Selbourne ‘Live’ from Aurora’s 2024 Grand Tour

Selbourne

On 1/24/2024 at 8:09 AM, Goosebear Mum said:

Hi. FYI, Key West is now very very anti cruise ship, they’ve banned all bar the smallest cruise ships, and many cruise companies have stopped going there, even ones with smaller ships than Aurora. I wouldn’t be surprised if ‘weather’ was an excuse for Aurora to not dock. Disappointing for you, I really hope ‘it does get better’, but it really is horrible here in the UK, weather wise!  

On 1/24/2024 at 9:34 AM, Snow Hill said:

From what I read the outright ban was overturned by the State Governor, however they now have a maximum of 1300 passengers allowed to come ashore each day, unclear whether that is in total or per ship. Not sure what the number of passengers on the current cruise is, the capacity is almost 1900, which would mean 600 passengers wouldn’t be able to go ashore. 

Interesting.

I too had heard that calls to Key West had been cancelled last year. But I notice that Scarlet Lady is currently docked there, the fourth time scheduled this month.

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Todays MDR menus

IMG_1239.jpeg

IMG_1240.jpeg

Nice looking menu, I'd be very tempted to give the Haggis & Cranachan a go! Hopefully there'll be some sightings of it on my cruise next year.. Actually I would expect there to be considering most of it will be in Scotland!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

Interesting.

I too had heard that calls to Key West had been cancelled last year. But I notice that Scarlet Lady is currently docked there, the fourth time scheduled this month.

Virgin (or more importantly Richard Branson) have a very long relationship formed in the early 1980's with  Southern Florida.  Key West was an important part of building the Virgin holidays brand along with Sunny Beach area in Miami. At the time the areas were trying to recover from the Medallin drugs wars and consequently anything Virgin is welcomed with open arms.  

It's still considered a "special" relationship between Virgin and southern Florida as a main founder of the UK/Florida tourist industry.

• Thanks 7

5 hours ago, TigerB said:

Not much on either of those that takes my fancy, so like you, it would be Glass House for lunch for us; maybe somewhere else for dinner.

I look on @Selbourne's post of the menu each day to see what we will have here on Ventura. However tonight is (another) Epicurean night 🎉

Thanks again for the lesson on inserting photos, by jove I think I've got it ☺️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Thanks again for the lesson on inserting photos, by jove I think I've got it 

Yes, I believe you have, young padawan; the Force is strong with you!

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Another sunny day in paradise. Will it never end? 

IMG_1245.mov

Oh my that weather looks awful. I really hope it improves for you soon. 

I've been catching up with your posts today, what a cruise you have had so far! You've had so much bad luck with the weather, plus the onboard issues you have had with regards to immigration, dining etc... You really shouldn't have had to keep chasing them up to get things sorted (or not!). 

I've really enjoyed reading all the menus and seeing your wonderful photos. So thank you again for sharing them with us. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

IMG_1250.thumb.jpeg.fcf65cbdbe90e589fbfa3559e9cdcef2.jpeg

Day 23 - Thursday 25th January - New Orleans 

We entered the Mississippi Delta at 10pm the previous evening, but it was pitch dark and very quickly became foggy, so we couldn’t really see anything other than a few lights through the gloom. We managed to sleep OK in spite of the frequent sounding of the ships fog horn. 

When we woke the ship was still moving and the fog was even thicker. When we eventually stopped the Deputy Captain made the first of several announcements at 7.05am to say that we couldn’t berth yet as there was nobody shoreside to secure the ropes. This took some time to organise but was eventually sorted. 

After 3 weeks it is clear that the people making the disembarkation announcements do not use the BBC weather forecast or any other reputable forecasting system, as they are usually way out. Yet again the Mickey Mouse weather forecasting service failed to warn us of the severity of what was to occur a few hours later and indeed for most of the day. Thankfully as I had looked at the far more accurate BBC forecast, we were at least slightly prepared!

So, after breakfast we headed ashore. I often use the expression that you only get one chance to make a first impression. Well, our first (and lasting) impression of New Orleans cruise terminal is that it is a complete dump. You firstly end up on the quayside with no directional signs as to where to go. I then spotted a woman sitting behind a trestle table who beckoned us towards her. She then waved us across a dark and dingy access road where busses were manoeuvring and then the only way out of that area was two lifts and no stairs, so everyone was piling up in front of the lifts, which took an age to arrive. 

There was still no clear signage where to go so we ended up getting out on the top floor of the Riverside Outlet Mall. We walked along this mall and asked a staff member where we needed to go. We got another lift down one floor (as far down and it would go) and continued along the mall. We then had to get a third lift down to yet another level from where we eventually picked up a sign for the French Quarter, so continued right to the end of the Mall and managed to get outside at long last and on to the riverside walk. 

The Creole Queen paddle boat was just leaving, so we watched that go and then continued to walk towards the French Quarter. After about 5 minutes the sky went black and we knew what was coming, so I quickened my pace and we just managed to get to the Natchez riverboat terminal when it started. Thunder, lightening and rain like you’ve never seen. We sheltered under a canopy and waited for it to stop. Well, we waited and waited and waited. Every time we thought that it was easing it would pick up again. After a full hour of waiting I decided that it was now or never, so I decided to make a dash for nearby Jackson Square and Cafe du Monde. We got about half way and it started absolutely pouring down again. 

I managed to get us under a canopy on the opposite side of Jackson Square to Cafe du Monde and then, when it finally eased to just heavy rain, I got us over to the other side. We ended up outside ‘Monty’s on the Square’ (under their canopy) and I popped in their to ask if they knew if there was a ‘handicapped restroom’ (to use the US terminology for disabled toilet) anywhere nearby, and they kindly offered the use of theirs, which was a relief as it was getting urgent. I noticed that they sold coffee and Beignets (which is what we were heading to Cafe du Monde for), so as they’d been so helpful we stopped there for them. This decision was made all the easier by the fact that there was jazz music playing in Cafe du Monde. I know that this next comment could get me locked up in New Orleans, but I love all types of music bar one - jazz. To me it is just an unpleasant noise that I go out of my way to avoid 😂 The coffee and  Beignets were both delicious. $20 plus I left a $5 tip. 

We continued along this street, as there were some canopies providing brief respite from the rain, and purchased some New Orleans sweatshirts for our daughters (I haggled the price down by buying two) and a New Orleans Christmas tree decoration in the Christmas shop! We skipped the French Market as it was still raining and headed back to Jackson Square. We went into the square and, as it was still raining, we were very grateful to a local who pointed out that the way that we had come into the square was the only ramped entrance and all others were steps, so we headed back out again. 

Bourbon Street is obviously the main destination in the French Quarter, so we headed up there in the rain, keeping under as many canopies as we could and walked up and down it. I’m sure it looks better on a nice day, or at night, but I’m glad that we made it. The weather was showing no sign of improving and we were both wet and miserable, so we decided to head back to the ship and get into some dry clothes. We were extremely glad to be back on the ship after yet another disappointing day weather wise. Those who went on organised tours on coaches today definitely made the wise choice! 

Tomorrow’s forecast looks rubbish as well, so I think we will restrict ourselves to the indoor mall next to the ship. We are done with getting drowned! We shall be glad to eventually get to the Caribbean although, unbelievably, the forecast for our first few ports down there doesn’t look great either 🙄

Dinner was Burns Night themed. The haggis starter was nice, as was the beef and potato stew. Well, to be precise, the beef and the stew were nice. What is it with P&O potatoes? Their barrel shaped roast potatoes are inedible. They taste like a week old roastie that’s been microwaved. The boiled potatoes (as in my stew and as with my wife’s fish) also had an unpleasant taste. My wife reckons they might be tinned? I’ve no idea, but I’ve never eaten potatoes that taste bad before. 

As we were overnight in New Orleans we had a local band for entertainment in the theatre - Phil Campo & The Loose Change Jazz Band. As its jazz I would have given it a wide berth but my wife wanted to go. Don’t tell anyone, but I quite enjoyed it! 😂 Tomorrow day 2 of our stay in foggy and rainy New Orleans. 

IMG_1243.jpeg

IMG_1248.jpeg

IMG_1249.jpeg

IMG_1252.jpeg

IMG_1251.jpeg

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4

I am so sorry about the weather you are having; especially a nuisance when you are also coping with a wheelchair.  But, god to hear you 'quite enjoyed' the jazz, trad. I imagine, as most people can't resist tapping their feet when listening to it.  It is simple, but catchy, unlike some of the more modern stuff which can be a bit over complicated for a simple soul like me.  It would be so good to hear you had better weather today, as New Orleans can look lovely when it is not pouring down.

• Like 8

What an excellent and detailed account of yet another challenging day for you both, so my hearty thanks for doing it 💐.

We have previously enjoyed a stay in New Orleans under our own steam, and it looks so very different in the sun of course. Glad to hear you enjoyed the beignets, as no visit would be complete without. We also tried our first Po' boys there.

On the subject of food, I completely agree about P&O and potatoes! I'll be touching on that topic on my next write-up.

I'm not a prayer, but I really hope it's not too long before you are able to refer to your cruise as one of two halves, with Miami being the exception in the first half, and with the second half being a dream 🤞

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. So do we 😂 🙏 💨 🌧️ 

Oh dear. That weather is monsoon-like. Such a disappointment for you all - I really hope it improves soon.
Loved the video tho and I am thoroughly enjoying all your reports. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Well, our first (and lasting) impression of New Orleans cruise terminal is that it is a complete dump. You firstly end up on the quayside with no directional signs as to where to go. I then spotted a woman sitting behind a trestle table who beckoned us towards her. She then waved us across a dark and dingy access road where busses were manoeuvring and then the only way out of that area was two lifts and no stairs, so everyone was piling up in front of the lifts, which took an age to arrive. 

When we were in New Orleans just prior to Covid we disembarked straight off the ship and in front of us was the dock gates - literally a two minute walk and we were out of the port. don't know if this has changed or if in your case it was to do with wheelchair access.

• Like 1

So sorry Selbourne that you were unable to enjoy the street performers and soak up the late afternoon / early evening atmosphere on Bourbon Street, but I must admit that we found some of the music coming out of some bars as a bit raucous, probably due to not consuming the requisite numbers or large beers or hand grenades.

The French Market as far as I can remember is undercover so maybe worth a visit.  

P1170934.JPG

P1170858.JPG

The Americans have such a way with words

P1170770.JPG

P1170831.JPG

Edited by Bill Y
  • Like 7

Just now, Eddie99 said:

Exactly

(written from 2 weeks of sun in The Canaries)

It’ll improve, for sure

I’m telling myself, and my wife, that everything up until now has been the support act and from the next stop onwards (when we finally reach the Caribbean) it will be the main event!

As it happens, neither of us cope well in blisteringly hot weather, but it would be nice to have more dry and sunny days. That’s why Miami was perfect. Dry all day but mid 20s so manageable, even pushing the wheelchair for miles. The forecast isn’t looking great for our first few stops in the Caribbean, but that may well change by the time we get there. 

• Like 12

If people willing good stuff to happen could work, you & Lady S would now be sitting on deck in calm seas, a tiny zephyr of a breeze gently caressing you as you sipped a cheeky piña colada 🙄

How close is that to the realité?

• Haha 5