Fourth Excel Ship Ordered for a 2027 Delivery

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Yeah I get it.  It is probably me, I have done 25 western cruise, and Cozumel 19 times.  I did like Progresso the few times we were there.

I hate Cozumel as well. I've been there almost as many times as you. But you're fine with four ships in Galveston that all go there every cruise.

The point is New Orleans goes everywhere Galveston does and twice as many ports as the two Vista class ships in Long Beach can...so that's not really the reason.

Edited by Saint Greg

Just now, Saint Greg said:

The point is New Orleans goes everywhere Galveston does and twice as many ports as the two Vista class ships in Long Beach can...so that's not really the reason.

We can agree on that (Galveston and New Orleans ports).  Also agree on the options of ports out of Long Beach (wish they went north, I would sign up for that).  Did a double take on the two Vista class ships till I thought of Firenze...

The reason that Galveston always (almost) wins is the number of people within a 3 (or so) hour drive.  3 of the 7 largest US cities and 8 plus million people.  That said, Jubilee is not going anywhere and they will not put two new builds together in same city.  Not happening.

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

they will not put two new builds together in same city.  Not happening.

So you’re saying this new ship will not go to Miami, Galveston or Port Canaveral? Has to be Long Beach then right?

58 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

simple supply and demand.  The problem with both ports, from cruiser perspective is where they can go.  From New Orleans perspective, the 8 hours (or what I remember it being) to the mouth of the gulf takes away a day.  Long Beach has a very limited itinerary as well.  Not very exciting....

Spot on. I love sailing from both Long Beach and New Orleans but both ports have real limitations and are way more regional than national. Very few fly from the 'great white north' to either. Galveston has a huge advantage in that millions upon millions of people live within driving distance. Long Beach is mostly patronized by Californians and the desert SW.  And as for New Orleans, there's a reason that only one company has decided to base ships there 12 months a year despite hyped up announcements about expanded seasonal service by others.  I'll take that as a good sign of strength and progress though.

Look, I'd personally love it if Carnival replaced the old Liberty/Glory models with Breeze or Magic. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. But folks are kidding themselves if they think an Excel is going to be sailing from there anytime soon. Regional ports simply do not get signature boats. Ask tertiary ports like Mobile or Norfolk.

9 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

So you’re saying this new ship will not go to Miami, Galveston or Port Canaveral? Has to be Long Beach then right?

LOL, I did not think I said that.  I do not it will go to west coast for reasons I stated.  I do not think it will go to Galveston.  It will only go to PC if the MG moves (the domino falling of home port dancing, probably makes that a poor choice, but that port is one of the sweetheart home ports for Carnival.  The building works also.....

4 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Spot on. I love sailing from both Long Beach and New Orleans but both ports have real limitations and are way more regional than national. Very few fly from the 'great white north' to either. Galveston has a huge advantage in that millions upon millions of people live within driving distance. Long Beach is mostly patronized by Californians and the desert SW.  And as for New Orleans, there's a reason that only one company has decided to base ships there 12 months a year despite hyped up announcements about expanded seasonal service by others.  I'll take that as a good sign of strength and progress though.

Look, I'd personally love it if Carnival replaced the old Liberty/Glory models with Breeze or Magic. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. But folks are kidding themselves if they think an Excel is going to be sailing from there anytime soon. Regional ports simply do not get signature boats. Ask tertiary ports like Mobile or Norfolk.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Breeze and Magic (expect the recent hull redesign).  Sailed them a cumulative 10 times between the two.

Edited by jimbo5544

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

LOL, I did not think I said that.  I do not it will go to west coast for reasons I stated.  I do not think it will go to Galveston.  It will only go to PC if the MG moves (the domino falling of home port dancing, probably makes that a poor choice, but that port is one of the sweetheart home ports for Carnival.  The building works also.....

So you do think they will put two excel class ships in Miami? What do you think happens with Horizon in that case?

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

I'm more convinced than ever that MG gets switched over to shorter cruises, maybe out of Mia, maybe out of PC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

So you do think they will put two excel class ships in Miami? What do you think happens with Horizon in that case?

Crap I do not know.  LOVE the Horizon will sail her no matter where she goes.  There IS an area we have not talked about that has NEVER gotten a new ship.

XL 4 is definitely going to Tampa. They will turn the Sunshine Skyway Bridge into a drawbridge so that XL4 can make the tranist through the bay.

Or they will build it at the new Oscar Meyer shipyard in Gulfport, Mississippi and flag it under a US registry and crew it with Americans and sail it exclusively in Hawaii to compete with NCL Pride of America.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

No LNG bunker infrastructure on West Coast, with the exception of limited, proprietary operations in Seattle.

Thanks for clearing that up, though I suppose something could be built out by the time Excel #4 is built.

18 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

XL 4 is definitely going to Tampa. They will turn the Sunshine Skyway Bridge into a drawbridge so that XL4 can make the tranist through the bay.

Or they will build it at the new Oscar Meyer shipyard in Gulfport, Mississippi and flag it under a US registry and crew it with Americans and sail it exclusively in Hawaii to compete with NCL Pride of America.

Edited by jimbo5544
I’m

21 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

Will not fir unser the bridge.  

Edited by jimbo5544

4 hours ago, Pyxie said:

To be fair, the Jubilee's decor is "under water." That doesn't really have anything to do with Jubilee. 🙂

Interesting.  Wondered what the theme was as the other 2 seem to have followed their names.

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

Nope just the fact.  Not even close, no sarcasm just another fact. 

No I meant my post was oozing with sarcasm, not yours. Clearly you didnt read it. Or sense of humor is lost on you.

10 minutes ago, Theosprey247 said:

Looks like they are build up Ensenada (and La Paz), so maybe Excel 4 will go to Long Beach…..

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/major-cruise-developments-coming-mexicos-ensenada-and-la-paz

This is from 2021 and obviously hasn’t happened as yet but it would be wonderful for West Coast cruisers if it did. The Ensenada plans sound doable but I am not sure they can get approval for something that big and touristy in La Paz. It has stayed pristine for a reason and giant cruise ships would completely change the landscape. The resistance would be huge but they don’t have to deal with the California Coastal Commission, so maybe! 😜

20 minutes ago, Theosprey247 said:

Wasn’t Carnival (or jointly with RC) building a port (like Amber Cove) in Ensenada? Or did it evaporate due to the shutdown or did I hallucinate? 🧐🤔

Interesting combo, have not seen anything on that.  

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

.  And as for New Orleans, there's a reason that only one company has decided to base ships there 12 months a year despite hyped up announcements about expanded seasonal service by others.  I'll take that as a good sign of strength and progress though.

One word. Katrina 

13 hours ago, tidecat said:

No. The market won't support it.

It will be either Galveston or Port Canaveral, and I'd actually give a slight edge to Galveston.

New build to Galveston

Dream from Galveston to Norfolk

Sunshine from Norfolk to retired

If Sunshine isn't retired, I could see a fourth ship in Galveston year-round, with the seasonal Spirit-class ship headed elsewhere - that would be the best chance for New Orleans, although I think Miami may be more likely (which was supposed to happen before Spirit wound up being redeployed to Mobile). That would allow New Orleans to have a 4 or 5 day cruise departing every Saturday, Thursday, and Monday.

Not going to happen for Galveston. Jubilee basically only has one itinerary. They won't put two ships on the same boring itinerary.