Our 1st grade son wears a skirt. Anyone have experiences to share while their child was in Kids Club?

Traveling out of Galveston on the Harmony in the near future.   Our 7 year old son often wears a skirt but does not identify as a girl.

(Note: If this post offends you in any way or if you're inclined to comment negatively, save yourself the trouble and please move on.  There's no room in this world for hate, especially towards a child, and you have no idea what our specific situation is).

We are fortunate to live in a place where it's a non-issue at school and in our community.  Given the melting pot that is a ship, we're bracing for different attitudes while aboard.

He's a very confident, strong-willed kid that I have no doubt will make fast friends and be running the show, but I'm wondering if anyone in a similar situation (non-binary younger child) has experiences to share with RCL Kids Club staff (positive or negative), or has experienced any kind of comments from adults, bullying by other kids, etc. Also concerned about the bathroom situation if he appears to be a girl using the boys room.  Are there family/gender neutral restrooms in the Kids Club on the Harmony?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 17

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've seen men wearing kilts. Havent paid attention to children tbh. 

I have never noticed any little boys wearing a skirt but I probably would think he was a girl because sometimes it is hard to determine the sex of young children. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, eggman131131 said:

We are fortunate to live in a place where it's a non-issue at school and in our community.  Given the melting pot that is a ship, we're bracing for different attitudes while aboard.

He's a very confident, strong-willed kid that I have no doubt will make fast friends and be running the show, but I'm wondering if anyone in a similar situation (non-binary younger child) has experiences to share with RCL Kids Club staff (positive or negative), or has experienced any kind of comments from adults, bullying by other kids, etc. Also concerned about the bathroom situation if he appears to be a girl using the boys room.  Are there family/gender neutral restrooms in the Kids Club on the Harmony?

I would guess the reaction would be similar as in your local community.

You are sailing out of very conservative state with traditional religious communities so there is that. 

I doubt that adults will say anything in front of your son, only behind his back if they say anything, if they notice he is a boy, not a girl but with kids there are always going to be some bullies. I would think you would want to have a discussion with the RCL kids club staff and give them a heads up.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)

I think kids these days have a very healthy, open and accepting attitude to the differences in people, and your child will just be another 'new friend' at the Kid's Club. My guess also is that the staff in the Kid's Club area will just roll with it - kinda' a 'you be you' acceptance.

Other than perhaps a few turned heads, most folks won't notice or care what a 7 yr old is wearing. The only kids that get noticed are the loud obnoxious ones.   I really wouldn't worry.  I also think that the ship would not tolerate any bias behavior against your child (if any were to occur).

I hope you have an amazing cruise, and enjoy your family vacation!

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 5

Just wanted to mention that we sail out of Galveston a lot and there are all types of people on the cruise, so your DS won't be alone. I know you're asking specifically about Kids Club (and my "kid" is 16 so I can't comment on that), but I have not witnessed any mistreatment of anyone who "looks different" -- I hope this helps and I hope ya'll have the best family vacation!  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I don’t have any experience with the Royal Caribbean kids club or Galveston cruises.

I just want to say that you are an awesome parent for raising your child in a positive and supportive home.

Have a great cruise and make many happy memories.

Edited by Vibe
  • Like 22
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I would recommend speaking to the kids club staff during the open house hours.  There's a few hours the kids club is open on the first day where the parents can register the kids, meet the counselors and show the children the kids club area.  I would hope the youth staff would be supportive of your child, and you will have a better sense of how supportive they are once you meet them.  I would strongly recommend telling them at registration and each time you drop your child off that if your child isn't happy to please call you immediately (you can request a phone but they don't always give them to parents of older children without disabilities).  With my kids, they wouldn't call right away unless I told them to call because some parents get annoyed when they have to pick their kids up before closing.  If they know you want to be called if your child is unhappy, they'll call you right away.

When you talk to the staff at the open house registration hours, ask them how full they expect the kids club to be.  Drop off (especially the first session) is a long chaotic line right at opening times.  The counselors are trying to settle a lot of kids in at once.  If the kids club isn't full and you don't have to worry about losing a spot (this happens rarely on vacations) then you might want to consider dropping your kid off 10 or 15 minutes into the start of the session to miss the chaos of the first drop off.  But you know your child best and know whether its better for them to be at the kids club at the start of the session - its just something to consider.

And a note to other parents - it really isn't a great idea to skip the registration if you have a complicated situation like wanting your kids to move up or down an age group.  There's a long line of people who did register their kids who have to wait behind you in line while your child's complicated registration gets sorted out.  Everyone who wants to have in depth conversations with the kids club staff should go to the open house reregistration.  It's a lot harder for the counselors to learn about your kid when there are 50 people in line trying to check their kids in.  

Oh, and when my son was 2 he had the most gorgeous beautiful curly blonde hair that I didn't have the heart to cut.  He looked like a girl and was constantly mistaken for one.  I just told everyone who said how beautiful a girl she was that he was a boy and not to feel bad about their mistake because it was my fault because I didn't have the heart to cut his hair.  We took a Cunard cruise to Norway and people seemed really nice and supportive.  He's 8 now and I did finally break down and cut his hair when he was 3.   

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, eggman131131 said:

Traveling out of Galveston on the Harmony in the near future.   Our 7 year old son often wears a skirt but does not identify as a girl.

(Note: If this post offends you in any way or if you're inclined to comment negatively, save yourself the trouble and please move on.  There's no room in this world for hate, especially towards a child, and you have no idea what our specific situation is).

Thanks in advance.

If he has no issues at home then he should have none on ship.

What does he do at school or out with the bathrooms?  Should be the same situation.  Also applies to any social situation where he is not with you like the kids club.  If he isn't bullied at school and can handle situations, I truthfully would just let it alone and enjoy your vacation.  People come on cruises that are bald from cancer, including kids, or with a missing limb.  Some people dress in clothing that may be questionable to some.  I really don't think anyone gives a crap if your son wears a dress.  If he is having a good time that's all that should matter to him and you.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I do think that irregardless of where the cruise originates, the op has a legitimate fear that someone on a cruise might say or do something unkind to her child.  My last 3 cruises have been out of ny, and my advice to the op would be the same if they were sailing out of ny.  As a general rule, there’s a lot of support for the lgbtq community in Manhattan, but incidents can still occur.  

Edited by kitkat343

Kids are very accepting- as the song goes- "You've got to be taught".  Just explain to your son that some people aren't very nice- and to try to ignore them.  But definately advise the kids club attendants the day you enroll your son.

On 3/2/2024 at 5:07 AM, jean87510 said:

If he has no issues at home then he should have none on ship.

What does he do at school or out with the bathrooms?  Should be the same situation.  Also applies to any social situation where he is not with you like the kids club.  If he isn't bullied at school and can handle situations, I truthfully would just let it alone and enjoy your vacation.  People come on cruises that are bald from cancer, including kids, or with a missing limb.  Some people dress in clothing that may be questionable to some.  I really don't think anyone gives a crap if your son wears a dress.  If he is having a good time that's all that should matter to him and you.  

Perhaps there are family bathrooms to use so could be a non issue most of the time ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can’t offer any advice as my kids are adults. I do have 4 grandsons and just last week my 8 year old was over told me and he gets bullied in school and so I’ve been teaching him that when others are mean it’s all about them, not him.  I explained why others behave that way. I’m teaching him from the amazing book “The Four Agreements”. Everyone should read it.

I’m betting you, your son and your family will have a wonderful trip. Enjoy!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

It would seem your only way to know how anybody may or may not react would to be experiencing the environment for yourself. Passengers and crew change weekly. While one person may have one experience another person’s experience may be vastly different.

It would unfortunately appear that somebody may be vigilantly looking for a certain reaction where there may or may not be one, which may increase the likelihood of an undesirable outcome. Hopefully that is not the case. 

Edited by kruzerci
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 3:22 PM, eggman131131 said:

He's a very confident, strong-willed kid that I have no doubt will make fast friends and be running the show

I am sure he'll be fine. I hope you all have fun on your cruise.

I would assume that RCI crew would keep their comments to themselves even if any come to their minds. Most kids will hopefully not care one way or another. There may be some comments from adults, but you have probably heard a few over the years, so you know how to handle stray remarks.

Cruises are so crowded these days that one barely has time to notice someone's gender.