Surcharges for drinks in Retreat Lounge

TrueCruiseaholic

7 hours ago, High on the Seas said:

You should email the CEO also.

Good luck getting a response!

Nearly 2 weeks and no response at all, not even a non-committal "thank you for contacting Celebrity."

Oh, wait, you and the previous poster are in USA, not Australia, so will probably receive phonecalls.

19 hours ago, markeb said:

You do realize that Fumé Blanc is another name for Sauvignon Blanc? Different style, same grape…

I learned something here...thanks.  I enjoy a good SB.  

7 hours ago, RichYak said:

Technically, you quoted her as saying anything on a Retreat menu is "included in the premium package". I take that to mean that if you have no beverage package, you will be charged the price that is on the menu. Or if you have the classic beverage package, you will be upcharged accordingly.

I believe that all Retreat guests get the Premium package as part of the booking

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 39august said:

Re: Several responses referring to post #300. I don't see how post #300 does anyone any good. It is not signed by Laura so I see no value in quoting it. Now if the poster has a copy of her exact e-mail response, showing that it is from her,, that would be worth something to us all. I'm afraid we are simply stuck with inferior wines on the PDP. 

Here you go:

Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2023 5:16 PM
To: Richard 
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Retreat

Hi Richard,

Everything on the menus in those three venues are included in the premium package. There have been and continues to be items for an extra charge and those are available upon request.

We are currently redesigning all our wine menus to have more variety, diversity, inclusions, and even more high-end wines by the glass via coravin (those will have an upcharge). We plan to have these in place by the Spring and I know everyone will be pleased. Takes time for us to procure and re-adjust. The team is well into it and I know all our guests will be happy with the options and choices.

Have a great time onboard. Best, Laura

Laura Hodges Bethge

President, Celebrity Cruises

Office: 305.982.2520

Mobile: 786.553.8961

lhodgesbethge@celebrity.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, richczarnecki said:

I believe that all Retreat guests get the Premium package as part of the booking

Not everyone in the Retreat has originally booked a Retreat fare. Many move-up to the Retreat with a Classic beverage package or no beverage package at all.

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 2

Thanks. Not that I think this will do any good, but I am going to print it out and show it to the Hotel Director and Beverage Director when I board EQ in a couple of weeks. Clearly shows she is talking about the "three venues"   in the Retreat.  I hope others will do the same. Someone needs to hold her to her printed word. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 39august said:

Thanks. Not that I think this will do any good, but I am going to print it out and show it to the Hotel Director and Beverage Director when I board EQ in a couple of weeks. Clearly shows she is talking about the "three venues"   in the Retreat.  I hope others will do the same. Someone needs to hold her to her printed word. 

I leave on Ascent Jan 14 and will report back 

• Thanks 2

Two weeks tomorrow since I emailed the "boss lady."

It seems they off load to the local office and being Australia, much closes for the Christmas / New Year break, including   Executive Escalations, APAC Region •  Guest & Trade Services   where my correspondence was forwarded for action.

Back to work today and an email was sent to me this morning, in part :

"The variety of beverages available onboard have been expanded and compared to our competitors we offer higher quality and a larger premium range of products offerings."

(Had to disagree with that, as we are red wine drinkers and the offerings have been severely depleted within the Premium package. Seems to be plenty of whites though - about double the number of reds.)

"Please be advised in your special amenities that you are able to enjoy complimentary beverages with no extra charge."

Time will tell - I'll be back in early April after our cruise.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 8:45 PM, markeb said:

You do realize that Fumé Blanc is another name for Sauvignon Blanc? Different style, same grape…

Different name, same grape.   It was Robert Mondavi, one of the Napa wine pioneers who came up with the name "Fume Blanc".   He (correctly) felt Americans had trouble pronouncing Sauvignon and hence wouldn't order it and decided to name his Sauvignon Blanc something easier to pronounce. 

2 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

Different name, same grape.   It was Robert Mondavi, one of the Napa wine pioneers who came up with the name "Fume Blanc".   He (correctly) felt Americans had trouble pronouncing Sauvignon and hence wouldn't order it and decided to name his Sauvignon Blanc something easier to pronounce. 

What I was told (by one of the Mondavis, not that it adds credibility to the story) was that Bob Mondavi aged his sauvignon blanc in oak to give it a different flavor profile and wanted to differentiate it from the more standard stainless steel handling. Hence, the name fume blanc to convey a “smoky” character from the oak.

”Fume blanc” was originally a style, but now others use oak on their sauvignon blanc and still call it sauvignon blanc. Probably not as useful a designation as it was on my first trip to Napa in the early 1980s. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

Two weeks tomorrow since I emailed the "boss lady."

It seems they off load to the local office and being Australia, much closes for the Christmas / New Year break, including   Executive Escalations, APAC Region •  Guest & Trade Services   where my correspondence was forwarded for action.

Back to work today and an email was sent to me this morning, in part :

"The variety of beverages available onboard have been expanded and compared to our competitors we offer higher quality and a larger premium range of products offerings."

(Had to disagree with that, as we are red wine drinkers and the offerings have been severely depleted within the Premium package. Seems to be plenty of whites though - about double the number of reds.)

"Please be advised in your special amenities that you are able to enjoy complimentary beverages with no extra charge."

Time will tell - I'll be back in early April after our cruise.

I received something like that as well as a VM.  Really no detail. Is it everything with no up charge or just at or below $17?  

I have also seen 3 different "current" wine lists - 2 on line and 1 on the app. Really none are the same as each other.  The app has 2 different wine lists and it depends on the ship.  Ascent seems to be the "current" one and definitely has some variety  We are on Apex next week and that seems to be the old  list.  

Again, after dropping $8k on a suite I am somewhat less than thrilled to be dinged for $2 on basically everyday wines.  I could see a $15 charge for something that is truly unique, but the $2 is just tacky.   

• Like 4

On 1/5/2024 at 5:06 AM, TommyD3 said:

Are you being charged an upcharge? According to the post 300 ALL wine on the Luminae menu is supposed to be included !!!

Never has been in the last.  But true in the Retreat Lounge.

• Like 1

The wines listed in Luminae, by the glass for my Ascent cruise, show 9 within PBP and 9 that will be an upcharge.  Based on her email, is she is stating all wines listed will be included if you have a suite and the PBP or am I misreading?

Unless I massed it, so far I haven't seen any posts from someone on board stating categorically that they were, or were not, charged an up-charge for wines above the PBP limit in the lounge or luminae, especially the $2 up-charge.

We are sailing in a PH on Beyond in December and a $2 charge is beyond tacky. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Julma said:

The wines listed in Luminae, by the glass for my Ascent cruise, show 9 within PBP and 9 that will be an upcharge.  Based on her email, is she is stating all wines listed will be included if you have a suite and the PBP or am I misreading?

The X memo is not actually clear. It sounds like all glass wines are included within the Retreat area are in but random posts say not true. 

21 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Unless I massed it, so far I haven't seen any posts from someone on board stating categorically that they were, or were not, charged an up-charge for wines above the PBP limit in the lounge or luminae, especially the $2 up-charge.

We are sailing in a PH on Beyond in December and a $2 charge is beyond tacky. 

19 minutes ago, tfred said:

The X memo is not actually clear. It sounds like all glass wines are included within the Retreat area are in but random posts say not true. 

Just got off Beyond. We were charged the $2.40 for CherryPie and Decoy even 

with the PDP. No chit to sign. The sommelier just politely informed us each time: all bars including Luminae.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Harborgirl246 said:

with the PDP. No chit to sign. The sommelier just politely informed us each time: all bars including Luminae.

Thanks. Did you have them on the retreat lounge and were you charged?

We are back from the Apex. We had a great time. But as far as upcharges in Luminae, well they intended to charge them.  The first thing the sommelier said to us after welcome was that there would be some upcharges applied where the drinks exceeded the PDP list.  I told him that was unacceptable in Luminae and he told me to write to the management.  I made a point to always ask him the wines that were included and noted that some, I believed, were less than PDP worthy.

Going on the Silhouette in March and will take the X memo with me.

There seems to be much confusion and inconsistency from ship to ship and even from area to area on the same ship.

There have been reports from those currently sailing, both on this forum and popular social media platforms, including  -  some are not charged extra, some have to sign chits for the upcharge and others have had no mention of the upcharge, but have found the charge on their account the next morning!

6 hours ago, Julma said:

Based on the e mail she sent me, anyone ordering off a menu in the Retreat venues (Lounge, Luminae, Deck) will not be charged if they have PBP.

5 hours ago, Harborgirl246 said:

Were those wines ordered in a Retreat venue and listed on the menu?  I expect not.