Crown Princess

Hi everyone. To those of you who seem to be in the know - Crown Princess is scheduled to replace Coral and be based in Aus.  Because it is to be based in Aus, can I reasonably assume that an Aus/NZ 240v power outlet will be installed in cabins prior to its redeployment?  Best legal advice is never presume anything, but whaddya think, yes, probably, possibly?

Research found narratives that said that particular class of ship had US outlets plus a European outlet.  They also talk about a 3 pin Euro outlet behind the bed.

I also looked at a handful of very recent YouTube Crown Princess balcony cabin videos with walk-throughs (including medallion door access). Being US based, no-one particularly dwelt on the types of power outlets but from what I could see by the desk, there were only two US outlets close together, no Euro outlet in sight.

I'm asking because SIL uses a 240v C-Pap machine (research also said some machines are dual 120v/240v, but I don't want to assume anything).

Any helpful advice?

Cheers 🍹

Edited by Jean C

All they have to do is change the face plate on the EU outlet to AU so you should find one AU socket in your cabin. However I always recommend carrying a US and a EU adaptor, just in case.

Note: the EU circuit is 220v so should be OK for the CPAP. The US circuit is 110v.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

There might be more than just a faceplate change needed. A lot of the pics floating around are older, but current passengers are also saying that outlets are limiting. Even after a drydock late in 2022, there were no USB's sockets fitted. I gather Crown has never been previously based in Europe.

Whichever way, by the time she arrives there will be an Aussie outlet on the desk, at least one US outlet to use with adaptor pins, and hopefully some USB sockets as well.

• Like 2

Crown does not arrive in Australia until 26th Oct, its first cruise is the Syd-Syd round Australia, ending on the 23rd Nov.

I will be on it for that cruise, if you can't confirm before then let me know and I will tell you what's there.

Regards

John

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jean C said:

I'm asking because SIL uses a 240v C-Pap machine (research also said some machines are dual 120v/240v, but I don't want to assume anything).

You don't have to assume anything. Look at the plug on the C-Pap machine and it will say something like Input 100V-240V which means it can be operated safely with voltage in that range, all you need is an adapter if plugging into non-Aus outlet.  I would be very surprised if the C-Pap isn't dual voltage as almost all modern portable type appliances you'd take onto a ship are.

I recommend taking the US plug. I always do as all Princess ships have them and they are lightweight and take up virtually no space. I just got off the Grand and the cabin I was in had the Aus plug behind the hairdryer about 4m from the bedhead. I wouldn't want SIL tying herself in knots to reach the Aussie plug. I was in an interior cabin. Last year, same ship in a m/s and there was an Aussie plug by the bed so it may well depend on cabin type also.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, arxcards said:

There might be more than just a faceplate change needed. A lot of the pics floating around are older, but current passengers are also saying that outlets are limiting. Even after a drydock late in 2022, there were no USB's sockets fitted. I gather Crown has never been previously based in Europe.

Whichever way, by the time she arrives there will be an Aussie outlet on the desk, at least one US outlet to use with adaptor pins, and hopefully some USB sockets as well.

Thank you very much - I knew you would know 😊 You're always so reliably informative 🥰

And thank you everyone else for your helpful input.

Yes, I've trawled through recent YouTube videos for Crown (with their annoying commentaries - here's the light switch - etc etc) and one specifically mentions that there isn't a Euro outlet, just two US outlets. I recall son-in-law saying C-Pap machine doesn't work so well with 110v.

I imagine there'd be a real ruckus when Crown comes Down Under, if there were no Aus outlets. But as you say, it's strange that there aren't even retro-fitted USB ports.

Do you know, without doing any cumbersome research, if she has any sort of dry dock prior to coming Down Under for an electrical conversion to take place?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Crown does not arrive in Australia until 26th Oct, its first cruise is the Syd-Syd round Australia, ending on the 23rd Nov.

I will be on it for that cruise, if you can't confirm before then let me know and I will tell you what's there.

Regards

John

Thank you very much, first hand confirmation would be wonderful so I really appreciate it. I'd be interested too in the placement of an Aus outlet, if on desk, wonderful, if below hairdryer I would need SIL to check if he'd need an extension cord. They sail in a regular balcony cabin in May 2025, a way off yet (having been a belt-and-braces person all my life, so to speak, I like all i's dotted and t's crossed nicely in advance).

Thanks 🥰

37 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Thank you very much, first hand confirmation would be wonderful so I really appreciate it. I'd be interested too in the placement of an Aus outlet, if on desk, wonderful, if below hairdryer I would need SIL to check if he'd need an extension cord. They sail in a regular balcony cabin in May 2025, a way off yet (having been a belt-and-braces person all my life, so to speak, I like all i's dotted and t's crossed nicely in advance).

Thanks 🥰

Happy too, will get locations.

All the Aussie plugs I've seen on princess ships have been on the desk area, or up behind the old TV shelf, so would expect an extension cord would be needed if using Aus plug outlet.

But as Yaya_in_Oz said, check the C-Pap machine, would be surprised if it was not bi-voltage.

Give me a reminder closer to the 26th as a nudge not to forget. Have put it in my calendar, but always good to double check.

So yes I too like dot i's & cross t's.😁

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Happy too, will get locations.

All the Aussie plugs I've seen on princess ships have been on the desk area, or up behind the old TV shelf, so would expect an extension cord would be needed if using Aus plug outlet.

But as Yaya_in_Oz said, check the C-Pap machine, would be surprised if it was not bi-voltage.

Give me a reminder closer to the 26th as a nudge not to forget. Have put it in my calendar, but always good to double check.

So yes I too like dot i's & cross t's.😁

Thanks, will do 😊 From recent videos I've seen, the old TV shelf is still the TV shelf, the humongous TV sits angled on the old shelf, sticking out the side, appearing to be a head knock hazard. It would have made so much more sense to sit it flat on the wall opposite the bed, as has been done on the Coral 😂

Edited by Jean C

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

Thank you very much - I knew you would know 😊 You're always so reliably informative 🥰

And thank you everyone else for your helpful input.

Yes, I've trawled through recent YouTube videos for Crown (with their annoying commentaries - here's the light switch - etc etc) and one specifically mentions that there isn't a Euro outlet, just two US outlets. I recall son-in-law saying C-Pap machine doesn't work so well with 110v.

I imagine there'd be a real ruckus when Crown comes Down Under, if there were no Aus outlets. But as you say, it's strange that there aren't even retro-fitted USB ports.

Do you know, without doing any cumbersome research, if she has any sort of dry dock prior to coming Down Under for an electrical conversion to take place?

Next drydock for Crown looks to be from October 2025 in Singapore, pretty much a year after arriving here and 3 years after her previous one. They can alter power outlets on a crossing by travelling with an additional electrical team. In order to base a ship here, it is 99% sure they will accommodate the passengers with an AU outlet. Similarly, ,I would expect Coral to replace her AU socket with a Euro one during her departing drydock late this year.

It appears that Crown's bed lamps plug into a Euro socket behind the bed. Nice there is something, but that is impractical - and they are unlikely to convert that socket to AU and also have to change the plugs on the lamps at the same time. As a backup plan C, a Euro adaptor will give you awkward access to 220V.

In the days of globalisation, most appliances are designed to work across the voltage range. It allows the production line to make what is essentially the same item worldwide, with just a different plug on the end. Some even come with a pack of plugs to click on the one that suits the country of use. As mentioned, never assume though, especially with medical equipment. Most small appliances draw 12V or less, and it is large appliances or things that apply heat that are the most affected by using 110V outlets (kettles, irons, hair dryers/straighteners etc).

51 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Next drydock for Crown looks to be from October 2025 in Singapore, pretty much a year after arriving here and 3 years after her previous one. They can alter power outlets on a crossing by travelling with an additional electrical team. In order to base a ship here, it is 99% sure they will accommodate the passengers with an AU outlet. Similarly, ,I would expect Coral to replace her AU socket with a Euro one during her departing drydock late this year.

It appears that Crown's bed lamps plug into a Euro socket behind the bed. Nice there is something, but that is impractical - and they are unlikely to convert that socket to AU and also have to change the plugs on the lamps at the same time. As a backup plan C, a Euro adaptor will give you awkward access to 220V.

In the days of globalisation, most appliances are designed to work across the voltage range. It allows the production line to make what is essentially the same item worldwide, with just a different plug on the end. Some even come with a pack of plugs to click on the one that suits the country of use. As mentioned, never assume though, especially with medical equipment. Most small appliances draw 12V or less, and it is large appliances or things that apply heat that are the most affected by using 110V outlets (kettles, irons, hair dryers/straighteners etc).

Thank you, very helpful advice as always. If for any reason Crown doesn't install an Aus socket (@Ozwoody will kindly confirm after his cruise), I'll pack the family off with both a US and a Euro converter. 

Thanks heaps 😊

Just now, windsor26 said:

Just take an adaptor as you cannot be sure  We were on the Royal last week and they did not have Australian outlets and it has been here some time

The same applies to all Princess summer ships, with the exception of Majestic. They only fit Aussie outlets to the ships that are based here year-round (currently Coral). Majestic is a coincidental exception of sorts - she was built for the Chinese market, and the Chinese have identical outlets to us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Just take an adaptor as you cannot be sure  We were on the Royal last week and they did not have Australian outlets and it has been here some time

Thanks, will pack them off with adaptors and leave it to them to be prepared to charge their phones without USB ports (not travelling with rug rats with endless devices this time) 😊

By the way, I'll be on Royal later this year, I'd already researched socket situation and have a Euro adaptor. It looks a lovely ship. The balcony looks tiny (we're not large people and are used to the small balconies). The balcony for Crown looks a tad deeper, even being just a regular balcony.

Another quick question - is the pump moisturiser in the cabins standard in our neck of the woods? We were in a mini suite last trip and I thought it might be a "perk", however it shows in a lot of on line videos, cruising from the States though. I really liked it and would definitely not bother bringing my own for legs/arms 🤔

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Yes, unlikely to convert those but it does confirm there is a 220v supply to each cabin on Crown. 

I don't think I've ever cruised on a Princess ship in our region that didn't have an AU socket. Even when repositioning up to Asia.

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, unlikely to convert those but it does confirm there is a 220v supply to each cabin on Crown. 

I don't think I've ever cruised on a Princess ship in our region that didn't have an AU socket. Even when repositioning up to Asia.

For us, Diamond Princess & Golden Princess didn't. Even Sun Princess when she first arrived and maybe even Dawn Princess had US & Euro to start with. Alternatively, Grand isn't full-time, but it does have an Aussie outlet with a couple of USBs.

I would say it should be right on the night, but we will always travel with pin adaptors anyway.

52 minutes ago, arxcards said:

For us, Diamond Princess & Golden Princess didn't. Even Sun Princess when she first arrived and maybe even Dawn Princess had US & Euro to start with. Alternatively, Grand isn't full-time, but it does have an Aussie outlet with a couple of USBs.

I would say it should be right on the night, but we will always travel with pin adaptors anyway.

I'm fairly sure Diamond and Golden had them when we did repositioning cruises on them but I could be wrong. It was too long ago!

Our travel electronics kit has a new Aldi travel adaptor, an AU double adaptor with USB ports (my fan has a plug that neatly blocks the USB ports on the ship's AU socket, the double adaptor solves that problem), two US adaptors, one EU adaptor, two Samsung fast chargers, and a motley collection of cables. These live in two neat little bags so all we have to do is check them in our carry-ons. 

On 1/14/2024 at 10:27 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

The AU socket is virtually identical to the most common Chinese socket (type I).

I suspect that they might become more common as more Chinese cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, icat2000 said:

The Royal Princess didn't have any AUD plugs. Lucky I brought converters/adaptors and also cabin steward got me one too.

Actually there might have been.

Way back when I started cruising, on the Diamond, and the sun class ships that I went on, they had a 240v Aust type style plug behind the bed, I was able to plug in with an extension cord.

Don't ask me why you would have one there, but a steward clued me into it being there.

On 1/14/2024 at 1:08 AM, Ozwoody said:

Regards

John

I'm getting on in Sydney too! 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phoenixx said:

I'm getting on in Sydney too! 😁

Hi Phoenixx

That's great, seen your post on the Round Aust roll call.

Are you arriving Syd on the day, or arriving a day early?

Regards

John

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi Phoenixx

That's great, seen your post on the Round Aust roll call.

Are you arriving Syd on the day, or arriving a day early?

Regards

John

Hi John,

Haven't booked flights yet (coming from Auckland) but will be at least the day before (my nerves couldn't cope with flying in on the day) 😁

See you on board 🚢🥂🍹

21 minutes ago, phoenixx said:

Hi John,

Haven't booked flights yet (coming from Auckland) but will be at least the day before (my nerves couldn't cope with flying in on the day) 😁

See you on board 🚢🥂🍹

Know what you mean, that's why we're flying in the day before staying a short 10-15 Min walk from the OCT.

If your looking for accommodation, I have posted a recommendation on the roll call site, if your interested.

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 4:25 AM, Yaya_in_Oz said:

You don't have to assume anything. Look at the plug on the C-Pap machine and it will say something like Input 100V-240V which means it can be operated safely with voltage in that range, all you need is an adapter if plugging into non-Aus outlet.  I would be very surprised if the C-Pap isn't dual voltage as almost all modern portable type appliances you'd take onto a ship are.

I recommend taking the US plug. I always do as all Princess ships have them and they are lightweight and take up virtually no space. I just got off the Grand and the cabin I was in had the Aus plug behind the hairdryer about 4m from the bedhead. I wouldn't want SIL tying herself in knots to reach the Aussie plug. I was in an interior cabin. Last year, same ship in a m/s and there was an Aussie plug by the bed so it may well depend on cabin type also.

We did 28days on the Crown in March. We carry a universal plug kit. We plug in to the plug under the bed and run multi plug extension cords to each side  of the bed.

My BiPap plugs in on my side. Your Cpap machine is most likely a dual voltage machine. I've also used an extension cord and duct tape on the floor to fix the cord to the carpet. Way prefer the plug under the bed.

For your backs sake, I hope they change out the mattress's .