TigerB (not at all) live from Iona (G404 - Portugal, Spain, and Canaries)

TigerB

9 hours ago, TigerB said:

Day 6 - Thursday 22nd February - Santa Cruz de Tenerife (Part 2 - afternoon & evening)

When we got back onboard, me and our lass attended Taste 360 for a spot of lunch; a deck burger and some salad for her, a veggie burger for me. I ordered a pint of Punk IPA and a large lime and soda from Laguna. The cost: £8.95, so that was £1.30 for the dash of lime cordial.  That's been three times now at different bars where we have been charged so much for a dash of lime; later that day I attended Reception and requested an appointment with the Assistant F&B Manager.

We took our drinks and chilled out for a while on deck 18, until the kids got back onboard and disturbed our peace.🙄

Our lass was a bit wiped out by now, so I took her back to the cabin, got her settled, and I went to the Beachcomber area to write some notes and crop photos.

Tonight's dinner for us two was at Beach House; the kids were at Sindhu. They later said that they enjoyed it more than they did on Britannia sixteen months earlier.

Our dining time was 19:30, so much later than we normally eat. We were seated at a two-seater near to the window, which was 30cm from a four-seater; thankfully, that remained empty throughout our meal.

Our waiting team were Clarah and Maria.

Our lass had a Rekorderlig strawberry & lime cider, and I wanted a pint of Punk IPA, which they don't sell in the Crystal bar, which serves Beach House, but do sell in the Laguna bar at the other side of the Skydome.  I asked Maria if it would be okay for her to get me the pint from the Laguna bar. She replied that she would not go and get it, but had a boy to do that for her; she then called over Christian. She said, "This is my runner, he loves to run out for drinks for me".  Good lad!😀

Before I post pics, I just want to ask:

Is it just me, or does anyone think that the Beach House menu on Iona and Arvia is in need of a refresh?

Anyway, we ate...

Starters:

Our lass...

IMG_20240222_1930534483.thumb.jpg.09a8f108cdfb439b2f8f7c4b1b456cdd.jpgIMG_20240222_1945212272.thumb.jpg.1383adf3b97fa6a98abf80617e1f5944.jpg

Me...

IMG_20240222_1931060272.thumb.jpg.bf094ce8f20132619d7ddb1350176b48.jpgIMG_20240222_1945284222.thumb.jpg.a556611a8b5b71c497d02eb17f886680.jpg

Mains:

Our lass...

IMG_20240222_1931547452.thumb.jpg.4ed81d31a4dac5f748adbe0f1d35b60e.jpgIMG_20240222_201631087_HDR2.thumb.jpg.7a631ad31539ec17c79bdcd7147c7362.jpg

She had the lava block version 
IMG_20240222_202114068_HDR2.thumb.jpg.09225667d0914c6444eeb9cb216e5f9a.jpg

Me...

IMG_20240222_1931238833.thumb.jpg.721d79edb413ec672069bb9fde67c260.jpgIMG_20240222_2016418152.thumb.jpg.6e398a154688f3e639688e97b79a5482.jpg

Desserts:

Our lass...

IMG_20240222_1932221262.thumb.jpg.44fb5de1345e2ac034e1ff1b9e54b30c.jpgIMG_20240222_2057456952.thumb.jpg.3e72f0c7cd9f635a34986a65c1b337e3.jpg

She wasn't that hungry after her steak, and didn't really fancy a dessert. But being a Yorkshire lass, and paying £7 odd for three courses, she was going to have three courses. She picked at hers and guess who had the leavings!🙄

Me...

IMG_20240222_1932365872.thumb.jpg.496221a903fd3410f1378c88c30f4dae.jpgIMG_20240222_2057313092.thumb.jpg.73ca4e95ba0d0c8c607ea7457bee125e.jpg

We were both quite full after that, so we retired to the cabin to veg out and watch a film.

You have made my day Tiger. We board on this coming Saturday and have booked the Beach House for the first night. On the website Beach House menu there is no mention of the lava steak but you have confirmed that it is still being served. Thanks for that. Your comments on pickpockets in Tenerife duly noted and extra care will be taken. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

@TigerB how far uphill, and how steep was the slope to get to those parks you visited. We have only been up that main shopping street to the first road crossing, but might be tempted to try it, if it's not too tiring for a doddering octogenarian pushing a wheelchair.

At a steady pace John, you should manage it.

I'll set a reminder for when we get home to post you a map with the best route.

You're not going just yet, are you?

Just now, mrsgoggins said:

+ 1

What a tail. I enlarged the photo and looked on enviously for ages!  

The thing with having such a fluffy pussy is that no matter how well I roller our clothes, we always take some of her away with us,,😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, TigerB said:

@mrsgoggins and @Red Ray, we saw this little beauty this morning; he/she lives in a government building not far from the port; as far as could make out, it was The Ministry Of Finance...

Maybe we should put her in charge of UK finances, she'd probably do a better job!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, TigerB said:

At a steady pace John, you should manage it.

I'll set a reminder for when we get home to post you a map with the best route.

You're not going just yet, are you?

Thank you that will be very helpful, we will be there on Iona's mid March cruise.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Selbourne said:

What a relief. From the opening comments of your post I thought that some disaster had befallen you. What a lovely surprise (again). Our kids have said that they are always happy to join us on our cruises …… as long as we pay 🤔🤔 

We’re treating our 3 and their partners to a Fjords cruise in a few months. Can’t wait! 

• Like 5

Just now, Ardennais said:

We’re treating our 3 and their partners to a Fjords cruise in a few months. Can’t wait! 

That’s exactly what we did last year and they all loved it (first cruise for both our daughters partners). Thankfully we only have two. That’s costly enough 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Another rare live post...

We're back onboard after two great days in Lisbon. The weather was gorgeous, if a fair bit windy. It was made even more special and memorable by our eldest daughter and our son-in-law surprising us.

We're just enjoying a drink on deck 18 near the Beachcomber bar...

IMG_20240228_154938444_HDR2.thumb.jpg.31cab13666e3cca1d13c22d33d7960bc.jpg

@Selbourne, I did ask for an ambient one but they don't have any onboard; apparently Aurora have them all 😲

Edited by TigerB
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, TigerB said:

I've not noticed this shop in the Lisbon terminal before...

IMG_20240228_0954203242.thumb.jpg.240c6bee6c877204bc0501f5cc4e7c76.jpg

@Selbourne, they appear to be targeting you, me and a few others who are married to magpies! 🙄

I have never seen so many jewellery shops as there are in the Caribbean ports, especially ‘Diamonds International’ who are everywhere. Thankfully Lady S won’t even look at anything that’s not from Tiffany and we’ve only seen one of their shops this whole cruise and it was ‘Opening Soon’ 👍😅 I can’t imagine that there’s one in the Azores 🙏😂

• Haha 6

Just now, Selbourne said:

I have never seen so many jewellery shops as there are in the Caribbean ports, especially ‘Diamonds International’ who are everywhere. Thankfully Lady S won’t even look at anything that’s not from Tiffany and we’ve only seen one of their shops this whole cruise and it was ‘Opening Soon’ 👍😅 I can’t imagine that there’s one in the Azores 🙏😂

When we did a Caribbean cruise in 2018, there was a Tiffany's in either Curacao or Aruba, I can't recall which; they were the first two port calls. I recall her seeing it and mentioning about going in on the return to the ship. But we didn't; with her 'MS brain' as she calls it, she forgot, and I simply 'forgot' to remind her! 🫢

I said there was one on Barbados; it turns out there wasn't.  By hell, did I get some earache on that cruise?🙄

We've not been back to Curacao or Aruba since (he breathes a sigh of relief!)

• Haha 9

11 hours ago, sandancer said:

You have made my day Tiger. We board on this coming Saturday and have booked the Beach House for the first night. On the website Beach House menu there is no mention of the lava steak but you have confirmed that it is still being served. Thanks for that. Your comments on pickpockets in Tenerife duly noted and extra care will be taken. 

This was my Lava block steak in the Beach house on our cruise on Iona January 13-27.

The king prawns on the side were delicious too.

IMG_20240120_183846.jpg

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I recall being told that the cruise companies own a lot of the shops in the Caribbean ports (and also in Alaska) which is why you find the same shops everywhere

• Thanks 1

On 2/29/2024 at 10:36 AM, Windsurfboy said:

TigerB did you notice on a 2 week cruise does epicurean menu change. 

Yes, they do.

The one that is online (menu 1) is the first week. Funnily enough, menu 2 is the second week 

• Haha 1

We're back home now. Left the ship at 08:10, and drove away from the port at 08:40. Did a bit of a shop and got in the door at 14:30 to find the kids had been in and put up birthday deccies.

I ramped the heating up, made us both a butty (the Quays was shut), and have just picked up CoCo.

Just chilling a little bit before I take the cases upstairs.

I see I've got some catching up to do; I'll post a few days worth later, as they are ready to go, and I'll get to the others over the next few days.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

We’re on Tiger. Had a little luggage panic as we boarded at 12.45 and bags arrived with us by 17.15. We’ve got a lovely aft de luxe balcony. Off to the Beach House now for steak and prawns. Unfortunately there is no chance of me continuing with your blog. I don’t have the flair for it like you. I’ve really enjoyed reading your posts and you made the anticipation of the cruise way better than usual. Thanks again. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @sandancer, and enjoy your cruise.  Hopefully, you will get online now and again and be able to read my remaining posts, when I finally publish them.

Enjoy your meal in Beach House. If you haven't yet arrived when you read this, ask for a table in Maria's section.  She is absolutely outstanding.

• Like 1

Welcome home TigerB and Welcome Home to CoCo.  Poor soul.  Left whilst you go gallivanting.  No doubt you’ll be getting the cold shoulder - or the full back-turn - for a day or two

I look forward to the remainder of your report.  Thanks so much for doing it

Newspaper sales will soar once you’ve done, and Selbourne is home and our Donkey friend on Arvia finishes his holiday.  We’ll need something to read in the mornings

• Like 3
  • Haha 5