Musings from the Beyond

Hello.  My intention, when I boarded on Friday was to start a live from.  However, because I have a class project to write, and other assignments, I decided instead to just do a thread where I'll post some observations, etc.  And answe questions.

But first, about this trip.  My sister and I booked this 10 day Southern Caribbean a couple of years ago, when we realized the 2023 cruise we'd booked had a date conflict.  (We ended up doing something different then).  Our ports are St. Maarten, Saint Lucia, Barbados, Antigua and St. Kitts.  Other than St. Maarten and sort of Barbados (right after they started sailing, so I couldn't really get past the terminal), they're all new.

The other thing of note is that my sister (Beth) has two torn tendons on one ankle, so she's staying on the ship.  We had tours booked in the new ports, and I've found a substitute.  

We're about 1/2 way through, and it's been very nice.  We're in a Sky suite, so todays post will be about the butler service.

We didn't meet our head butler until day 2, but he's been very visible since then.  On day 3, we called him to bring us a continental breakfast, and he and a room service guy brought it.  Starting the next day, we asked for a standing order of coffee and tea (no breakfast stuff) every day at 8:15.  Yesterday, it didn't come, so we called the butler and it arrived around 8:30,  Today, our dedicated room service person arrived on time.

We're also getting daily potato chips so far.

Yesterday,  I ran into our last dedicated butler (Summit April 2023) - he's now an assistant waiter, but starting around the 2nd week of March, he'll have his butler job back.  So, yes, in the next few months the sky suites are getting their butlers back, and it appears it will roll out from March to June.

So we're overall happy.

I'm up to about 6 staff members who I've sailed with before - Retreat manager (our concierge on the Silhouette), hotel manager (suite manager on Eclipse in 2019), assistant bar manager (our bartender and friend from Summit 2021), previously mentioned butler, and our waiter from both the Eclipse and Equinox, and one of the other butlers who recognised me.

So far, so good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Following with excitement, I'm on the same itinerary in March.  I've been on Beyond before so I know the ship.  Any port/excursion reviews or insight is greatly appreciated.

Have a GREAT cruise!!!! 🥂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abbydancer2003 said:

So, yes, in the next few months the sky suites are getting their butlers back, and it appears it will roll out from March to June.

Wait, is this breaking news? Are you implying that Celebrity has reversed course regarding Butler services for SS? I haven't read this anywhere else. 

6 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Wait, is this breaking news? Are you implying that Celebrity has reversed course regarding Butler services for SS? I haven't read this anywhere else. 

Breaking news, but here's another thread with the same information. I'm surprised it's gotten so few mentions/responses. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Seems to be the case, There are a number of posts the last day or so indicating that the butlers are coming back.

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for reporting from Beyond. We will be getting on when you get off. Seems like the return to the butler in SS will not be in effect for us. We also missed it on Ascent last month. Bummer.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Breaking news, but here's another thread with the same information. I'm surprised it's gotten so few mentions/responses. 

I am not implying a damn thing. It is a FACT. I am in a Sky Suite and have a butler. Any questions?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

Following with excitement, I'm on the same itinerary in March.  I've been on Beyond before so I know the ship.  Any port/excursion reviews or insight is greatly appreciated.

Have a GREAT cruise!!!! 🥂

Same.  Thanks @abbydancer2003

36 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I posted what Celebrity said regarding the butler return a few weeks ago. What’s being reported onboard seems to be tracking with their statement that by summer butlers would return. Still no indication if they’re planning a full reverse course or if the “returned” service will be any different from the past.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Greetings from the midpoint.  We're currently in our room watching The Holdovers, while we wait for our 8:30 reservation at Fine Cut.  Our Luminae Maitre'd says he'll stop by.  We'll see.

First, what I've done.  In Sint Maarten, I went with a couple to Maho beach (the one at the airport).  We walked around for a while and then came back.  

In Sint Lucia, I'd booked a tour called the Taste of St. Lucia through a tour company.  It was a visit to an old house that had a botanical garden, and some historical stuff and then we went to the kitchen area for some tastings.  

Today was Barbados, and I just walked out of the terminal for a bit, but it looks like there was nothing close, so I went back to the ship.  One note, we were parked behind a Costa ship, and it was a long walk out.  They do offer free shuttles.  

Both yesterday and today we were delayed in leaving due to  medical emergencies.  Yesterday, I know it was a broken hip.  Probably the same today.  

Tonight, when we started the movie, it asked for whose (is that spelled right?). account to use.  We stopped it, because it's been quite a while since I've watched one of theirs, so I tried calling the concierges to make sure we wouldn't be charged.  They didn't answer, so I figured I'd run up there.  At the elevator I ran into our head butler, who asked where I was going.  I told him, and he said no I wouldn't be charged and why didn't I call him about it.  So the good ones, still want to make sure we get the service we paid for.

I think that it will be about 3 weeks on this ship for the dedicated butlers to come back, but if you're on, and you get George, he's very responsive. 

Two more ports, two sea days and it's home to prepare for my mega trip in March.

• Like 4

On 2/13/2024 at 2:43 PM, kwokpot said:

There have been about 1/2 dozen posts about the Butlers returning.    I is complete on a couple ships and is rolling out fleet wise.   Suppose to be complete, I believe by end of March.

Some of the delay is getting some of their butlers back that have been reassigned or are no longer on ships.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 5:26 PM, abbydancer2003 said:

Greetings from the midpoint.  We're currently in our room watching The Holdovers, while we wait for our 8:30 reservation at Fine Cut.  Our Luminae Maitre'd says he'll stop by.  We'll see.

First, what I've done.  In Sint Maarten, I went with a couple to Maho beach (the one at the airport).  We walked around for a while and then came back.  

In Sint Lucia, I'd booked a tour called the Taste of St. Lucia through a tour company.  It was a visit to an old house that had a botanical garden, and some historical stuff and then we went to the kitchen area for some tastings.  

Today was Barbados, and I just walked out of the terminal for a bit, but it looks like there was nothing close, so I went back to the ship.  One note, we were parked behind a Costa ship, and it was a long walk out.  They do offer free shuttles.  

Both yesterday and today we were delayed in leaving due to  medical emergencies.  Yesterday, I know it was a broken hip.  Probably the same today.  

Tonight, when we started the movie, it asked for whose (is that spelled right?). account to use.  We stopped it, because it's been quite a while since I've watched one of theirs, so I tried calling the concierges to make sure we wouldn't be charged.  They didn't answer, so I figured I'd run up there.  At the elevator I ran into our head butler, who asked where I was going.  I told him, and he said no I wouldn't be charged and why didn't I call him about it.  So the good ones, still want to make sure we get the service we paid for.

I think that it will be about 3 weeks on this ship for the dedicated butlers to come back, but if you're on, and you get George, he's very responsive. 

Two more ports, two sea days and it's home to prepare for my mega trip in March.

Appreciate your musings as we will be on the Beyond for the first time April/May. Any issues with noise in your cabin as others have reported? Also, great news on the return of dedicated butlers in SS and is George from one of the islands as we may have met him as the butler on Edge last spring for the folks next door to our cabin. We had Walter who is a gem, is still a dedicated butler but will not be on Beyond. 

Hi

I'll have more tonight, but some quick things.

Yes, there's some creaking in our room.  Not enough to bother me, but someone in a Magic Carpet suite reported lots of it.

George is from India, and for all intents and purposes might have been our dedicated butler.

And they are definately doing the roll out on Edge class.  No idea when S or M will start.

• Thanks 1