Travel to the port by train

JVes

Hi.

I'm new to cruising, but I've had my first cruise (YAY!) and loved it (More YAY!). But due to medical issues (Booo) I have extra luggage to lug around with.
A few years back, I travelled Melbourne-Brisbane by train. Luggage wasn't an issue, as long as you didn't bring too much into the cabin.

So now I'm thinking - why not take a train to get to Sydney's cruise terminals?
Does anyone have any experience with that? Any opinions? Words of wisdom?

Edited by JVes
Smiley made the sentence go weird.

56 minutes ago, JVes said:

Hi.

I'm new to cruising, but I've had my first cruise (YAY!) and loved it (More YAY!). But due to medical issues (Booo) I have extra luggage to lug around with.
A few years back, I travelled Melbourne-Brisbane by train. Luggage wasn't an issue, as long as you didn't bring too much into the cabin.

So now I'm thinking - why not take a train to get to Sydney's cruise terminals?
Does anyone have any experience with that? Any opinions? Words of wisdom?

Where would you be catching the train from ?
And I presume it’s Circular quay you are cruising from because there’s also White bay cruise terminal.
Generaly it’s the best way to get around Sydney.

Edited by Chiliburn

Intercity trains terminate at Central, and there are lifts to access the suburban platforms to take a train around the city circle to Circular Quay for OPT. For White Bay, it is an easy walk to the exit at Central for a cab or uber.

2 hours ago, JVes said:

why not take a train to get to Sydney's cruise terminals?
Does anyone have any experience with that?

I always do that. In fact, being extra stingy, I catch the bus from the Airport Domestic T3 terminal to Mascot train station and then get on the train to Circular Quay. This avoids the airport train surcharge and allows for last minute shopping for supplies at Mascot Woolworths.

My only caveat is to travel light.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I always do that. In fact, being extra stingy, I catch the bus from the Airport Domestic T3 terminal to Mascot train station and then get on the train to Circular Quay. This avoids the airport train surcharge and allows for last minute shopping for supplies at Mascot Woolworths.

If I am travelling light, I will walk to Mascot station. With a bit more luggage, I have taken an airport hotel shuttle to the Holiday Inn, then the short walk to Mascot station. I will have to investigate the bus a bit further. For me, the trip is about getting home, and the airport surcharge triples my measly $8 fare from Mascot to Newcastle.

Bear in mind, the OP is talking about having a bit of extra luggage to cart around, and fewer/easier hops might be the way to go.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.

I'd be taking the train from Melbourne to Sydney, avoiding the luggage limit on the plane. However, thank you for all the advice on which stations in Sydney go to the cruise ports!

And thank you for your experience, 2022 Cruisey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JVes said:

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.

I'd be taking the train from Melbourne to Sydney, avoiding the luggage limit on the plane. However, thank you for all the advice on which stations in Sydney go to the cruise ports!

And thank you for your experience, 2022 Cruisey.

Going by train from Melbourne to Sydney will avoid the luggage limit, but hauling extra luggage on and off suburban trains in Sydney might not be the best start to your holiday. It might be worth getting a taxi for the last leg of your journey.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I always do that. In fact, being extra stingy, I catch the bus from the Airport Domestic T3 terminal to Mascot train station and then get on the train to Circular Quay.

That's not stingy, that's smart.

18 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I always take the train to/from airport or OPT. When returning from o/s I take the train from airport to Central then to Newcastle and 9/10 times board with less than 10 minutes to spare. After 2200 IIRC the train is every 2 hours.

If coming from Melbourne to Central with extra luggage, taking a taxi (or Uber if you must) to OPT (or White Bay) would be the way to go.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Going by train from Melbourne to Sydney will avoid the luggage limit, but hauling extra luggage on and off suburban trains in Sydney might not be the best start to your holiday. It might be worth getting a taxi for the last leg of your journey.

That's an excellent point. We'll be sure to do that!

We have taken the overnight train from Melbourne to Sydney several times before a cruise. We buy a first class ticket, as the seats recline more than the seats in economy, so we get a bit more sleep. The first class checked luggage allowance is 2 x 20 kg + hand luggage.  We have found the service reasonably reliable,although on one occasion the train was replaced by buses from Albury to Sydney (we did have advance notice).

8 hours ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

We have taken the overnight train from Melbourne to Sydney several times before a cruise. We buy a first class ticket, as the seats recline more than the seats in economy, so we get a bit more sleep. The first class checked luggage allowance is 2 x 20 kg + hand luggage.  We have found the service reasonably reliable,although on one occasion the train was replaced by buses from Albury to Sydney (we did have advance notice).

I don't  like getting the bus when I have paid for a train seat.

• Like 3