Sold out cruise - would this work?

New to Princess and looking at taking my family on a cruise this summer but the one we like the look of is showing as sold out for 4 in a room.

There are suites and inside rooms available for 2 - could I book one of each and then us all sleep in the suite? I understand they have a sofa bed? Would that be allowed / would they make up the sofa if we asked?

Part of the problem could be the muster station is full. That is why they won't allow 4 people in the suite, even if 4 people could fit in it. You can check the Princess deck plan to see if 4 people can be accomodated in that cabin number. 

I have no idea if they would let all 4 people in the cabin once on board, but I would assume they would not officially say they would make the room up for 4 if you can't book it. 

We have booked two cabins in the past, a balcony and inside room across from each other, or two to four balconies side by side, and gotten access to all the cabins at Guest Services. However, Suites have benefits that other cabins do not. If everyone is not in the Suite, there are some benefits all 4 will not be able to enjoy. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, NickyLovesDisney said:

There are suites and inside rooms available for 2 - could I book one of each and then us all sleep in the suite? I understand they have a sofa bed?

The sofa bed in the penthouse suites are small - really for one person only. Most of them can fit 3 people but not 4 unless you book the Sky suite - which has two bedrooms, or the Grand Suites which can sleep 4 and have a larger sleeper sofa. 

IMG_3776.thumb.jpeg.f8a862bf8b8fa7194c8a32a33d13d6b1.jpeg

IMG_3777.thumb.jpeg.773f8ea4486867df1678a893cb8cee05.jpeg

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 3

Not sure what ship you are on but have you looked into booking the Family Suite? It can't be booked online - you have to contact Princess or have your TA do it.

• Like 2

You might ask a T.A. if they can arrange for a roll away bed in a full suite. If you book two in a full suite and two in an inside cabin then the two booked in the inside cabin would not be able to dine in the reserve class dining room nor would they be able to have the special breakfast for full suites only and they would also not be able to have some other full suite benefits.

If your family has two children both under the age of 16 then you would have to book one parent and one child in each cabin. Here is the relevant text from the passage contract.

"For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for at least one person in each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian."

If your children are really young you might be able to book a mini suite for the 4 of you. Mini suites for 4 have an upper berth over the convertible sofa. The sofa is probably large enough on its own for two small children.

This is where a good travel agent may be able to assist you.

Edited by skynight

Thanks everyone. I literally just want a room that sleeps all of us - not bothered about suite perks, just know there’s enough room for 4 of us in one. But if there’s a possibility that we won’t be allowed to set it up that way then it won’t work booking an extra “throwaway” room to get us all on 😢.

I would try the family suite route as Thrak suggested. You have to call for that, you cannot book online, but if it's available, it's a good way to have everyone in the same space. 

You can also get on wait lists for every category you are willing to take, and if you want 4 to a room, you can wait list that way. You still have to put a deposit down, but it is refundable if you don't get it. You can also ask where you are on the wait list. You can do that through Princess (calling) or your PVP at Princess or a TA, but when I do wait lists I want to have more control over things and that's doing it directly through Princess (for me). I've heard of amazing TAs that do it for you, but I just don't like the middle man in desperate times. lol

Also, if you do get on a waitlist, check multiple times a day because most times they don't call you, you have to be the one to do all the work. 

I would suggest that you explore all options, as this can be 'iffy' on a cruise with so many families and children.

Is this a mini-suite or a full-suite?

It could be 'capacity' issues.  As mentioned..  muster capacity, etc...

And, I have heard of limits on the numbers of kids..   Perhaps they want to. make sure that the kids clubs can accommodate all kids, within capacities.

IF...  IF...   the system will allow you to book that mini suite for one child and one adult, and let you book that inside, for one child and one adult,  then you are in.   

I don't see how they can police where everyone sleeps.

Hopefully your Steward is not one to be keeping an eye and decide to report any 'technical' breaches of policy.

How close could you get the inside to the mini-suite.

You might find it to be helpful convenience, for the occasional extra space and bathroom???

If this family is looking at a full suite..  not mini... It might also be helpful for this poster if somebody who is fully knowledgable in the Suite Perks could go over them...  So, they could see how this might affect them on their cruise.

I know that two

1. earlier priority boarding.

2. The special breakfast offered.

and there is a minibar setup in the room, right...

traveling as a family, these perks might not be something that they would really miss.

But, also hate to pay for a suite 

6 hours ago, NickyLovesDisney said:

Thanks everyone. I literally just want a room that sleeps all of us - not bothered about suite perks, just know there’s enough room for 4 of us in one. But if there’s a possibility that we won’t be allowed to set it up that way then it won’t work booking an extra “throwaway” room to get us all on 😢.

Have you looked into connecting cabins (with an internal door between two cabins that can be left open if desired)?

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, NickyLovesDisney said:

New to Princess and looking at taking my family on a cruise this summer but the one we like the look of is showing as sold out for 4 in a room.

There are suites and inside rooms available for 2 - could I book one of each and then us all sleep in the suite? I understand they have a sofa bed? Would that be allowed / would they make up the sofa if we asked?

What actual sailing are you looking at?

People may be able to offer better suggestions with knowing what sailing you're looking at...

Also, as it's this coming summer, final payment isn't here yet, which means there will be a fair amount of people who opt not to sail - and the larger travel agencies that have blocks of rooms reserved will release them.   So, if you're in a wait-list for a 4 person cabin - you would get in....

Have you asked your TA or tried to book a suite for 4 people to see what happens.  You should get an answer really quickly.  Now the question as to whether it is practical is up to you.

DON

Glad OP got what they wanted.

For future readers of this thread: yes, in a full suite, the cabin steward would make up the sofa bed into a sleeper if you wanted to, why would they say no?  Maybe you and spouse had a fight and he/she got kicked into the other sleeping arrangement.  None of their business.

• Like 1