Fourth Excel Ship Ordered for a 2027 Delivery

Carnival Corporation and Meyer Werft announced they have reached an agreement to build another cruise ship for Carnival Cruise Line.

The ship will be a sister to the Carnival Jubilee, which was delivered in 2023, and is scheduled to be delivered in 2027.

“We are very pleased that the partnership between the Meyer Group and Carnival Corporation is being continued with this new order,” said Bernd Eikens, CEO of the Meyer Group.

“This order is a clear sign that the cruise market has recovered and that there is great demand for sea trips,” added Thomas Weigend, Chief Sales Officer of the MEYER Group.

“We are pleased to continue our new build program and expand our global fleet with another state-of-the-art ship from MEYER WERFT that will delight Carnival Cruise Line guests,” added Josh Weinstein, CEO of Carnival Corporation.

Since 2018, Meyer Werft and Meyer Turku have built nine LNG-powered cruise ships for four cruise lines in the Carnival Corporation portfolio on a common technical platform. The new ship will also be built on this platform with a length of around 344 meters.

Carnival Cruise Line Orders New Ship for 2027 Delivery

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Name speculation?

Has enough time passed to name her Carnival Fantasy? I would love if it could be.

My guess it will be the Carnival Holiday. She came before Jubilee and Celebration. :classic_smile:

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

My guess it will be the Carnival Holiday. She came before Jubilee and Celebration. :classic_smile:

I thought about that but Carnival Holiday may be a little too generic for Carnival...thinking search engine optimization...and can people spell Tropicale and Festivale properly?

• Haha 1

Carnival Holiday just isn't a good name, doesn't work. They've got to come up with something more interesting and exciting than that!

There's surely other words out there with the "holiday" name theme that would be a better fit for a name for a ship than that!

38 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Name speculation?

Has enough time passed to name her Carnival Fantasy? I would love if it could be.

Oh no! 

In your honor she's going to be named.

Carnival Cutbacks 

• Haha 3

Thanks for sharing, OP.  I thought the release from Carnival Corporation was more interesting:  Carnival Corporation Orders Fourth Excel-Class Ship for Carnival Cruise Line, 10th Excel-Class Ship Across Global Fleet | Carnival Corporation & plc

From it (emphasis mine):

"Building on our strong performance and growing momentum around the world, we are excited to resume our newbuild program and further enhance our global fleet with yet another state-of-the-art ship that will wow Carnival Cruise Line's guests," said Josh Weinstein, CEO of Carnival Corporation. "With one newbuild scheduled for delivery in 2025, none for 2026, and this order being our only expected newbuild in 2027, our responsible capital approach will support utilizing our substantial free cash flow over the next several years to strategically improve our balance sheet, significantly reduce our leverage levels and continue to transfer value from debt holders to shareholders.

"We are following through on our measured capacity growth strategy with the addition of one to two ships per year beginning in 2027, which will be allocated to our cruise lines that most need the capacity to satisfy outsized demand, delivering an attractive payback period. We also remain focused on driving revenue growth throughout our portfolio of world-class cruise lines by continuing to improve execution across all aspects of our operation, yielding higher return on invested capital," said Weinstein.

Mr. Weinstein has said this before in the earnings reports, so it's interesting to see his plan in action.  

• Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I guess this one goes to California probably.

Are there any LNG facilities out there?  I assume so.  I haven't looked it up.

BTW, I'm rooting for the Tropicale.  Not that this ship is a priority for me to book.

43 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Name speculation?

Fantasy class will still be around in 2027; Elation now has a scheduled drydock for 2026 and Paradise will presumably follow later in 2026.

If nostalgia is still going to be a thing, this will be either Holiday or Tropicale.

Carnival Fiesta would also work for this class as it fits with Celebration and Jubilee.

• Like 2

Carnivale. Tropicale. Festivale. Holiday. Those are the names of bygone ships of the same '80s/'90s era. My speculation would be one of those.

I would love to see Fantasy, also.

I would bet the farm it will be a nostalgic name from the previous era.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 787cruiser said:

So whats happened with the new class order with Fincantieri.....

It may still happen, but we are looking at a 2028 or later delivery. If anything, that should allow all of the European mainstream brands to get a newbuild. Either that or Carnival Cruise Line needs three ships between now and 2031 - that likely means curtains for Sunshine, Sunrise, and Radiance.

1 hour ago, Roscoe13 said:

Oh no! 

In your honor she's going to be named.

Carnival Cutbacks 

Repetition is not a good idea in proper names. Carnival and Cutback are two sides of the same coin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1