Cruise Critic Overhaul

Tina99

On 1/30/2024 at 8:54 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I think the should remove the time limit to edit a post and add a delete button 

Or at least make the time limit longer. I know recently I was still reading  boards when I noticed someone had just reacted to one of my posts. I looked book and noticed I had written too when I should have written two. (dumb mistake 🤦‍♂️) It could not have been that long afterwards, but it was too late to edit, which I found out when I tried.

Can you attempt to delete one of your own posts by reporting it and asking the mods to delete it giving your reasons for wanting it to be deleted?

36 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Can you attempt to delete one of your own posts by reporting it and asking the mods to delete it giving your reasons for wanting it to be deleted?

That would be a lot of unnecessary work for the mods 

55 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes.  Now whether they will act on it is another matter.  

17 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

No work to it at all.  The post is linked within the “Report” utility so it’s easy enough to go straight to it and hit the “Hide” button.  (Posts aren’t actually “deleted”, per se.  They’re just hidden from public view and appear as a shaded post to the mods and administrators.)

4 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Yes.  Now whether they will act on it is another matter.  

No work to it at all.  The post is linked within the “Report” utility so it’s easy enough to go straight to it and hit the “Hide” button.  (Posts aren’t actually “deleted”, per se.  They’re just hidden from public view and appear as a shaded post to the mods and administrators.)

There could be hundreds of reported post that people want to delate ,

a complete waste of the mods time to do this 

3 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Like I said… whether they act on it is another matter.

Interestingly, reporting your own post for removal isn’t as common as you would think.

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I don't think it would happen often enough to be a lot of work. I want to emphasize I am talking about deleting one's own post, not any post by any other person.

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

NO, as I said in my previous posts, this would only pertain to one's own posts, not posts by anyone else.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Or at least make the time limit longer. I know recently I was still reading  boards when I noticed someone had just reacted to one of my posts. I looked book and noticed I had written too when I should have written two. (dumb mistake 🤦‍♂️) It could not have been that long afterwards, but it was too late to edit, which I found out when I tried.

I think most all of us can recognize a typo, so no worries.  In my case it is always to be blamed on autocorrect because I'm shure I neever do typo's.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think most all of us can recognize a typo, so no worries.  In my case it is always to be blamed on autocorrect because I'm shure I neever do typo's.  

Maybe, but I wrote too instead of two. And I thought that made me look like an uneducated idiot. 😒

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

Maybe, but I wrote too instead of two. And I thought that made me look like an uneducated idiot. 😒

I "liked" your comment, but not because I think that at all.  

• Thanks 1

The search function definitely needs some tweaking. I was just recently searching a thread for posts relating to a certain topic and I read on the last page one post with some of the info I was looking for but when I ran a search to see if there was more in the thread with the relevant key words it came up with 0 results. This is not the first time I have noticed omitted results and I can only imagine how many things are skipped or missed that I don't know about. 

I would suggest the following:

Make your home country location mandatory in the profile.  I know that folks could put any comment there, but perhaps a drop down that you had to select a country and then an open text where you could if you wanted to add a city or region.  But make the country mandatory.

Why?  On many discussions that I participate in, such as Insurance, and Viking payment/deposits, there are such great differences depending on the country that you reside in.

Having Cruise Insurance broken into sub forums that are specific to Canada, USA, Australia, UK and potentially other countries.

In the ever favourite discussions about Viking (I know I am limiting to Viking but sure this applies to many cruise lines and different countries) payments and deposits, etc, there are vast differences again about country.  I am not suggesting sub-forums here, but this is where the mandatory country of residence would help to understand a response that someone gives or lets us know how to respond, or who should respond.

For me, I don't use search much, but do know how to effectively use it in its current state.

I more look for current discussions that I can add to.  I use the "Mark Forum Ad Read" every day after I have gone through the forums that I am interested in, that way when I come back later today or tomorrow, and go back into that forum, I am only seeing NEW activity.  This is an essential tool for me as it keeps me current to the discussions that I might be interested in.

I also look at any new activity with an eye to when the original post was started.  If it was started years ago, and this is the first activity since, then I don't even open it.  Sometimes to me we are beating a dead horse to use a saying that is somewhat distasteful...

12 hours ago, ontheweb said:

That is what most errors do, especially typos. In ancient Rome when a conquering general was being paraded through the city a servant stood behind him holding a crown of laurel and repeating the words, "remember, you are mortal", to remind the general that the adulation he was receiving was only temporary. The typo serves the same function for us today.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

That is what most errors do, especially typos. In ancient Rome when a conquering general was being paraded through the city a servant stood behind him holding a crown of laurel and repeating the words, "remember, you are mortal", to remind the general that the adulation he was receiving was only temporary. The typo serves the same function for us today.

Maybe instead of a servant following, we could have a preview button as well as a post button so one could see what his or her posts looks like before posting. I do realize that one can reread it before posting, but sometimes if it is long that is not so easy, and maybe some of us are so jazzed to post our "brilliant" thoughts that we post quickly without rereading. (I am going to reread this before posting.) I do know they have that feature in a football forum I sometimes participate in.

41 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

One other thing, I did not consider my writing too when I should have written two as a typo. When I saw it, I thought to myself "doh that was stupid".

The one thing that I did like during the up vote trial was having the OP's post at the top no matter the page. Sometimes especially if it is a long thread you don't want to read from the very beginning so it was nice that I could start at any page and still see the OPs original post that started the thread

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Maybe instead of a servant following, we could have a preview button as well as a post button so one could see what his or her posts looks like before posting. I do realize that one can reread it before posting, but sometimes if it is long that is not so easy, and maybe some of us are so jazzed to post our "brilliant" thoughts that we post quickly without rereading. (I am going to reread this before posting.) I do know they have that feature in a football forum I sometimes participate in.

I don't know if it is a function of my computer or of Cruise Critic but misspellings are underlined in red (and grammatical errors in blue). Posting too quickly is the weakness of computer forums, we post without thinking about it. Still, our posts appear to us as they will be posted, so I'm not sure an actual preview would help.

37 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

One other thing, I did not consider my writing too when I should have written two as a typo. When I saw it, I thought to myself "doh that was stupid".

If you meant to type "two" and typed "too" instead, then it was a typo. 

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

On my iPad there is a preview icon:

IMG_1053.thumb.jpeg.8bb45c7cc921d9cd0d67e722c1860465.jpeg

When I click on it, I see this:

IMG_1055.thumb.jpeg.a1d7faaa10cc0365a2b710719b42cfdd.jpeg

I would like to see an improvement of the forum experience on Smartphones. The mobile browser experience is bad. Either improve the mobile bowser or have a Cruise Critic app. I am pretty much stuck now to using a computer or an 11 inch IPad. 

Edited by Charles4515

On 1/30/2024 at 5:45 PM, deliver42 said:

I ususally don't look at the original date, but only look at things that were answered within one day.

Is that like that I just go to the last page?