Internet - One Plan, Two devices

I understand that if we have one internet plan with two devices, and my wife uses one, I the other and we logoff from one device before connecting to another,  there should be no conflict...unless one of us forgets to logoff..

In the likely chance that my wife and I are both using our laptops and I decide to wander around the ship and leave forgetting to log off my laptop....and I try to logon from my phone...I'll get a message something like "you have used up all my devices....would I like to disconnect one" (at least that's the way they have done it on other ships).  Do I get to choose which one to log off or does the system just pick one?  If I do get to choose, how does the system identify the connected devices so I can disconnect the right one?

1 minute ago, ghstudio said:

I understand that if we have one internet plan with two devices, and my wife uses one, I the other and we logoff from one device before connecting to another,  there should be no conflict...unless one of us forgets to logoff..

In the likely chance that my wife and I are both using our laptops and I decide to wander around the ship and leave forgetting to log off my laptop....and I try to logon from my phone...I'll get a message something like "you have used up all my devices....would I like to disconnect one" (at least that's the way they have done it on other ships).  Do I get to choose which one to log off or does the system just pick one?  If I do get to choose, how does the system identify the connected devices so I can disconnect the right one?

You shouldn't have an issue as you will have separate logins for separate accounts.  If that makes sense.  

Just now, jean87510 said:

You shouldn't have an issue as you will have separate logins for separate accounts.  If that makes sense.  

NO.....that's if we buy two plans.  I am asking about one plan with 2 devices.  They are different (and 1 plan is less expensive).

Just now, ghstudio said:

NO.....that's if we buy two plans.  I am asking about one plan with 2 devices.  They are different (and 1 plan is less expensive).

Ok sorry I misunderstood.  That scenario did happen with us before and the system just picked which device to disconnect.  After a few times we just got into the habit of logging off one then logging on another.  I believe he was connected for work on his laptop and also his phone at one point which was annoying. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

No it will not let you choose which device you bump... You will bump the device that has been connected the longest.

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

If you're logging off one and onto another, you just need one plan for one device.

One plan for 2 devices means 2 can be logged in at once.

I think the scenario he is talking about is a plan with 1 person and 2 devices where 2 people are connected to the network with laptops.  Then one leaves and forgets to logoff the laptop but wants to connect the phone.  The new connection would bump the oldest connection, in my experience.  

Edited by Tree_skier

6 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I think the scenario he is talking about is a plan with 1 person and 2 devices where 2 people are connected to the network with laptops.  Then one leaves and forgets to logoff the laptop but wants to connect the phone.  The new connection would bump the oldest connection, in my experience.  

It's why nowadays a good router may be helpful to some.  

• Like 1

You don't always get the warning about bumping another device off. If you don't get the warning it will still bump another device off if two are already logged in.  People say it is the device that has been on the longest that gets bumped, but who knows if that is true or is anecdotal.

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

No it will not let you choose which device you bump... You will bump the device that has been connected the longest.

4 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

This is also my understanding of how it works.

While I would assume this also, and feel it would make the most sense, I am pretty sure that in past discussions, the conclusion was that this might not always be the case. 

3 hours ago, RobInMN said:

While I would assume this also, and feel it would make the most sense, I am pretty sure that in past discussions, the conclusion was that this might not always be the case. 

All I can give is my experience and that’s the way it has always been. I’m absent minded and forget often. Then I have to walk back and tell DW logon and punt me my extra device off. 

Just now, hapster85 said:

I'm only seeing one single device option in the planner. Can you call and ask for a 2 device plan, or do you have to wait until you are on board? 

That is likely a temporary issue - the things available in the planner varies. Ensure you go into the internet tab and not just look at the overall planner page.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

That is likely a temporary issue - the things available in the planner varies. Ensure you go into the internet tab and not just look at the overall planner page.

Yeah, that's where I was looking. Cruise isn't until October, so planner probably isn't fully fleshed out.

22 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

I'm only seeing one single device option in the planner. Can you call and ask for a 2 device plan, or do you have to wait until you are on board? 

Did you click the "Reserve" button, and then select 1 Guest? At that point a "Select number of devices" should appear below the Guests section with options 1 through 4.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, soremekun said:

When I cruise solo, I buy a one device plan.  When I want to connect to the internet on my laptop, I turn on USB tethering on my phone.  Works great.

Does this work on all ships?  We're on the Odyssey in April and I'm debating wether to purchase another line for my laptop.    I'm probably going to have to do work rather regularly, so it would be helpful to be able to have my phone to text and receive WiFi calls while using my computer.  

I was thinking that RCI would block routers and tethering....

1 minute ago, soremekun said:

It has worked on several ships for me.  I would test it at home first.  For some reason, it did not work with a particular USB cable.  Also, I have an Android phone.

Thanks!  This is great to hear.   I was just thinking at RCI would try to block this type of stuff.   Thanks again. 

On 1/19/2024 at 12:19 PM, RobInMN said:

Did you click the "Reserve" button, and then select 1 Guest? At that point a "Select number of devices" should appear below the Guests section with options 1 through 4.

No, I had not. I previously remembered them being listed separately, but haven't sailed Royal Caribbean since 2019. Thx for the info. 👍