Sun Princess Staterooms & Categories

As the Sun Princess is the first of the Sphere class ships for Princess, here is a thread for everyone to discuss cabins/staterooms and categories as there are new ones we have not seen before.  

I'm sure everyone would love to hear feedback  and advice from those who have sailed on her as well as videos or pictures of the various staterooms that you have sailed in.

Please, NO links or videos from Travel Agents from their sites, their you tube channels or their Facebook pages.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 11

Posted (edited)

I'll start off by stating, When it comes to suites, starting with S category. I lobbied princess corp. in their questionnaire forms and beyond, for more amenities, better menu offerings, secluded areas, private dinning area ...  after years of keepin' on keepin' on,  plans for a new class of ship were announced. I am ecstatic to see the sphere class and all it has to offer, including a passenger  tier class approach.  I'm not the only one who had some disparaging comments on lack of commodities while cruising top dollar. My wife and I know there are other lines that offer what we and other individuals desire, and we felt princess was lacking in this particular area. Princess/ccl corp. isn't any different when it comes to wanting our dollars to survive. I will gladly separate from ours, if princess can raise the bar for people like my wife and I, and future passengers who don't mind paying extra, if the extra is worth paying for.

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Would like to hear what people say about the D0 category since this is one of Princess new categories for this ship.  I'll be on this ship next year and would like to know if this category gives you the signature benefits.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am curious to know the experience in the mini suites on Sun with the different configuration options (bed closer to door, bed closer to balcony).   We've always had bed closer to the door (think that has been the only option on other ships in mini suite) and wonder how it is with bed closer to balcony - specifically - navigating to the rest room in the middle of night, or any other nuances to consider.  TIA

• Thanks 1

I have had cabins with both variations. My personal preference is bed by entrance, sofa by balcony.  When I am sleeping, I don't care about the view.  But when sitting on the sofa, it's nice to have the beautiful view right there.  In addition, the deluxe balcony rooms have the desk across from the sofa, so I want the desk by the window/view as well. I've read there are nightlights, so that may help no matter the bed location. 

• Like 9

We have a group of 6 booked Feb 2025 (3 cabins on deck 10) and our cabana mini-suites are all next to each other. If anyone can share photos of how the dividers on the balconies can be opened up, I'd appreciate it!

20 hours ago, c-boy said:

I'll start off by stating, When it comes to suites, starting with S category. I lobbied princess corp. in their questionnaire forms and beyond, for more amenities, better menu offerings, secluded areas, private dinning area ...  after years of keepin' on keepin' on,  plans for a new class of ship were announced. I am ecstatic to see the sphere class and all it has to offer, including a passenger  tier class approach.  I'm not the only one who had some disparaging comments on lack of commodities while cruising top dollar. My wife and I know there are other lines that offer what we and other individuals desire, and we felt princess was lacking in this particular area. Princess/ccl corp. isn't any different when it comes to wanting our dollars to survive. I will gladly separate from ours, if princess can raise the bar for people like my wife and I, and future passengers who don't mind paying extra, if the extra is worth paying for.

We have been suite passengers for many years now and totally agree that Princess has not provided the amenities we feel should be available to full suite passengers sailing at top dollar.  We love Princess but would love to see them step up their game in this area.  Special boarding times and areas and private dining, etc.  We really enjoy the Concierge on the latest ships, but would love to see that on older ships as well.  We are more than willing to pay for the upgrades if and when they are made available.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MTNest93 said:

We have a group of 6 booked Feb 2025 (3 cabins on deck 10) and our cabana mini-suites are all next to each other. If anyone can share photos of how the dividers on the balconies can be opened up, I'd appreciate it!

I have 10411 booked in November of this year.  🙂 (cabana on deck 10)

• Like 2

Reserve mini reserved in November. First-timer on Princess. Let me apologize if my comments of comparison come off wrongly. I am trying to have an open mind when trying new things, but I am spoiled a love beautiful appointed comfort. So I said all of this to say, I’m sucking up not having a special deck access with nice cushion, or shade coverage. ☺️

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, valdean said:

I have had cabins with both variations. My personal preference is bed by entrance, sofa by balcony.  When I am sleeping, I don't care about the view.  But when sitting on the sofa, it's nice to have the beautiful view right there.  In addition, the deluxe balcony rooms have the desk across from the sofa, so I want the desk by the window/view as well. I've read there are nightlights, so that may help no matter the bed location. 

I agree I prefer bed by door.  On Sun, I think (?) this is the first time that the mini-suites have the alternating configurations.  We are already booked for Jan 2025 on a B2B with a bed closer to the balcony on Sun in an S9 (too late to change it, believe it or not) , so wondering what that experience is like.  I am likely to make a middle of the night run to the restroom and don't want to bump into furniture or an obstacle course.  I know about the nighttime lights- we will cover them so as not to wake the other up  - so this will be in the dark.  If anyone on the Sun is in this type of room, appreciate hearing about your experience.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 4:02 PM, Familycruzer11 said:

I am curious to know the experience in the mini suites on Sun with the different configuration options (bed closer to door, bed closer to balcony).   We've always had bed closer to the door (think that has been the only option on other ships in mini suite) and wonder how it is with bed closer to balcony - specifically - navigating to the rest room in the middle of night, or any other nuances to consider.  TIA

The mini suites on Sun will always have the sofa by the balcony. The alternating part of the configuration will be bed by the bath then closet and desk section or closet and desk section then bed.  We prefer the closet and desk section by the bath as it opens up the room and you don't run into the bed immediately. The Sun cabins are quite narrow.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

The mini suites on Sun will always have the sofa by the balcony. The alternating part of the configuration will be bed by the bath then closet and desk section or closet and desk section then bed.  We prefer the closet and desk section by the bath as it opens up the room and you don't run into the bed immediately. The Sun cabins are quite narrow.   

That is not always true on the Sun.  Cabin 9315 says this: Special Notes:
Reserve Collection Reserve Cabana Private Deck Access Sofa By Entrance

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Amy G said:

That is not always true on the Sun.  Cabin 9315 says this: Special Notes:
Reserve Collection Reserve Cabana Private Deck Access Sofa By Entrance

A cabana cabin is different.  It is basically a balcony cabin with the cabana sitting area added between the room and balcony.  In the cabana cabin the closet is across from the bathroom then you either have the sofa or bed configuration.   

• Like 1

I have an interesting question about the Ocean View Staterooms on the Sun.

Of course, they are the alternating jig-saw design, with either the sofa or the bed by the entry.

However, there are a few of these with a narrow simple rectangular shape... no jig-saw bump-out where there would be room for the bed on the wall.

These appear to be too narrow to have the bed on the wall (perpendicular)...  

Could they have the bed under the window????  

They appear to be the narrow width of Inside cabins.

An example would be 5344 - 5349.    

The notes on these all say 'Sofa by the entrance'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Cabin 12623 is a regular mini suite described on deck plans as “sofa by entrance”

Seems they alternate 

• Like 1

We'd like to see Category D1 verandah cabin. It's a deluxe balcony, but on the deck plans it looks like it has an extended balcony, or an extra long cabin? Can't really find any info for this category anywhere. We have cabin #11321 booked for next April. 

34 minutes ago, MustangGT said:

Cabin 12623 is a regular mini suite described on deck plans as “sofa by entrance”

Seems they alternate 

I guess only time will tell how these cabins are layed out. I only know how they are on the Mardi Gras, which is the same layout as the Sun.  There are no sofas by the entrance unless they are cabana minis.  Those cabanas have a totally different layout.  Cabanas alternat the bed and sofa by the door.  Minis alternate bed and closet by the door.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MTNest93 said:

We also have a group of 6 with 3 cabana mini-suites on deck 10 booked for October 2024 cruise.  Until today I didn't realize that our cabins on deck 10 on the Sun are directly above the buffet. I had not clue that cabins were not below us on this booking.  Hoping this will not be too noisy....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kmry said:

We also have a group of 6 with 3 cabana mini-suites on deck 10 booked for October 2024 cruise.  Until today I didn't realize that our cabins on deck 10 on the Sun are directly above the buffet. I had not clue that cabins were not below us on this booking.  Hoping this will not be too noisy....

I just realized that recently as well.  I’d be more concerned if the buffet was on the deck above.  I’m hopeful it won’t be an issue and will be watching for reviews as they become available.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MustangGT said:

Seems they alternate 

Exactly.  Hoping that someone on the Sun can weigh in on how that is. 

8 hours ago, RoperDK said:

We are booked in a Reserve Mini Suite in November. The cabin we selected says the sofa is by the entrance. Hoping this is the case as I want the bed closer to the balcony. I want to wake up, open my eyes, see the ocean and be closer to it!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I wish this were true.

The beds alternate because of the cabin set up. The special note in the description indicates where the sofa or the bed is located. In the deck diagram the indentation in the wall shows location of the bed. Hope this helps folks wanting the bed in a certain location in their room.

image.thumb.jpeg.e24cfbe36aafbf18eb401c13f25de3a3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.58323497bc244378f18c438fdb2092e9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.568e1b233067cec42ea71b1173529552.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/4/2024 at 10:06 PM, valdean said:

I agree with this logic, and would add the additional concern of not wanting the bed too far from the bathroom, but that might be an age thing lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1