AA changes how it issues award miles to preferred travel agencies. Will this include EZ Air?

milolii

I’m posting this here as I think it’s possible EZ Air tickets will be affected.  

I received  an email this morning from AA.  Effective for Flights Ticketed  after May 1, 2024. It states passengers will only earn award miles when they :

Book directly with American and our eligible partner airlines 

Booked through our preferred travel agencies.

There are also exceptions for some corporate/business travelers.

The list of “preferred travel agencies”  will be released later.  

Will EZ Air be on the list? 
Are United, Delta, SW next? 

Here is an article I found

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/other/american-makes-big-changes-to-earning-miles-jacks-up-bag-fees/ar-BB1iBnTW

Edited by milolii
Finish

• milolii changed the title to AA changes how it issues award miles to preferred travel agencies. Will this include EZ Air?

EZ Air is a consolidator. No AA list yet. My guess is that flights booked through consolidators will not earn miles. But, who knows what kind of deals these companies will make with the individual airlines. 

I go out of my way to not fly American because I have choices where I live.  I can understand the disappointment of others who don't have other options.  Given the dirt cheap prices I've paid on my EZAir flights, I'm OK with the change if/when other airlines adopt this policy.  The airlines make very little money off of the fares I've paid through EZAir.  For all we know, AA's plan could backfire as Delta's did when they decided to change the way fliers accrued milage.

• Like 1

Not miles but how AA handles upgrades bought on EZAIR. My AA flight was $1475 and I was about to request ticketing UNTIL I checked the price to upgrade to economy plus, limited PE seats available. That was $1470. So I switched to UA paying $1480 for the flight & $229 or 22k miles to upgrade. 2nd row in Preferred Economy section: Rows before & after also PE. Sorry, I need the leg room. Plus my miles show pndg in my UA app.

Yes, I'm done with AA & BA (when BA canceled my upgraded seat on a canceled flight I couldn't get a refund of the upgrade pd bc I agreed to a regular economy seat on AA)

Just my opinion...but once you are ticketed and can "see" your booking on the airline website I would think that you should be able to plug in your FF miles number.  Whether or not they decide to actually apply any mileage credit....???

2 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

AA das decided they don't want leisure travelers any more.

Obviously you have not been following the AA changes over the last couple of years.  
It is true that they want you to book on line via AA.com.  
Major emphasis on earning miles with charge cards and shopping.  Mostly focused on Credit Card spending.

Does anyone know the name of the consolidator that Princess or other cruise lines use?

Edited by jagoffee

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

AA has also announced that for tickets purchased after today passengers will pay more for checked bags…from $30 for the first bag to $40 although when pre-paying it’s $35.

All you need in one of their charge cards and you and the others on your reservation get one bag for free.

36 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

All you need in one of their charge cards and you and the others on your reservation get one bag for free.

Thanks…I have previously used that chargecard benefit however we now rarely fly on AA. Most of our flights are on Hawaiian between Maui & the Mainland and their chargecard has 2 free bags for the card owner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I don't believe this applies if you book with EZ air. Perhaps if you pay for the cruise and air with an AA credit card?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, milolii said:

I’m posting this here as I think it’s possible EZ Air tickets will be affected.  

I received  an email this morning from AA.  Effective for Flights Ticketed  after May 1, 2024. It states passengers will only earn award miles when they :

Book directly with American and our eligible partner airlines 

Booked through our preferred travel agencies.

There are also exceptions for some corporate/business travelers.

The list of “preferred travel agencies”  will be released later.  

Will EZ Air be on the list? 
Are United, Delta, SW next? 

Here is an article I found

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/other/american-makes-big-changes-to-earning-miles-jacks-up-bag-fees/ar-BB1iBnTW

I guess we'll have to wait until sometime after May 1 for someone to get ticketed through EZ Air. Once ticketed I think you'd be able to call AA and find out if your ticket would earn miles.

I have noticed we already earn significantly less miles on AA with EZ Air tickets because the miles awarded are really based on spend, not actual miles flown.

2 hours ago, Teechur said:

I don't believe this applies if you book with EZ air. Perhaps if you pay for the cruise and air with an AA credit card?

Things might change in the future, but with AA you do not need to use an AA Credit Card to purchased your ticket.  This is true with United airlines.