Just wondering about Retreat

LB_NJ

According to Celebrity’s website only select suites have free access to the specialty restaurants.

Also, Wi-Fi and premium drinks don’t apply to move-up.  Which I understand.

Finally, I looked at the Luminae restaurant menu and it looks a bit eclectic. It is always this way?  What if you don't like any of the offerings?

7 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

According to Celebrity’s website only select suites have free access to the specialty restaurants.

Finally, I looked at the Luminae restaurant menu and it looks a bit eclectic. It is always this way?  What if you don't like any of the offerings?

Anyone can eat at a specialty, if in a royal suite or above the cost is included, otherwise you pay for it.  Luminae in my experience is fantastic and they will always have something that appeals to most, just ask.

• Like 5

The everyday classics from the MDR menu are also available in Luminae. In addition, no one is forcing anyone to eat in Luminae. Retreat guests can dine in the MDR if they choose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The everyday classics from the MDR menu are also available in Luminae. In addition, no one is forcing anyone to eat in Luminae. Retreat guests can dine in the MDR if they choose.

I understand that however I look at one of the major benefits of Retreat is a better restaurant.

Just now, LB_NJ said:

I understand that however I look at one of the major benefits of Retreat is a better restaurant.

Why would you consider it a major benefit if you don't like any of the offerings? That's what you intimated in your OP.

You will not go hungry in Luminae. I don't eat fish or seafood. I'm also not someone who is going to ask for special meals ahead of time. They will always offer a chicken, steak, which was mostly filet a few weeks ago, a pasta, or you can piece together appetizers for your entree if you want. 

25 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

that is correct.  All others must pay

25 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

also correct 

if you are on an M or S class ship you can ask about ordering items from the MDR MENU

you can also talk to the maître d’ of Blu and ask to go to Aqua or to the MDR. Definitely coordinate that with the Luminae staff.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Why would you consider it a major benefit if you don't like any of the offerings? That's what you intimated in your OP.

I mean it is a major part of the suite cost.  If you don't like the food options then a suite doesn't really make sense on Celebrity.

• Like 1

Luminae is not as good as it used to be but service is great and if you are not on Edge class you can order from regular menu also. Royal suite and above gets free specialty restaurants and other great stuff like two liters on liquor of your choice, sailing in another royal suite in 4 weeks.

• Like 1

If you had a drink package and or WiFi before your move up, that same package goes with you.  

Move up includes premium drinks in the Retreat Lounge regardless of package or lack thereof. 

The "Retreat" experience will differ based on your ship and the level of suite you're in. [As an aside, I realize Zenith might get some of the benefits below based on that status regardless of their cabin].  Also, this assumes you booked the suite outright -- see other threads for what you do and don't get with MoveUp.

All suites get priority boarding and disembarkation -- meaning you can show up any time to board (once boarding starts) and can be the first folks off.

On the "non-revolutionized" older ships (M and S Class), there is no dedicated Retreat deck.  You get Michael's Lounge, which is reserved for suite guests.  It offers free sodas and beer all day and free cocktails / light hors d'oeuvres from 5-8 pm.  You also have the services of the MC concierge to help with reservations or to address any issues -- never a need to go to Guest Services.

Revolutionized older ships and E class have a special deck for Retreat passengers with loungers, pool, bar, etc.  We've yet to cruise on one of those but will do so in June.

You get reserved seating for the production show on "formal" nights (not all nights).

You can eat all meals in Luminae.  The MDR menu is available on non-E-class ships.  Servers have fewer tables to cover and the service is excellent.  There are typically 4 appetizers, 5 entrees (one vegetarian) and 4 desserts.  RS and above get free specialty dining for lunch and dinner.

RS and above get free laundry throughout the cruise. Not sure about Sky and CS. Also not sure if dry cleaning is included as we've never done it.  

RS and above (maybe others -- not sure) get free premium WiFi (4 devices), free gratuities, free premium drink package, and bottle of champagne upon arrival, and two bottles of wine or spirits per cruise.  Minibar is stocked and refilled with sodas, water, juices and beer of your choice.  

Suites get free canapés in the afternoon.  We got shrimp, cheese plates and fruit plates.

RS and above at least get free monogrammed PJs.  We also got one X beach bag.

You get a butler (realize there is debate re butlers in Sky suites).   Some use him/her, some don't.  There are lots of threads about what butlers do.

Whether the above is worth the cost is up to each individual.  

48 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

So Sky suites and Aqua suites No.

Not what you mean by No?  Anyone at all can dine at the specialty restaurants, anyone.  If one is in a royal suite or above though, the cost is already included, others must pay to dine there.

As you stated the menus in Luminae can be eclectic.  We frequently book Aqua or Retreat for the smaller more customizable dining experience.  The service in both are excellent most of the time and they are able to offer changes in the kitchen without having to chase down food from another part of the ship.  That said, you can check the menu in advance on the app and choose a specialty, Blu (if available) or MDR when nothing appeals on a menu.

21 minutes ago, Liao said:

Not what you mean by No?  Anyone at all can dine at the specialty restaurants, anyone.  If one is in a royal suite or above though, the cost is already included, others must pay to dine there.

I understand that.  The Celebrity web site was a little cryptic about which suites included free dining in the specialty restaurants.

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

I mean it is a major part of the suite cost.  If you don't like the food options then a suite doesn't really make sense on Celebrity.

I think that's somewhat dependent on which ship. For me, on M-class, access to Luminae is the biggest perk of booking a suite and includes full access to the MDR menu if you don't care for Luminae's offerings. Lounge comes second, and sundeck (if there is one) third. I've not sailed S-class but I assume it's the same.

On E-class, that priority flips. Sundeck with outdoor bar first, lounge second, Luminae third. I found Luminae on E-class to be a factory atmosphere with little to no ambience and less menu flexibility.

Ultimately, on E-class, I would find myself dining at other venues anyway, so Luminae is less part of the overall suite cost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

Though even if dining is not a number one reason, there are several others that make the retreat reason for selecting.

4 minutes ago, Liao said:

Though even if dining is not a number one reason, there are several others that make the retreat reason for selecting.

What about on Solstice or M class?  I don't like large ships.

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

For us the value of the Retreat on a E class ship is, in order: 

1 Retreat Sun Deck and Bar 

2 Retreat Lounge

3 Luminae

I can’t eat seafood or any fish, and find  the menu very limited.

I do often order steak, and Mac & cheese from the Kids menu,  but that gets old on long sailing. 
We offset Luminae with Blu when we can, go to one of the MDRs about every 3rd night and do 1-2 specialties.

On a S or M class ship Luminae works for us since I can order from the MDR and get the benefit of a smaller venue with great service. 

2 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

We sailed on Silhouette in November in a Celebrity Suite and were able to mix and match anything we wanted from Luminae and/or the MDR.  I am not certain if this is available on the edge class ships due to the location if Luminae to the MDR on those ships.

I've heard you can't order from MDR from Luminae on E class b/c the kitchens are far apart.  But you can choose to dine there any night.  You can also order room service.

29 minutes ago, New Hampshire said:

We sailed on Silhouette in November in a Celebrity Suite and were able to mix and match anything we wanted from Luminae and/or the MDR.  I am not certain if this is available on the edge class ships due to the location if Luminae to the MDR on those ships.

No due to the locations of the kitchens.  The everyday classics are available in Luminae on E class but no the full menu.

2 hours ago, ggo85 said:

RS and above (maybe others -- not sure) get free premium WiFi (4 devices), free gratuities, free premium drink package, and bottle of champagne upon arrival, and two bottles of wine or spirits per cruise.  Minibar is stocked and refilled with sodas, water, juices and beer of your choice.  

They dropped free gratuities I believe.. at least I didn't see any for RS/EV/PH/IC mentioned anymore. Previous PH/EV sailings I immediately saw gratuities mentioned as included, for any sailings now, it's been removed from the "perks".

• Like 1