Regent vs Oceania

One of our two regular supermarkets, Waitrose, publishes a monthly food magazine. This month's edition carries a four page advert for Regent noting that the line is created "with discerning food-loving travellers in mind". Would anyone care to comment, please, on how they reckon that claim stacks up against Oceania's "Finest cuisine at sea". And , of course, any more general comments that might help me to make useful comparisons on the relative experiences - we're looking towards a 2025 cruise. I'm also asking the same question on the Oceania forum. 

TIA

John

Regent is our cruise line of choice - when the itinerary is right..  I find the evening menus to be very interesting and a nice variety. Lunch in the pool grill is always nice, whether it is the salmon burgers or a special buffet.  Many times they will bring in local sourced food, sea food, for the menu. Have not been on Oceania, so can't comment.

• Like 1

I'm interested in this topic too, as we are refugees from Oceania since the arrival of Simply more.

Regent are certainly plugging their food offer.  I chose to cruise on Splendor before I discovered it was the vessel on "The Worlds Most Expensive Cruise Ship".  Catch up TV let me watch the programme, and they were certainly emphasising up the food on board.  We've still to travel so I can't comment, though not all reviews are complimentary..

We cruised on Marina for 15 nights last year, and apart from one entrée the food we ordered was really great.  Their bread and butter was so good that I often felt  I'd be happy with that and a glass of chilled white wine 😆.  It definitely felt like fine dining.  Oceania have trademarked "the finest cuisine at sea" and I don't know how true it is in every case but it certainly suited me very well.

• Like 1

We,ve not cruised Oceania and we aren’t foodies. But we know people who have and are, and have also cruised Regent. Oceania’s food rates very high with them. I don’t think you can go wrong, food wise, on either line.

• Thanks 1

I’ve sailed both lines and found cuisine to be pretty much on par with each other.  Overall excellent on both lines and some of the best meals I’ve experienced at sea.  Since both lines are owned by the same parent company and cuisine is a staple of both products, it wouldn’t surprise me if procurement for both lines is very similar, with tweaks to menus and presentation individualized for the brands.  

The most noticeable difference for me was the MDR on Regent, the Compass Rose.  Regent likes to call it the largest specialty restaurant at sea and I agree.  The menu is really extensive and everything is made to order.  I found it much more extensive than Oceania and the overall experience just elevated. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We fled Celebrity to try Regent.  Fell in love with the cruise line.  It is our firm favorite.  We have done three R cruises.  We did one Oceania cruise and I would concur with @eroller  I would say that the biggest difference in food is found in Compass Rose on R.  It is hard to beat the extensive menu offered every single night in CR.  There are pluses and minuses in other dining venues…we loved the Slocumb ice cream on O but love the cronuts on R.  Lots of personal preferences.  We missed the tablecloths in the veranda when on O.  To us, R is a touch more elegant, more choice-friendly, more immediately responsive to passenger concerns.

One experience of note….we were on the Marina and multiple people we met on tours commented that after very lengthy waits for their entrees, 30-45 minutes, they got up and walked out.  In these multiple instances, the dining room staff just watched them go.  No questions, no comments, no attempt to find out why.  Based on our experience, I find it hard to imagine that in the same scenario on R you would not be chased by staff almost wringing their hands to find out why you were leaving and what could they do to fix things for you.

O can say they have the finest food at sea, but I think R could say the same if they chose to do so.  Based on our current impressions I would always choose R over O, but I enjoyed our one O cruise enough to go on O again if the ship and itinerary were both right for us.

Joanie

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Oceania and Regent are the two lines we use - just got off the Explorer.

The whole dining experience on both lines is excellent. Service comparable.

However, we feel Oceania ranks higher food wise. Both have very good food with very few misses,  but Oceania has some truly memorable meals.

Examples: Red Ginger vs. Pacific Rim, the miso sea bass at Red Ginger over the miso cod at Pacific Rim; the duck water mellon salad offered at both, it is much better on Oceania. Several dishes at Oceania's Jacques: the pea vichyssoise (so much depth of flavor), the scallop gnocchi, the sea bass wellington for two. On no other ship have we had such dishes.

We also appreciate that the buffet at breakfast and lunch on Oceania is all served by attendants (no touch by passengers).  This was true even before covid. Just seems to be more sanitary (although I haven't really seen anything egregious on Regent)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been on O & R a few years ago and I felt the food on O wasn’t as good as Regent. Having been on Splendor in September 2023 it’s my opinion that the food and service has slipped on Regent compared to precovid times. Most of the food was very good but there were times where some entrees were downright poor, especially the lobster. It was the inconsistency that struck me. 

And, while this may be a bit off topic, Regent is inclusive of all beverages all the time. O is beer or wine only at lunch and dinner, and I don’t know how the O beverage package works. Also, valet laundry is included in all suites on Regent, while I don’t think that is true of O. These are important things to me. I guess I’m just a clean drunk!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

And further, along these lines, O suites seem to be smaller than Regent’s — in the same category. Also, I can’t find anything about included access to mini fridge contents on O. All levels on Regent have this. Upper O suites include 3 bags of laundry per suite per cruise. All suite levels on Regent have daily valet laundry service (except on the day before disembarkation, when there isn’t time to get the finished laundry back). 

• Thanks 1

In addition to @Dolebludgerimportant comments, RSSC includes as many shore excursions you can fit in.( Not just a $400 or 500 limit on OC.) Yes, some of them have a surcharge of a small amount, but the majority are included . On a cruise I recently booked, was able to find multiple tours that I had not taken in each port. Many food and wine included excursions which I am looking forward to experiencing. 

RSSC also have very nice offers for single supplements 0% to 50% , which are important to me. Still have not figured out the Oceania single supplements….

There is someone on the Oceania board, that was recently on the ill fated TA voyager from Cape Town to Rio not happy with the dining experience.  That ship has been having an ongoing issue with staff and passenger illness, which has totally affected services and food service. It is my impression, this is the exception not the norm. Every ship’s service is dependent on staff at that time.

• Thanks 1

Yes, for whatever reason, the RSSC Voyager seems to be having problems. I think the S. American itinerary may be the problem with illness, though IDK. As I read of problems in this sip in other itineraries. Our recent are gent experience was on the Explorer last summer and it was outstanding. Better than our many pre- pandemic Regent cruises. We have two booked cruises on the Splendor. It and the Grandeur are sister ships to the Explorer. I’ve had problems with the Voyager shaking toward the stern. The Mariner suites below penthouse are just too small and the old Navigator has a bad case of vibration, and always had. But I predict that those who book the Regent Explorer, Splendor, and Grandeur (newest ships) will be happy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think we will learn of the next generation of new Regent ships very soon.  I know they have been working on it.  Expect a 3-ship order.  I’m guessing this will make way for NAVIGATOR to exit the fleet.  VOYAGER and MARINER will stick around as a major refurb has already been announced for both.  This won’t just be cosmetic, but some down-to-the-steel reworks of public spaces and cabins.  They should be up to Explorer Class standards when complete, and who knows maybe even better?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

And further, along these lines, O suites seem to be smaller than Regent’s — in the same category. Also, I can’t find anything about included access to mini fridge contents on O. All levels on Regent have this. Upper O suites include 3 bags of laundry per suite per cruise. All suite levels on Regent have daily valet laundry service (except on the day before disembarkation, when there isn’t time to get the finished laundry back). 

Regular cabins at Concierge level on Oceania and all suites get 3 bags of laundry, but it is advertised as 3 day service. May come back faster but no guarantees. 

That is not really good for a tropical cruise when bathing suits need to be ready quicker. And concierge suites on O appear to be much smaller than concierge suites on Regent. To get the same space on O, we’d need to book a penthouse. Doing that would lose any price advantage from booking O. And what about mini fridge use on O? With Regent, we have it. And we have a bottle of spirits too..so when we return from an exhausting excursion, I can have a beer and wife can have a vodka 7 in the suite before we get dressed for something onboard. 

This is way off topic from food quality, but we are old folks, Wife is 71 and I am 80. Laundry is very important to us, because it means lighter luggage to haul around in airports (where did the sky caps go?). And in-suite beverages are important because sometimes we just want to sit on the balcony and enjoy a drink from the mini fridge — sometimes just a coke. And suite size is important to us.  With anything under about 300 sq. ft. inside space, things get a bit crowded and messy, even with 2X/day room makeup.

Back to food, we are booked on the Splendor next month in the E. Caribbean. Itinerary may seem a bit corny, but we haven’t done it for about 18 years. We looked at the specialty restaurant menus, which to some are great, but some feature food that we just don’t like. We booked Prime 7 twice and Pacific Rim once on a seven nighter, and will rely on the Compass Rose otherwise. I don’t know what I’ll eat in the  Pacific Rim, as I don’t like seafood. Wife loves it, and we don’t get much of it here in Colorado. But I agree with the post above that the Compass Rose is the largest speciality restaurant at sea. Long ago, we used to cruise larger mass market ships, and grew to hate MDRs on them. But the Compass Rose is nothing like those. We just walk in, ask for a two top, and are seated. No lines, crowds, or noise.  And many choices on the menu. 

So, for us, we are going to spend our “golden years” cruising Regent — when we vacation. We had a couple of nice cruises in Celebrity’s Retreat late in the last decade. But as mentioned in a post above, that option has gone down hill,— badly.  Regent has not. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

I don’t know what I’ll eat in the  Pacific Rim, as I don’t like seafood. Wife loves it, and we don’t get much of it

We're the opposite.  I love seafood and my wife is allergic.  But we found that Pacific Rim (on Grandeur but the menus are close if not identical) offered many non-seafood choices.  She was very happy with the available choices.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, at least she was.  But your wife will be very happy... and as we both know... that's what counts. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dolebludger: I’m intrigued how you booked P7 twice in advance on a 7 night, single segment cruise. I didn’t think that was possible.

Edited by Pies4u
Clarification.

Well, my wife did the specialty restaurant booking, and that is what she said was done. That’s all I know. And on our Explorer Alaska cruise last summer,I know we ate in Prime 7 twice. The upcoming Splendor  E. Caribbean cruise caught us “between” TAs. We didn’t want to use the one we had before, and we hadn’t found another one. So there may be some confusion here. We are booked in a concierge suite, if that matters.

Edited by Dolebludger

Thanks for the prompt response. It sounds strange- as you can only make 1 advance booking per specialty restaurant/segment.

Plus, on a 7 night cruise you’d be lucky to get a second night anywhere too. Even on longer cruises the trend, in our experience on Explorer,  seems to be not to fill the restaurants and not to take many bookings post 8.00 pm. I’m guessing that may be related to staffing issues & other logistical constraints.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

pappaflamingo, all I could find online about the Pacific Rim menu was a sample menu on Regent’s web site. Everything on that contained seafood. But it was just a sample, so thanks for the information.

My wife liked the Chinese Barbecue Pork Ribs, and our friend loved the Lamb.  Also, as you'll see, there are other options from vegetarian to beef.  

As for your wife, make sure your tries the Tempura Lobster!!!!   I believe she can get it in an appetizer size if she doesn't want it for a main.  And the Miso Black Cod is also excellent.  

If you like Foie Gras, the Chicken & Foie Gras Gyoza appetizer is outstanding!!!  

Have a great cruise, 😎

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Harters said:

One of our two regular supermarkets, Waitrose, publishes a monthly food magazine. This month's edition carries a four page advert for Regent noting that the line is created "with discerning food-loving travellers in mind". Would anyone care to comment, please, on how they reckon that claim stacks up against Oceania's "Finest cuisine at sea". And , of course, any more general comments that might help me to make useful comparisons on the relative experiences - we're looking towards a 2025 cruise. I'm also asking the same question on the Oceania forum. 

TIA

John

John, you should ask this same question on the Oceania board. It would be interesting to compare the responses. I wouldn’t hesitate to choose Oceania, Crystal or Regent, although I prefer Regent. The tie breaker would be the itinerary. I prioritize the destination experience when choosing. For example, I am sailing on Paul Gauguin to the French Polynesia because they specialize in that area, offer a better itinerary, they can get into small lagoons that larger ships can’t enter and they sail in the months I want to go. Most of the mainline cruise lines go there during the rainy/stormy season and that is a risk I don’t want to take. I don’t put much value in Regent’s included shore excursions because they are just OK in most cases and I would prefer to arrange my own. I know you didn’t ask about Crystal but before their bankruptcy they were my favorite cruise line.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

John, you should ask this same question on the Oceania board. It would be interesting to compare the responses

Thanks - as I mentioned in my OP, I have asked the question on the O board. And, yes, it's interesting to compare. 

Edited by Harters