New Ships are coming

On 1/20/2024 at 6:14 PM, BlerkOne said:

Royal would no doubt like to do cruises to nowhere exclusively, but they can't legally do that these days. People get tired of going to the same plastic experience over and over. Unless maybe you have dementia.

Personally I like Freeport as a stop. You just need to get outside of the port to discover a new world. Lat time had a great private excursion to the other end of the island, even passing where Carnival was building the new port. At least I got to experience that paradise before it is swamped by mega ships

I'm sure most cruise lines would do a cruise to no where if they were allowed. I'm sure there would be a market for it, and options are a great thing. Although I would say it's a bold insinuation that "people get bored over the same plastic experience over and over" yet not making the same claim about cruises to no where. Not everyone has the same interest.

Personally, I would not select a cruise to no where in most cases. One of the joys of cruising is the variety. 7 days in the same quarters gets old real quick on any vacation. The 3.5 sea days I usually get on cruise of those lengths are plenty. How people find negative and inconvenience in ports that include beaches, pools, and other activities, is beyond me. Sitting in the crystal clear waters of say Half Moon Cay, is a beautiful experience, even if I did it 5-10 other times in life. Some people just want to find ways to justify their $1000 drink package. Even if you want to stay on board, you still have that option.

There is nothing wrong with liking Freeport. I had a great time when we were there. I just didn't care much for the port itself. It basically forces you to venture out to find something (like Montego Bay too). I'd much prefer having amenities there and the option of venturing out. Sometimes you just want a lazy day. Some of my favorite port experiences have actually being venturing out, then joining the party at the port before getting back on the ship. Options and variety always win!

Edited by Joebucks

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Many people cruise and never leave the ship in port. They might as well be on a CTN. Might as well just go to an all inclusive.

I agree with this to an extent but, we were just on an itinerary we've done a ton of times and elected to not get off the ship. It was basically an all inclusive (outside of CHEERS! and specialty dining) on a boat. Had balconies at all inclusives and while normally larger, it just doesn't hit the same as a balcony on a cruise to me.

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Butt  ugly

Not on the inside champ. And entertainment/food/staff is much better. No problem with CCL, came off one a couple of weeks ago. Dont put blinders on though. 

The way some of yall want to try to police how people vacation smh.

Some people don't want to get off the ship, but still want the sailing experience of a cruise? Let them.

Maybe try keeping to your own business and allow others to enjoy themselves however they choose to spend their vacation (cruising or all-inclusive).

If it isn't hurting anyone physically, then it's their business and theirs alone. Not yours.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Not on the inside champ. And entertainment/food/staff is much better. No problem with CCL, came off one a couple of weeks ago. Dont put blinders on though. 

If I ever on the inside, then I will opine on that.  From the outside, my post stands.  For a ship that cost that much it is….BUTT UGLY

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Butt  ugly

tough to see the outside of the ship when you’re on it having fun and eating all the bacon you can stand every day 🥓

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

If I ever on the inside, then I will opine on that.  From the outside, my post stands.  For a ship that cost that much it is….BUTT UGLY

Maybe give it a try. Not telling anyone what they should or shouldn't like, but if you don't partake in other experiences, tough to give much credence to your opinions. We cruise whoever, whenever, and have cruised 4 lines in the past 10 months. I'd rather have a good overview of pros and cons than only providing snippy comments on ships I've never actually sailed on...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elcuchio24 said:

I see lots of reports that RCL food is inferior. And in my experience, nothing wrong with Carnival staff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

Maybe give it a try. Not telling anyone what they should or shouldn't like, but if you don't partake in other experiences, tough to give much credence to your opinions. We cruise whoever, whenever, and have cruised 4 lines in the past 10 months. I'd rather have a good overview of pros and cons than only providing snippy comments on ships I've never actually sailed on...

I was making a comment on the ship.  Since the VAST majority of cruisers have NOT been on it, we can only go by what we see.  I cruise many lines as well.  Currently on Celebrity Eclipse close to Antartica.  Does that make my view of what I think of Icon more or less?  Not in my estimation.  I tried the Oasis when she was new and posted a review both here and on the RCCL site.  I was not in awe.  There is a reason we have not been back on RCCL.  Food is subjective.  Entertainment is as well.  On Oasis we got to see a 2nd rate road version of a broadway play….wow.  You do not have to agree with my views.  Lastly, I was not being snippy.  The Icon is a monstrosity, the external views are not pretty.  Much more in line with Epic in my perspective. The front of the ship is ugly, and so is the back.  RCCL seems to go to extremes to set the tone in every new build.  If it works for you, good.  Not for me….  One last comment. Icon is butt ugly.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Haha 3

Some of you think it’s just go big or go home. 
There will always be demand for smaller ships for certain destinations. There is also demand for mega ships. It doesn’t need to be all or nothing. And no one says you have to be loyal to a brand if you want to try something different. 
After 10 Carnival cruises I’ve tried NCL, Celebrity and Virgin. They’ve each had their pros and cons. Now I’m booked on my first Med cruise on Legend in September because of price and ports. I’ve sailed on her 20 years ago. I’m looking forward to being back on a smaller ship. 
The only way I’d sail on a 200k ton ship is if I sailed with my grandchild. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Some of you think it’s just go big or go home. 
There will always be demand for smaller ships for certain destinations. There is also demand for mega ships. It doesn’t need to be all or nothing. And no one says you have to be loyal to a brand if you want to try something different. 
After 10 Carnival cruises I’ve tried NCL, Celebrity and Virgin. They’ve each had their pros and cons. Now I’m booked on my first Med cruise on Legend in September because of price and ports. I’ve sailed on her 20 years ago. I’m looking forward to being back on a smaller ship. 
The only way I’d sail on a 200k ton ship is if I sailed with my grandchild. 

As I have said many times, options are a good thing.  If some want to pay the outrageous prices that ship is demanding, good for them.  This size ship has many drawbacks, limited ports of calls, no tender ports and it goes on and on.  

11 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I was making a comment on the ship.  Since the VAST majority of cruisers have NOT been on it, we can only go by what we see.  I cruise many lines as well.  Currently on Celebrity Eclipse close to Antartica.  Does that make my view of what I think of Icon more or less?  Not in my estimation.  I tried the Oasis when she was new and posted a review both here and on the RCCL site.  I was not in awe.  There is a reason we have not been back on RCCL.  Food is subjective.  Entertainment is as well.  On Oasis we got to see a 2nd rate road version of a broadway play….wow.  You do not have to agree with my views.  Lastly, I was not being snippy.  The Icon is a monstrosity, the external views are not pretty.  Much more in line with Epic in my perspective. The front of the ship is ugly, and so is the back.  RCCL seems to go to extremes to set the tone in every new build.  If it works for you, good.  Not for me….  One last comment. Icon is butt ugly.

Can't imagine any possible situation where me going or not going on a ship would be determined by the outer appearance of said ship. Still prettier that NCL Epic!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I see lots of reports that RCL food is inferior. And in my experience, nothing wrong with Carnival staff.

In our experience the food has been much better. We've had great staff on CCL. Still give RCL the edge there though. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

In our experience the food has been much better. We've had great staff on CCL. Still give RCL the edge there though. 

I haven't been on Royal since Covid, but prior to covid, I wouldn't rank the food as much better. At least we can speak from experience. For perks/bribes, it is Royal for the win.

On 1/19/2024 at 10:24 AM, Despegue said:

I think that Meyer potentially wants indeed more Excellence-class orders ( sorry, Helios class is a subclass of the Excellence class and is used to identify  the Aida vessels), maybe with some minor changes or slight increase in tonnage.

the Fincantieri design shobe completely new.

sounds like the design was a upscaled version of the Sun Princess.

17 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

Can't imagine any possible situation where me going or not going on a ship would be determined by the outer appearance of said ship. Still prettier that NCL Epic!

I never said I would never go on her.  I said I have no desire to.  That has little to do with the outward appearance but WAY more to do with the down side of the experience we had had on Oasis.  Just did not WOW me. Your experience may differ.  All of this discussion is fluff.  My original post was that that RCCL in their constant driven desire to be THE biggest, THE most over the top, THE largest feature driven wow, wow wow has driven them to make something that is…. Butt ugly.  While there ships used to be technical stylish marvels, IMHO they are NOT now.  

Edited by jimbo5544

On 1/23/2024 at 6:53 PM, mz-s said:

tough to see the outside of the ship when you’re on it having fun and eating all the bacon you can stand every day 🥓

Until you drop dead? Carnival's XL ships are too big for me, much less Monstrosity of the Sea. No amount of bacon can bribe me for that.

Exactly. Beauty and how "nice" or "ugly" a ship is, is subjective. And we don't need to hear you regurgitate it over and over and over again.

We get it!

You hate Icon of the Seas, don't like it, find it ugly. We got it the first 100 times you said it. You don't have to keep throwing it everyone's face though. Enough already.

I for one find Icon very nice on the eyes, it's so unique and different looking. It's kind of refreshing when so many ships just look the same over and over again. Icon of the Seas looks very different and futuristic tbh.

At least RCCL is changing it up and stepping outside the box a little. Of course not everyone is going to like that, and that's okay. Not everyone has to. I still like Carnival and their ships as well. I can appreciate ships in all their forms.

Edited by bg2310

If I had as much of my money and personality tied up in $CCL as some on here, I'd tell myself that every other ship is ugly too. Stockholm Syndrome I believe it's called.

3 hours ago, john91498 said:

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder...

I think some vehicles are butt ugly, but a Bugatti is around 3 million per example...

For a billion or so dollars, I would expect something that isn't monkey butt ugly.