Celebrity or Princess to Japan

Staci0615

These are my only two choices for June 2025.  Cruised both in the past and am thinking Celebrity but has anyone experienced this in the near past. Post CoVid with all the changes?  Appreciate all thoughts.

I was faced with same decision recently and it was an easy call.  My whole point of doing a Japan cruise was to see Japan not sit on a boat.  Celebrity has a much more port intensive itinerary.  At least that’s what I found when reviewing my dates. Easy call for me. 

We are going with Azamara. Very port intensive.  April 2025 for Sakura blossom. Princess uses Diamond. It's fine but not as nice as Celebrity ships.. It was also dominated by a passenger group from a particular nation who likely won't be allowed to travel to Japan for the moment. 

Edited by Pushka

We are huge fans of Japan - three cruises so far. 
We are also huge fans of Celebrity. We have been to Japan on Millennium this year and to Thailand and Vietnam on Solstice. Both cruises were great. No complaints at all.

However, that being said, with fabulous Japan the focus was always on the destination and the ship was merely our hotel. I would suggest to choose by itinerary. you can´t go wrong with either.

Maybe this helps: 

Latest Japan cruise on Millennium:
https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2970853-celebrity-millennium-japan-10242023-liveish-report/

Japan on HAL - Cherry Blossom time 2019

https://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/HAL-Westerdam-Japan-01/hal-westerdam-japan-01.html

Japan on Millennium 2017
https://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

• Thanks 1

I am struggling with this as well.  Is there anyone here that has done this on the Diamond Princess?

I am kind of leaning this way as there are many more Japanese locals onboard and more Japanese culture.  Anyone?

Also noting that the Princess rooms are a bit less expensive.

Other ideas for Japan?

Edited by NMTraveller

6 hours ago, Staci0615 said:

These are my only two choices for June 2025.  Cruised both in the past and am thinking Celebrity but has anyone experienced this in the near past. Post CoVid with all the changes?  Appreciate all thoughts.

We had a great time on our Diamond Princess B2B in a Reserve Collection mini suite this past July cruising around Japan with a couple stops in Korea. See my Live From thread below. One thing about cruising around Japan on the Diamond, you will definitely get submersed into the culture while onboard, from being able to visit a Japanese Bath, enjoying Japanese cuisine, to having dual Japanese and English speaking cruise directors!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We had a great time on our Diamond Princess B2B in a Reserve Collection mini suite this past July cruising around Japan with a couple stops in Korea.

We're doing the same in June 2024. Easy choice compared to Celebrity.

• Like 1

We traveled with both Celebrity, on the Beyond (a transatlantic crossing) and the Princess Diamond, for seven days, to the Southern Islands of Japan and Keelung. We were there at the beginning of September, and were faced with a typhoon, which added two days at sea.

In short, compared to the Beyond, the Princess Diamond boat seemed a little old to us, while still retaining beautiful remains. The service was nothing short of excellent. The entertainment seemed two or three notches below what Celebrity offers. The quality of the MDR, on the other hand, was much higher than what we experienced on that of Celebrity. Unfortunately, their steakhouse was replaced by another concept, Brazilian grills, which spoke less to us. We also really liked the wines on Princess.

Whatever the choice, please keep in mind that our Japanese friends, the majority on the Princess Diamond, are generally much more reserved than the Europeans (we are from Belgium) and Americans. They don't know much English. However, they are definitely more respectful of others, and their enthusiasm for all dances is extraordinary!

• Like 2

Diamond vs Millenium

Food, drink            Diamond

Culture                  Diamond

Entertainment        Millenium?

Respectful guests  Diamond

Newer ship            Diamond

Am I missing anything here?

6 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Diamond vs Millenium

The most important thing. Itinerary. 

• Like 2

Thank you everybody for the guidance   So I booked with Celebrity as that went to Mt Fuji and an overnight in Osaka.   Booked in aqua class for the first time so hopefully the food will be better in blu……Japan here I come.  This will be my sons college graduation gift.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Staci0615 said:

Thank you everybody for the guidance   So I booked with Celebrity as that went to Mt Fuji and an overnight in Osaka.   Booked in aqua class for the first time so hopefully the food will be better in blu……Japan here I come.  This will be my sons college graduation gift.

We are doing the 13-day Best of Japan this May.  If all goes well, I will be doing a live review and posting a lot of pictures.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Staci0615 said:

Good choice. I booked the same for first week July 2025 for my family of 4 (two teens).  Already booked and paid for excursions for 4 too. That hurt. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Diamond vs Millenium

You are missing that Milennium might be older but she´s been beautifully refurbished.
When we were on her this year we were positively surprised. Fresh, modern... top notch!

Plus, I wonder why you might say that guest on Princess are more respectful 🤔
Unless you take for granted that there are more Japanese guests on board.

Edited by Miaminice

On 1/17/2024 at 5:39 AM, Pushka said:

We are going with Azamara. Very port intensive.  April 2025 for Sakura blossom. Princess uses Diamond. It's fine but not as nice as Celebrity ships.. It was also dominated by a passenger group from a particular nation who likely won't be allowed to travel to Japan for the moment. 

We went on Azamara Quest 15-day intensive Japan with Busan, So Korea in March 2023.  It was unbelieveable.  We timed cherry blossom season spot on and it was incredible.  We like small ships and everything was excellent.  It is a very busy itinerary - leave Tokyo and a sea day, then 14 ports back to back to back…until return to Tokyo.

Since I was only going once, I wanted to go around the entire island.  I was completely satisfied.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Gardenbunny50 said:

We went on Azamara Quest 15-day intensive Japan with Busan, So Korea in March 2023.  It was unbelieveable.  We timed cherry blossom season spot on and it was incredible.  We like small ships and everything was excellent.  It is a very busy itinerary - leave Tokyo and a sea day, then 14 ports back to back to back…until return to Tokyo.

Since I was only going once, I wanted to go around the entire island.  I was completely satisfied.

Thankyou. This thread had me second guessing.  Ours is one way, Tokyo to Osaka. In 2025 so a while to wait. For April 6 from memory. 

In 2018 we did a Bering Sea transpacific to Japan followed by a cruise around Japan.

Covid interfered with a scheduled cruise in 2021 but we are returning in March for a B2B on Celebrity.  Only three repeat ports on that B2B and a number which we did not visit in 2018.  Since we spent five days in Tokyo in 2018 after leaving the ship (had a private guide for two of those days) this time we will spend several days in Yokohama before boarding the Millennium.

3 hours ago, Gardenbunny50 said:

Island? Japan is made up of many islands. 

If you really want to get the full picture, consider a longer cruise or land trip. 

For example, Holland America offers a 28-day trip around the five main islands of Japan during cherry blossom season (moving from south to north, following the path of the blooms). I did this in March/April 2023 and it was a nice complement to my previous land trips where I mainly explored Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, and the areas around them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1