Silly question about pools

Sienipaa

Hi there, 

I'm about to go on my first cruise soon (Costa Smeralda if that makes any difference) and I have a bit of a silly question... 

When I want to go to the pool, do I leave my cabin in my swimwear? Is there a robe in the cabin that I can use? Or are there changing rooms in the (indoor) pool area?

I feel silly asking but I'd hate to be walking around the ship in my swimwear only to realize that it's not acceptable haha!

We have always changed in our rooms and, my wife with a coverup and I with a t-shirt, have always walked to and from the pool in our swimwear.  That is perfectly fine.  If the stateroom supplies you with a robe, that is fine to wear as well.  But although there will be restrooms near the pools, in our experience unless the pool is located near the spa which typically will have showers and changing rooms, there have not been dedicated changing rooms for the pool.  But even in that situation, we have not used the spa as a changing room as it is too difficult to carry clothes, shower, dry off, and change - as well as it not being necessary. (Ex: RCCL / Celebrity).

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Cruise ship amenities vary, but some provide robes others don't.  

Cruise ship layout varies and for some the pool are mid and aft and spas are top at the front our back so using the spa facilities can be hit or miss.

You are on a cruise, I've never seen any issues with strolling in flip-flops and swim suite with a shirt for guys, or towel wrap. For women a wrap or shirt thrown over the suit.

In the warm weather cruise you see a lot less modest people too, wander to and fro, LOL 

In my experience, one is always asked to "cover up" before going into other venues such as the buffet, and in my opinion, something like a shirt, or a wrap or little dress, are nicer than a robe. Also, one should dry off at least a bit before sitting down in other venues, so as not to leave a wet puddle.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Every line I’ve sailed (Azamara, Orient, Cunard, Princess, NCL, HAL, Royal Caribbean, Oceania, Celebrity, etc.) has provided robes.

Then mebbe you book higher-end cabins than the miserly JB 😏

The only robes I remember were on MSC and a freebie junior suite upgrade on P&O.

But swimwear plus some sort of cover-up like shorts and tee-shirt is the norm., particularly in the buffet. I've rarely seen robes on the pool decks.

Depending which cruise line, often swimwear not acceptable in indoor bars and almost always in dining rooms other than the buffet.

Bare feet usually unacceptable, even in the buffet 

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Then mebbe you book higher-end cabins than the miserly JB 😏

The only robes I remember were on MSC and a freebie junior suite upgrade on P&O.

But swimwear plus some sort of cover-up like shorts and tee-shirt is the norm., particularly in the buffet. I've rarely seen robes on the pool decks.

Depending which cruise line, often swimwear not acceptable in indoor bars and almost always in dining rooms other than the buffet.

Bare feet usually unacceptable, even in the buffet 

JB 🙂

MSC and P&O - two lines I’ve never sailed. But I have never had a suite on any line, or anything above Britannia on Cunard - but pretty much always an outside, and recently usually a balcony.

On cruises, on land vacations, on days we go to the beach, I just throw a swim coverup over my suit, and a pair of flip flops. Guys thrown on a tshirt. I always have a few options. I don’t think I’ve seen many walk around in a bathrobe. You want a snack? Throw on the coverup.

• Like 1

While some folks do use robes (if provided) many others would not be caught dead or alive in a robe.  DW and I laughingly call folks "robe people" who wear cruise robes around the ship.  On a recent Explora Journeys cruise, two women decided to enter their Lido buffet in robes (we assume they were coming or going to the spa) and were quietly ejected from the venue!  A few of us did find that amusing as it is rare to see any cruise line enforce some rules of decorum.

Hank

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

On a recent Explora Journeys cruise, two women decided to enter their Lido buffet in robes (we assume they were coming or going to the spa) and were quietly ejected from the venue!

Everything has a time and a place, I guess - LOL

On 2/27/2024 at 3:37 AM, Sienipaa said:

When I want to go to the pool, do I leave my cabin in my swimwear? Is there a robe in the cabin that I can use? Or are there changing rooms in the (indoor) pool area?

- Yes, change into your swimwear in your cabin.  It's larger, more comfortable, and you have all your own things (and a mirror) nearby.  

- Wear a cover-up (if you're a lady) or a tee that matches your swim trunks (if you're a man) to the pool.  You will see people walking around the outdoor areas of the ship in this type of clothing -- even coming in and out of the buffet.  

- You may or may not have a robe in the cabin, but that's really not appropriate to wear "out and about".  

- You'll find bathrooms but not changing rooms near the pool.  Okay you could change in the toilet, but why would you?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

- Yes, change into your swimwear in your cabin.  It's larger, more comfortable, and you have all your own things (and a mirror) nearby.  

- Wear a cover-up (if you're a lady) or a tee that matches your swim trunks (if you're a man) to the pool.  You will see people walking around the outdoor areas of the ship in this type of clothing -- even coming in and out of the buffet.  

- You may or may not have a robe in the cabin, but that's really not appropriate to wear "out and about".  

- You'll find bathrooms but not changing rooms near the pool.  Okay you could change in the toilet, but why would you?  

Some ships will have changing rooms by the pools [e.g. Cunard Queen Mary 2] but that appears to be uncommon [not a revenue producing space].

There are often robes in the cabin, but they are really bulky and ugly.  I put on my swimsuit and either wear a light sundress, or usually, pull on shorts and tee over it. I don't know if I've ever seen one in the halls, etc., in just a swimsuit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

There are often robes in the cabin, but they are really bulky and ugly.  I put on my swimsuit and either wear a light sundress, or usually, pull on shorts and tee over it. I don't know if I've ever seen one in the halls, etc., in just a swimsuit.

For any ladies needing cover-ups, try Lands End.  They have a good selection of tee-shirt style, dress-style cover-ups.  I probably have 6-8 in in a variety of colors -- all purchased at the end of the season, some for less than $10, and they all have pockets.  

No, I've never seen anyone walking through the halls or in the elevators in just a swimsuit, but with a cover-up you can feel comfortable in those areas -- or walking into the buffet to pick up a drink.  

While you're planning your outfits, don't neglect a hat and sunglasses.  

8 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

For any ladies needing cover-ups, try Lands End.  They have a good selection of tee-shirt style, dress-style cover-ups.  I probably have 6-8 in in a variety of colors -- all purchased at the end of the season, some for less than $10, and they all have pockets.  

No, I've never seen anyone walking through the halls or in the elevators in just a swimsuit, but with a cover-up you can feel comfortable in those areas -- or walking into the buffet to pick up a drink.  

While you're planning your outfits, don't neglect a hat and sunglasses.  

Yes, I have worn cover ups before but I prefer the look of a knee length little sundress or shorts .  I have found several in the $10 range too!

Also looks nicer if I want to head to the buffet or some other area without going back to the room to change.  I really don't like seeing cabin robes on the pool deck though.  They are so bath-roomy looking

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I really don't like seeing cabin robes on the pool deck though.  They are so bath-roomy looking

I agree.  I do hope you stay clear of the what's acceptable at formal night threads!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1