Just off the Celebrity Ascent Inaugural

Bently57

Overall, this cruise gets an A from me and my husband.  The ship was almost perfect, and why shouldn't it be, as it's brand spanking new.  There are some design issues for me personally, but still, in the big picture it is phenomenal.  The service onboard was just as stellar as the gleaming white ship.  At no time did I experience apathy from any cruise ship employee.  They were always cheerful and smiling, and some addressed me by name repeatedly.  I don't know how they do that!

We went Concierge Class this time.  We usually book Aqua, but this time out it was a little more expensive when we booked.  Later on we could have changed to Aqua at a minimum charge, but it would have meant changing rooms, and we liked our location so we passed on it.  So what this meant for us was no seating in Blu, and no access to the Aqua Spa.  As for Blu, it's nice and we like it a lot, but honestly...the four main dining rooms on this ship are so well run and maintained, we didn't feel like we were being 'demoted' in any way.  Our favorite was the Tuscany. Or is it Tuscan?  Anyway, I did miss the Aqua Spa, because only aqua and retreat bookings get you access to the front of the ship, and I always enjoy that.  That was the only negative to doing Concierge.

The cabin was definitely the best ocean veranda cabin we have ever experienced, outside of a sky aft suite we booked once on the Silhouette.  The bathroom in the veranda cabin was absolute perfection for such a small space.  The shower stall felt luxurious; everything about it felt luxurious.  And so much storage space for clothes in this cabin!  We didn't even use all of it.  It's quite amazing, really.  And now, for the "infinite veranda," let me say I wasn't expecting to like it much at all.  However, the opposite was true.  Because of the design, the room felt more spacious than any veranda cabin we have booked in all our cruises.  I liked the blackout blinds for sleeping, of course.  I had thought that the enclosed veranda with no sky above me would feel claustrophobic.  It just doesn't.  The large window that automatically raises and lowers really had me connecting with the outside.  We only closed the little folding doors once, but it's a nice feature to have.  In short, I would book one again in a heartbeat.  Also, it's kind of hard to compare this infinite veranda with a regular balcony because they're really two different things.  For me it's like comparing apples to screwdrivers.

The ship layout has its pros and cons.  MORE pros than cons, even though in order for me to explain the cons, it took a little more space than the positives.

PROS: The central atrium which includes parts of decks 3, 4 and 5 (correct me if I am wrong) is absolutely the best!  So many venues and bars are connected to it seamlessly.  It was always busy, but not crowded.  There was an air of excitement.  Pool deck: WOW. Probably the biggest pool I have ever seen and the hot tubs were beautiful.  The solarium and pool were a great place to go if you wanted to avoid the direct sun and the dance parties.  The bars at the back of the ship were great places to chill and relax. The theatre is by far a technological masterpiece with not a bad seat in the house.  Okay, maybe there might be a few at the extreme sides of the stage on the lower level, but there were always enough seats that I never saw anyone sitting there.  The shops were elegant.  Art throughout the ship was absolutely stunning.  The musical groups/performers were excellent!  As were the comedians and magicians.  So for entertainment, you can't go wrong on this ship! We loved the Club Room, which is kind of like a miniature version of the main theatre.  The Ocean Buffet was one of the best layouts I have ever seen on a cruise ship, and we were never ever disappointed in the food there.  Always easy to find a seat too.

CONS: As for the outside area, the one negative for me was that there is no promenade deck.  Instead, there is this track that winds around the ship on the upper two decks which you're supposed to use instead, but it's very awkward.  I wasn't a fan of that.  I have noticed that more and more new ship designs drop the promenade deck.  I assume because it's not a money maker for the cruise line.  What a shame.  Sometimes that is exactly what you want; a deck where you can connect with the outside in a more private way.  Just sit and stare at the ocean without interruptions.  Yes, there are some spaces on the upper decks where you can do that, but there are few of them...and sometimes there are no available seats.  On a typical promenade deck, you could usually always find a deck chair.  And now, my least fave part of the ship on the inside:  EDEN.  For me, it was dark and depressing.  All the walls are a dark dismal gray green color.  Artificial plants hang from the ceiling, which is also that gray green hideous color.  We went there several times to hear specific musical offerings.  And there were always plenty of seats.  I assume because like me, everyone finds it unwelcoming.  It's a really strange vibe, which is strange because there are all those huge windows.  I feel like this part of the ship is going to be redesigned very soon.  No one was ever in the shops or the spaces that bordered Eden.  A lonely place, and not one where you'd want to sit down and read a book or have a conversation.  Perhaps the restaurant on the lower level of Eden is really nice, but we didn't visit it.

Embarkation and debarkation:  GREAT; best I have ever experienced.

We loved it so much we booked an 11 day Panama Cruise on the Beyond for 2025.  I give this ship FIVE STARS.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

15 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

All the plants on E-class ships are real.

Most are. Not those hanging from the ceiling in those big planters in Eden. I asked a staff member. He said “fake.”

Edited by Bently57
Spelling
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I was under the impression that most if not all the plants in Eden are real.  I really enjoyed the space on Apex…

All that said, thanks for your thoughts…we are sailing on Ascent in January. 

Most are. The big ones in Eden hanging from the ceiling are not. I confirmed it with a staffer. 

• Like 1

Have to agree with your review of the lovely Ascent...except for Eden.  We found the vibe to be very chill and relaxing and I didn't notice an off-putting color pallet.  I did notice that the live wall spanning up from the Eden restaurant stairs was mostly white with only a few plants.  It was explained that it's a living wall that will eventually fill in with plants and lush greenery.  On our sailing, there were several occasions with standing room only in anticipation of the show that occurred at 10:45.  And while I agree that the lack of the promenade deck is something I truly missed, I liked the area just outside of Eden that offered nice seating and views of the ocean.  

On another note, I love your description of your stateroom...may have to try an IV in the future.  

One question...did you receive any sort of Maiden Voyage gift or memento?  Just curious...

Thanks for the report!

We did get several mementos. A nice book on all the art on the ship, a locket necklace from Effy, a baseball cap, a large photograph of the ship, a bag and several other things. We did not visit any of the specialty restaurants as we have in the past. Reason being; the main dining rooms and buffet were out of this world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting a nice review.   We have been on Edge, Apex and Beyond.

I'm with you (and in the minority, I think) on the infinite veranda.   Don't know why people don't appreciate the extra space.   Actual verandas on ships these days are very small, it's great to open your whole cabin to the outside.

Disagree on Eden.   One of our favorite spaces on the ship.  Such great views, a nice bar, entertainment.  And occasionally a light, healthy breakfast.   The restaurant is fabulous by the way but at $85/person extra I probably won't be dining there again.

• Like 2

Looking foward to sailing on the Ascent.  We had a wonderful experience on the Apex in a sky suite.  We will do the same on the Ascent and Beyond.  We LOVE the suite deck and lounge and the Sky suite and above have true balconies.  We had an infinite on the Edge- found it claustrophobic.  I felt it was too narrow- The three dining rooms is a true plus-  Eden was great! loved that class of ship.  But still enjoy the S class ships.  

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

Thank you for your review.

I too miss having a promenade deck, they are pretty rare these days.  Way back when we always strolled the promenade deck after dinner, even in formal wear.  I also miss formal wear and no weight limit on luggage.😎

• Like 2

@Bently57Thanks for your review!

We have done all the Eclass ships (I'm a bit obsessed...) with the Ascent booked Jan. 2025. We were on the Beyond last week while you were on Ascent.

Overall agree.

Agree w/ you on IV--we love the extra space it provides. I've sat on a covered balcony & thought--walls, ceiling...really no difference except complete separation of indoor/outdoor space. (which many obviously prefer)

NCL Breakaway class does Promenade the best--all of deck 8 is full of seating, with a bar on each side & evening restaurant seating. Lovely area day & night.

Eden--we have sat there during the day & read & find it very bright with the wall of windows. Very peaceful as well. We don't go often in the evenings, but the unique drinks bring us in a time or 2.

Glad you had such a wonderful trip!

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

Hi, 

Thanks for your review. I really like this class of ship. I cruised aboard the Celebrity Apex in April 2022 and the Celebrity Beyond in February 2023. I am booked on the Celebrity Ascent's February 18, 2024 sailing. At the end of a recent cruise on the Rotterdam, the Celebrity Ascent was docked directly behind us in Fort Lauderdale. I am really looking forward to my cruise on the Ascent.

Chuck

Ascent.jpg

Edited by seacruise9
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, LuckyCruiser60 said:

Thank you for your thoughts and excellent review!  I'm sailing on Jan, 7th in an IV room and had some concerns as well.  You have put my mind at ease!  One question, do they still have karaoke in one of the bars in the evening?

Yes they did.

2 hours ago, LuckyCruiser60 said:

Thank you for your thoughts and excellent review!  I'm sailing on Jan, 7th in an IV room and had some concerns as well.  You have put my mind at ease!  One question, do they still have karaoke in one of the bars in the evening?

We sailed Edge a few years ago without even knowing about an "IV" at the time of our booking.   Read these forums and was very concerned only to find that we enjoyed the IV.   More room and opens the whole cabin to the outside 

15 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

Don't know why people don't appreciate the extra space. 

Sort of " Off Topic " -- but for those that are not familiar with the IV ( Infinite Verandah )

From our experience---the " extra space " only made the cabin about 3 ft longer and really not a big difference to the "feel" of the room, plus, the window only came 1/2 way down. 

We much prefer the S Class ships with a " real " balcony on the " Hump " ( center of the ship ).

However, while there are many opinions, it does appear that the younger generation like the IVs.

Then there are those that like upside-down pineapple cake ( LOL).