ASCENT 2/4 to 2/11/2024 – Awesome – The “Bests”

ASCENT 2/4/2024 – Awesome – The “Bests”

Just off the Ascent 2/4 to 2/11/2024 and took the day off from this review in preparation and watching the Super Bowl. 🏈🍷 We stayed in the Prime Aqua Class with Infinite Veranda (and a really nice sized shower).

Background – Since 2008, long list of over 80 weeks of cruises, primarily B2B or 12+N, on NCL Haven, MSC Yacht Club, Royal Oasis and Quantum Classes, Celebrity Solstice Class, all pre-Covid, with return on Silhouette (December 2023) and then Ascent (just now), so nothing 2020, 2021, 2022 until late 2023.

We’re going to try a different type of ‘review’ by highlighting some of the “Bests” a couple at a time so that we don’t have a long-read review and members can respond to specific mentions. We’ll follow up with a couple of “Ooops” down the road. Hope it works.

Here’s the first two 5-Star "Bests" ~

BEST #1 – The Edge Class  🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

This ship was and is an incredible experience based on its’ awesome design(s), below deck, common and social areas, infinite veranda (yes, we loved it and will comment separately), bars, lounges and restaurants, a great Solarium (design improved with hot tubs at the center near waterfall décor and over pool) and a truly fantastic pool and top deck (so much seating and more social ‘nooks and crannies’ than an English muffin) and unique elevated hot tubs. The Solstice Class ‘grass’ is gone and replaced by a much superior and improved layout in so many regards that the deck plans don’t even give fair justice to the extent of the beautifully designed seating areas, bars, vegetation, cabanas, group seating venues with massive umbrellas, etc.

The Infinite Veranda was great. We enjoyed it more on this one-week cruise than all of the combined 80 weeks of cruising with balconies combined. We know it’s a split issue on favorability with cruisers, so we’re all in on ‘it’s great’ for us. We did see Royal’s Icon of the Seas in a port (seriously, huge) and noticed the infinite verandas on what appeared to be 3 decks. That might have been an option for the Edge Class? When arriving in port in the morning and activating the ‘curtain’ up one does have to be quick for some more clothes as you dock next to another cruise ship. 😳

The Solarium was also really nice. The design moved the hot tubs from the sides of the deck (where they took up space and pushed the walk-through traffic closer to the loungers) to between and raised up over the pool and the waterfall effect decor and lighting. Shower located by the entrance steps. Plexiglass half arc covers on the pool and lounge side (likely to minimize noise, could use some more height for the one or two time "they" are in there a bit too fluidically nourished). 😉 

The 2-Deck Walking Track is the best at sea (from our experiences listed), traverses 2-decks with incredible creativity and “almost zero interruption of or by’ and lounge chairs or tanning passengers. Also it is a good length and the incline long and deliberate with good activity and entertainment from the main pool below. Pretty much walked for an hour every day 10:30 - 11:30 in the sun and breeze and totally enjoyed it, got a good routine in and soaked in the white noise and views on the whole course. 🚶‍♂️ (the hair should be grey on this one).

BEST #2 – EDEN

The lounge, café and restaurant, are simply magnificent, a three-prong venue extraordinaire. 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

The lounge for us was the best and most used venue to have drinks, meet people (we met more couples and groups each early evening on this cruise than any other) and be with each other and simply enjoy the over-the-top design, décor and high, multi-floor glassed views. Eden reminded us a lot of 270 on Royal, but pushed way, way up to the top. Very good bar service and table side.

The Café for us was our lunch destination, really good meat quality, pressed sandwiches, two soup options daily, salads (not up to the historic Park Café on Royal) and ‘cookies’ (to eat and ‘to go’). Service is a little rushed and, oddly, despite being very busy, the staff rushes to close the curtain (signature design to match physical walls) at 1:15. Seriously, even after just putting out dishes of chips, potato salad+ and cookies? All of the above while sitting anywhere in Eden. Really nice.

The Restaurant, we made a reservation for ‘tasting’ [only available logged in to X account] and, a couple of days in, switched to regular menu at the host station [credit on account] and ultimately canceled. We’d been doing breakfast at the Elite (member benefit) Le Grand Bistro (more on that later), lunch at the Eden Café and dinner at BLU and we simply knew that we could not eat to the extent that the Eden Restaurant experience offered – based on the highest ratings, comments and sharing from those we socialized with on the ship. All such posted or commented that dining in Eden is ‘not to be missed’ and for the ‘tasting menu’ be very hungry and take your time. Will try someday.

Edited by At Sea At Peace
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

We enjoyed the Maiden Voyage on Ascent. Having already been introduced to the Edge Class with previous cruises on Edge and Beyond, our impressions had already been formed and continued to be positive with the Ascent sailing. We thoroughly enjoy this new X presentation and will continue to include all Celebrity ships in our cruising experience. Apex is currently on the books for a future cruise. 

53 minutes ago, 39august said:

So, is all that lunch at no extra cost, please?  

LUNCH - The Eden Cafe' is complimentary, however, they did offer a lobster roll for $14 and a beefsteak and cheese melt for $9.  We did see quite a few lobster rolls served. They are not on the menu that we had digitally, but were on the 'board' at the counter, on the display glass and the counter staff confirmed it was extra when ordered. 

The soups changed daily in addition to what we had; also tomato, chicken noodle, vegetable, clam chowder, potato, etc. We had the Roasted turkey & Cranberry Ciabatta and the Reuben Panini quite a bit. Very good, tasty and light. Tempted by the daily carving, but again, kept it light. Also had the red potato salad often.

Diet Coke and Ginger Ale's are in a 'locked display' for those with the appropriate drink package. 😔

image.jpeg.ec9ddc25c2d305eb80b3dfe2798ab03a.jpeg

Edited by At Sea At Peace
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, 39august said:

And what about breakfast choices at Eden?

BREAKFAST - The breakfast is complementary. We did not go there for breakfast at all, but wanted to a couple of times and changed our minds and stuck with the Elite benefit breakfast that, in addition to being really good and in a beautiful specialty dining venue, also included Mimosas, Bellini's and Bloody Mary's. 😉

image.jpeg.04dd6b6ab5202d76f9444c7d319df793.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

We enjoyed the Maiden Voyage on Ascent. Having already been introduced to the Edge Class with previous cruises on Edge and Beyond, our impressions had already been formed and continued to be positive with the Ascent sailing. We thoroughly enjoy this new X presentation and will continue to include all Celebrity ships in our cruising experience. Apex is currently on the books for a future cruise. 

Nice.  We expect to do the same this fall after Hurricane Season as we're 1 mile up the beach from the Port and Celebrity has some great ships at Port Everglades over the late fall and winter into spring.

15 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Nice.  We expect to do the same this fall after Hurricane Season as we're 1 mile up the beach from the Port and Celebrity has some great ships at Port Everglades over the late fall and winter into spring.

We are 30 minutes south of port Canaveral where the Apex will take up residence in November '25. It will be nice to have an Edge class ship nearby.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

We are 30 minutes south of port Canaveral where the Apex will take up residence in November '25. It will be nice to have an Edge class ship nearby.

I’m looking forward to that too..albeit I’m just south of Atlanta, still an easy drive the day before..we like to overnight the evening before in New Smyrna Beach

3 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

BEST #2 – EDEN

The lounge, café and restaurant, are simply magnificent, a three-prong venue extraordinaire. 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

A couple of photos approaching EDEN after you go through the glass and mirror entrance way to the BLU and Eden, some shops, that warm you up to what your heading toward.

Just as you go past BLU

image.thumb.jpeg.0bba0b389b18e19d425a2aa68797889d.jpeg

The first welcome

image.thumb.jpeg.ac6f803d83b43055068905cf3965f19f.jpeg

Decor 'from the garden'

image.thumb.jpeg.c62545ce3e582cd053255c1fcf448bef.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.895a12ab62d29bc8fb1305f8ac32d8d4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4c0010d8aaf19dac2ebdf06e9b1b0cdc.jpeg

The entrance

image.thumb.jpeg.10d5b95714c3014f5216ee118da268ba.jpeg

The first look

image.thumb.jpeg.dead3bf50c296400a651ba1c729511a1.jpeg

EDEN, the restaurant, down the stairs

image.thumb.jpeg.5775b091b6b6dc9d933e41bc1bb7a2c2.jpeg

First look, small but attractive, open sunken kitchen (multi-levels)

image.thumb.jpeg.286db4b1485613097cc2272670022df4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0f42f0ad22bcce4d171c4d41dc968ad6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.583a49b9fd7b108d5f63f6f91f79d135.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’m looking forward to that too..albeit I’m just south of Atlanta, still an easy drive the day before..we like to overnight the evening before in New Smyrna Beach

No doubt, Dawg. The less distance one has to drive on I-95, the better. Daytona/New Smyrna, good places to overnight. Are you aware that Equinox introduces Celebrity to port Canaveral in December '24?

2 hours ago, barneyboy said:

The menus look good for breakfast and lunch at Eden cafe. Just a pity it closes up so early at lunch time. 

Yep, and it is a really 'hard' close. It could possibly be because the singers and/or game shows in the Eden lounge, right over the Eden restaurant, start at 2PM.  Maybe open earlier to extend the time?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, blueslily said:

I was on the same sailing. Just got home today. Wishing I was still on that awesome ship. 

Yep, it is certainly awesome and we too wish we were still on board.

It was only our 2nd post-pandemic cruise, our first Edge Class and the cruise was special.  The demographics of the passengers on Celebrity (did Silhouette in December '23) and on this cruise appear to trend to a good balance of cruise passengers with regard to courtesy, demeanor, respect and consideration (and friendliness). The design of this ship class, especially the significant number of venues and seating arrangements, we believe contributed to social interaction with other couples and groups quite a bit. Met a lot of really decent people, sat together for hours, waved and chatted upon sight around the ship thereafter and welcomed to sit (for lounge social or dining) regularly.

We tried for 3-days during the cruise to get on the ship (stay on the ship) for this week also and nothing opened up at all down at the future cruise desk or online. 

• Like 1

Thank you for posting the menus for Eden Cafe.  You are correct with the hard close.  Got there 5 minutes late each time and it was closed.

Eden Restaurant was outstanding.  So good, we went there twice.  The second time, we lucked out with a cancellation. 

• Like 1

BEST #3 – DINING "STARTERS" (Appetizers and Soups & Salads) 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

As noted, Celebrity is pretty well noted for its dining. We are aware there are opinions of a decline in such, but we've certainly enjoyed MD Select on Silhouette and, on Ascent, some BLU favorites and Le Grand Bistro.

LE GRAND BISTRO (LUNCH) - First, it is the actual location for Le Petit Chef. The venue is beautiful. It is used for Lunch for a $30 fee with a stunning menu. For us, we wish we had found it earlier in the week as we would have "had this lunch and skipped BLU for dinner." 

The MENU is below the pictures of the Moules-Frites (Mussels Steamed with Garlic, White Wine, Thyme and Braised Tomatoes (with a side of Fries) that I had, and across from the Frisee Lardon Pork Belly salad, followed by the Lobster Bisque with a huge Puff Pastry cap. This combination precluded even ordering of the Plats Du Jour 'daily specials' (and we would have loved Wednesday and Thursday offerings).

The Moules-Frites - Mussels and Broth "Over the Top"

Across the Table - Frisee Lardon Salad (Crispy Port Belly Chunks, Poached Egg, Pickled Shallots)

image.thumb.jpeg.2e5b0969429bd2a609051ea2a64862fd.jpeg

Lobster Bisque with Puff Pastry Cap (Before, During and After) 😉

image.thumb.jpeg.319a4a7e0edccee9c0b917c35c88a4e9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.95607eabeae933f2250eeb1835e52575.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.217712c272a7bcd3911e6afb3b872254.jpeg

Next Cruise - Wednesday and Thursday

image.jpeg.644c845697f93fe54c1b30d3c95de587.jpeg

Full Lunch Menu

image.thumb.jpeg.70d7fc2f471275df44ce6a8c41f5694e.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, keesar said:

Thank you for posting the menus for Eden Cafe.  You are correct with the hard close.  Got there 5 minutes late each time and it was closed.

Eden Restaurant was outstanding.  So good, we went there twice.  The second time, we lucked out with a cancellation. 

Yep, they are 'quick' with that curtain! I fought my way in to get two table napkin settings and utensils as we were 5 minutes pre-close but didn't pick up on the first pass. 

We also heard nothing but superlatives about Eden.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Yep, it is certainly awesome and we too wish we were still on board.

It was only our 2nd post-pandemic cruise, our first Edge Class and the cruise was special.  The demographics of the passengers on Celebrity (did Silhouette in December '23) and on this cruise appear to trend to a good balance of cruise passengers with regard to courtesy, demeanor, respect and consideration (and friendliness). The design of this ship class, especially the significant number of venues and seating arrangements, we believe contributed to social interaction with other couples and groups quite a bit. Met a lot of really decent people, sat together for hours, waved and chatted upon sight around the ship thereafter and welcomed to sit (for lounge social or dining) regularly.

We tried for 3-days during the cruise to get on the ship (stay on the ship) for this week also and nothing opened up at all down at the future cruise desk or online. 

Thanks for this review. Excellent insights and pics. Never been on Edge class before.  Sailing Beyond in August so this is truly helpful.  Tell me more why you liked the Infinite Verandas so much?

BEST #3 – DINING "STARTERS" (Appetizers and Soups & Salads) 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

As noted, Celebrity is pretty well noted for its dining. We are aware there are opinions of a decline in such, but we've certainly enjoyed MD Select on Silhouette and, on Ascent, some BLU favorites and Le Grand Bistro.

BLU - Aqua Class (and Retreat Optionally) - We only went to BLU for dinner, usually early. The venue is beautiful, calm and warm decor and quality tables and chairs. The tables with the 'couch' back side can sometimes require a pillow (or two) behind your back and possibly even one underneath. One favorite we believe on Day 4 was the Clean Cuisine "Chilled Maine Lobster Salad" with 'Spicy Mayo on Soba Noodles. This is one of the starters that I could have had another and called it a night! We both had the Cabernet-Braised Short Ribs (we'll do later on as one of our 'Bests' for Entrees).

Our 7-Day Menu closely followed Day 1-7 of the linked 14 BLU menu posted on CC (we hope link works).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aJJCBmbMLBN1VLuHcttH-rN4PCkXfqB4/edit

image.thumb.jpeg.b9a35d31be8e938febd188ecf59a8ff3.jpeg

EVERYDAY OPTIONS

In BLU it was well known and utilized to order to these menu items (includes Appetizers and Entrees).

image.jpeg.fd0e7a8fe67e62108c79d62a7c9c8c2a.jpeg

• Like 1

Surprised with all the suites you have stayed in that you booked aqua class. I love the live music in bar by Eden but menu didn’t look that good to me, but everyone I have talked to loved it . My favorite celebrity specialty restaurant is Le Petit Chef, my first edge cruise was penthouse which gives you specialty restaurants for free.  I only tried Blu once a long time ago and wasn’t impressed, most suites prefer Luminae.

11 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Our 7-Day Menu closely followed Day 1-7 of the linked 14 BLU menu posted on CC (we hope link works).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aJJCBmbMLBN1VLuHcttH-rN4PCkXfqB4/edit

The link does not appear to be from an Edge Class ship as the MDR menus do not look familiar.  Am I correct?

Thank you for posting.

10 hours ago, George C said:

Surprised with all the suites you have stayed in that you booked aqua class. I love the live music in bar by Eden but menu didn’t look that good to me, but everyone I have talked to loved it . My favorite celebrity specialty restaurant is Le Petit Chef, my first edge cruise was penthouse which gives you specialty restaurants for free.  I only tried Blu once a long time ago and wasn’t impressed, most suites prefer Luminae.

We always booked AQ Class..tried a suite on BEYOND (with cancelled cruise credits)  and were much happier to be  back in AQ Class on ASCENT!

It was amazing!  

We had outstanding dinners at Fine Cut, Eden..and okay at Rooftop.  Excllent  a la carte lunch at Raw on 5 and sammies at Bistro on 5.... great breakfasts at BLU  .Never made Cap Club Breakfast.

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2