Maleth confirms end of P&O partnership

minsterman

56 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Consumer law in the U.K. is indeed limited.

I always thought that the consumer rights act 2015 would have more impact than it has, particularly the unfair terms section. If a term in a contract is challenged and held to be one sided or just unfair it won’t be upheld, There seem to be few who challenge though. 

It introduced the notion of 'good faith' to avoid any significant imbalance in mutual rights and obligations.

There was a further review of this area in 2016 and a call for evidence but I’m not sure what happened with it. It was looking specifically as things like small print, length and clarity of documents etc.. It also looked specifically at the point you make about people not reading T&Cs if they are simply asked to tick a box or if those T&Cs are too long and complex.

The test used to be regarding reasonableness " what would the man on the Clapham omnibus think? ". The man in the street.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zap99 said:

We have flown hundreds of times and have never experienced one airline being swapped for another. We booked our Britannia cruise yonks ago by phone. We will not fly longhaul in economy, various reasons, but mainly comfort. When we booked quite early that was to secure PE seats. On the phone the booking agent at P&O said " yes, lots if premium seats still available ". If she gad told me, sorry, we haven't even got a plane yet we wouldn't have booked at all. We cancelled and forfeited the 10% deposit.

Agreed and seconded. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Thank you Megabear2 for your insightful comments. There are some quite nasty posts too on their Twitter(X) page too. Sadly people just don’t seem to accept the overall picture. Seems the more the T &C ‘s are explained the more they push back. As you say at the end of the day the the reality  was a less glamorous flight or no flight and a cancelled cruise. I hadn’t realised either the small numbers that would actually be affected by the P E debacle. I feel sorry for someone who couldn’t entertain themselves for the flight with a book, magazine , puzzle etc.. what do people do if they don’t like the entertainment on offer ? Controversial I know but I think it’s right people should lose their deposit if they cancel. That’s how non refundable deposits work. I’ve cancelled cruises I had booked ages ago for small / full deposits when I no longer wanted them. When I booked I knew I would loose that money but was happy to lock in that cruise/ price just in case. 

Without being controversial and to set the record straight. We are one of that small number and our preference for PE sprang from a desire for comfort, being of a nervous flier disposition. Of course we are well able to entertain ourselves, but not willing to be very uncomfortable on a long flight glamorous or otherwise.  We cancelled due to lack of PE and thankfully only lost a relatively small deposit. I agree that a deposit should be forfeited if you decide you no longer like the trip, but in this case the lack of PE is a fundamental change which goes to the root of the contract, so really P&O are obliged to repay any money already handed over for PE, we hadn’t done so, but it appears others had. 

• Like 3

This is slightly off topic, but I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this aspect of our TUI Airways flights to and from Birmingham next March. In the Itinerary section of my.pocruises.com, it says this about transfers when we arrive in Barbados:

Things To Know

You will be met at the airport after baggage reclaim and customs for your shared transfer to the cruise port. Your transfer is valid on your day of arrival and is non-transferable and non-refundable.

But, on the Flights section on another page, it says this:

'For our Caribbean fly-cruises, those travelling on TUI Airways charter flight will not need to collect their baggage on arrival; it will be collected on your behalf and delivered to your cabin. Those travelling on scheduled flights will need to collect hold luggage on arrival at the airport.'

My question is, do we assume we have to collect our luggage, as stated in Things To Know, or, might our  flight be chartered and, therefore we don't need to?

There are 6 of us going on our cruise, we booked it as a group booking but each of the 3 couples had seperate booking references, today I found out from our TA that our 4 freinds have been changed from TUI to Maleth, this of course will now cause a few problems, the maleth flight is 2 hours ahead of our TUI flights and as we are all going on one minibus it will mean we will have to hang around for a couple of hours are they board.

Another problem might be that we will be unable to check our luggae in as we will be at Gatwick around 5 hours before our flight and wont know if check in will be open.

Our TA did speak to P & O and they said that they could move 2 opf our freinds back to the TUI flight but they have secided that all 4 will stick to the Maleth flight, one starnge thing is we are all coming back on the TUI flight, all seems very annoying that this has happened as we thought we had booked as a group booking.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nellydean said:

This is slightly off topic, but I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this aspect of our TUI Airways flights to and from Birmingham next March. In the Itinerary section of my.pocruises.com, it says this about transfers when we arrive in Barbados:

Things To Know

You will be met at the airport after baggage reclaim and customs for your shared transfer to the cruise port. Your transfer is valid on your day of arrival and is non-transferable and non-refundable.

But, on the Flights section on another page, it says this:

'For our Caribbean fly-cruises, those travelling on TUI Airways charter flight will not need to collect their baggage on arrival; it will be collected on your behalf and delivered to your cabin. Those travelling on scheduled flights will need to collect hold luggage on arrival at the airport.'

My question is, do we assume we have to collect our luggage, as stated in Things To Know, or, might our  flight be chartered and, therefore we don't need to?

The first part seems more to do with the Malta and Tenerife flights. In Barbados though you go from the plane straight onto a coach coming back the luggage is taken from the ship straight to the plane you only have to do security.

25 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

The first part seems more to do with the Malta and Tenerife flights. In Barbados though you go from the plane straight onto a coach coming back the luggage is taken from the ship straight to the plane you only have to do security.

Thanks for your reply. Im hoping that is the case, but the bit about collecting luggage was directly under our flight details, and then our names underneath. How do we find out if our flight is chartered or scheduled?

2 minutes ago, nellydean said:

Thanks for your reply. Im hoping that is the case, but the bit about collecting luggage was directly under our flight details, and then our names underneath. How do we find out if our flight is chartered or scheduled?

It should say what Airline you are with at the top part of the flights sections. If TUI or Maleth then its all bonded and won't see till you get to the ship and vice versa. I believe Megabear said when they flew Virgin the same happened to them but I'm not sure on that.

2 hours ago, Cash123 said:

There are 6 of us going on our cruise, we booked it as a group booking but each of the 3 couples had seperate booking references, today I found out from our TA that our 4 freinds have been changed from TUI to Maleth, this of course will now cause a few problems, the maleth flight is 2 hours ahead of our TUI flights and as we are all going on one minibus it will mean we will have to hang around for a couple of hours are they board.

Another problem might be that we will be unable to check our luggae in as we will be at Gatwick around 5 hours before our flight and wont know if check in will be open.

Our TA did speak to P & O and they said that they could move 2 opf our freinds back to the TUI flight but they have secided that all 4 will stick to the Maleth flight, one starnge thing is we are all coming back on the TUI flight, all seems very annoying that this has happened as we thought we had booked as a group booking.

This must be incredibly frustrating for you all, especially as you have grouped your bookings. I would have expected you to be all on the same flight! 

4 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

It should say what Airline you are with at the top part of the flights sections. If TUI or Maleth then its all bonded and won't see till you get to the ship and vice versa. I believe Megabear said when they flew Virgin the same happened to them but I'm not sure on that.

It's TUI. Many thanks.

• Like 1

The UK CAA rules are very strong in ensuring you get from A to B at the time you want , within 4 hrs, And protecting you from cancellation. If your flight is delayed or cancelled you have the right to book any other flight that will get you there on time.

Unfortunately downgrading is only seen as an inconvenience for which you are entitled to compensation,  not a cause to cancel and get a refund.

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

The UK CAA rules are very strong in ensuring you get from A to B at the time you want , within 4 hrs, And protecting you from cancellation. If your flight is delayed or cancelled you have the right to book any other flight that will get you there on time.

Although if you do that you will inevitably have to take the airline to court to get the money back you spent on the new tickets.

9 hours ago, nellydean said:

It's TUI. Many thanks.

Hi.  You are on a charter if it's TUI.  Basically check in, fly, leave the aircraft, debark, walk across the tarmac and directly on to the bus (no passport control, no collecting luggage).  Your bus will go directly to the port.  Alightvat the "shed" - have your boarding passes, passports and credit card to hand.  You will be called forward and they will check your passport and stamp your boarding pass.  They may retake your photo but it doesn't occur as much as it used to.  You then go through the security machines and board.  Once onboard you should go directly to your muster station where your boarding pass is scanned.  You are now officially onboard and off you go to your cabin which will be ready with keys outside.  Your luggage will be delivered to you.  Extremely simple, takes about 1 1/2 hours from the plane to your room.

If you are sailing on Arvia try to log in to the app the second you are in the shed to start bookings - I can't guarantee it will work, perhaps ICF can pop along and tell you, he's the Arvia expert!!

Relax and have a great holiday.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

I have benn told that the first flights on Maleth to Barbados are due to opperate from early November so would be interested to know if people have already pre booked seats as the 14 weeks would now be within the time frame, if so what were the costs to pre select and also had anyone pre selected seats on a TUI flight to then be told that they had been changed to Maleth.

Im on hold at the moment to P & O to see if they can do anythin about our particular problem but the announcement at the beginning of the call said that they appogise for the technical difficulties they are having for people wanting to pre select seats !!!!!, great so not only have they mucked up our flights between the 6 of us but it looks like we wont be able to pre select seats tomorrow.

This will be our first cruise on P & O as previously have gone with Princess, NCL etc and have to say if the past few days have been anything to go by it may be our last.

59 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Hi.  You are on a charter if it's TUI.  Basically check in, fly, leave the aircraft, debark, walk across the tarmac and directly on to the bus (no passport control, no collecting luggage).  Your bus will go directly to the port.  Alightvat the "shed" - have your boarding passes, passports and credit card to hand.  You will be called forward and they will check your passport and stamp your boarding pass.  They may retake your photo but it doesn't occur as much as it used to.  You then go through the security machines and board.  Once onboard you should go directly to your muster station where your boarding pass is scanned.  You are now officially onboard and off you go to your cabin which will be ready with keys outside.  Your luggage will be delivered to you.  Extremely simple, takes about 1 1/2 hours from the plane to your room.

If you are sailing on Arvia try to log in to the app the second you are in the shed to start bookings - I can't guarantee it will work, perhaps ICF can pop along and tell you, he's the Arvia expert!!

Relax and have a great holiday.

Didn't do it on Arvia. Was so few people at terminal we were 10 minutes from getting on board

But am ready to do following from tips on here as and when I'm ever thinking I'm losing valuable time here

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Didn't do it on Arvia. Was so few people at terminal we were 10 minutes from getting on board

But am ready to do following from tips on here as and when I'm ever thinking I'm losing valuable time here

Depends on your flight time.  If you are on the ones either end and on one if the first buses no wait normally.  If you're flight is the middle one you can meet up with the one from another airport and get held on the bus before checking in.  Fingers crossed you're the one either end!

14 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Depends on your flight time.  If you are on the ones either end and on one if the first buses no wait normally.  If you're flight is the middle one you can meet up with the one from another airport and get held on the bus before checking in.  Fingers crossed you're the one either end!

We were later on. Long wait at airport but zero queues at Barbados terminal so couldn't understand why they made us wait so long at aiprort. Thought we must be arriving to chaos?

Wonder if it's so people associate any waits with the airport rather than P and O?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

Going back many years, I can remember when my airline had 2 aircraft go tech and we had to sub charter.  It probably happens less now that aircraft are more reliable, but on the other hand, fewer people flew then and there certainly weren't cruise ships that took 5000+ people.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We were later on. Long wait at airport but zero queues at Barbados terminal so couldn't understand why they made us wait so long at aiprort. Thought we must be arriving to chaos?

Wonder if it's so people associate any waits with the airport rather than P and O?

The buses are now running in convoy for security reasons.  If the flights are delayed the airport made have to hold you too as it has limited capacity landside with steps etc - remember every aircraft is a different fitting for these things so get 4 dreamliners arrive around the same time and they have 3 lots of steps someone has to wait. That happened to us last year as we were 3 hours late and 5 planes arrived within 20 minutes of each other.  Grantley Adam's is a very busy airport with lots of international flights.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The buses are now running in convoy for security reasons.  If the flights are delayed the airport made have to hold you too as it has limited capacity landside with steps etc - remember every aircraft is a different fitting for these things so get 4 dreamliners arrive around the same time and they have 3 lots of steps someone has to wait. That happened to us last year as we were 3 hours late and 5 planes arrived within 20 minutes of each other.  Grantley Adam's is a very busy airport with lots of international flights.

We waited for steps for sure. But then again even longer just sat on one of the buses within the airport compound

Travelling as a convoy kind of explains it but there was lots of buses sat full of guests together ie we had enough for a convoy sat there for a while

Basically all of the passengers off our plane sat on about 6 or 7 coaches I would say just waiting. 

Maybe they wanted an even bigger convoy!!!

6 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Although if you do that you will inevitably have to take the airline to court to get the money back you spent on the new tickets.

True possibly but less so nowadays, but they will loose and you will get costs back. The CAA has be much more proactive and airlines are much more responsive. 

13 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

True possibly but less so nowadays

I would suggest the opposite given how the regulator has had to bring enforcement action down on some airlines who haven't been paying up for pretty straightforward things.

14 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

but they will loose

Depends on the circumstances.

16 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

and you will get costs back.

The court fee and travel expenses would be all.

18 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

The CAA has be much more proactive and airlines are much more responsive. 

Things are going in the opposite direction with plans by the UK government to water down the rights people gained whilst the UK was in the EU - Aviation Consumer Policy Reform (publishing.service.gov.uk)

• Like 1

Been trying for 12 hours now to book flight seats on Maleth flights following notification email from P&O to do so if Wish. Cannot get through. Function unavailable due to a temporary issue. The help phone number supplied does not exist and P&O robot replier is neither use nor ornament. Travel agent cannot help either. Is anyone having any better luck in seat booking?   kev

Just to let you know they are using extremely dense seating on their planes. Airbus 330/340 normally has a 2/4/2 configuration. This airline has squeezed in another seat with a 3/3/3 configuration. So also very tight for the shoulders. Good luck to those in the middle seats.