What ship are you jumping to?

nextariel

Many have expressed disappoint to the changes occurring on Celebrity ships. We are looking for a replacement and looking for recommendations from those who have already jumped ship. We have booked with Holland America, but first one isn't until December. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. 

We have sailed mostly in Aqua, but on Edge class ships moved to Retreat because not a fan of the Infinite balcony or the noise in Blu. We actually prefer the Solstice class ship size, but also loved the Summit. Most of the S-class ships are in need of refreshment and not interested in sailing a worn out ship. We like the food, tremendous service and friendliness of staff on Celebrity. We don't want to pay an upcharge on a glass of Decoy when we purchased the Premium Beverage Package. We want the gratuities to be included when you book a package for upgraded perks. 

• Like 3

We will be taking our last booked Celebrity Retreat cruise this year.

We have nothing else booked or planned with Celebrity.

We are jumping ship to Explora Journeys, one cruise booked and in the process of booking another at the moment when our TA gets back to us.

Circa 1000 pax on the size of a ship of similar size to Constellation, new, all suites and cheaper / similar price!

It may be a poor move but on paper it looks sensible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are sailing Regent this summer and then trying Oceania for the first time next January. We like the Retreat on the S class ships that have been revolutionized but have no more cruises booked.

• Like 2

We are on Beyond now and will be Elite+ at the end of this cruise. We decided for next January to jump back to Princess and sail on their new, still under construction, Sun Princess. The Sun Princess' new Sanurtary Class seems to be Princess' first attempt to try a ship-in-a-ship concept. The pricing seems reasonable even after adding their version of a all-in option. We have sailed Princess several times and try are close to Celebrity. 

We will miss the Retreat, but Celebrity has priced us out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We've been considering other lines for a while now - since our Summit cruise to Bermuda in 2019, in fact. We planned to try MSC Yacht Club (canceled due to Covid) and Crystal (canceled due to bankruptcy), and finally were able to sail Virgin Voyages' Scarlet Lady a few weeks ago. VV was nice but not a perfect fit for us, so we're back to the search. We'll probably sail an E-class ship before we try another line, but we still want to get back to MSC Yacht Club and maybe try Princess to Alaska. Also looking at some expedition-style ships/lines for more exotic itineraries (Antarctica!).

As frustrating as the changes on X are, our trip on VV taught us that no line is perfect. We're trying to adjust our expectations and also reminding ourselves that there are other types of vacations besides cruising!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, sptrout said:

We are on Beyond now and will be Elite+ at the end of this cruise. We decided for next January to jump back to Princess and sail on their new, still under construction, Sun Princess. The Sun Princess' new Sanurtary Class seems to be Princess' first attempt to try a ship-in-a-ship concept. The pricing seems reasonable even after adding their version of a all-in option. We have sailed Princess several times and try are close to Celebrity. 

We will miss the Retreat, but Celebrity has priced us out.

We will be on Beyond in April/May. Who currently are the concierges? Curious your experience, so far? 

1 hour ago, JDPCruisers said:

We will be on Beyond in April/May. Who currently are the concierges? Curious your experience, so far? 

Do not know the concierges; really have never known them.

So far after 4 days of an 11 night cruise in the Retreat (Sky Suite) everything has been okay. The room service is no more than what I would have expected in a lowest level cabin on a ship. Just a cabin attendant (aka, Retreat Host). Previously provided pre-cruise inputs ignored, but provided after mentioning them. Met the "Head Butler" briefly one time. Do not expect to see him again.

We were on this same ship exactly one year ago this week. We noticed cut backs even then when compared to a 10 -night sailing on the Reflection one year previous. This year even more noticeable. As mentioned the room service is what one would expect from a single cabin attendant. Remember when there was a cabin attendant, assistant cabin attendant, and a Butler? 

Our only request was for bottled water of any kind. So far random two bottles of water in plastic.

Lumiane service has been very good as usual, but food quality is down and generally unimpressive. 

I know that I sound negative, but probably more negative than what I should be posting. We are having a good time and it seems like the ship is close to capacity. No official word on the number of passengers on board, but my quess is full especially the Suites.

• Thanks 1

Princess.

I’ve read a review that Celebrity and Princess are of equal standard.

We are not happy that the included gratuities have been taken away from Celebrity All included.

They are still included in Princess +, which was on offer from a UK TA.

Our favourite Celebrity ship now sails from Amsterdam and often returns to Rotterdam, which will make for complicated travel arrangements. 
Only Apex sails from Southampton. I want a proper balcony which I will get with Princess.

3 minutes ago, sptrout said:

Do not know the concierges; really have never known them.

So far after 4 days of an 11 night cruise in the Retreat (Sky Suite) everything has been okay. The room service is no more than what I would have expected in a lowest level cabin on a ship. Just a cabin attendant (aka, Retreat Host). Previously provided pre-cruise inputs ignored, but provided after mentioning them. Met the "Head Butler" briefly one time. Do not expect to see him again.

We were on this same ship exactly one year ago this week. We noticed cut backs even then when compared to a 10 -night sailing on the Reflection one year previous. This year even more noticeable. As mentioned the room service is what one would expect from a single cabin attendant. Remember when there was a cabin attendant, assistant cabin attendant, and a Butler? 

Our only request was for bottled water of any kind. So far random two bottles of water in plastic.

Lumiane service has been very good as usual, but food quality is down and generally unimpressive. 

I know that I sound negative, but probably more negative than what I should be posting. We are having a good time and it seems like the ship is close to capacity. No official word on the number of passengers on board, but my quess is full especially the Suites.

Thanks for the feedback. We have lowered our expectations but still anticipating a good cruise on a "new" ship to us. Do you remember the Head Butlers name? Not sure they will be ours but good to just know in advance. 

3 minutes ago, sptrout said:

I know that I sound negative, but probably more negative than what I should be posting. We are having a good time

One can note flaws and have a good time simultaneously. Critical thinking doesn't negate enjoyment. Have fun!

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

Thanks for the feedback. We have lowered our expectations but still anticipating a good cruise on a "new" ship to us. Do you remember the Head Butlers name? Not sure they will be ours but good to just know in advance. 

Our Head Butler according to his business card left in the cabin is "George" no last name given.

14 minutes ago, sptrout said:

Our Head Butler according to his business card left in the cabin is "George" no last name given.

Thanks for that. Any cards for the concierges left in your cabin? If so, and only if you find a chance, mind posting their names? Wanting to see if they are anyone we have had in the past.

4 hours ago, nextariel said:

1-We like the food, tremendous service and friendliness of staff on Celebrity.

2-We want the gratuities to be included when you book a package for upgraded perks. 

Over the " years " we never had a bad cruise with Celebrity ( 2 cruises booked this winter )--

( Gotta get out of this cold )!!!!

Some thoughts from our prospective, respecting that everyone has their own opinions:

1- These three things are extremely important to us as well---

So, in the overall cruise " experience "-- Why take a chance in changing Cruise Lines because a ship is not as " refreshed " as the new ships ? 

We were on the Edge -- agree completely about the IV --- not a balcony at all.

2- If the Gratuities were included in the package , it's pretty certain they are built into the price.

We are not suite passengers ( non-drinkers, don't need much wifi, and wouldn't need the services of a Butler).

From the above, it appears that several suite passengers are not as satisfied with the Butler/Suite Host service as in the past. I can see some folks switching to Aqua/Concierge/Verandah cabins, but, not necessarily to another Line.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Ok.  Well were jumping but not cruise line. We’re doing the Edge class in January for the first time. 

We sailed all ships 35 times but this will be the first on the Apex.  

We enjoyed Apex for two different cruises, along with Edge, and have truly enjoyed them. Just us, but we recommend trying them. 

9 minutes ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Ok.  Well were jumping but not cruise line. We’re doing the Edge class in January for the first time. 

We sailed all ships 35 times but this will be the first on the Apex.  

we will try APEX  next yr..hve done EDGE,  BEYOND, ASCENT next...but jumping  back to Concierge Class on Silhouette..

We will not be shifting to a single line like we did with Celebrity for 23 years.  Our first non-Celebrity was on Ponant - explorer type cruises with 125 is passengers... Totally no comparison possible.

While we have not taken yet We have booked 2 TA's on Cunard (in lieu of flying to UK) and over the weekend Booked an Oceania Cruise for 2025.   Stay tuned for a Live Side by Side by Side   Cunard - Oceania - Celebrity  in November 2025 (long time off so don't hold your breath).

• Like 7

It’s funny we have been doing Suites for the majority of our cruises with Celebrity and have never had a bad experience.

However the first leg of our 21 day cruise (On Eclipse) from Buenos to Liberty NJ is 7 days in a Concierge cabin on the pool deck. We then will move up to a Suite for the 14 day. 

I guess where I am going with this comment is. Gonna just relax and have fun by the pool for those 7 days.

Its a change. 

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We will not be shifting to a single line like we did with Celebrity for 23 years.  Our first non-Celebrity was on Ponant - explorer type cruises with 125 is passengers... Totally no comparison possible.

While we have not taken yet We have booked 2 TA's on Cunard (in lieu of flying to UK) and over the weekend Booked an Oceania Cruise for 2025.   Stay tuned for a Live Side by Side by Side   Cunard - Oceania - Celebrity  in November 2025 (long time off so don't hold your breath).

Please keep us posted Boss 😊

Actually, all the negative info seems to be about the Retreat, and maybe about Aqua. I’ve not read or heard anything about major cuts and fare increases in the main part of the ships. In fact on the main part of the X ships, the fares look competitive with the other main stream lines. So if we were still ‘’mass market” cruisers, we wouldn’t be jumping ship from X. But we are now cruising lux and near lux, and really liked the Retreat as it used to be. But we don’t think we’d like it much now at the current prices. So we have jumped ship to Regent — actually back to Regent. We have two current bookings on that line and have taken one recently. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Actually, all the negative info seems to be about the Retreat, and maybe about Aqua. I’ve not read or heard anything about major cuts and fare increases in the main part of the ships. In fact on the main part of the X ships, the fares look competitive with the other main stream lines. So if we were still ‘’mass market” cruisers, we wouldn’t be jumping ship from X. But we are now cruising lux and near lux, and really liked the Retreat as it used to be. But we don’t think we’d like it much now at the current prices. So we have jumped ship to Regent — actually back to Regent. We have two current bookings on that line and have taken one recently. 

This

I think the main part of the ship is pretty much the same as before and that was a good product. 

The Retreat area (which we stay in these days) is definitely priced too close to the Silver Sea, Crystal and Regent for our taste  We have booked a 2024 Med cruise on Silver Sea for the same price as a equivalent X. Smaller ship, smaller ports and a bigger dining choice. 

The problem we have is that we like to take a post holiday cruise in January.  X has been an easy choice (we live in south Florida in winter) and a 30 minute drive to FLL is a no brainer - just pick the Saturday you want to leave .  The lux ships have unusual home ports, longer cruises than we want. That said, when Retreat was $6k it was a good value.  At $8k it's ok, at $10k I really question the value. The $2 up charge for drinks is just something  that annoys me and is just tacky. 

• Like 1