Spa Verandah?

kruzin2010

6 minutes ago, kruzin2010 said:

Just booked a spa Verandah on Niew Amsterdam for Alaska.  Never have done a spa suite but love being on the Crows Nest deck.  Are there any perks or advantages?    

Sorry to say, not much in the way of perks.  You are up high and forward and I believe that the verandah itself is smaller than the regular ones.  You get some vitamin water, a yoga mat (use only, no taking home) and I think a dock for an iPod or charger.  You'd think with a name like that, you'd get a discount at least in the spa, but you don't.

If I've missed or gotten anything wrong, someone please correct me.

Linda R

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kruzin2010 said:

Just booked a spa Verandah on Niew Amsterdam for Alaska.  Never have done a spa suite but love being on the Crows Nest deck.  Are there any perks or advantages?    

Definitely NOT a "spa suite."  Basic balcony cabin on an upper deck, with minimal perks. I hope you have smooth seas, or you will feel the movement!

1 hour ago, cruzingnut said:

Sorry to say, not much in the way of perks.  You are up high and forward and I believe that the verandah itself is smaller than the regular ones.  You get some vitamin water, a yoga mat (use only, no taking home) and I think a dock for an iPod or charger.  You'd think with a name like that, you'd get a discount at least in the spa, but you don't.

If I've missed or gotten anything wrong, someone please correct me.

Linda R

That’s what I read and I thought surely that can’t be the case LOL.   Oh well.  We really enjoy being close to the crows nest. 

Just now, kruzin2010 said:

That’s what I read and I thought surely that can’t be the case LOL.   Oh well.  We really enjoy being close to the crows nest. 

Does anyone have an iPod anymore LOL?   I’ll bring my audio cord to connect to my phone.  Thanks.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kruzin2010 said:

Does anyone have an iPod anymore LOL?   I’ll bring my audio cord to connect to my phone.  Thanks.  

It was missing from our cabin in Feb, but stubbing our toes on the teak shower mat made up for it. And we had that vitamin water to drown our sorrows...

It truly was awesome to be so close to the spa and Crow's Nest  - I really made use of Thermalpass that cruise. Enjoy!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kruzin2010 said:

The VQs on the Observation Deck 11, have Juliet or "viewing" balconies. This gallery shows the room and balcony:

https://halfacts.com/11002-nieuw-amsterdam/

Note, the sofa and desk are away from the balcony. 

You might want to change to a Spa Verandah on the Panorama deck -- which are standard Verandahs with standard balcony. With sitting area NEAR the balcony. And just one flight of stairs from the Crows Nest!

https://halfacts.com/signature-class/10012-nieuw-amsterdam/

Edited by crystalspin

2 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

The VQs on the Observation Deck 11, have Juliet or "viewing" balconies. This gallery shows the room and balcony:

You might want to change to a Spa Verandah on the Panorama deck -- which are standard Verandahs with standard balcony. With sitting area NEAR the balcony. And just one flight of stairs from the Crows Nest!

Ok. Now you’re scaring me. 🙈.  You can at least sit out there can you not?   The best part of a cruise is morning coffee on the balcony.  

15 minutes ago, kruzin2010 said:

Ok. Now you’re scaring me. 🙈.  You can at least sit out there can you not?   The best part of a cruise is morning coffee on the balcony.  

They're really pretty small, almost like a Juliet balcony, but if you used just footrests to sit on... no kidding.

The picture from the link @crystalspin provided has a very good angle w/the chairs.

I had a spa verandah on the NS in May. The balcony is very narrow but you can sit on it. I loved the location and used the club orange upgrade to offset the cost otherwise I would not have paid the extra price. I had a teak wood shower insert , no vitamin water and an upgraded bath robe. I really liked the location close to the thermal spa and the upper pool deck. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

I had a spa verandah on the NS in May. The balcony is very narrow but you can sit on it. I loved the location and used the club orange upgrade to offset the cost otherwise I would not have paid the extra price. I had a teak wood shower insert , no vitamin water and an upgraded bath robe. I really liked the location close to the thermal spa and the upper pool deck. 

The upgraded bathrobe was a Club Orange amenity.  Those CO bathrobes with the orange trim are extra cozy! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kruzin2010 said:

You can surely have coffee on your Observation Deck balcony. It should have two chairs and a tiny table. No room for a footstool though! (Note for the future: this is not true of Deck 11 Verandahs on the Eurodam, which have curved Juliet balconies and NO furniture!)

My husband and I would actually choose the Ob.Deck Verandah -- we don't use the balcony much and prefer the sofa and desk nearer the hall. And love to be on the same deck as the Crows Nest which becomes your extended living room!

Also, note: on Deck 11, you will be steps from the Explorations Cafe and not have to settle for Room Service coffee to enjoy on your balcony!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

They're really pretty small, almost like a Juliet balcony, but if you used just footrests to sit on... no kidding.

The picture from the link @crystalspin provided has a very good angle w/the chairs.

The secret is to sit in your chair and put your feet up on the railing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

You can surely have coffee on your Observation Deck balcony. It should have two chairs and a tiny table. No room for a footstool though! (Note for the future: this is not true of Deck 11 Verandahs on the Eurodam, which have curved Juliet balconies and NO furniture!)

My husband and I would actually choose the Ob.Deck Verandah -- we don't use the balcony much and prefer the sofa and desk nearer the hall. And love to be on the same deck as the Crows Nest which becomes your extended living room!

Also, note: on Deck 11, you will be steps from the Explorations Cafe and not have to settle for Room Service coffee to enjoy on your balcony!

Ok.  You’ve reminded me of all the reasons we wanted that deck!   Thanks!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

You can surely have coffee on your Observation Deck balcony. It should have two chairs and a tiny table. No room for a footstool though! (Note for the future: this is not true of Deck 11 Verandahs on the Eurodam, which have curved Juliet balconies and NO furniture!)...

So glad you added the reference to Eurodam - those curved balconies are the ones I was thinking about.

20230429_102220.thumb.jpg.faec257fb1bfd4ff9f22b08cfa385441.jpg20230429_111758.thumb.jpg.0ef7b569b92500a73f93becc22f230a7.jpg

Yes, the others are bigger (as pictured in your link) but still small.

I LOVE the proximity to the spa and good coffee.

Edited by Haljo1935
Uploads

6 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Thank you so much for showing a spa vq on deck 10!  I have one for my February cruise on the Rotterdam, and was getting worried.  I love being one set of steps from the spa and thalasso therapy pool. 

2 hours ago, Cruise4food said:

In Dec 2016, Eurodam VQ on deck 11 had two chairs on verandas. No footstool, as I recall.

Huh, those chairs must have just about wedged in place. This mini-review from 2014 shows how someone had to use their desk chair, and couldn't even get another one of those!

https://halfacts.com/11001-eurodam/

But nice they have finally provided chairs!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, msteries said:

Thank you so much for showing a spa vq on deck 10!  I have one for my February cruise on the Rotterdam, and was getting worried.  I love being one set of steps from the spa and thalasso therapy pool. 

The VQs on the Rotterdam (and other Pinnacle ships) are quite a bit different than on N.Amsterdam, even the ones on deck 10. The balconies are deep enough that the chairs do have the slide-out leg rests, for example. Here is a nice little video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JTQJFXxdfc

And some pics of a VQ on the Koningsdam:

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/10031-koningsdam/

Some of the included things may have changed...

• Like 1

We've been upgraded to a VQ (price drop after final payment) once and we love the location (all tucked away high up and to the front of the ship) and super convenient to the gym/spa and lido......but...we would never pay the price........for us, deck 8 front VF has the same location benefits with a much lower cost.....Again, if free, we'd gladly go to SQ...but for us, not worth the $$$.

Enjoy the journey......

Edited by FlaMariner

I got one of these, and they are ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH THE PRICE HAL charges for them.  At the time, there was  a soothing water fountain.  My fountain was broken and did not work.  My iPod did not work.  There is no room to roll out the yoga mat.  And I got 2 vitamin waters the first day only.  And yes, the balcony is tiny.  I would never, ever book these.  I guess I would accept it as a free upgrade, but that's it. 

• Like 1

We just got on the Eurodam in a spa balcony.  The chairs don’t have footrests, but there’s plenty of room to sit comfortably without twisting around.  We’re totally pleased with the cabin (especially because we booked GTY), but I wouldn’t spring for the 50% premium HAL seems to charge.

• Like 3