Bringing soda and bottled water with you at Embarkation

abbysmaid

Sailing on the Silhouette on April 8. Have seen numerous conflicting information about Celebrity's current rules on bringing water and soda with us at embarkation. Anyone have any recent experience with this?

33 minutes ago, abbysmaid said:

Sailing on the Silhouette on April 8. Have seen numerous conflicting information about Celebrity's current rules on bringing water and soda with us at embarkation. Anyone have any recent experience with this?

I've seen a number of people ask about bring soda and water on the ship.  Just curious why do this, as it is all available on board?

I have brought water and soda with us to have in our cabin. Convenience of having it AND not having to spend the $$$$ that all cruise lines charge vs. the cost of bringing them with us at embarkation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liao said:

I've seen a number of people ask about bring soda and water on the ship.  Just curious why do this, as it is all available on board?

Flavors and certain brand items are 2 reasons, but the main reason, is the cost.  The price of the drink packages are out of the budget for some people.  Then you have $4.00 plus for bottled or canned water,  if you just buy it, and don't have the package.  Many pack their own cold cups, Yeti, Stanley,  and fill at the water/ice machine at the buffet.  

2 hours ago, abbysmaid said:

First, the water is excellent on the ship.

Second, on our cruise, you had to bring your  beverages with you onto the ship.  No longer could you just put a tag on it and have the porters send it through to your room.  But it does  help strengthen your arms and legs.  

• Like 1

I just heard this today. I guess it used to be that you could bring it in a carryon bag, but I called Celebrity today and was told that you have to physically carry on “as much soda and water as you can PHYSICALLY carry”!😳

1 hour ago, abbysmaid said:

I just heard this today. I guess it used to be that you could bring it in a carryon bag, but I called Celebrity today and was told that you have to physically carry on “as much soda and water as you can PHYSICALLY carry”!😳

My friend, they didn't actually literally mean all the soda or water that you could carry in your own hands.  It is what you can in a carry-on bag (shoulder bag, a grocery bag, a backpack, etc).  I have even seen babies being carried, and their stroller being pushed with 4 plus 12 packs of sods (but this was on Carnival).

I have to say that generally speaking, Celebrity passengers (and HAL passengers) usually don't bring soda along with them on their cruise.  Most passengers have a beverage package.  The folks who do to tend to bring (a lot) of soda onboard are Carnival passengers. 

2 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

My friend, they didn't actually literally mean all the soda or water that you could carry in your own hands.  It is what you can in a carry-on bag (shoulder bag, a grocery bag, a backpack, etc).  I have even seen babies being carried, and their stroller being pushed with 4 plus 12 packs of sods (but this was on Carnival).

I have to say that generally speaking, Celebrity passengers (and HAL passengers) usually don't bring soda along with them on their cruise.  Most passengers have a beverage package.  The folks who do to tend to bring (a lot) of soda onboard are Carnival passengers. 

That is why they call Carnival  "The Fun Ship".  

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Wow, aren’t we the respectful cruiser…

And, for the record, it was a representative from Celebrity, who re-emphasized to me on the phone today, three different times, that anything brought on board had to be PHYSICALLY carried on by the cruise passenger and not put into any type of backpack or carry-on luggage.

Be well. 

3 minutes ago, abbysmaid said:

And, for the record, it was a representative from Celebrity, who re-emphasized to me on the phone today, three different times, that anything brought on board had to be PHYSICALLY carried on by the cruise passenger and not put into any type of backpack or carry-on luggage.

Be well. 

Thank you for the well wishes.

To carry on your soda just means that it can't be in your checked luggage (luggage dropped off with a porter).  How you transport your soda while you go thru check-in is up to you.  As I said, a typical Celebrity passenger isn't carrying on their own soda.  It's not to say it doesn't happen, but its not a thing with Celebrity passengers.  Having said that, you have every right to do what makes your cruise as enjoyable as possible for yourself and your traveling companions.

4 hours ago, Liao said:

I've seen a number of people ask about bring soda on the ship.  Just curious why do this, as it is all available on board?

well, let's see. I can pay $7.99 for 12 beforehand or $3.50+ per 1 can of soda onboard.

We drink free water onboard. This will be the first time we'll bring soda onboard - only because we are staying in a hotel right across from Publix this time.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

4 hours ago, Liao said:

I would say cost unless you have all inclusive.

We  are def not Carnivore cruisers.. and  have been "regular X cruisers" since MERCURY..all classes of ships and room types..

We are not cheap, but like to come  prepared.. Some of the ships'  water has been just AWFUL since LLP..seems better now!

Of course bringing soda, water, &  snacks etc is a REGULAR Celeb thing..unless in a suite.but even then not like it used to be

We always  have a package but bring water of our own choice..just a few.  Turns out on ASCENT they did have btl water in AQ Class ( 2 per day)..tasted okay but not Spring water.."reverse osmosis"   We did not bloat.

we also brought gatorde in case we got sick.. hah we  came down with flu AFTER we got home .

Sometimes I bring V 8  in small cans if my blood sugar needs a lift!

We also bring  a few snacks & crackers.. No more canapes in AQ Class,  so we needed something in late afternoon!

we packed it all in a small thermal rectangle,  picnic/ beach bag..which we carried on ...worked out well!

whatever suits ur needs !  

Edited by hcat
  • Like 3

Abbysmaid,

we are sailing with you on 4/8 as the second leg of a B2B.  On turnaround day, we plan a trip to our favorite pizza place on A1A along with a trip to Publix to grab some Gatorade to keep in the cabin mini fridge.  No beverage package for this non-drinker so I will also have my water bottle to keep filled for excursions.  As long as I am in Publix, I’ll pick up some chips 😋.

See you onboard.

Susan

• Like 1

On Feb 3 we boarded Reflection with a thermos backpack with 15 cans of soda and 6 bottles of water, plus another soda in my carry on duffle. No one cared. Through the scanner and onboard.

Just do it. They won't throw you overboard because of how you are handling your carry ons.

On 2/13/2024 at 6:38 PM, abbysmaid said:

Be well. 

If you hang around here long enough, you'll learn that the phone reps aren't 100% reliable. 😉

44 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

If you hang around here long enough, you'll learn that the phone reps aren't 100% reliable. 😉

Ironically, I have been around long enough😉 so I called Celebrity again today just to see what response I got. The rep put me on hold a few times because he wanted to double check with his team leader. Again, I was told that waters and soda could be brought on board as long as they were physically carried on by the passenger and not brought on in any kind of backpack or carry-on luggage. He said that he understood that this was a frustrating recent change, but that it was now Celebrity’s  policy. Oh well…🤷🏻‍♀️ 

27 minutes ago, abbysmaid said:

Ironically, I have been around long enough😉 so I called Celebrity again today just to see what response I got. The rep put me on hold a few times because he wanted to double check with his team leader. Again, I was told that waters and soda could be brought on board as long as they were physically carried on by the passenger and not brought on in any kind of backpack or carry-on luggage. He said that he understood that this was a frustrating recent change, but that it was now Celebrity’s  policy. Oh well…🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Your cruise is about 8 weeks away. If this is a “recent change” it will be all over the board, probably with pictures, by Sunday. Look at the footstool thread. Any perceived bad news or benefit cut will spread like wildfire. Right now you’re reacting to classic RUMINT (rumor intelligence). The fact that it’s from an official source is not verification. The 10 posts between 11:59 am Saturday and 3:00 pm Sunday would be verification. 

Relax and expect to carry a bag. If they started enforcing this on Saturday, you’ve got 7 weeks for them to walk back a really dumb idea. Unless it’s the port, in which case it will be on EVERY board. 

• Like 1