What are these?

Go-Bucks!

4 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Some one currently on a cruise just go and ask some one and solve the equation.

We'll be on the Sapphire in a couple of weeks, and I'll definitely be asking just to see if my previous wi-fi router assumption is correct. That's the only explanation I can come up with, as I do a lot of posting to CC while on our balcony with the door closed and I always have the same wi-fi reception whether I'm inside or outside.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Crashe said:

Google picture search shows a few similar devices.  Heat detectors…which would make sense over balconies.

After the Star Princess Fire in 2006, Princess equipped all balconies with Sprinkler - fleetwide.
You think they added heat detectors in 2018?

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We'll be on the Sapphire in a couple of weeks, and I'll definitely be asking just to see if my previous wi-fi router assumption is correct. 

Yes, please ask an engineering officer. I really want to know it, too. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Fire/Heat/smoke sensor. These were added after the Star Princess fire.

No. They weren't there before 2018. Star Princess fire was in 2006.

Edited by EDVM96

Posted (edited)

Curious and following!  Although I *really* don't think they have anything to do with wifi...because that would be an absolute "waste" of coverage being located on the edge of the balcony like that.  The wifi access point located in the cabin itself will *easily* cover the balcony.  A pane of sliding door glass will NOT hamper a radio signal.

Plus...the "covers" appear to be all metal...which would inhibit a signal.

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I *really* don't think they have anything to do with wifi...because that would be an absolute "waste" of coverage being located on the edge of the balcony like that.  The wifi access point located in the cabin itself will *easily* cover the balcony.  A pane of sliding door glass will NOT hamper a radio signal.

As I wrote before, the WiFi signal was extremely bad on the balconies. Example 2017 on the Crown. I always had to go inside to send a plain text Whatsapp message. lol.

Since theses "things" appeared, outside WiFi got much better. MedallionNet installation. Still my 1st guess.

Edited by EDVM96

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Curious and following!  Although I *really* don't think they have anything to do with wifi...because that would be an absolute "waste" of coverage being located on the edge of the balcony like that.  The wifi access point located in the cabin itself will *easily* cover the balcony.  A pane of sliding door glass will NOT hamper a radio signal.

Plus...the "covers" appear to be all metal...which would inhibit a signal.

Good points. The only reason I originally thought it might be a wi-fi router was because when I was on one of those E-class ships on another cruise line while sitting on one of their sky suite balconies, I got zero wi-fi reception when the sliding glass door was closed. But when I cracked the door open to get access to the wi-fi, the AC in the cabin would shut off. Not good when you're in the Caribbean and your DW is inside trying to stay cool.

Then when we recently went on the CB and then the Regal and got great reception on the balcony with the door closed, I just "assumed" that "round box" was the reason. But after reading the above link provided by @DHP1, I'm now leaning more towards the fire/heat/smoke detector theory.

But when we're on the Sapphire in a couple of weeks, I'll ask the question, if for no other reason than to quell my curiosity.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I'm now leaning more towards the fire/heat/smoke detector theory.

The next great Princess mystery after the disappearing barrel chairs. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Potstech said:

My guess, just as good as any other, is a alarm sound annunciator in case of emergencies like crash or abandon ship. Next guess.

Now that's a good guess, in my opinion!  Seems a bit redundant if there is in fact one located on *each* balcony, as has been suggested.

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Seems a bit redundant if there is in fact one located on *each* balcony, as has been suggested.

There's indeed one on each balcony.

5 hours ago, Potstech said:

My guess, just as good as any other, is a alarm sound annunciator in case of emergencies like crash or abandon ship. Next guess.

I agree with you. Most likely a buzzer type or horn type. I will pay attention at the muster station training and see if an alarm will sound to report to your muster station in a real emergency. I know the captain will verbally announce, but that intercom system will not notify all.  I think there is different alarm sequences for different type of emergencies. I am sure they test the alarm system often, probably on sea days . 

7 minutes ago, 2and2 said:

I agree with you. Most likely a buzzer type or horn type. I will pay attention at the muster station training and see if an alarm will sound to report to your muster station in a real emergency. I know the captain will verbally announce, but that intercom system will not notify all.  I think there is different alarm sequences for different type of emergencies. I am sure they test the alarm system often, probably on sea days . 

Buddy, it didn't alarm since 2018.

Those are either emergency lights to flood the ship in the event of a situation, or heat sensors monitoring for fire. I don't know the timing as to when those were added, but they are not wifi related, medallion related, or a camera.  

The boost in wifi coverage out to the balconies is due to the in-room wifi router. When each ship was updated with Medallion technology, the new tvs that went in place are hiding a small wifi router behind them. This is the major boost of connectivity we've noticed since 2018/2019. Prior to that, the routers were only in the hallways and would struggle getting a signal through the heavy metal/fire proof cabin door. 

In addition to the in-room routers, there are medallion sensors overhead in the bathroom, cabins, and balcony. But the one on the balcony is a lot smaller than this emergency light dome, and fully enclosed in opaque plastic (and all medallion wiring is purple too if you haven't noticed). 

Again, not sure if its for additional emergency lighting or for fire monitoring (since the Star Princess incident in 2006), but I can confirm its not a camera, medallion sensor, or wireless access point. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, hcps-osullivax said:

The boost in wifi coverage out to the balconies is due to the in-room wifi router. When each ship was updated with Medallion technology, the new tvs that went in place are hiding a small wifi router behind them. This is the major boost of connectivity we've noticed since 2018/2019. Prior to that, the routers were only in the hallways and would struggle getting a signal through the heavy metal/fire proof cabin door.

Makes sense what you say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EDVM96 said:

Buddy, it didn't alarm since 2018.

The cables, cord connectors and conduit have been there a long time.  I lost you, what does 2018 have to do with it.

1 hour ago, hcps-osullivax said:

Those are either emergency lights to flood the ship in the event of a situation, or heat sensors monitoring for fire. I don't know the timing as to when those were added, but they are not wifi related, medallion related, or a camera.  

In addition to the in-room routers, there are medallion sensors overhead in the bathroom, cabins, and balcony. But the one on the balcony is a lot smaller than this emergency light dome, and fully enclosed in opaque plastic (and all medallion wiring is purple too if you haven't noticed). 

Again, not sure if its for additional emergency lighting or for fire monitoring (since the Star Princess incident in 2006), but I can confirm its not a camera, medallion sensor, or wireless access point. 

Thanks for clearing this all up. I knew there had to be a Wi-Fi router (sensor) of sorts on the balcony. The service on the balcony was just too good for there not to be one. 😁

2 hours ago, hcps-osullivax said:

Are these really routers or just access points. I can't see the reason to put a router in each room, that not how wireless networks work. You would want either Access Points or Extenders in various locations, but unless each room is its own network (sub-net), you would not need routers. 

• Like 2

Right, not routers or repeaters.  Cisco Aironet Access Points are in some cabins (suites especially - behind the TV) and on the ceilings of passageways.  As noted they are white boxes some with a blue light on (hopefully).  They home back to ethernet switches in the electrical closets.

There are none on cabin balconies.

image.thumb.png.dce64bd631daca6d4c252d48659794f2.png

image.thumb.png.9de1757d8a09ec7eac17dd957160fb13.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I suspect they are part of the external fire protection system. While not an exact match I found this picture as part of an article describing the changes Princess made after the ship fire. Note the person pointing to both the sprinkler head and the detector that looks pretty similar to the picture mounted in a similar location. I think this picture was of the implementation on the Star Princess.

Liffridge-5(1)(1).jpg

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Infrared flame detector.  Due to the wind on balconies, smoke and heat detectors don't work too well, so they go with the flame detectors. The sprinkler head provides heat detection, as the thermal bulb blows out at around 135*F.  And, if you look closely enough, the photo above is of the exact same sensor as the OP's photo.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 13