Is it easy to spot first time cruisers ?

Crestawave

People who look dazed and confused aren’t always first timers.  Sailing for the first time on a different ship or cruise line can be quite disorienting.  Try going from one of Carnival’s Joe Farcus decorated ships to Cunard to MSC and they are quite different in both decor and layout.  EM

• Like 1

A few years ago we cruised on Hurtigruten, one of their small Norwegian coastal cruises. IIRC of the 100 (!) pax there were only two other "Americans." And that mad it even better in our opinion. And it wasn't our first cruised.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 1:39 AM, Crestawave said:

Is there other things that might give us away ?

Honestly, don't even worry about it.  When I spot first-time cruisers and see the awe they are in, I actually get somewhat jealous, and I remember that feeling I had on my first cruise.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Honestly, don't even worry about it.  When I spot first-time cruisers and see the awe they are in, I actually get somewhat jealous, and I remember that feeling I had on my first cruise.  

4 days in and to be honest you really wouldn't have a clue who the other first timers aboard are.

Other than the unrivalled friendliness of the crew, the exceptional food on offer and the sparkling cleanliness of the ship, the thing we most like about being at sea is being able to sit outside and not being pestered by flies, wasps, mosquitos etc whilst eating.

We're all ready planning our next Viking Journey , Greek Odyssey in 2025 favourite so far.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 6:19 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Remember the old camp song too:  "Starboard shines green, and port is glowing red, I can see the barges far ahead."  

I know that song....Camp Sealth on Vashon Island, WA

• 4 weeks later...

I remember a youngish newbie couple at Guernsey who got on the tender and the wife seemed to be a bit nervous. They sat next to me and we watched the tender pilot reposition a big fender  then walk back in and up a ladder to his driving position. The woman said "He hasn't got a clue what to do and he's driving" so I said to the husband "ohh, he's our waiter". Well he found it funny.

Regards John

• Haha 4

I use my lack of experience as a conversation starter and do I learn a lot.  If you are open and admit your lack of experience people will flock to give you advice and travel knowledge - so be careful about who you engage😉.   I have traveled a lot but am only moderately experienced in cruising and I prefer to always sail to new places.  Others love going to the same place year after year - those are the people I seek out. They can give you great tips