Fourth Excel Ship Ordered for a 2027 Delivery

1 hour ago, Theosprey247 said:

Panorama is scheduled to go on a 6/8 day rotation (with La Paz add), so the new ship could take over the route. 

I don’t see it in coming to the West Coast, there are only two ports that would work with that size ship, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. I am not sure how efficient tendering would be in Cabo and La Paz doesn’t have the infrastructure to support 6000 passengers. The town is 30 minutes from the pier and there is very little to do there, not many restaurants or shops. The on the water excursions are limited because the areas with the excellent snorkeling, sea lions and whale sharks are in a protected area of the Sea Of Cortez and only a small number of boats are allowed in daily. The famous Balandra Beach also has limited access with morning and afternoon sessions and it is an hour from the pier. Ensenada would be swamped with 6000 passengers plus it sucks anyway, lol! Sure would be nice though, I would be happy with the two ports and 4 sea days on a new Exel ship! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mz-s said:

Name speculation?

Has enough time passed to name her Carnival Fantasy? I would love if it could be.

I would like to see CCL continue the recycling of the older names. So, I would go with Carnivale, Festivale and Tropical for the next three new ships orders.  I hope some smaller ships are in the corporate plans in the coming years like RCCL.     

• Like 1

3 hours ago, starstruck05 said:

I still stand on the fact that New Orleans can support an Excel class ship. They are already working on the river to support larger ships. I guess I need to just be thankful that we get some Celebration Key sailings.

Not happening. Dream/Vista maybe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cksv said:

What’s crazy is that there will be two additional Icon class ships launching before this Excel class ship goes into service.

are the icon ships being built at the same shipyard?

41 minutes ago, mz-s said:

are the icon ships being built at the same shipyard?

Yes, all Icon-class ships are being built by Meyer Turku. The 2027 Excel ship will be from Meyer Werft.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jsglow said:

Interesting move and it will be interesting to see where they put her. Long Beach strikes me as a challenge but is the next logical choice unless you want 2 of the Excels working out of either Miami or PC replacing either Horizon or Vista as the #2 in their respective ports. IF the new build goes to any of those locations, I'd sure be pleased to see one of the Vistas or Dreams move to New Orleans as the 7 day replacing Liberty. And IF that can happen and there's further ship dancing without any immediate retirements, perhaps Liberty to Mobile and Spirit to San Juan?

Just spit ballin'.

Be nice to ahve a ship in SJ, even if only seasonal

• Like 5

13 hours ago, spencercoop said:

One of the problems I see putting the 4th Excel class in Long Beach is Cabo.  They would either have to do a Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Ensenada cruise or start tendering with the Excel class ships.

And then if they continue doing the 6/8 day rotation as they are going to start doing with the Panorama, where do they go for the 6 day cruises if they can't tender in Cabo?

The whole problem with LB is the limited ports

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

They could drop Cabo and add La Paz or some other port. 

Remember the experts also said they won’t put a Vista class in LB. 

Not an expert, just stating opinions based on facts.  

12 hours ago, pe4all said:

Biggest for me being Dream class- and even that is almost too large.   Sailed on Horizon - too big, though our Havana aft wrap made it okay.   Really like Conquest class.  Splendor and Spirit class are good for me, also.  I will no doubt try Venezia at some point, as NY is my homeport.   Sometimes bigger is not better - lol!

there are still a lot of options then.  I do get the smaller ship desire.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

I wonder what condition Sunshine is in places like the engines. I think they wanted to keep Ecstasy for longer but it needed 20-40 million dollar engine repairs (I can't remember the exact number) When it was beached it was all bright and in great condition from what you could see at least

Sad day

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

May the new ship will port in New Orleans.

No. The market won't support it.

It will be either Galveston or Port Canaveral, and I'd actually give a slight edge to Galveston.

New build to Galveston

Dream from Galveston to Norfolk

Sunshine from Norfolk to retired

If Sunshine isn't retired, I could see a fourth ship in Galveston year-round, with the seasonal Spirit-class ship headed elsewhere - that would be the best chance for New Orleans, although I think Miami may be more likely (which was supposed to happen before Spirit wound up being redeployed to Mobile). That would allow New Orleans to have a 4 or 5 day cruise departing every Saturday, Thursday, and Monday.

Just now, tidecat said:

It will be either Galveston or Port Canaveral, and I'd actually give a slight edge to Galveston.

New build to Galveston

If Sunshine isn't retired, I could see a fourth ship in Galveston year-round, with the seasonal Spirit-class ship headed elsewhere - that would be the best chance for New Orleans, although I think Miami may be more likely (which was supposed to happen before Spirit wound up being redeployed to Mobile). That would allow New Orleans to have a 4 or 5 day cruise departing every Saturday, Thursday, and Monday.

I'd love to see a Dream Class or newer vessel deployed to Norfolk. I am not excited with the Sunshine being there next year tbh.

• Like 2

Wasn't Royal dedicating a new Icon class to short private island cruises? Seems like a good way to grow the business. Capture higher priced fares for people who can only sail 4 days, at ports where they capture even more revenue. I don't know that I see the business case yet to put these in Galveston, New Orleans, or Long Beach. LB would need to redo it's fuel infrastructure. Good luck with that.

It also seems like Royal is ordering far more large ships than Carnival.

Edited by Joebucks
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, spencercoop said:

That's another possibility.  Royal Caribbean is starting to put Oasis class ships on the 3/4 day cruises.  I could possibly see Carnival putting one of the Excel class doing 3/4 day cruises to compete.  Or maybe even one of the Vista class ships.

I think it makes sense...  After several cruise on Mardi Gras & Celebration, it's hard to go back to the smaller ships will fewer amenities.  But, there's still a strong desire for some shorter sailings!  Also - Mardi Gras will be 6 or 7 years old by the time this new ship sails and the LNG infrastructure is already there in PC/Miami.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Wasn't Royal dedicating a new Icon class to short private island cruises? Seems like a good way to grow the business. Capture higher priced fares for people who can only sail 4 days, at ports where they capture even more revenue. I don't know that I see the business case yet to put these in Galveston, New Orleans, or Long Beach. LB would need to redo it's fuel infrastructure. Good luck with that.

The more I think about it, I agree with that plan. One of the Excels slides into a 5/5/4 role or maybe even into a 4/3 out of PC or Miami heading twice a week to Celebration Cay. THAT's a money maker. (Not a cruise for me so much, mind you.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tidecat said:

New build to Galveston

They already have a sister ship.  Are you suggesting they would get 2?  If so, I doubt that. Two consecutive new builds in the same port....do not think so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Royal has been busy on new builds and ALL big monstrosity of the seas.  Galveston is Carnival's most profitable port.  Huge demographics.  Good point on New Orleans and adding fuel capability, not my knowledge base by a long shot tho.  Possibly our resident expert can opine.  I do know the new ships can use either fuel, but doubt that is the answer. 

12 minutes ago, jsglow said:

The more I think about it, I agree with that plan. One of the Excels slides into a 5/5/4 role or maybe even into a 4/3 out of PC or Miami heading twice a week to Celebration Cay. THAT's a money maker. (Not a cruise for me so much, mind you.)

Cannot argue the logic, but something inside me cringes with a new build, doing short cruises and old iron doing longer....but that is just me.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Buck64 said:

My bet would be Fort Lauderdale.  Got to keep the traffic going to Celebration Key.  

That would require new contracts but would LOVE for them to go back to Port Everglades.  The reality is I doubt the economics work...

3 hours ago, tidecat said:

New build to Galveston

Galveston already has Jubilee. You're telling me it's getting both of the 2 most recent Excel class ships? Not happening. PC I could see though.

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Not an Icon class, but their brand new (final?) Oasis class ship Utopia of the Seas will be 4 day/weekend cruise. 

It's actually rumored RCCL's new class (after Icon) will be back to the smaller ships. Not sure how small, but significantly smaller than the Icon and Oasis class ships they've been building.

Maybe that user here can finally get off their "Monstrosity" soap box with their incessant, vexing complaing on the matter. We get it, you hate RCCL and love to hear yourself talk about how ugly their big ships are. Last I checked, this is the dedicated CCL subforum, but I digress.