Ascent cabin design flaw

blueskadoo

We’re currently on the Ascent for the Christmas sailing. Ship is lovely in all regards except there is a glaring design flaw in the cabins…

Those evil couch legs!! You know the ones that are pure metal with no padding or protection for your toes? I had hoped that maybe they would find a way to improve these. 

My post is half in jest but last month on the Beyond, I managed to break a pinky toe on day 2 of 11. My husband stubbed and sliced open his toe on day 3 on this current cruise on Ascent. Perhaps we’re just incredibly clumsy, but has anyone else found those wicked little legs to be sharp too?

I want to start a campaign to wrap the couch legs in pool noodles. I doubt Nate Berkus would approve…until he ran into one of them too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, blueskadoo said:

We’re currently on the Ascent for the Christmas sailing. Ship is lovely in all regards except there is a glaring design flaw in the cabins…

Those evil couch legs!! You know the ones that are pure metal with no padding or protection for your toes? I had hoped that maybe they would find a way to improve these. 

My post is half in jest but last month on the Beyond, I managed to break a pinky toe on day 2 of 11. My husband stubbed and sliced open his toe on day 3 on this current cruise on Ascent. Perhaps we’re just incredibly clumsy, but has anyone else found those wicked little legs to be sharp too?

I want to start a campaign to wrap the couch legs in pool noodles. I doubt Nate Berkus would approve…until he ran into one of them too. 

I’m on her next month. Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blueskadoo said:

@blueskadoo can you please share the days of evening chic? This is the first Western itinerary on ascent. I am on it in February. That will help so much for restaurant selections. Thank you!

Sorry about your toe....ouchy,

I wrap  nasty couch legs with small towels...or bubble wrap....

Bigger issue seems to  be the noisy cabins,..see thread,

Ordering my ear  plugs today..hope we win the   quiet cabin lottery

3 hours ago, Winemaker_1 said:

Absolutely.   I'd never go barefoot in a cabin or hotel room unless I really wanted Tinea, Plantar Warts, etc....

Have never worn slippers in a cabin or hotel room on over 80 cruises and countless hotel rooms over 60+ years.  Never caught warts, tinea or any other infection of any type.  You do you, but seems overcautious to me.  But then I'm not a podiatrist either.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 1:42 PM, blueskadoo said:

Welcome to Kelly Hoppen’s world. One of Celebrity’s worst decisions was to hire her to design cabin interiors.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Welcome to Kelly Hoppen’s world. One of Celebrity’s worst decisions was to hire her to design cabin interiors.

…and sadly looks like she was hired to design all five ships in the Edge class.  There were multiple negative comments early on when Edge was released, but the same design “flaws” continue…thinking about the lovely coral sculpture 😵‍💫 for starters. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

…and sadly looks like she was hired to design all five ships in the Edge class.  There were multiple negative comments early on when Edge was released, but the same design “flaws” continue…thinking about the lovely coral sculpture 😵‍💫 for starters. 

Faux bleached coral...and a vase that says..do not use with water!  Kelly. duh!

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 1:42 PM, blueskadoo said:

Next cruise pack a pool noodle. Cut to the size of the couch legs. Then cut a slit down one side and slide on the couch legs...Problem solved!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sun bum said:

Next cruise pack a pool noodle. Cut to the size of the couch legs. Then cut a slit down one side and slide on the couch legs...Problem solved!

Also, keeping an eye on alcohol consumption can also help solve the problem! 🍺🍹

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, HeddaGarbled said:

I thought the cabin on Beyond was very nice 🤷‍♀️ 

We were just on Ascent and I also thought the cabin was lovely. There was so much storage, no one bumped into anything and the decor was very much high end hotel. Much improved over the S class ships - with the exception

of the infinite verandas which were 👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎

2 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

We were just on Ascent and I also thought the cabin was lovely. There was so much storage, no one bumped into anything and the decor was very much high end hotel. Much improved over the S class ships - with the exception

of the infinite verandas which were 👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎

What didn't you like about the infinite verandahs? My sister is inviting us to try the Ascent and I'm used to traditional balconies on Princess. Also how was the AC? We would be in the Med in June so hot weather. 

4 hours ago, sun bum said:

Cheaper, and smaller, would be a 3-4 foot length of pipe insulation, from your local Lowes or Home Depot. Costs maybe $2, and they have a slit cut on them already.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

What didn't you like about the infinite verandahs? My sister is inviting us to try the Ascent and I'm used to traditional balconies on Princess. Also how was the AC? We would be in the Med in June so hot weather. 

I tend to get up early in the morning and will usually go out on the balcony, close the curtains and door behind me, and enjoy some quiet time. Likewise, sometimes one or the other of us will want to go out on the balcony while the other sleeps or watches TV. That’s not possible with the infinite balcony. While there is a door that you can close between the ‘balcony’ area and the main room, it has frosted glass and light still comes through plus the AC  kicks off. Also didn’t like that you can’t open the window when it’s quite windy as the captain can lock all windows. 

Just not for us but if you don’t tend to use the balcony as a separate space then you may enjoy the extra square footage. 

The blackout blinds are really good -

helpful if you want to sleep in or have a long afternoon nap. We also closed the blinds when going out during the day which helped to keep the room cooler. 

AC was fine for us. The lowest we could set it was 19C. I tend to be warm at night and was comfortable. 

The ship is gorgeous. We would definitely sail on it again, just in a different class of cabin. 

Edited by mrgabriel
  • Thanks 1