SeaSick on Symphony Of the Seas

Lower and middle of the ship have the least motion, think of a teeter totter. That being said I prefer higher, but mid ship will have less motion.

I bring some generic pills from Kroger or wherever you shop just in case. You might hit turbulence. I found some ginger beer onboard harmony, with extra ginger. Ginger supposedly helps settle your tummy.

I tend to get motion sickness pretty easily so I use meclizine, 25mg.  It's cheap.  Says it can make you drowsy so I take one every night.  I start the night before the cruise and take for two days after I'm home.  If it's really rough seas or I'm doing something in the port that might make me feel ill, I'll take another in the morning.  Never had a problem.  Even on the days when there are sickness bags hanging everywhere just in case.

Don't assume you will get seasick, but also don't assume you won't. On my last cruise (on the much smaller Vision), there were people who were utterly miserable, and other who took nothing and were totally fine. I am (very luckily) in the take nothing and be fine category, but my friends were miserable when they tried to forego their scopolamine patches for a few hours.

Yes. It is possible to get seasick on any ship, on any cruiseline, and in any ocean or sea on the planet. 

I got seasick on a dinner cruise boat on Lake Michigan once. And we weren't even at "sea".

Edited by stobe1
  • Like 1

It's possible to get seasick on any cruise.  I pre-medicate with meclizine and take it everyday regardless of ship size or seas.  We were on Wonder in Jan for a b2b.  First week was smooth, second was not but it wasn't the worst I've been in.  I was fine, but there were people who were seasick.  Never, ever assume you can't or won't get seasick.  Everyone has their motion.  

• Like 1

On our first cruise my wife and I took meclizine because we were afraid we might get seasick.  1 hour after boarding we were so zonked that we went to the cabin and slept the entire afternoon until dinner time.  We have never taken any since and have been on several cruises where at least one day/night we experienced the boat rocking pretty hard, hard enough that it was sometimes difficult to walk a straight line through the hallways.  Neither of us have ever gotten seasick on a cruise.  

Now, I was horribly seasick on a charter fishing trip one time so I know I am not entirely immune. 

My advice would be to take some seasick supplies with you but don't use them unless you need them.

If you get seasick on an Oasis class ship (extremely unlikely) cruising is probably not your thing. That being said, avoid cruising in January and February as those two months pose the greater likelihood of choppier water. As others said, book a cabin lowest level mid ship. They sell sea bands that go around your wrist, I would suggest wearing those versus having patches stuck to your neck, getting the runs from green apples, burping up nasty ginger pills or sleeping the entire cruise away from using Dramamine. 

Edited by rolloman

36 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

Actually, they are more likely to movement in rougher seas!

That's debatable but my comment was mainly due to the itineraries O class ships typically have.

I just came off Symphony.  A few patches of higher seas here and there in the wind near Aruba- we did Southern Caribbean.  Honestly it was nearly impossible most of the time to feel ANY motion on the ship at all.  Rock stable.  I was impressed with how smooth it was.  We were in the center on the highest deck (17).  But all over the ship it was unusual to feel any motion.  I know anything can happen at sea, but this ship is a very good choice to avoid motion.  We brought some ginger chews just in case, but never had a need to use them.  Several of the shops on board carried motion sickness medications up near the checkouts.

3 hours ago, jeffr6596 said:

On our first cruise my wife and I took meclizine because we were afraid we might get seasick.  1 hour after boarding we were so zonked that we went to the cabin and slept the entire afternoon until dinner time.  We have never taken any since and have been on several cruises where at least one day/night we experienced the boat rocking pretty hard, hard enough that it was sometimes difficult to walk a straight line through the hallways.  Neither of us have ever gotten seasick on a cruise.  

Now, I was horribly seasick on a charter fishing trip one time so I know I am not entirely immune. 

My advice would be to take some seasick supplies with you but don't use them unless you need them.

You should take them before you get sick.  But, the best tip I can give anyone who has the drowsiness side effect is to just take it before bed.  Start the night before the cruise and then every 24 hours.  I have zero side effects from meclizine.  I can drink and it doesn't make me drowsy.  

3 hours ago, rolloman said:

If you get seasick on an Oasis class ship (extremely unlikely) cruising is probably not your thing. That being said, avoid cruising in January and February as those two months pose the greater likelihood of choppier water. As others said, book a cabin lowest level mid ship. They sell sea bands that go around your wrist, I would suggest wearing those versus having patches stuck to your neck, getting the runs from green apples, burping up nasty ginger pills or sleeping the entire cruise away from using Dramamine. 

The O class is still a lot smaller than the ocean.  Anyone can get sick on any size ship.  Some are more prone than others, but even the most seasoned sailors can find a particular motion that does them in.  My DH is a retired US Navy Captain and believe me, he's seen people get sick who never have before because of a particular sea motion.

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

In general, the lower down and closer to the center of the ship you are, the less motion there will be.

But, who stays in their cabin 24 hours a day?   

5 minutes ago, BND said:

But, who stays in their cabin 24 hours a day?   

I would hope nobody!  But I would think most people spend a fairly significant amount of time in their cabin, and I was providing advice for choosing a cabin that has less motion and would thus be less likely to cause seasickness.

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I would hope nobody!  But I would think most people spend a fairly significant amount of time in their cabin, and I was providing advice for choosing a cabin that has less motion and would thus be less likely to cause seasickness.

Most people shower and sleep in their cabins, but the majority of the day, most are out and about.  We're in our 60's and I'd say we spend at least 2/3 of our day out of the cabin.  The point though is if you are out and about at locations throughout the ship and feel sick, how much fun is that?   Both times I've been seasick I've been out doing normal cruise things like eating or at a show or in a lounge.  We've always had higher deck cabins because we book JS and sometimes they are not in the center.  

Edited by BND

1 minute ago, BND said:

Most people shower and sleep in their cabins, but the majority of the day, most are out and about.  We're in our 60's and I'd say we spend at least 2/3 of our day out of the cabin.

Ok good for you.  What I said is still true, that being lower down and closer to the center of the ship provides less motion.

Edited by time4u2go

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Ok good for you.  What I said is still true, that being lower down and closer to the center of the ship provides less motion.

I never said that wasn't true, what I said was that unless you plan to be in your cabin 24 hours a day, you need to be prepared so you can actually enjoy your cruise.