Disappointing Equinox Cruise - Is this Celebrity-wide?

peachcreamsicle

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I have them do that but I noticed they just throw the stuff in a bag and keep them under the bed or in the closet or somewhere. LOL. I don't think the cabin steward does the billing. Some other crew member checks the fridges. 

Easy for the cabin attendant, on turnaround day they just grab it from under the bed or closet and put it back in tge mini bar.

27 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Easy for the cabin attendant, on turnaround day they just grab it from under the bed or closet and put it back in tge mini bar.

Whatever works. I have never got charged for minibar items. Mistaken charges I have recieved were drinks at a lounge I never ordered. (not on Celebrity, happened a few times on Princess) I alway check my folio several times on any cruise because the easiest time to correct is while onboard. Also to make sure OBC credits were on my account. Had to have my travel agent take care of that once with Princess. 

38 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I alway check my folio several times on any cruise because the easiest time to correct is while onboard.

Generally the issue happens after you depart the ship and they inventory and restock the mini bar during the turnover.   Unless you are diligent you'll never notice.

There was a time about 15 years ago where it was pretty common.  I personally had it where I was charged ~$150 on 4 different sailings.  When called they responded it was the entire contents of the minibar.  They instantly reversed the charge without question.  We even had it happen when we asked to keep the minibar locked for the entire trip.   Lately it just seems like random human error.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, peachcreamsicle said:

Maybe, I’ve just never experienced that in 15+ cruises on multiple cruise lines.

Also, we weren’t provided a paper bill like on previous cruises.  It was just emailed and had I not opened the PDF, I would have missed the charge.  It makes you wonder if they’re just sneaking it on there.  Just a reminder to look at your bill 🙂

Just check your account every day on the TV in your cabin. Only takes a few seconds, avoids any surprises and makes sure you have spent any OBC.

5 hours ago, the penguins said:

Just check your account every day on the TV in your cabin. Only takes a few seconds, avoids any surprises and makes sure you have spent any OBC.

We checked the day before departure and everything looked fine.  

After departing, we were charged for something from the minibar. Like, the charge was added after we’d departed from the ship and did not have a TV to check. 

Edited by peachcreamsicle

Just now, peachcreamsicle said:

After departing, we were charged for something from the minibar. Like, the charged was added after we’d departed from the ship. 

If it was refund , than there no problem 

Have you never made a mistake in your job 😉

2 hours ago, peachcreamsicle said:

After departing, we were charged for something from the minibar. Like, the charge was added after we’d departed from the ship and did not have a TV to check. 

We check as soon as we get up on departure morning. Like others we also have the fridge emptied as soon as we see our Room Steward on boarding day.

23 hours ago, peachcreamsicle said:

Maybe, I’ve just never experienced that in 15+ cruises on multiple cruise lines.

Also, we weren’t provided a paper bill like on previous cruises.  It was just emailed and had I not opened the PDF, I would have missed the charge.  It makes you wonder if they’re just sneaking it on there.  Just a reminder to look at your bill 🙂

In 25 or so Celebrity cruises I have never seen a bill on paper except when I went to Guest Relations for some reason and asked for a paper copy. Usually when I wanted to have a receipt of sorts when going through customs for items bought aboard.

19 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

In 25 or so Celebrity cruises I have never seen a bill on paper except when I went to Guest Relations for some reason and asked for a paper copy. Usually when I wanted to have a receipt of sorts when going through customs for items bought aboard.

I started cruising Celebrity in 1996 and they did paper bills for years. The bill would be put on my cabin door very early overnight  am on debarkation day . I would go to Guest Relations a few times before the end of a cruise and get a paper copy.

On 12/20/2023 at 10:22 AM, asctony said:

Have Cabin Stewart Empty your frig the first day unless you are going to use it.

I see this recommendation regularly, but I have never understood how it could prevent the kind of erroneous charges that I read about regularly.  If, after disembarkation, someone is charged for a mini-bar item they didn't consume, couldn't that type of error happen if the items remained in the refrigerator during the whole cruise or were put on a shelf and returned to the refrigerator on the last day?   Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like whoever is counting/taking inventory could make a mistake in either situation.  

I'll be on the Equinox next year.   Are the minibars locked embarkation day?  If so, I think I'll leave it locked in an attempt to minimize erroneous charges.   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I started cruising Celebrity in 1996 and they did paper bills for years. The bill would be put on my cabin door very early overnight  am on debarkation day . I would go to Guest Relations a few times before the end of a cruise and get a paper copy.

I started in 2013. I don't remember a paper accounting. But, I must confess, it could have happened and was of so little consequence to me that I just don't remember! The only issues I have ever had with Celebrity onboard accounting are not related to charges incurred, but rather making sure my OBC has been properly credited to my account, and I resolve such questions early in the cruise.

45 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

I see this recommendation regularly, but I have never understood how it could prevent the kind of erroneous charges that I read about regularly.  If, after disembarkation, someone is charged for a mini-bar item they didn't consume, couldn't that type of error happen if the items remained in the refrigerator during the whole cruise or were put on a shelf and returned to the refrigerator on the last day?   Maybe I am missing something, but it seems like whoever is counting/taking inventory could make a mistake in either situation.  

I'll be on the Equinox next year.   Are the minibars locked embarkation day?  If so, I think I'll leave it locked in an attempt to minimize erroneous charges.   

Minibars are not locked 

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2023 at 1:01 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

“the dining room waiting for our waiter to meander over at his leisure.  “🙄

people in the GTA sure are mean now , I have always seen waiters bust their asses in the MDR 

Nah….us GTAers only get crunchy when we’re lumped in with the Toronto folks 😜

and I agree, we’ve never seen any celebrity waitstaff ‘meander over at their leisure’

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, kk20 said:

Nah….us GTAers only get crunchy when we’re lumped in with the Toronto folks 😜

and I agree, we’ve never seen any celebrity waitstaff ‘meander over at their leisure’

Moved out of the GTA in ‘87,😁

it is a complete 💩show drive there 🤢😁

• Like 2

I concur with the OP's opinion,  Celebrity Equinox has definitely deteriorated in the last 12 months.

A few other changes that affected us :-

* Library had NO books, even on change over day when its stock should be at maximum.

* Back to Back cruiser were stopped leaving the ship after 9am.

* Mobile scooters have quadrupled - my ankles still hurt.

* Many items on Classic Bev. Pkg. not available even on day 2 after restocking.

* Security staff need better training / supervision ...... some very aggressive.

2 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

I concur with the OP's opinion,  Celebrity Equinox has definitely deteriorated in the last 12 months.

A few other changes that affected us :-

* Library had NO books, even on change over day when its stock should be at maximum.

* Back to Back cruiser were stopped leaving the ship after 9am.

* Mobile scooters have quadrupled - my ankles still hurt.

* Many items on Classic Bev. Pkg. not available even on day 2 after restocking.

* Security staff need better training / supervision ...... some very aggressive.

Celebrity doesn’t supply the books in the Library, bring your own 🙄

You don’t Celebrity to allow people with mobility issues on the ship? 🤔🙄

were you find notified the day before that you weren’t allowed off the ship after 9 AM? 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

same for us.. now we check the account daily on the tv system..but prefer a paper bill at the end..

9 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

You don’t Celebrity to allow people with mobility issues on the ship? 🤔🙄

were you find notified the day before that you weren’t allowed off the ship after 9 AM? 

* Celebrity did stock the library, they blamed theft as the problem.

* Mobility scooters should be limited to those that reserve Handicapped Cabins, read the Concordia report.

* In the Instruction Leaflet, advised to leave ship before 9am but no mention of a restriction post 9.30am.

• Haha 2

We just got off the Equinox on Nov 30th. We had a great time. Some service issues in the main dining room but they did work hard…probably newer staff. Wine steward and room steward were excellent. Thought most of the food in main dining room was pretty good. Thought food in ocean view was also pretty good. We always went to ocean view early for breakfast to beat crowds and went to ocean view 10 minutes before lunch service. We always got a table outside as was our preference. Find table then dh goes and gets his food then I go and get mine. Solves the wandering around with plates looking for table. Overall things were better than expected but maybe because my expectations were low as all the negative comments here scared me a bit.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

* Celebrity did stock the library, they blamed theft as the problem.

* Mobility scooters should be limited to those that reserve Handicapped Cabins, read the Concordia report.

* In the Instruction Leaflet, advised to leave ship before 9am but no mention of a restriction post 9.30am.

maybe they could just require a drs note or a copy of one's handicap parking sticker for scooters....and def a  brief hands on instruction by the rental company???

They are essential  for those who  need them,  but some are used otherwise... racing thru the long  passageways to EDEN on E Class..  def a hazard for pedestrians.!.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Celebrity definitely did supply the library. There were lots of hard cover books. They restocked them too with recent editions. As a reader I would head to the library on embark day to see what was available. I often discovered new authors to try at the ship libraries. Then they stopped. A non reader probably would not notice or care about the change. I also had and still have an e reader but the ship library was a good place for discovery. Definitely a deliberate cutback. 

• Like 2

We check our account daily while on a cruise to prevent extra charges.

We were on the Equinox for a B2B in September/October, 2023.  It was our best cruise ever!  The food was excellent and plentiful, crew was outstanding, buffet was plentiful and no issue with finding seats (both cruises were at capacity).  

Sorry, you did not enjoy your cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1