Bizarre Champagne Question

We are not big drinkers, but want to have some champagne on our cruise. We like Moet and Chandon or even Jean Pierre.  We thought about bringing our own, but we do not trust the airline not to steal it from our bag. (has happened before) 

Have any of you ordered a glass of either of those brans and can tell me roughly what you paid for a glass?

Sorry, not a direct answer to your question but, if you are sailing out of the US have you considered just buying a bottle (or 2) just before you board?  Most embarcation ports have liquor stores in the area.

• Like 1

I am a champagne drinker and have not seen either one of those on the list. I would be very careful putting a sparkling in my suitcase anyway. Agree with those above and stop by the nearest liquor store. If you uber from the airport you can add a stop for minimal $.

• Like 1

Just now, tulok said:

I am a champagne drinker and have not seen either one of those on the list. I would be very careful putting a sparkling in my suitcase anyway. Agree with those above and stop by the nearest liquor store. If you uber from the airport you can add a stop for minimal $.

Yes, bubbles in a suitcase sound like a disaster!! 

• Like 2

I've taken champagne from France to Australia in checked luggage on flights with no problems. I did pack it in bubble wrap then two ziplock plastic bags and nestled it between layers of clothing. It arrived safely.

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've taken champagne from France to Australia in checked luggage on flights with no problems. I did pack it in bubble wrap then two ziplock plastic bags and nestled it between layers of clothing. It arrived safely.

Brave!! 
I’ve definitely taken wine that made it safely. I like all the packaging you did! That likely helped. I’m never that careful when traveling with wine, probably should be. I usually wrap it in clothes. Going to Mexico next month and want to take a couple of bottles. I need to get bubble wrap! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

Brave!! 
I’ve definitely taken wine that made it safely. I like all the packaging you did! That likely helped. I’m never that careful when traveling with wine, probably should be. I usually wrap it in clothes. Going to Mexico next month and want to take a couple of bottles. I need to get bubble wrap! 

I trust a bottle of champagne more than a bottle of red wine! 🤣 Champagne bottles are designed to withstand the pressures.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I trust a bottle of champagne more than a bottle of red wine! 🤣 Champagne bottles are designed to withstand the pressures.

Yeah, I wouldn’t say my choices have been smart now, have they?! 😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t say my choices have been smart now, have they?! 😂

I've brought plenty of red wine home in my suitcase on trips. Same packing rules apply and it has all arrived safely. 

• Like 1

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've brought plenty of red wine home in my suitcase on trips. Same packing rules apply and it has all arrived safely. 

Oh, I’ve been lucky! I’ve taken up to 3 bottles in one suitcase but never properly packaged like yours. Never had a problem but still feels … lucky 

57 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Agree. I was thinking of the shaking and opening like I just won the Super Bowl. Maybe my suitcase needs more bottles to keep shaking to a minimum. I usually buy champagne at airport duty free so I can carry on but I may try the bubble wrap.

• Like 1

Back to the question I have not seen either of those brands if you're going on a royal class ship check out bellini's it's a bar with champagne cocktails on their drink menu but most are over the plus package and some are even higher than the Premier package but they are delicious😀

• Like 1

I’ve seen Chandon in the past but think it is only by the bottle.  Their stock is really up to what is ordered and it can be ever changing.  
The champagne they serve is about $18 per glass.  It is pretty good.  They may also stock some Gloria Ferrar for just under $15 a glass but again, it’s all on what they stock.  You may see it on one ship and not on another ship.  Or, they may have it on one cruise but not on another on the same ship.  
I think the Prosecco they serve is $9 per glass.  All of these, you will need to add and 18% gratuity if you don’t have a package.  

5 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Reminds me of the time my son and DIL took a trip somewhere in Mexico.  He had purchased a very nice bottle of tequila and had packed it in checked luggage.  When they got to their destination, he was met by an airline rep who said "Seenyore..yore bag...it leeked!"  DIL ended up throwing half their clothes out because they were soaked in 80 proof tequila! 😄

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, ChynaS said:

Travelling out of Southampton on the Sky Princess - are we able to take a bottle of Champagne onboard to drink in our cabin?

You can take as many bottles of wine and/or champagne aboard as you like, basically.

One bottle per adult of legal drinking age is corkage free is consumed in cabin or a glass taken elsewhere.

Any additional bottles are due corkage of $20usd per bottle and will be marked as paid. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Reminds me of the time my son and DIL took a trip somewhere in Mexico.  He had purchased a very nice bottle of tequila and had packed it in checked luggage.  When they got to their destination, he was met by an airline rep who said "Seenyore..yore bag...it leeked!"  DIL ended up throwing half their clothes out because they were soaked in 80 proof tequila! 😄

Oh no!! Sounds terrible!! 
Was she afraid to dry them in the dryer?! Lol

When leaving from our home port, we’ve started walking on with a wine trolly we got on Amazon. 
When at a different port we usually stop at a store to pick up wine 

Edited by jennybenny
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Oh no!! Sounds terrible!! 
Was she afraid to dry them in the dryer?! Lol

When leaving from our home port, we’ve started walking on with a wine trolly we got on Amazon. 
When at a different port we usually stop at a store to pick up wine 

We also got a couple of those wine trollies for cruises from our home port.  Best things ever!  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jennybenny said:

I have checked it many times with no problems. There are reusable cushioned bags you can buy called Wine Diapers that will absorb any spill if the worst happens 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tulok said:

Agree. I was thinking of the shaking and opening like I just won the Super Bowl. Maybe my suitcase needs more bottles to keep shaking to a minimum. I usually buy champagne at airport duty free so I can carry on but I may try the bubble wrap.

Just let the champagne rest for a few days before drinking it. It won't be any more shaken up than if you'd bought it online and had it shipped.

You don't need much bubble wrap. I just use a single layer, just as added cushioning 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I’ve seen Chandon in the past but think it is only by the bottle.  Their stock is really up to what is ordered and it can be ever changing.  
The champagne they serve is about $18 per glass.  It is pretty good.  They may also stock some Gloria Ferrar for just under $15 a glass but again, it’s all on what they stock.  You may see it on one ship and not on another ship.  Or, they may have it on one cruise but not on another on the same ship.  
I think the Prosecco they serve is $9 per glass.  All of these, you will need to add and 18% gratuity if you don’t have a package.  

This was the Champagne / sparkling wine list on Diamond in November, cruising Japan.

20231031_192854.thumb.jpg.c5ad1518d76890ea6ce8d447f096403c.jpg

• Thanks 1

I wouldn’t be too worried about traveling with what you like to drink as long as you are careful. Google “wine travel bag” and you’ll find many options.  We always use bags that are bubble wrap shaped like a bottle with a double zip lock leak seal wrapped with an extra layer of bubble wrap. Then we carefully pack them in the center of the suitcase with only clothing around them (nothing hard that might impact them).  I have lost track of the number of times we’ve done this and so far it’s always worked even with long haul travel with multiple changes of planes.  It’s a little extra effort but seems to do the trick.

• Like 2