Carnival Venezia

I cruised with Carnival six times. On Feb. 11th we were supposed to leave on a cruise for 12 days, but on the 8th our travel agent called to tell us my husband was removed from the ship. He had to email security to let them know they made a mistake. He did that. We never heard from them, so our TA called us Saturday evening to tell me he would have to cancel my sailing or they would charge me as a no show. This is after I called Carnival several times  between the  8th and the 11th and  they kept telling us there was nothing they could do. It was security we needed to contact. As you can see, we never were able to sail because they didn't  contact us till Tuesday the 13th. They wanted to apologize to us for making a mistake. I am out my transportation fee because they don't give that back to me because it's a private bus. 

So they mess up my birthday and Valentines Day vacation from my husband and we are out some money. I will not deal with Carnival ever again.

Sorry to hear you lost your cruise.  Did you check in online without any problem?  If so, what made CCL remove him at the last minute?  Was it homeland security that removed him?  And who contacted you - security or Carnival?  You can put in a claim with travel insurance for the cancellation/bus if you have it, along with any other money lost.  Is Carnival offering you anything (obc, future cruise credit) for "their" mistake?  Hopefully the answer is yes.

Edited by pe4all
  • Like 1

Carnival offered us nothing. Just an apology! We have a son and nephew with the same name and bad records but they just said they mixed up the birthdays. 
   They could have done this 4 months ago after final payment. Not 3 days before the cruise. This was all Carnival.

1 hour ago, First Aider said:

Carnival offered us nothing. Just an apology! We have a son and nephew with the same name and bad records but they just said they mixed up the birthdays. 
   They could have done this 4 months ago after final payment. Not 3 days before the cruise. This was all Carnival.

That's one heck of a mix-up.  

Edited by pe4all
  • Like 2

Surely CCL refunded you what you paid them. As unfortunate as it is, I can understand them not refunding you transportation that was not purchased through them, but not the cruise fare.

Sorry this happened; simple mistake like a birthday does not speak well for CCL security.

• Like 1

So I'm really confused.

'tell us my husband was removed from the ship'

Was he removed from the ship that he was physically on at the time or was he denied future boarding?

'He had to email security to let them know they made a mistake. He did that. We never heard from them'

So IF he had been denied future boarding, was this a mistaken identity matter? What specifically was the 'mistake'? Should a boarding denial have been properly directed toward your nephew, for example? (Not to implicate him, just an example.)

they (Carnival) kept telling us there was nothing they could do. It was security we needed to contact...... we never were able to sail because they (Security) didn't  contact us till Tuesday the 13th. They wanted to apologize to us for making a mistake. 

This to me looks like the operative information. 'Security' is NOT Carnival. It's the US Department of Homeland Security if I'm not mistaken. Your husband was denied boarding because he was rightly or wrongly flagged by them. And USHC isn't going to examine the prospective manifest until a few days before the cruise. Carnival was thus prohibited from allowing him to board. Also, I'm sure eligibility to board is the sole responsibility of the guest under one's Cruise Contract, regardless if it was a mistake or not, in a way like showing up without a Passport when one is required triggers zero refund.

It seems to me your next step is to determine EXACTLY why he was flagged and whether it was truly an error. Unfortunately, this has you necessarily dealing with the US government. Carnival is outside the loop going forward. Their hands were effectively tied. And I'm sure their standard policy is to deny refunds to anyone denied boarding by Homeland Security. 

Good luck in your efforts. I'm so sorry your cruise was impacted.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, jsglow said:

... (Carnival) kept telling us there was nothing they could do. It was security we needed to contact...... we never were able to sail because they (Security) didn't  contact us till Tuesday the 13th. They wanted to apologize to us for making a mistake. 

...Also, I'm sure eligibility to board is the sole responsibility of the guest under one's Cruise Contract, regardless if it was a mistake or not, in a way like showing up without a Passport when one is required triggers zero refund.

It seems to me your next step is to determine EXACTLY why he was flagged and whether it was truly an error. Unfortunately, this has you necessarily dealing with the US government. Carnival is outside the loop going forward. Their hands were effectively tied. And I'm sure their standard policy is to deny refunds to anyone denied boarding by Homeland Security. 

I do agree Passenger "mishaps" would be reason for Carnival to not refund. However, if it was a Carnival rep that made the statement acknowledging an error had been made which was NOT the passenger's error, I would expect Carnival to issue a refund.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I do agree Passenger "mishaps" would be reason for Carnival to not refund. However, if it was a Carnival rep that made the statement acknowledging an error had been made which was NOT the passenger's error, I would expect Carnival to issue a refund.

I don't disagree if this was truly a Homeland Security error. I suspect proper documentation regarding any error acknowledged by Homeland Security might be the first step.

• Like 3

You should have gotten the security phone number, not just emailed them. I know that sometimes when they run a name it could be on a list that carnival has. It wouldn't have been DHS. If someone is on an offenders list they will be taken off.

This came from Carnival Cruise lines, not Homeland Security. They said they had the wrong birthday for him and it was a mistake. Tuesday was the day they asked me for a gov’t issued ID. They they told us it was a mistake. 
  They would not give us their phone numbers, they said we had to email them!

17 minutes ago, theanoy said:

Just asking.  Do you sail with a passport or birth certificate?  Would a passport be better in this situation?  

My guess is paperwork issues like this could happen either way, since Carnival doesn't actually look at the documents until you arrive at the pier.

OP's best chance for getting someone at Carnival to care about this issue is to ask JH on his facebook page. Hopefully he can pass on the issue to someone who will actually listen and follow up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot believe Carnival will not return our money for our transportation because it's a private bus. I realize in the contract it does state they do not return it, but I think if you make a mistake by removing my husband from the ship then you should pay for it. Why do I have to be out $234.00 for their mistake. 

We were sailing with 5 other couples, and we rented a big bus. Bad enough my birthday and Valentines Day gift didn't happen. This trip (that I didn't take) cost me money that I can't get back.

What's worse is they cancelled him 3 days before the cruise. Then it took them too long to check the information they got wrong. All I want from them is my bus fare.

Thanks for letting me vent, and I hope they never do this to anyone else. 

Rhena ( First Aider )                                

• Like 4

I don't know that Carnival would be responsible for your privately arranged transportation to and from the port.  If Carnival indeed caused your husband to miss the bus, then he may have a claim for his "bus" fare. But it seems you could have sailed and elected not to go.  I know, you wanted to cruise with your husband and friends, but in Carnival's eyes, you could have still took the bus and cruised. 

But we would want to hear more of the story.  Why did Carnival inform your husband days before the cruise that he wasn't allowed to board? And how was it ultimately resolved?  Did Carnival refund both of your cruise fares or give you a Future Cruise Credit?  

It sucks to miss a vacation, but hopefully the situation is now resolved, minus bus fare. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, First Aider said:

if you make a mistake by removing my husband from the ship                          

This is the most unhinged thing I've seen on this website, ever, and I need to know everything about it.

If your husband "found out" enough to get kicked off the ship, he doesn't deserve anything back. Full stop.

12 hours ago, lazydayz said:

I don't know that Carnival would be responsible for your privately arranged transportation to and from the port.  If Carnival indeed caused your husband to miss the bus, then he may have a claim for his "bus" fare. But it seems you could have sailed and elected not to go.  I know, you wanted to cruise with your husband and friends, but in Carnival's eyes, you could have still took the bus and cruised. 

But we would want to hear more of the story.  Why did Carnival inform your husband days before the cruise that he wasn't allowed to board? And how was it ultimately resolved?  Did Carnival refund both of your cruise fares or give you a Future Cruise Credit?  

It sucks to miss a vacation, but hopefully the situation is now resolved, minus bus fare. 

Carnival did refund the money for the cruise, but not the transportation. They offered us an apology only.

They got my husband confused with my son. They have different birthdays, but never checked it till after the cruise left. We payed in full in November. Why wasn’t it checked then. Then 3 days before the trip they remove him. No explanation at all. We contact them the same day but they don’t return the email until 2 days after the ship left. And with only an apology, they made a mistake with the birthdays. They had my husbands birthday in November. Why didn't they check it?

Someone screwed up royally and it wasn’t us. They didn’t even offer us free drinks on another trip. I just want my money for the bus!!!!

15 hours ago, First Aider said:

I cannot believe Carnival will not return our money for our transportation because it's a private bus. I realize in the contract it does state they do not return it, but I think if you make a mistake by removing my husband from the ship then you should pay for it. Why do I have to be out $234.00 for their mistake. 

We were sailing with 5 other couples, and we rented a big bus. Bad enough my birthday and Valentines Day gift didn't happen. This trip (that I didn't take) cost me money that I can't get back.

What's worse is they cancelled him 3 days before the cruise. Then it took them too long to check the information they got wrong. All I want from them is my bus fare.

Thanks for letting me vent, and I hope they never do this to anyone else. 

Rhena ( First Aider )                                

I agree with you 100%. It's their mistake so why should you be out anything. It's bad enough you missed the cruise with your friends. That money is a drop in the bucket to them and has cost them the loss of two customers. Regardless of what the rules say, they should have done the right thing.