too expensive.  I tend to agree most of the time.  But, if I find a good deal on a Haven fare, I'll snag it every time.  It trumps the VIBE, the Thermal Spa, extra charges for extra Specialty Restaurants, etc. It includes all of that and adds the Butler, the Concierge nicer cabins, nicer places to just hang out.  But, even there, I see people talking about spending high 4 figures and 5 figures for the Haven.  Not happening with me.

I'm retired.  But, my old company asks me to do contact work every once in a while.  At first, I tried 20 hours/week.  Didn't like that as it still seemed I was working full time given their projects and deadlines.  Rejected doing that.  I told them they could find someone cheaper than me to do the projects and they certainly could find someone younger.  They kept coming back to me.  Finally, I told them I won't work more than a week at a time and never back to beck weeks.  We came to an understanding.  I have my retirement and my contract work for "play" money (including cruise fares).

Yah again i agree with all your points.  I been in HAven a few times and loved every minute.  What i don't like is the price.  There are people that will pay those extreme prices and hey if it suits them go for it.  For me i'm like you if i can get a deal on a bid up or even a straight out purchase if the price is right i'll go for it.

Comes down to how often i like to cruise which is 2 -3 cruises a year.  I simply cannot afford Haven with that many cruises a year, so i stick to the Club Balcony's, totally fine for me and i cruise more often.

Yah as said earlier the SPA id my place i like to hang during the day as i cannot take in to much sun do to my cancer.  But like you said if its just a 7 day common Carrib cruise, i usually will bypass for those.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

I think when we get back I will do a contrast and comparison of what we thought about the vibe versus the thermal spa.  It probably won't make much difference to the experienced cruiser that  already has their likes and dislikes in place but hopefully it might help someone who is considering doing either the vibe or the thermal spa for the first time. 

And I look forward to reading it.    We have never gotten thermal passes for any of our cruises.  We came very close to purchasing the passes when we were on the Jewel this past August but did not pull the plug.   

• Like 1

For us, the least enjoyable aspect of past cruises has been heading for the deck above the pool or to Spice after breakfast and facing row upon row of "reserved" loungers. We prefer loungers in the shade and those are impossible to find unless you join the chair hogs and put your book and towel on a couple of chairs at the crack of dawn. We're doing Vibe for the first time in January and I expect to absolutely love it. I wouldn't sign up for it for a cool or cold weather cruise, but it's worth it to me for the Caribbean. Or maybe I'm just foolish. But I do get that there are those who buy and then rarely spend time there.

• Like 2

Wow, lots more responses to this post than I was expecting.. lol.. Love to hear how everyone cruises and as stated, it's awesome there are so many ways you can put together a perfect trip for YOU!!   

Couple things re:thermal spa   Dont get me wrong, it was amazing the time I used it, I just dont see the value in it, like some dont see the value is for example the vibe..   

Also, if (when) we go on an alaska cruise we WILL have a balcony for that trip!!!!   And I will try to figure out which side of the ship gets more views lol.. 

• Like 2

Just now, SPacificbound said:

Laszlo,

Okay, thank you for the info. Now I know it's not something I need to book. Appreciate the info.

Not all ships have the vibe and some are set up differently.  There are some that are HUGE then you have the Escape which is pretty small.. On a bigger vibe I cannot answer how quick the service would be on busy days.. On the escape, 2 guys kept up with us pretty well.. Probably most folks I saw up there was either sail away or last day.   Sail away bar was pretty much full and probably 25% maybe 30% of the chairs were occupied.. 

It really is only good if you want a quiet, pretty much empty place that you can get a drink easily, get to know a few folks better.  And are willing to take the chance if windy, wont be open.. For sure not for everyone!!!   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

Not all ships have the vibe and some are set up differently.  There are some that are HUGE then you have the Escape which is pretty small.. On a bigger vibe I cannot answer how quick the service would be on busy days.. On the escape, 2 guys kept up with us pretty well.. Probably most folks I saw up there was either sail away or last day.   Sail away bar was pretty much full and probably 25% maybe 30% of the chairs were occupied.. 

It really is only good if you want a quiet, pretty much empty place that you can get a drink easily, get to know a few folks better.  And are willing to take the chance if windy, wont be open.. For sure not for everyone!!!   

We were on the Joy which as a bigger Vibe and found the service just as outstanding as there were more NCL staffing it.    What is nice about the bigger Vibe is that if one side gets a little too windy, too sunny or too shady, you can switch to the other side.

• Like 3

On 12/11/2023 at 2:26 PM, D_And_K_gocruising said:

Was super disappointed in teppenyaki and also moderno. 

For me, I would not have chosen Teppanyaki or Moderno because they are more about the show / quantity rather than quality of food. You may have been happier with different choices. In addition to Cagney's we ate at Le Bistro and Ocean Blue. But, it’s hard to know what you will like to do until you’ve done it….I love a balcony, so will probably always have one. I don’t like overcrowded pool decks so Vibe would be worth it to me as well, depending on the itinerary/# sea days. I’ve never been to a spa on a ship so that would be a waste on me.

FAS is a good deal if you will use everything (wifi time limit is perfect for me and we do take an excursion in most ports…) I think upgrading the drink package may often not be necessary but I did really like getting the bottles of wine at the restaurants included. I think if you upgrade with a package it could be worth it, especially with FAS+.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I'm retired.  But, my old company asks me to do contact work every once in a while.  

I am almost 60, with a nice military retirement (27+ years) and now 9+ years in a good post-military job. I considered dropping to part time/32 hours per week.  My company is very open to it - as low as 20 hours per week.  But I realized still working 32 hours per week will not allow me to travel more since I would still need to use vacation but will reduce 20% of my non-retirement income.

For now, I will keep working full time. taking ~3+ good vacations/year (1-2 being cruises), and making a good wage. When I go to part time, it will probably be a drop to 3 days/24 hours a week.  Then my banked vacation will stretch even further needing to only use 24 hours per week.

Edited by itsnotjustme

22 hours ago, complawyer said:

Wait, what?  The ship sank?!?!  

The nice thing about NCL is that they offer their trips as a la carte. Folks who enjoy those extra things can add them on, folks who don't see as much value or want a lower budget trip can skip them. No need to get the full package if all you want is one thing, or to pay extra for other cruise lines that give you everything for "free".

For the specialty dining - you're allowed to go back to the same place more than once. So in the future, if you really enjoyed one place there's no rule that says you can't go back there again. As you get higher up in the NCL loyalty perks, platinum members get 2 extra meals per cabin - so with the regular FAS that's usually plenty for most folks on a standard 7 day trip.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, itsnotjustme said:

I am almost 60, with a nice military retirement (27+ years) and now 9+ years in a good post-military job. I considered dropping to part time/32 hours per week.  My company is very open to it - as low as 20 hours per week.  But I realized still working 32 hours per week will not allow me to travel more since I would still need to use vacation but will reduce 20% of my non-retirement income.

For now, I will keep working full time. taking ~3+ good vacations/year (1-2 being cruises), and making a good wage. When I go to part time, it will probably be a drop to 3 days/24 hours a week.  Then my banked vacation will stretch even further needing to only use 24 hours per week.

If they are open to reduced hours are they open to annual hours where you average 3/4 day weeks but get more full weeks off.

Might allow longer cruises which can be better value pppd and allow for land extensions.

Depends on job but some places happy to reduce the hours but not the workload.