What are these?

Go-Bucks!

I just got back from the Ruby, staying in a balcony cabin on the Caribe deck. I've seen these things on previous cruises, but this time I noticed that they're on every other balcony on many decks. They look like cameras that are watching the balconies. I'm hoping they're not, so I'm asking if anyone really knows what they are...no guesses please.

Screenshot_20240105_020302_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240105_020327_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240105_020335_Gallery.jpg

Posted (edited)

I was told they are lights that can be turned on in emergencies. WiFi Repeaters are in the hallways. About 8inch square with a small blue light.

Edited by Greg4502

No electrician but that line going in there ain’t no 12v!  That’s carrying some juice…plug looks stout as well.  Could very well be a emergency lighting system.

Trust me, these are WiFi repeaters. I remember times when they werent't there over the balconies, and WiFi signal was unusable or at least very poor on the balconies. Princess changed that fleetwide for the MedallionNet.

31 minutes ago, Crashe said:

That’s carrying some juice…plug looks stout as well.

No, not thick cables, they are just carrying a lot of paint, like everythink on the outside. Plugs - hm, outside in sea conditions, of course this can be 12v plugs.

I am an electrician but not sure exactly what they are. I would say a sensor or an alarm. The enclosure, and cord connector are waterproof and heavy duty.

Posted (edited)

Anti-gravity emitters.  In an emergency they can be powered on to lift the ship out of the water.  They use a great deal of power, so they aren't used except in extreme circumstances.  

Although at night, when everyone is asleep, the captain will take her up just for the fun of it. 

Edited by nazpaz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 14

27 minutes ago, nazpaz said:

Anti-gravity emitters.  In an emergency they can be powered on to lift the ship out of the water.  They use a great deal of power, so they aren't used except in extreme circumstances.  

Although at night, when everyone is asleep, the captain will take her up just for the fun of it. 

👍🤣

56 minutes ago, nazpaz said:

Checks calendar.  Nope, it's still January.

• Haha 2

Don't you remember how bad the WiFi was prior to 2018/2019 on the balconies? It changed. For some unknown reason, these silly structures showed up on the balcony ceilings. Since then, we had broadband on the balcony.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Don't you remember how bad the WiFi was prior to 2018/2019 on the balconies? It changed. For some unknown reason, these silly structures showed up on the balcony ceilings. Since then, we had broadband on the balcony.

Those "things" were there pre-2020, but I don't remember seeing so many of them. Whatever they are, it felt kinda creepy since they looked like cameras. I didn't do anything weird on the balcony (lol) but was hoping no one was looking inside the cabin.

4 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

but I don't remember seeing so many of them. 

As I said, they came 2018/2019.

5 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

but I don't remember seeing so many of them.

One per balcony.

2 hours ago, EDVM96 said:

As I said, they came 2018/2019.

That time period was when they started wiring the ship for WiFi and the medallions.  I have no idea what the OP is asking.