Iphone use with internet package

2 minutes ago, BALCONETTE said:

I just found out that you can text iphone to iphone without cellular if you have wifi.  Is that the same while onboard if you have the internet package?  With no fees from provider?

Correct, imessages work on the ship.  I stay in airplane mode with wifi on.  Never had any additional charges from Verizon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BALCONETTE said:

I just found out that you can text iphone to iphone without cellular if you have wifi.  Is that the same while onboard if you have the internet package?  With no fees from provider?

You can also Facetime. 

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Wait nevermind, iMessage works over plain wifi, no need to enable wifi calling for that (though you should still do that if you're going to pony up for an internet package.

I think, but am not positive, that you need wifi calling enabled to text with non-iphone user via regular SMS.  

12 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I think, but am not positive, that you need wifi calling enabled to text with non-iphone user via regular SMS.  

I think that you are correct, if wifi calling is not enabled and the phone is in airplane mode then no SMS would be possible even if connected to WiFi.   iMessages would still be possible and other Internet messaging services when connected to WiFi.    SMS requires a celluar connection.  

Since all the major carriers have WiFi calling, it's just toggling a switch, but I wonder how many folks using MVNOs might not have access to WiFi calling.   Maybe it's a phone issue too, I wonder if there are some phones that don't have the feature.   Or is WiFi calling ubiquitous at this point?  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I think that may be correct, but if not it never hurts to always have wifi calling enabled

• Like 1

I thought I read on some other threads that they fixed the free wifi so that you can't use iMessage with it anymore. You need a real internet package to be able to use iMessage. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TravisP said:

I thought I read on some other threads that they fixed the free wifi so that you can't use iMessage with it anymore. 

Correct, though you may still get notifications of inbound messages without a Voom package. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Correct, though you may still get notifications of inbound messages without a Voom package. 

That is what I thought. All my crew has voom, so we will be fine. 

3 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

I think that you are correct, if wifi calling is not enabled and the phone is in airplane mode then no SMS would be possible even if connected to WiFi.   iMessages would still be possible and other Internet messaging services when connected to WiFi.    SMS requires a celluar connection.  

Since all the major carriers have WiFi calling, it's just toggling a switch, but I wonder how many folks using MVNOs might not have access to WiFi calling.   Maybe it's a phone issue too, I wonder if there are some phones that don't have the feature.   Or is WiFi calling ubiquitous at this point?  

I posted a question concerning this issue recently. I have an IPhone and have never been able to text people without IPhones when cruising on RCI (and Celebrity too). Several people suggested turning on WiFi calling, which I plan to do on my next cruise in a few weeks on Icon. Hopefully it will work since I have lots of friends with android phones. 

You cannot 'text, (messages Android)' without Voom.  Wifi calling must be on, and even then there are no guarantees you will receive an inbound text message or phone call.  

In fact, there are some countries that do not allow Wifi calling.

38 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I posted a question concerning this issue recently. I have an IPhone and have never been able to text people without IPhones when cruising on RCI (and Celebrity too). Several people suggested turning on WiFi calling, which I plan to do on my next cruise in a few weeks on Icon. Hopefully it will work since I have lots of friends with android phones. 

I have Android, husband has iPhone.  We text all the time on cruises.  WiFi on, WiFi calling on, airplane mode on.  Also text frequently back and forth with folks at home.  It's always nice to be able to brag 😜

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, luvbrady said:

I have Android, husband has iPhone.  We text all the time on cruises.  WiFi on, WiFi calling on, airplane mode on.  Also text frequently back and forth with folks at home.  It's always nice to be able to brag 😜

I am pretty sure it is user error on my end, but even the WiFi help desk employees on several ships have never gotten it to work for me. I never worried about it too much in the past because everyone I needed to keep in touch with had IPhones, but that is no longer the case. 

So I would be able to text with someone back home, not just on the ship (strictly iphone to iphone)?  Is there an extra charge from the provider for using wifi calling?  Sorry, I'm still pretty new to smartphones.

1 minute ago, BALCONETTE said:

So I would be able to text with someone back home, not just on the ship (strictly iphone to iphone)?  Is there an extra charge from the provider for using wifi calling?  Sorry, I'm still pretty new to smartphones.

You need to put your phone in Airplane mode, sign on to the Voom internet, and turn on Wifi calling.   There is no charge from your cellphone provider, just RCI to pay for Internet access.

4 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I think that may be correct, but if not it never hurts to always have wifi calling enabled

Yeah I have it enabled all the time, it doesn't hurt anything and if your cellular goes down while you are at home or otherwise hooked up to wifi calls and texts will still come in.

I always encourage folks to set it up at home and test it.  Put your phone in airplane mode and make and receive a call.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BALCONETTE said:

No charge from your provider. As I said in my previous post set it up and test it prior to getting on the ship so there are no issues once on board. 🙂 

I would go ahead and set up your phone for wifi calling now just to make sure there are no issues. Then just leave it enabled. It actually comes in handy at times when you have a weak or no cell signal but a good wifi signal. Like a lot of times in stores you can get little to no cell service. More so when it is a metal building. But if they have wifi available in the store as most stores do these days, you still will have cell service. This really comes in handy at our local Lowes. I have no at&t signal in that place so I just make sure I am connected to their wifi and then everything works just fine. 

• Like 1

For me iMessage (Iphone application) does not work without paying for WiFi on ships.

Never worked.

Edited by Tatka

22 minutes ago, TravisP said:

I would go ahead and set up your phone for wifi calling now just to make sure there are no issues. Then just leave it enabled. It actually comes in handy at times when you have a weak or no cell signal but a good wifi signal. Like a lot of times in stores you can get little to no cell service. More so when it is a metal building. But if they have wifi available in the store as most stores do these days, you still will have cell service. This really comes in handy at our local Lowes. I have no at&t signal in that place so I just make sure I am connected to their wifi and then everything works just fine. 

^^^This is really great advice.   No reason to wait until you’re on a cruise ship to figure out what works in each person’s individual setup.   I put my phone on airplane mode, connected to my home WiFi, and see what would work as far as SMS.  

I also just read online that some calls may be charged by the carrier (e.g. such as calling Internationally, even on WiFi Calling).   So, if I was the OP or others asking about what is possible, I think it’s important to remember that there are a lot of different cellular plans, carriers, and phones.  YMMV depending on those factors. 

https://www.signalboosters.com/blog/international-wifi-calling-is-it-free/

• Like 1

I text my daughters and grandkids all the time when I’m on cruise and they are home. All IPhones or IPads. I always have a ship Wi-Fi package, but I have never manually turned on Wi-Fi calling. Maybe it’s automatic and I never noticed. I will check next time.

9 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I text my daughters and grandkids all the time when I’m on cruise and they are home. All IPhones or IPads. I always have a ship Wi-Fi package, but I have never manually turned on Wi-Fi calling. Maybe it’s automatic and I never noticed. I will check next time.

I don't believe it is automatic... If you are just text to iPhones and iPads you don't need to worry about it but if you want any texting to androids or to make any calls you will need it.