Fourth Excel Ship Ordered for a 2027 Delivery

1 minute ago, bg2310 said:

Galveston already has Jubilee. You're telling me it's getting both of the 2 most recent Excel class ships? Not happening. PC I could see though.

It comes down to which port makes Carnival the most money. Most consumers won't care if Galveston gets consecutive newbuilds, especially four years apart.

Port Canaveral is a viable option for this as well. PC currently has one Vista-class year round and one seasonally (Venezia) so those would be the leading candidates for redeployment.

1 hour ago, bg2310 said:

Not an Icon class, but their brand new (final?) Oasis class ship Utopia of the Seas will be 4 day/weekend cruise. 

It's actually rumored RCCL's new class (after Icon) will be back to the smaller ships. Not sure how small, but significantly smaller than the Icon and Oasis class ships they've been building.

Maybe that user here can finally get off their "Monstrosity" soap box with their incessant, vexing complaing on the matter. We get it, you hate RCCL and love to hear yourself talk about how ugly their big ships are. Last I checked, this is the dedicated CCL subforum, but I digress.

There will always be complainers, no matter what. Royal has already shown that the demand for all of their Oasis and Icon classes is strong. They command premiums, and they sail just fine to the available ports. It almost has paved the way for Carnival to build just as many large ships without much repercussion.

The only reason Royal would return to "smaller" ships is not because the complainers won, but because they are looking to maximize other ports the best they can. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tidecat said:

No. The market won't support it.

It will be either Galveston or Port Canaveral, and I'd actually give a slight edge to Galveston.

New build to Galveston

Dream from Galveston to Norfolk

Sunshine from Norfolk to retired

If Sunshine isn't retired, I could see a fourth ship in Galveston year-round, with the seasonal Spirit-class ship headed elsewhere - that would be the best chance for New Orleans, although I think Miami may be more likely (which was supposed to happen before Spirit wound up being redeployed to Mobile). That would allow New Orleans to have a 4 or 5 day cruise departing every Saturday, Thursday, and Monday.

New Orleans already has a 4 or 5-day cruise departing every Saturday, Thursday, and Monday.

40 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

New Orleans already has a 4 or 5-day cruise departing every Saturday, Thursday, and Monday.

Isn't one of the two ships doing 7-day itineraries? If so, the other ship would have departures every OTHER Saturday, Thursday, and Monday. A third ship could then do the same, just staggered by one week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bg2310 said:

Galveston already has Jubilee. You're telling me it's getting both of the 2 most recent Excel class ships? Not happening. PC I could see though.

Not an Icon class, but their brand new (final?) Oasis class ship Utopia of the Seas will be 4 day/weekend cruise. 

It's actually rumored RCCL's new class (after Icon) will be back to the smaller ships. Not sure how small, but significantly smaller than the Icon and Oasis class ships they've been building.

Maybe that user here can finally get off their "Monstrosity" soap box with their incessant, vexing complaing on the matter. We get it, you hate RCCL and love to hear yourself talk about how ugly their big ships are. Last I checked, this is the dedicated CCL subforum, but I digress.

Is Icon a pretty ship?

20 hours ago, jsglow said:

Interesting move and it will be interesting to see where they put her. Long Beach strikes me as a challenge but is the next logical choice unless you want 2 of the Excels working out of either Miami or PC replacing either Horizon or Vista as the #2 in their respective ports. IF the new build goes to any of those locations, I'd sure be pleased to see one of the Vistas or Dreams move to New Orleans as the 7 day replacing Liberty. And IF that can happen and there's further ship dancing without any immediate retirements, perhaps Liberty to Mobile and Spirit to San Juan?

Just spit ballin'.

Is the Vista or Dream too long to turn around in the Mississippi?

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

There will always be complainers, no matter what. Royal has already shown that the demand for all of their Oasis and Icon classes is strong. They command premiums, and they sail just fine to the available ports. It almost has paved the way for Carnival to build just as many large ships without much repercussion.

The only reason Royal would return to "smaller" ships is not because the complainers won, but because they are looking to maximize other ports the best they can. 

Stating a preference for smaller ships is just that -- stating a preference. It isn't complaining.

21 minutes ago, longhorn2004 said:

They aren't. The river is a half-mile wide at New Orleans. The Dreams used to sail from New Orleans.

39 minutes ago, longhorn2004 said:

Certainly not Dream. She used to be home ported there.

On 2/13/2024 at 1:05 PM, WhiteOptima said:

Well that will be an interesting decor!

To be fair, the Jubilee's decor is "under water." That doesn't really have anything to do with Jubilee. 🙂

4 hours ago, jsglow said:

The more I think about it, I agree with that plan. One of the Excels slides into a 5/5/4 role or maybe even into a 4/3 out of PC or Miami heading twice a week to Celebration Cay. THAT's a money maker. (Not a cruise for me so much, mind you.)

I think this is what may end up happening, Excel 4 takes the 7 day run and bumps Mardi Gras to the 5/5/4 or 4/3. 

One of the Conquests move elsewhere.

But if we are adding to the wish list, let either or come to NYC for the summer season. 

1 hour ago, longhorn2004 said:

Dream already sailed from New Orleans in the past. I sailed on her twice from that port.

Used to live in New Orleans and take the ferry across from Algiers. Would watch the then smaller cruise ships do their 180 degree dance. I see the river is 2000 feet wide at the turning point, but I doubt NOL is getting an EXL class. Especially with Galveston next door feeding the west and midwest traffic flows. And just as important, could the NOL terminal handle such large numbers?

As twisty and winding the River is to the Gulf, the axipods are getting a workout. Be interesting to know if there are more wear and tear on ships serving NOLA.

Edited by longhorn2004

Just now, longhorn2004 said:

Used to live in New Orleans and take the ferry across from Algiers. Would watch the then smaller cruise ships do their 180 degree dance. I see the river is 2000 feet wide at the turning point, but I doubt NOL is getting an EXL class. Especially with Galveston next door feeding the west and midwest traffic flows. And just as important, could the NOL terminal handle such large numbers?

And it's not just that. New Orleans historically has had trouble selling out ships. They aren't going to put that many berths there. There just isn't the demand.

36 minutes ago, jsglow said:

And it's not just that. New Orleans historically has had trouble selling out ships. They aren't going to put that many berths there. There just isn't the demand.

New Orleans cruises consistently cost more than Long Beach cruises. Even when it's old conquest class ships up against newer Vista class ships. A 5-day cruise on Valor over the fall was going to cost the same as the 7-day Regal Princess cruise I took. 

NCL recently canceled a slew of European cruises and a transatlantic to get Getaway to New Orleans earlier this year due to the demand. The demand is there. If Carnival doesn't want it, I hope another cruise line takes it.

“Due to recent guest demand, we have made the decision to begin Norwegian Getaway’s Caribbean season earlier in the year, therefore canceling her originally scheduled sailings from September 29, 2024, through and including November 27, 2024,” the notification explained.

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cancels-sailings-to-accommodate-ship-redeployment/121891

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Poppycock.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/11/port-nola-reports-1-2-million-cruise-passengers-in-2023/

and LNG shouldn't be a problem.

On 2/13/2024 at 2:33 PM, Honolulu Blue said:

Are there any LNG facilities out there?  I assume so.  I haven't looked it up.

BTW, I'm rooting for the Tropicale.  Not that this ship is a priority for me to book.

No LNG bunker infrastructure on West Coast, with the exception of limited, proprietary operations in Seattle.

21 hours ago, tidecat said:

Sunshine is scheduled for an early 2025 drydock - if that still happens Carnival could have 28 ships in the fleet instead of 27 for the second half of 2027. 

The dry dock will happen whether they intend to sell the ship or not.  You can't just park a ship and put up a for sale sign, and not keep up the certificates, which require dry docking at statutory intervals.  The only way they could avoid the dry dock in 2025 is to sell her before then.

21 hours ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

I think they wanted to keep Ecstasy for longer but it needed 20-40 million dollar engine repairs (I can't remember the exact number) 

That number would buy a full set of 6 new engines for the ship.  Considering that the engines get a complete teardown and overhaul every 2+ years, there is no way they needed new engines.

38 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

and LNG shouldn't be a problem.

Well, the LNG would need to come from either Port Arthur or Fouchon (though Fouchon is small), and would require new LNG tankers to be built.

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

The dry dock will happen whether they intend to sell the ship or not.  You can't just park a ship and put up a for sale sign, and not keep up the certificates, which require dry docking at statutory intervals.  The only way they could avoid the dry dock in 2025 is to sell her before then.

Unless if something unforseen takes places, the 2025 drydock will happen, Carnival has cruises out of Norfolk that depend on it.

The 2028 drydock likely won't happen if Carnival takes delivery of a ship in 2027. We may or may not have a period with both Sunshine and Excel 4 in service. If Sunshine gets 24-27 months of sailings after the 2025 drydock I think Carnival would be OK with that.

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, the LNG would need to come from either Port Arthur or Fouchon (though Fouchon is small), and would require new LNG tankers to be built.

Why not Cameron or Plaquemines?

not sure what the status of the Cleancor deal is

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/blog/2021/08/18/port-nola-agreement-to-help-provide-lng-to-customers/

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

New Orleans cruises consistently cost more than Long Beach cruises. Even when it's old conquest class ships up against newer Vista class ships. A 5-day cruise on Valor over the fall was going to cost the same as the 7-day Regal Princess cruise I took. 

NCL recently canceled a slew of European cruises and a transatlantic to get Getaway to New Orleans earlier this year due to the demand. The demand is there. If Carnival doesn't want it, I hope another cruise line takes it.

“Due to recent guest demand, we have made the decision to begin Norwegian Getaway’s Caribbean season earlier in the year, therefore canceling her originally scheduled sailings from September 29, 2024, through and including November 27, 2024,” the notification explained.

https://www.cruisehive.com/norwegian-cancels-sailings-to-accommodate-ship-redeployment/121891

49 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

THANK YOU! I never understood where people got the idea that NOLA doesn't sell cruises. I worked at the cruiseport for 2 years for RC. We can absolutely support an Excel class ship and maybe a Dream or Spirit class doing the same current rotations. I'll be the first one booked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

simple supply and demand.  The problem with both ports, from cruiser perspective is where they can go.  From New Orleans perspective, the 8 hours (or what I remember it being) to the mouth of the gulf takes away a day.  Long Beach has a very limited itinerary as well.  Not very exciting....

21 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That number would buy a full set of 6 new engines for the ship.  Considering that the engines get a complete teardown and overhaul every 2+ years, there is no way they needed new engines.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder about that number too. I do remember it was millions of dollars though.

Edit: I found it. John Heald said it was over 20 million dollars in repairs

Edited by CarnivalShips480

20 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

simple supply and demand.  The problem with both ports, from cruiser perspective is where they can go.  From New Orleans perspective, the 8 hours (or what I remember it being) to the mouth of the gulf takes away a day.  Long Beach has a very limited itinerary as well.  Not very exciting....

From New Orleans I've done Cozumel, Progreso, Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay, Key West, Nassau and Freeport. All 7 on cruises of days or less. 

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

THANK YOU! I never understood where people got the idea that NOLA doesn't sell cruises. I worked at the cruiseport for 2 years for RC. We can absolutely support an Excel class ship and maybe a Dream or Spirit class doing the same current rotations. I'll be the first one booked.

And I'm not even arguing for Excel Class. I'm just saying Vista class.

12 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

From New Orleans I've done Cozumel, Progreso, Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay, Key West, Nassau and Freeport. All 7 on cruises of days or less. 

Yeah I get it.  It is probably me, I have done 25 western cruise, and Cozumel 19 times.  I did like Progresso the few times we were there.