Embarkation day - best time to board?

Muffinz

We are on Crown Princess from Sydney (Australia) in December and we are in the process of finalising flights / hotel pre cruise - we're getting very excited! 

Last night we were talking about embarkation day and wife said she doesn't want to queue for an hour (give or take) waiting to board the ship and she wants to get to the Cruise terminal in Sydney about 1pm to 'avoid' the queues.... I said that by 1pm I intend to be on the ship having something to eat / drink and relaxing... and I suggested getting to the cruise terminal about 11am-11:30am, but she is dead against this and said in the morning there will be big queues with everyone trying to get on the ship at the same time and she thinks that by about 1pm the queues would have 'died down'

I said that if we have all our details correct we should be in the 'green line' and boarding should be easier than it was in 2018 when we boarded Celebrity Solstice in Sydney (that took about 60 minutes).

Wife doesn't like standing for long periods of time as she has a dodgy knee, but I said it doesn't matter what time we get to the cruise terminal there will be queues, as Crown Princess holds over 3000 passengers.

I'd just prefer to board early so we can relax, unpack our luggage and spend the afternoon exploring the ship.

what are other peoples thoughts on an early or later embarkation?

I am a "get there/board early" passenger.  Unfortunately, you will not be in the Green Lane since Princess does not ship medallions to New Zealand.  The blue lane will need to pickup the medallions at the port upon check in.  Some have said this is a painless process.

What does does it say embarkation starts?  I am usually at San Pedro (LA) by 10 - 10:30 and onboard by 11:30.  Do you have any loyalty level perks for priority boarding?

It is nice to board early and have a leisurely lunch in the MDR (on Deck 6 from noon to 1:30).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am a "get there/board early" passenger.  Unfortunately, you will not be in the Green Lane since Princess does not ship medallions to New Zealand.  The blue lane will need to pickup the medallions at the port upon check in.  Some have said this is a painless process.

What does does it say embarkation starts?  I am usually at San Pedro (LA) by 10 - 10:30 and onboard by 11:30.  Do you have any loyalty level perks for priority boarding?

It is nice to board early and have a leisurely lunch in the MDR (on Deck 6 from noon to 1:30).

ok thanks for that - I thought if we completed all our paperwork on the app, we'd be good to go and just have to pick up our medallion at the port?

I remember for our first cruise (on Solstice) we had to provide credit cards and get our photo taken at the cruise port terminal, but we can do this all on the app and I've done most of it already

I don't know what time embarkation starts as the cruise is still 9 months away.... but Princess will probably send out the embarkation info well before the cruise sail date

this is our first ever Princess cruise - so no loyalty perks or anything unfortunately

32 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

We rarely board before 12 or 1. Don’t miss the rush and lines. We book 15-21 day cruises and will have lots of chances to have lunch

I have not cruised from Sydney...  but we are also get-there-and board early.

I do not know how the port and waiting area is,  but I am assuming that there is an indoor waiting area with seating????    That is absolutely the BEST time...  before the ship fills up...  getting settled in and seeing everything before there are any crowds...  having lunch,  etc.

I am with you on that one!!!  Unless there might be other reasons to not get there early and wait for boarding to begin?????    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muffinz said:

We are on Crown Princess from Sydney (Australia) in December and we are in the process of finalising flights / hotel pre cruise - we're getting very excited! 

Last night we were talking about embarkation day and wife said she doesn't want to queue for an hour (give or take) waiting to board the ship and she wants to get to the Cruise terminal in Sydney about 1pm to 'avoid' the queues.... I said that by 1pm I intend to be on the ship having something to eat / drink and relaxing... and I suggested getting to the cruise terminal about 11am-11:30am, but she is dead against this and said in the morning there will be big queues with everyone trying to get on the ship at the same time and she thinks that by about 1pm the queues would have 'died down'

I said that if we have all our details correct we should be in the 'green line' and boarding should be easier than it was in 2018 when we boarded Celebrity Solstice in Sydney (that took about 60 minutes).

Wife doesn't like standing for long periods of time as she has a dodgy knee, but I said it doesn't matter what time we get to the cruise terminal there will be queues, as Crown Princess holds over 3000 passengers.

I'd just prefer to board early so we can relax, unpack our luggage and spend the afternoon exploring the ship.

what are other peoples thoughts on an early or later embarkation?

I would check with the Aust/NZ forum, as SYD may be a little different.  Someone else started a thread similar to yours.  You might check it out for information.

We are early boarders too.  Love to get settled, have lunch in the MDR and relax.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

ok thanks for that - I thought if we completed all our paperwork on the app, we'd be good to go and just have to pick up our medallion at the port?

I remember for our first cruise (on Solstice) we had to provide credit cards and get our photo taken at the cruise port terminal, but we can do this all on the app and I've done most of it already

I don't know what time embarkation starts as the cruise is still 9 months away.... but Princess will probably send out the embarkation info well before the cruise sail date

this is our first ever Princess cruise - so no loyalty perks or anything unfortunately

Yes, fill out everything on the checkin on the app.  You will get a QR code and boarding information will show on the App about 11 days before sailing.

Print out your travel summary, bring your passports and any other documents required and check in at the terminal.  You will pick up the ocean medallion at the port.

They do not send you an email. You may look at your travel summary, right above the itinerary and it will say boarding times and sail time.

We always go earlier than the time shown, so we can get checked in and in line to board.

The travel summary may not show boarding time, as they

have been making changes and showing it only on the App about 11 days before Sailing.  Who knows?  That may change again.

12 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I would check with the Aust/NZ forum, as SYD may be a little different.  Someone else started a thread similar to yours.  You might check it out for information.

We are early boarders too.  Love to get settled, have lunch in the MDR and relax.

thanks for that - I'll look on that part of the forum  🙂

Guest Snaxmuppet

We turn up so we are one of the first on. We love the empty feel of the ship before everyone has boarded.

In Sydney you have to clear immigration after check-in, before boarding the ship and once you're on, you can no longer leave the ship.

I'm one of those that likes to wait until the 11th hour to check-in and board if I can help it.  Sometimes, I take a Princess transfer out of convenience and I have no choice, but checking-in/boarding late really makes the process a breeze.  There's nothing relaxing about vying for an elevator or trying grab embarkation day lunch at the buffet which is a usually a zoo.  MDR is better option if you can make it; I've only ever gone as a B2B passenger.  Cabins are usually not ready until after 13:00.

TBH, between 11:00 and 13:00 is the craziest embarkation time for 15:00/16:00 departures.

27 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

We turn up so we are one of the first on. We love the empty feel of the ship before everyone has boarded.

Except for the 500 or so passengers on b2b’s

thanks - the cruise is going from Sydney back to Sydney, so no immigration will be needed as there are no overseas ports.

We will still take our passports to the cruise terminal  'just in case' they want to see them, but I have scanned them into the app already

I’m an earlier the better get there, check in, possibly wait a while in the terminal kinda gal. I would much rather be there waiting than at home waiting. 

I like to get a celebratory drink and go to the open dining room for a relaxed lunch and then explore the ship with another celebratory drink. 😁

I have never sailed from Sydney though, so not familiar with the process. 

Either way, have a wonderful cruise!

10 hours ago, Muffinz said:

thanks - the cruise is going from Sydney back to Sydney, so no immigration will be needed as there are no overseas ports.

We will still take our passports to the cruise terminal  'just in case' they want to see them, but I have scanned them into the app already

They will definitely want to see your passports.

Pretty certain I have always had to show a passport - maybe a Govt issued ID would have been ok.

But being from NZ in a foreign country I wouldnt risk not having my passport on me.  

14 minutes ago, robncruise said:

Pretty certain I have always had to show a passport - maybe a Govt issued ID would have been ok.

But being from NZ in a foreign country I wouldnt risk not having my passport on me.  

oh we'll have passports with us, but our immigration in Australia will take place when we land at Sydney Airport and go through customs / immigration... if they want to see the passports at the cruise port then we will get them out, but I don't see why they would

There is no real way of knowing when crowds will be worse or not.  Most people who don't want to rush onto the ship wait till after 1pm, but who knows what it will be like at any time you go.  I would think though if you wanted to avoid crowds and just walk on, go as late as you can.

If one does board early, are the cabins available right away, or do I have to haul around my carry on until they announce rooms are ready?  I seem to remember a cruise a number of years ago (RCCL) where that was the case and it was really awkward trying to relax with a nice lunch with everyone’s carry on cluttering up the area.  Maybe that was a one-off occurrence?

Just now, puzzums said:

If one does board early, are the cabins available right away, or do I have to haul around my carry on until they announce rooms are ready?  I seem to remember a cruise a number of years ago (RCCL) where that was the case and it was really awkward trying to relax with a nice lunch with everyone’s carry on cluttering up the area.  Maybe that was a one-off occurrence?

Cabins aren't usually ready until 1:00 pm or after, at which point an announcement is usually made.  I've been on cruises where the cruise prior had a very low passenger load and cabins were ready at 11:30 am.  If the fire doors leading into the cabin corridors are open, then it's fine to head to your cabin and drop off your luggage and only to drop off your luggage.  If said fire doors are closed, then you'll have to lug them around until the the all clear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

If said fire doors are closed, then you'll have to lug them around until the the all clear.

We've been told - usually by staff helping with the boarding process handing each boarding party a note - that carry-ons can be dropped off in a central location.  If I remember correctly it was a specialty restaurant in at least two cases.  We've never availed ourselves of that offer.  If it is too early for lunch in the MDR (usually noon to 1:30) we usually have a drink up on the Lido deck.  There's always been plenty of space in the MDR for carry=ons and by the time we finish eating, the cabin is ready.

Unless disembarkation of the previous cruise was delayed for any reason then turning up around 11 - 11:30am usually works well. The medallion check-ins are very quick and the OPT staff are very efficient. Have a great cruise.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Cabins aren't usually ready until 1:00 pm or after, at which point an announcement is usually made.  I've been on cruises where the cruise prior had a very low passenger load and cabins were ready at 11:30 am.  If the fire doors leading into the cabin corridors are open, then it's fine to head to your cabin and drop off your luggage and only to drop off your luggage.  If said fire doors are closed, then you'll have to lug them around until the the all clear.

Going to your stateroom right away can very. Since I mostly cruise on Princess, sometimes I can go to my stateroom right away, & at least drop off any carry on. I wouldn’t worry about it as I’m at the terminal well before the boarding time as I want to get on the ship ASAP. I’ve never waited until later as I would rather be relaxing on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise & please come back & let us know how it goes. 

Tom😀