Will it be THAT Crowded?

Currently looking at dates for Harmony of the seas. This will be the biggest ship we have traveled on. Past family cruises have been on Liberty in October and one Christmas cruise. How bad is it for crowds in the first couple of weeks in June? Is Memorial day departure worse (probably not possible due to work but still looking)? If the crowds are too bad at these times, is Harmony less crowded feeling in late September or October? We will be traveling with 2 teens, so Adventure Ocean is not a concern but I know they are planning to hit all of the slides, pools, and available food.

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

From what I'm seeing, ships are pretty much sailing full all year round.  But I assume there will be more people/kids filling 3rd/4th berths during holidays and summer.

That is my big concern. I don't want to feel like we are elbow to elbow with other people. We travel in 2 rooms, because everyone that says a 2nd bathroom is the best is right. Plus it is my vacation 2 and being separated from the teens is good for all of us. I do expect crowds when waiting for shows and getting on and off at ports and seats at the pool on sea days. Our last Liberty sailing was full but it was in October.

We always sail in early June (wife is a teacher) and mostly on Oasis class. There are crowds and plenty of kids but Oasis class ships handle them very well, IMO. The pool deck (which we avoid) is a bit nuts and the WJ is crowded at peak hours but other than that it doesn't bother us.

We're easy going, used to it, and don't tend to spend a ton of time where kids do though so I'm sure it may bother others.

• Like 3

We just got off Harmony yesterday (Jan. 21) and it was very crowded. I expect the end of May and June will be even more so and probably tons more little kids. This was our first time on this big of a ship (Liberty and Adventure were the biggest previously, but Radiance class is our favorite). We won't go back on an Oasis class. Just too many people everywhere. Regardless of when you go, make reservations in the app for any shows you want to see, especially the Fine Line aqua show (highly recommend this one) and Grease (lots of fun). We also saw 1887 which is the ice show; the costumes were great but the storyline of the show was fairly contrived. We also saw Columbus, which is the shorter musical show. It's kind of silly and goofy but it's worth seeing because of the AMAZING ship they use as a set. It's a cool piece of engineering. 

• Like 1

Perhaps many posters use their balconies more often than not, I don't know. I do not use my cabin at all except to sleep, so I am walking around the ship at all times from morning to night......

I sailed Symphony last Jan, Harmony last Apr, Oasis in Nov.... all 3 crowded almost everywhere.

I sailed Independence b2b 11 nights in Nov, then immediately onto Oasis.. Windjammer on Oasis was a joke regarding crowds, El Loco fresh had a 15-20 minute line that extended to the sports court, sports deck awful lines, slides and Flowrider 1/2 hour wait, every single hot tub had over 20 people in it at all times of the day including many hot tubs overrun with children swimming in the hot tubs with flotation aids and toys. We had a poor weather day.... Solarium was empty because of the winds, and the upper pool deck bare as well... try an Oasis Class ship with bad weather and see how the interior spaces are (ie. bars, Promenade, gym equipment, etc) with 6000 passengers all inside. Likewise the next day was great weather so all 6000 people wanted to get outside... pool deck was a disaster.

Best non crowded spots were the Boardwalk... hardly anyone ever goes there unless there's an aqua show or a scheduled event. Has become a colossal waste of prime real estate, which is likely why Icon has changed so much in that area in order to get better use. Also Central Park surprisingly was not overly crowded throughout the day, that was often my go-to (Trellis Bar, Jazz in the Park, etc)

Independence was way better for crowding. 

Just my 2 cents

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

I've only been on Oasis class (Oasis) once.  It was early in the restart (Oct 2021), and the ship was ~60% full.  My next Oasis class sailing is a TA in April, which will most likely be close to full.  It will be interesting to see how the ship flows.

• Like 1

Just now, Another_Critic said:

My next Oasis class sailing is a TA in April, which will most likely be close to full.  It will be interesting to see how the ship flows.

I'm guessing you might not not have a good comparison as you won't have 1500-2000 children on board like 7 day Caribbean sailings all jammed in triple and quad occupancy cabins

2 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

I'm guessing you might not not have a good comparison as you won't have 1500-2000 children on board like 7 day Caribbean sailings all jammed in triple and quad occupancy cabins

IIRC, there weren't many kids on board my Oct early restart sailing.

I guess the big question is how it compares to Freedom class with a full holiday sailing (lots of kids)? I already vetoed anything other than aft if we go with the deck 14. No way I want to be near Adventure Ocean. Kids are teens now and probably will be off doing their own thing together. They know to stay paired up for safety. As for the adults, I just want to forget work exists and relax, read, eat, and have some family time. Definitely looking forward to the shows. Thankfully our schedules are slightly more flexible since the kids attend an online school and college courses.

2 minutes ago, scubaslayer said:

I guess the big question is how it compares to Freedom class with a full holiday sailing (lots of kids)? I already vetoed anything other than aft if we go with the deck 14. No way I want to be near Adventure Ocean. Kids are teens now and probably will be off doing their own thing together. They know to stay paired up for safety. As for the adults, I just want to forget work exists and relax, read, eat, and have some family time. Definitely looking forward to the shows. Thankfully our schedules are slightly more flexible since the kids attend an online school and college courses.

I’ve had 5 teens, they loved going to the teen club that first night and meeting others to hang out with for the week (very social), had them all in under 7 years and they are very close, but each always managed to find their own crowd. On our last cruise the oldest were 19 and 20, they had to work hard getting a group together.

• Like 2

We were on a sold-out NYE cruise, both teens had no issues with doing everything they wanted to do (slides, zip-line, etc). Was there sometimes a wait? Sure, but nothing so painful they opted out of. I also agree that Oasis-size ships feel LESS crowded than Voyager/Freedom class, there's just way more space for people to spread out. You'll love Harmony, she's quickly becoming one of my favorites! 

Edited by GetToLivin
  • Like 2

Not commenting on crowds but on possible Memorial Day sailing. I didn't realize I booked a cruise that departs President's Day weekend - I found airfares are insane compared to prior weeks. If you are flying keep in mind flights on holiday weekends can be more expensive. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You state you have been on Liberty of the Seas. 
With the exception of shows letting out, and boarding day congestion; I find Oasis class ships feel less crowded than Freedom class. The ships neighborhood concept spreads people out very very well. 

I would have agreed with this until our cruise last week on Harmony. It felt crowded to me, partly because the weather out of Galveston made folks want to be inside at the start and end of the cruise. And seemed like lots of kids on what would normally be considered an off week, with kids back on school after the holiday break. I told my DH, I guess I’ll have to stop saying the Oasis class ships don’t feel crowded!

This was our same sailing and we also think it will be hard to get us back on the huge RC ships:

3 hours ago, Kellie in Texas said:

We just got off Harmony yesterday (Jan. 21) and it was very crowded. I expect the end of May and June will be even more so and probably tons more little kids. This was our first time on this big of a ship (Liberty and Adventure were the biggest previously, but Radiance class is our favorite). We won't go back on an Oasis class. Just too many people everywhere.

• Like 1

Yes, it will probably be full, but we were on Wonder in October and never felt it was crowded.  But we hit fall break, so there were a lot of kids on the ship, more than we are used to.  Overall, a great ship and Royal knows how to build it to make it not feel super crowded.  windjammer at certain times was crowded, but that is normal.  Just don't worry about it and go have fun, always places to go if you want peach and quiet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Things are changing. Eastbound TA'S on Oasis Class ships are sailing with loads of kids. Westbound sailings are pretty much kid free.  We have done 1 east bound and 2 westbound on Oasis Class, far fewer cruisers on westbound and much better weather coming back in Oct as the seas are still warm. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scubaslayer said:

Currently looking at dates for Harmony of the seas. This will be the biggest ship we have traveled on. Past family cruises have been on Liberty in October and one Christmas cruise. How bad is it for crowds in the first couple of weeks in June? Is Memorial day departure worse (probably not possible due to work but still looking)? If the crowds are too bad at these times, is Harmony less crowded feeling in late September or October? We will be traveling with 2 teens, so Adventure Ocean is not a concern but I know they are planning to hit all of the slides, pools, and available food.

We have done 6 sailings on Oasis Class, have always found them to feel  much less crowded than the smaller ships. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShipsandDipper said:

I would have agreed with this until our cruise last week on Harmony. It felt crowded to me, partly because the weather out of Galveston made folks want to be inside at the start and end of the cruise. And seemed like lots of kids on what would normally be considered an off week, with kids back on school after the holiday break. I told my DH, I guess I’ll have to stop saying the Oasis class ships don’t feel crowded!

This was our same sailing and we also think it will be hard to get us back on the huge RC ships:

No doubt, inclement weather will make ANY ship feel more crowded inside than when the weather is nice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Things are changing. Eastbound TA'S on Oasis Class ships are sailing with loads of kids. Westbound sailings are pretty much kid free.  We have done 1 east bound and 2 westbound on Oasis Class, far fewer cruisers on westbound and much better weather coming back in Oct as the seas are still warm. 

Do you have any idea why the eastbounds are more popular?

47 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No doubt, inclement weather will make ANY ship feel more crowded inside than when the weather is nice.

I was about to say the same, "isn't that ANY ship?" On our last day on Harmony, we were sailing North into a nice, stiff wind and cold front. The pool deck was a ghost town, the bars/lounges/promenade on the other hand... 😆 Those are the days you nestle in and enjoy your last day of adult beverages 🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last day coming back to Galveston on Liberty was lousy weather every time. We spent a lot of time in the state room, on the promenade and enjoyed lunch in the main dining room. I expect this might not be an issue in June but fall and winter are definitely windy in the gulf.

• Like 1

Was on Allure this past weekend, and Freedom last month. Same weekend itinerary out of different Florida ports. Freedom felt more crowded  particularly in solarium, people waiting for loungers.  

As mentioned previously in this thread there is more areas of the ship that breaks up the crowd. Everytime I was in Central Park it felt almost empty.  Only when there was shows like Mamma Mia emptying out did it feel packed. 

Both cruises were in cool weather situations where pools were empty majority of time and pool decks completely empty in the cold nights. 

• Like 2