Here's The Problem - What's The Solution

Hawkstar33

2 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

True on bookings made before I think March of 2023.  Any non-refundable deposit reservations made in North America after that point are entirely non-refundable.  If you cancel you will lose the entire $960 CAD.

You can still move the ship/sail date for $100 pp change fee.

Just like Royal with the change fee.  Perks disappearing, as in OBC, and next you will be paying for a special chip cup to be able to get a soft drink.   It took some time but slowly but surely resembling Royal.  Soon to be totally alla carte, I'm sure.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

This sounds like you answered your own question. But here you are asking for "other" solutions when there is only one answer, and always has been for that matter. Personal choice. When one feels disappointed, swindled, betrayed or priced out, get out. Why keep soliciting reasons for or solutions to not leaving, if leaving is what you really want to do? I experienced some of these circumstances onboard the Ascent during her maiden voyage. Common sense told me that some things might be different. No problem, I can adjust mentally, physically and financially. A truly enjoyable cruising experience, in all respects. Therefore, my future options include continued Celebrity cruising. How 'bout that.

I agree with the most meaningful solution -- get out.  Unless the objective is complaining, why should people continue to do something they say they no longer like.       

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Our next TA 12 night cruise , we at $833 CAD a person in a balcony , and the cheapest direct flight to Lisbon is $666 CAD for 6 hours 🤔😁

$2.89 per hour per passenger for the cruise.  Assuming 3,000 passengers that is $8,679 per hour. 

The flight is $111 per hour per passenger.  Assuming 300 passengers, that is $33,300 per hour. 

This proves they should have buffets on flights!  😀

(Don't check my math, it is probably wrong).   

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, billc23 said:

Yes. I never had the desire to cruise on one of the "Luxury" cruise lines - too stuffy and all that -  but when I saw that I was paying more for the excellent X experience than Regent or Silversea, I decided to give them a try. Turned out to be a superior experience for me and my wife while sailing as a couple. Certainly not for some/most loyal X cruisers but it was for us. I did not miss the art auctions or the hierarchal system that X has. 

Regent or Silversea less expensive than Celebrity? From what I've seen much more expensive so I'm interested in learning more details.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hasentreelake said:

Second place to what ?

Current second place to Silversea. Usually Celebrity would have more of my bookings than other cruise lines. Today: Silversea = 83 days, Celebrity = 67, MSC = 14.

10 hours ago, hasentreelake said:

I have to agree with 'confidence'.  I currently have a choice to choose other than X, but my confidence in what I am getting with X gives me pause to go elsewhere (aka Princess).

As I stated previously, I have not lost confidence in X - they have alway provided me with a great experience. However, after a few Silversea cruises, I enjoyed them more than X when traveling with my spouse. I only tried them because the X pricing in the Retreat has become similar or higher than Silversea, Regent, etc. and I felt the experience on the Lux lines was superior for what I enjoy. I was on a 7 day X cruise to the Caribbean in February 2023 that cost over $4000 more than a 10 day Silversea cruise to Iceland in July 2023. I had been looking at the X Iceland itinerary and thought that the Silversea one was superior by far. Check out the itinerary on the respective websites. 

When traveling with our family of three generations, I would not chose Silversea or Regent - no way would that be a great experience for all. I usually treat each set of kids/grandkid to a cruise a year and X or Royal are the usual cruise lines we travel on. In 2025 I am trying MSC with family and plan to book the Xcel for 2026. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, billc23 said:

Current second place to Silversea. Usually Celebrity would have more of my bookings than other cruise lines. Today: Silversea = 83 days, Celebrity = 67, MSC = 14.

As I stated previously, I have not lost confidence in X - they have alway provided me with a great experience. However, after a few Silversea cruises, I enjoyed them more than X when traveling with my spouse. I only tried them because the X pricing in the Retreat has become similar or higher than Silversea, Regent, etc. and I felt the experience on the Lux lines was superior for what I enjoy. I was on a 7 day X cruise to the Caribbean in February 2023 that cost over $4000 more than a 10 day Silversea cruise to Iceland in July 2023. I had been looking at the X Iceland itinerary and thought that the Silversea one was superior by far. Check out the itinerary on the respective websites. 

When traveling with our family of three generations, I would not chose Silversea or Regent - no way would that be a great experience for all. I usually treat each set of kids/grandkid to a cruise a year and X or Royal are the usual cruise lines we travel on. In 2025 I am trying MSC with family and plan to book the Xcel for 2026. 

So RCG is correct with its marketing 

you have moved up to their luxury line 😁

On 12/14/2023 at 6:49 AM, Cruise a holic said:

The cruise lines have the upper hand now- as consumers, we need to decide if cruising is really for us.  

The consumer always has the upper hand.   As you state, ships are sailing full and so despite the cries of CUTBACKS! that are ubiquitous on this board, the actual cruising population must enjoy the product or the ships would not be full.   If the cruising experience were truly as awful as you might think from reading this board, the ships would be half full of first time cruisers who would never take another cruise once they found out about all the CUTBACKS! 

3 minutes ago, melusina said:

Regent or Silversea less expensive than Celebrity? From what I've seen much more expensive so I'm interested in learning more details.

I'm referring to Retreat pricing. I will be on the Silver Moon departing Mumbai in February 2024. When I booked this cruise I was initially considering the Millennium and then going on the Solstice to continue my trip. Similar itinerary to Hong Kong but the Silver Moon is a 32 day trip while the Milli/Solstice is 24 days. When I booked the Silver Moon was around the same price for a similar sized cabin but was 8 days longer. From Hong Kong I will sail B4B on the Solstice to visit southeast Asia and depart in Vancouver, CA. I am looking forward to all of these sailings.

I  thought that the Silversea pricing would be much more expensive too but found that this was not the case. Silversea includes daily excursions in their pricing yet I am not accounting for that in my analysis. The smaller ship is often able to dock closer to the area (City) we will be visiting so I will not miss the long bus rides. It is a different experience onboard that I enjoyed and also enjoy Celebrity. All my opinion and others may not enjoy Silversea. Certainly when traveling with the grandkids, ages 13 and 17, Royal is the preferred cruise line and they tell me what ship to book. I always have a great time on those trips!

I believe that cruisers move between the cruise lines as they all offer a small difference experience.  How many of us started on other cruise lines but haven't been on them in over 10 years ?  We started on NCL, have been on American Cruise Line, Princess and Royal Caribbean for many years. 

People change over the years and we are no longer interested in the Caribbean ports as all the ships go to the same ports.  Our interest is now in a peaceful cruise with really good food so we for now are enjoying Celebrity.  We just recently left RC and have three more cruises to complete and we don't think we will ever book another one due to the quality of the food served. I am glad that we have so many offerings to choose from which to make our decisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

🤣🤣🤣 So Celebrity's competition is Carnival?

No one is saying that. I think the point is that even going down market, you can find an enjoyable experience. With the current prices X is charging, you can go up market or spend less for an upper tier experience down market. We all have the power of choice.

5 minutes ago, 563toM said:

I believe that cruisers move between the cruise lines as they all offer a small difference experience.  How many of us started on other cruise lines but haven't been on them in over 10 years ?  We started on NCL, have been on American Cruise Line, Princess and Royal Caribbean for many years. 

People change over the years and we are no longer interested in the Caribbean ports as all the ships go to the same ports.  Our interest is now in a peaceful cruise with really good food so we for now are enjoying Celebrity.  We just recently left RC and have three more cruises to complete and we don't think we will ever book another one due to the quality of the food served. I am glad that we have so many offerings to choose from which to make our decisions.

Speaking for myself...I have tried most major lines, but I prefer to be loyal to a brand so as to maintain better familiarity with the nuances of each line, and the "comfort" that provides.   That being said, I hope my upcoming 2 booked cruises with Celebrity show me I will be OK staying with them, but that is far from guaranteed...loyalty or not.

Celebrity does not deliver what it committed to you when you agreed to purchase their product. Their terms and conditions allow them to do so, but this is costing them future revenue from formerly loyal customers. It's the bed they've made, focusing on short-term revenue.

• Like 4

On 12/14/2023 at 9:14 AM, ljk76 said:

We still find cruises, including Celebrity, to be a bargain. We have begun to focus on transatlantic and repositioning cruises. We enjoy the new E class - the theater and entertainment in general, are outstanding.  We have concluded an IV room isn’t necessary and moving to an ocean view really creates a great price point. We book without add ons, but when we find 40% off drink packages or internet we consider those. 

My first 2 cruises with Celebrity will be Trans-Atlantic (next May), and Trans-Pacific cruises. Great bargain, if you enjoy sea days (and we do). I opted for the Infinite Veranda for the upcoming Trans-Atlantic (actually upgrade from an ocean view), just to give it a try. The April, 2025 Trans-Pacific is still an inside cabin, but likely will be upgraded to an ocean view, at minimum.

And we never buy any drink packages, because we are able to enjoy ourselves, and more importantly, able to enjoy the company of others, without needing alcohol to enhance the situation (are other people such a challenge relationally that one needs to be drugged to be around them?). That decision right there is saving hundreds of dollars per person.

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2023 at 3:24 PM, markeb said:

And I'll say this again: If Royal hadn't bought them, who would have? Whether you knew they were on the market or not, they clearly were. They could have simply killed the brand instead of selling. For most of the ensuing 26 years, RCCL/RCG provided the financing and infrastructure for Celebrity. I suppose Carnival could have bought them...

Yeah, like they bought Seaborn and Cunard. 

48 minutes ago, tscoffey said:

And we never buy any drink packages, because we are able to enjoy ourselves, and more importantly, able to enjoy the company of others, without needing alcohol to enhance the situation (are other people such a challenge relationally that one needs to be drugged to be around them?). That decision right there is saving hundreds of dollars per person.

Judge much?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, tscoffey said:

It is not the other people that are the challenge - it is me - I am just too serious a guy. Also, I try to ensure they do not profit from my lack of drinking! I tend to talk less when I drink so others do find me more agreeable to be around, especially my spouse!

In fact, during the covid lockdown, I tried to keep my mind sharp by learning how to make various cocktails. When using Difford's guide of cocktails I practiced my math skills converting ounces to milliliter. I didn't need to use my slide rule to figure out how to double the drink size. 

I learned during collage that I was not fun to be around unless high on something.  At least that is what friends (drinking buddies) told me.

Edited by billc23

2 hours ago, tscoffey said:

Have you met me ? Of course my wife needs mothers little helper to put up with me!

🙈🙉🙊

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

Topic..Here's the Problem

Much Discussion...

Solution?  For some just  go elsewhere!

Seems like an answer for some, but not all.    Alot of good discussion for sure, about a very important topic.   That's exactly what these boards are for.  It's good to hear what others think, for the most part.  

We are back to suite experience vs concierge and below experience 

it appears most people concierge and below think they are getting value for their dollar in todays market while the suites are upset 

some suite guest think other cruise lines are better value , so they should move on to where they believe they are getting best value for their dollar

as long they don’t come back to tell us everyone should move to their new line which usually doesn’t not have good value for concierge and below 

Aqu is in its own little world 😁

Have a fun day 😉

On 12/14/2023 at 6:27 PM, NMTraveller said:

🤣🤣🤣 So Celebrity's competition is Carnival?

Sadly on the newer ships it is.  Carnival beats X with burgers, lunch guys BBQ or Shaq's fried chicken, and lobster as X still uses inferior Spiny (Carnival and RCI use superior Maine), and better complimentary food if on a newer ship (free BBQ, Mexican/Asian and Italian restaurants in addition to the MDR )  and MDR desserts like the chocolate melting cake

X beats Carnival at the buffet and the MDR but as stated, if on a newer carnival ship, some speciality restaurants could be free

I was a fan of X's paid chocolate chip cookie offering assuming free cookies were still available as X's free cookies are nothing to write home about and the same with Carnival.  Their cookies are like picking the better cookie between Chips Ahoy and Keebler Elves